Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,380 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu (19775 Views)

Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) / White Rice With Spicy Chicken Stew. Fresh Tomatoes Is Scarce Today So.... / Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Fawklicant: 1:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
A bad workman will always blame his tools. That is Buhari's administration. Always looking for someone or something to blame. They never admit their cluelessness. Audu Ogbeh and Liar Mohammed said the other time that we produce rice in excess and it's everywhere. Now this one is saying another thing. So the supply chain mechanism is now different from what is obtainable in other commodities to the extent that it almost doesn't work?

Incompetence galore.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by lexy2014: 1:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
post=70748924:
Give us this day.
Our daily rice!
u haven't seen d rice? Then y have we hearing that buhari has made giant strides in rice production?
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by blackpanda: 1:55pm On Aug 30, 2018
[s]
iammo:
APC lead FG, and excuses, at first they said Asia rice was cheaper than Nigerian rice because Asian government financed local rice farmers. After budgeting money and starting CBN intervention and fertilizer subsidy, they changed story again claiming the price differences was because a large cargo of plastic rice had been warehoused in Cotonou and they were flooding our Markets. the new excuse is now the rice millers
[/s]

why are u peddling lies and misinformation
Nobody blamed hike in price on plastic rice. Govt only encouraged nigerians to consume home made products rather than imported because its both healthier and better for our economy. Since 2016 i only eat nigerian rice. It is not scarce. I dont know why people complain. i buy mine from next cash n carry in abuja. There are so many brands to choose from
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by ITbomb(m): 1:57pm On Aug 30, 2018
I will continue to say this

Major problem in this country is electricity

Give us electric power and every other thing including governance will be easier
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 30, 2018
such a dumb & lifeless govt of EXCUSES!

#pathetic filth!
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Omeokachie: 1:59pm On Aug 30, 2018
It's scarce yet you ban importation?
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by onlytiles(m): 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2018
When will these people start taking responsibility and finding solutions
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2018
BruncleZuma:
They have come again ooooo
They can praise themselves undecided
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by obi58: 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2018
Mcreloaded:
The problem with local rice is that its too expensive because I know that Ekpoma rice which is sweeter has always been more expensive than foreign imported rice and because of its nutritional values I can tell you that people like us that have means and are well to do can never eat imported rice because its polished and striped of its nutritional value.

Electricity is the sole problem of high cost of production. Not only in rice production but in all other business so please this government should stop looking for excuses or who to blame but rather work on electricity and see all aspects of the economy grow

Don't say what you don't know. Can you prove the imported rice is devoid of nutrients? Till tomorrow no one has heard of deaths related to consumption of foreign rice.

You don't need to knock another person's product to project yours.

As for the government well.... 3 years down the line and in spite of all the media propaganda the truth is still out there that people still consume far more foreign rice than local. The so called lake rice that we expected to have fully established it's market share especially in Lagos is still a seasonal product.
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by karlboss: 2:10pm On Aug 30, 2018
Upon all the 220 billion naira anchor borrowers program by APC government.

Goodluck Jonathan spent billions on rice. Please let us vote a new party

Kingsley moghalu , fela durotoye sowore etc
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Ahmeduana(m): 2:13pm On Aug 30, 2018
THIS IS MY QUESTION FOR THIS IDIOT, WHICH IS SUPPOSE TO BE CHEAPER, LOCAL RICE OR FOREIGN RICE? SO WHAT YOU GUYS WANTS IS FOR FOREIGN RICE TO BE BAN, SO YOU CAN SELL LOCAL RICE EXORBITANTLY, AND ALSO NIGERIANS WILL ONLY SURVIVE AT YOUR MERCY, THE NO ONE REASON I WILL NOT PATRONIZE NIGERIA LOCAL PRICE IS THAT THE FARMERS AND THE SELLERS HAVE EVIL INTENTS, THEY WANT THERE PRODUCTS TO BE SELL MORE COSTLY THAN THE IMPORTED ONES BY PEDDLING LIES THAT LOCAL RICE IS MORE NUTRITIOUS THAN THE FOREIGN ONES. This my is my question, is it not the foreign rice we've be eaten from time immemorial? And up till now have not heard about anyone that died of this rice!!
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Mcreloaded(m): 2:35pm On Aug 30, 2018
obi58:

Don't say what you don't know. Can you prove the imported rice is devoid of nutrients? Till tomorrow no one has heard of deaths related to consumption of foreign rice.

You don't need to knock another person's product to project yours.

As for the government well.... 3 years down the line and in spite of all the media propaganda the truth is still out there that people still consume far more foreign rice than local. The so called lake rice that we expected to have fully established it's market share especially in Lagos is still a seasonal product.

All am saying is that the solution they seek is the same solution to solving all production problems which is electricity and for your information i it is my own opinion that local rice is more nutritious and devoid of preservatives which I like to eat and mind you Ekpoma rice has always been more expensive than foreign rice and believe it or not the rich alone buy it here in Edo state and there is never enough for the common man because its more expensive due to production cost. Ekpoma rice sweet die
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by SachaBastien(m): 2:45pm On Aug 30, 2018
If rice produced in Nigeria is so much yet scarce because of "disconnect" between Miller's and supply chain;
1. What are they doing with the huge stockpile.....eating it all by themselves? As every Miller is in business to make money.

