Stats: 3,159,416 members, 7,839,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit (796 Views)

Atiku Abubakar, Ambode At The London Summit / Atiku Abubakar Flies In A Private Jet Ahead Of London Summit . Photo / Analysis Of Jonathans Ministers (2) (3) (4)

Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 8:01pm On Jun 28, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigeria summit underwhelms, stirs controversy at home[/size]
Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:06pm GMT 
Joe Brock

LONDON (Reuters) - Nigeria's last-minute decision to scale down a massive delegation due at a business summit in London on Monday may have appeased some critics at home but it left foreign investors less than delighted.

President Goodluck Jonathan had been expected to lead dozens of ministers, state governors and government officials to the conference, where they were due to address issues from bank and power sector reforms to eradicating counterfeit drugs.

But Jonathan and most of the delegation pulled out amid criticism of profligacy over the planned trip, which would have come days after he returned from a G20 summit in Toronto.

"The president was in Canada and he was supposed to come to London on the 30th and meet the prime minister (David Cameron) on the 1st (of July), but that meeting was resolved in Canada so there was no need to come here," said Works and Housing Minister Sanusi Daggash, one of the few ministers to come.

Some investors who attended the event, billed as Nigeria's Golden Jubilee Summit to mark 50 years of independence from Britain, were unimpressed.

"It's a massive disappointment," said one European investment banker, who asked not to be named.

"They've got to realise that they're not the only boys on the block. This week I'll hear from Turkey, Indonesia all competing for money and it's only the ones who do the very best who win the prizes," he said.

Jonathan, who is widely expected to seek re-election in polls due by next April and is sensitive to public opinion, had been billed as the keynote speaker. Oil Minister Diezani Allison-Madueke had been due to speak on the outlook for Nigeria's mainstay oil and gas industry.

"It's pretty embarrassing for the Nigerians that no one has come," said an independent Middle Eastern investor.
However, the Nigeria Labour Congress described the plans to send such a large delegation to London as a "national disgrace".

Presidential adviser Barth Nnaji outlined plans to improve regulation of the domestic power sector while credit ratings agencies Standard & Poor's and Fitch gave their views on the outlook for the banking sector.

"Nigeria has to compete with other markets to source their capital. Legal certainty, policy certainty, communication is critical in attracting international capital," said Mark Young, Managing Director of Financial Institutions at Fitch.

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE65R0WO20100628?sp=true
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 8:04pm On Jun 28, 2010
. . .And Nigeria's never ending journey through stone age ways of doing things. angry
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 28, 2010
Beaf as usual always in haste to defend jonathan.by the way,what has that got to do with the larger percentage of nigerians that opposed the idea.we should start regretting now because oyibos are angry with the small party he took along.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Jun 28, 2010
Beaf:

LONDON (Reuters) - Nigeria's last-minute decision to scale down a massive delegation due at a business summit in London on Monday may have appeased some critics at home but it left foreign investors less than delighted.

President Goodluck Jonathan had been expected to lead dozens of ministers, state governors and government officials to the conference, where they were due to address issues from bank and power sector reforms to eradicating counterfeit drugs.

"It's pretty embarrassing for the Nigerians that no one has come," said an independent Middle Eastern investor.
However, the Nigeria Labour Congress described the plans to send such a large delegation to London as a "national disgrace".

hhhmmm . . .  so how many people actually went with him and who were they? Is it that the president left the important folks behind and took with him the follow-follows?

Could the ministers and governors not go out on their own time to meet with these investors? Or did it all have to happen at this particular summit? I mean what about the allowances we pay them for travel and hosting these same investors?

Do other countries rush out with all the governors and ministers as well or na only naija suppose do that one?
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by DisGuy: 9:50pm On Jun 28, 2010

Sorry mate, they've gone to the estate agents viewing choice properties for their girlfriends

middle eastern investor me a$$
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 28, 2010
Dis Guy:

Sorry mate, they've gone to the estate agents viewing choice properties for their girlfriends

middle eastern investor me a$$

rotflmao
Kobojunkie:

hhhmmm . . .  so how many people actually went with him and who were they? Is it that the president left the important folks behind and took with him the follow-follows?

Could the ministers and governors not go out on their own time to meet with these investors? Or did it all have to happen at this particular summit? I mean what about the allowances we pay them for travel and hosting these same investors?

Do other countries rush out with all the governors and ministers as well or na only naija suppose do that one?
well said,over to beaf.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by tpiah: 10:15pm On Jun 28, 2010
are they!!!

@ topic
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 10:29pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

rotflmaowell said,over to beaf.