2. Why is it more expensive than rice that has travelled through the Indian ocean and the Atlantic to get here?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by djon78(m): 2:47pm On Aug 30, 2018
Nigeria is just a very funny country. There is a lot of dishonesty in the system. Why do we really do this to ourselves?

They are just being dishonest, they just want the high price of rice to continue. Because if there has been a significant amount of rice produced locally, the wise thing to do is to crash the price of local rice. If done, there will be higher demand resulting in more production. Thereby we can easily produce for the entire nation and even for export. And on the other hand improving on the quality of local rice to beat foreign ones.

But no they won't do that. They will only hoard the local rice to sustain High price of rice. This keeps on sustaining the demand for foreign rice.

This is basic economics but our people won't use their brain to think. What a nation.

More the government is not helping the matter. In other countries where things work, the consumer protection council sets price of daily used commodities and staples like flour, wheat, sugar, maize, rice. But where are our own consumer protection council?

I weep for this nation!!
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Bizibi(m): 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2018
After the bragging and open bare face lies,haba!!!! We are not dummies.
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by chronique(m): 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
Integrated millers were scared to push out their products for fear of price competition and they ended up doing what with it? Oh,i remember now. They are boiling it and sharing for their family members... Nigerian government and their useless lies.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by galaxy2020(m): 3:02pm On Aug 30, 2018
LIFELESS excuse from a LIFELESS government.
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by djon78(m): 3:05pm On Aug 30, 2018
pol23:
APC is the poorest form of government any group could have...I bet they can't manage a primary class well.
But away from APC, PDP is only better than APC,they're not the type of Government we need either.
When our local product is more expensive than imported goods....that only tells us a thing...Nigeria is lazy...Nigerians on the other hand are quite hardworking,but the government policy is only there for few people who believe they own the country.
Tin tomato is #50 which sure much than fresh tomato.
Tin milk is 200 while fresh milk is almost not available,I only tasted that once.
Titus fish is 300 while catfish is 550 (the same size)
Frozen chicken is 1400 while live/life chicken is 3500.
I can go on and on....
If our produce are not affordable,how on earth do we think we can break the international market.
Una never add shipping fee and taxes E no dey affordable for the locals...
Just imagine say Innoson cost pas Toyota.

The problem is from our policy makers. Infact local production can generate serious economic multiplier effect but the policy makers don't care about the local ordinary man.

If the government want they can crash the price, via consumer protection council. By first crashing the price of local raw materials. Giving incentives to local producers like funds, grants and subsidies. Farmers in US and even China get subsidies from the government, thereby there products are cheap on the international/global markets. Even the Arab airlines like Emirates, Qatar, etihad are subsidised, that's why many western airlines cannot match them.

We have very wicked, dull and completely uninformed policy makers. And they don't understand that local production is the key to unlocking Nigeria's economic potential which has a scary proportion if you look at the numbers.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by murmee: 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2018
I have been looking for Nigerian rice to buy but I don't see any because they are sometimes rebagged with foreign labels.

The way to solve this problem is for Government to introduce designated Stalls to sell only Nigerian rice in all the major markets like Daleko, Ido, Mushin, Oshodi etc in Lagos and replicate the stalls all over major markets in Nigeria. The stalls should be easy to locate with Signboard.

Once Nigerians get used to eating the locally produced rice, the foreign ones will naturally go into extinction.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by georgelilian154(f): 3:11pm On Aug 30, 2018
Why all this Excuses for crying out loud... just solve these problems already... and if you cant, just shut up and see how we Bring in people who are ready to work in 2019. APC is a complete disgrace.
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Rita2823: 3:21pm On Aug 30, 2018
Do you want to drill a borehole and get the purest water at the most affordable price? Look no further. Call us on 08021327779 or like our facebook page @ P. E water tech and leave us a message.
P. E water tech...... Purity guaranteed

Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by BIGDADDY000(m): 3:27pm On Aug 30, 2018
MEDIOCRITY!
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by Jaqenhghar: 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2018
The truth is Nigeria is still not producing at that capacity. You cant blame the rice farmers either. What inventives are there for them?
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by bizzibodi(m): 4:11pm On Aug 30, 2018
The price diff btw foriegn & local is so close,my wife told me that local rice don't rises like foriegn,so don't last like foriegn.
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by brojoshua: 7:13pm On Aug 30, 2018
The reason will be that enough of the local rice is not being produced, very simple, there is no need for lying or giving foolish excuses. Governments and farmers should increase production so that supply can be more than demand and there may be excess to export
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by evy800(f): 7:26pm On Aug 30, 2018
The last I heard about this story of Nigerian rice exorbitant price is that there was no sack to bag them...what changed again?
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by sweetilicious(f): 9:43pm On Aug 30, 2018
iammo:
APC lead FG, and excuses, at first they said Asia rice was cheaper than Nigerian rice because Asian government financed local rice farmers. After budgeting money and starting CBN intervention and fertilizer subsidy, they changed story again claiming the price differences was because a large cargo of plastic rice had been warehoused in Cotonou and they were flooding our Markets. the new excuse is now the rice millers
The market is high.I sell local rice.People prefer it
Re: Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu by IMASTEX: 9:44pm On Aug 30, 2018
Ekez:
Blame,blame dem don blame tire to the extent dem dey blame rice millers ,
Another person to blame naw go be rice farmer
Thereafter, the soil, rain, sun even God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers / How To Make Snail Pepper Soup / 7 Healthy Ways To Fry Foods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.