Do you really think I should answer to those shockingly daft questions?
First of all, if kobojunkie by his own admission, doesn't know who was on the Presidents entourage, by what magic can he infer that it was made up of ministers and governors? Thats like market womens gossip and cheap rumour mongering.
I won't attend to daft insinuations, thank you.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On Jun 28, 2010
Talk about not reading your the very article you started your own thread with . . .

Beaf:

[size=13pt] President Goodluck Jonathan had been expected to lead dozens of ministers, state governors and government officials to the conference, [/size] where they were due to address issues from bank and power sector reforms to eradicating counterfeit drugs.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 28, 2010
Beaf:

Do you really think I should answer to those shockingly daft questions?
First of all, if kobojunkie by his own admission, doesn't know who was on the Presidents entourage, by what magic can he infer that it was made up of ministers and governors? Thats like market womens gossip and cheap rumour mongering.
I won't attend to daft insinuations, thank you.
what  i'm more concerned is the number of people that followed him and stop being naive about the calibre of people that followed.everybody knows that the entourage of the president is made up of governors,ministers and senators among others which do not include market women.just be objective and answer the question.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 11:00pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

what i'm more concerned is the number of people that followed him and stop being naive about the calibre of people that followed.everybody knows that the entourage of the president is made up of governors,ministers and senators among others which do not include market women.just be objective and answer the question.

Maybe you should try to become an Ifa priest, since you have the remote control to the pen that writes invitations in Aso Rock. I don't do cheap rumour.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 11:03pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Beaf as usual always in haste to defend jonathan.by the way,what has that got to do with the larger percentage of nigerians that opposed the idea.we should start regretting now because oyibos are angry with the small party he took along.

Of course, in the rumour mongers World, merely posting an article for discussion amounts to "defending Jonathan". Na wa! cry cry cry cry
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 28, 2010
Beaf:

Maybe you should try to become an Ifa priest, since you have the remote control to the pen that writes invitations in Aso Rock. I don't do cheap rumour.
can you tell me the objective of this post and how it countered a former report we heard before that jonathan would be travelling to G8 summit as an observer with 200 delegates.is that report correct ? If it's not,can you tell the people that makes the entourage of a state governor and that of the president.if you dont know,you may wish to learn,please.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by xterra2(m): 11:28pm On Jun 28, 2010
Presidency said it was around 380 people on Jonathans Team
Okay i remember how people were criticising Jonathan over his planned 200 people
For Nigerians and Nigeria it is better for us.A government offficial on official visit abroad get $550 per day they call it "estacode"
IF it was the Large delegation those foreigners want lets say 200 as was 'originally' planned a day is $550 * 200 +$110,000
Now for two days $110,00 *2 = $220,000 and to convert it to naira = N33 million thats the concern of us Nigerians
^^thats just estacode there is feeding,accomodation allowance
This is not the first of any visit to foreign countries
The foreigners would benefit cause the delegation would lodge in a hotel (those guys?, 6 stars) and it would be better for their economy as the money would go to the hotel owners and in turn spend more which will help their economy will we suffer here,
If you read print newspapers like i do you will notice NIPC (nigerian investment promotion council) [am i right?somtin like dat sha]
Where forign companies,ambassadors,delegation,ministers all go there like the name said INVESTMENT PROMOTION OCUNCIL if foreigners want to do business in Nigeria they go there first now that man should comne to abuja go there first and head to villa (like investors do) meet with sambo or jonathan tell dem i want to do this help me i need land,security e.t.c
Now am sure evven if it is 1000 people nothin would come out of it and for investmnet it is better you VISIT than a powerpoint presentation and lies by a lieing unelected corrupt politician

Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 11:53pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

can you tell me the objective of this post and how it countered a former report we heard before that jonathan would be travelling to G8 summit as an observer with 200 delegates.is that report correct ? If it's not,can you tell the people that makes the entourage of a state governor and that of the president.if you dont know,you may wish to learn,please.

Why are you assuming it is a counter to anything? shocked Have I told you my mind (or you are really an Ifa high priest that knows the unknown)? Is it possible to have an objective discussion with you?

Simple example, xterra2 has a negative view of the trip, but has put his views across very constructively; there is no attacking the messenger or rumour mongering or other none-essential stuff. Learn to do the same.

Abeg!
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by xterra2(m): 12:15am On Jun 29, 2010
in my above post i meant 38 not 380
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Kobojunkie: 12:59am On Jun 29, 2010
ROFLMAO!!!!

And here I was actually holding out hope for some meaningful response even after discovering he did not even read the article before concluding that OYIBO's ARE SAD!!!
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by paddylo1(m): 1:08am On Jun 29, 2010
@Beaf

It wasnt the G8 summit. . it was a planned Investment summit in london. . .pls edit your title
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 1:13am On Jun 29, 2010
paddy_lo:

@Beaf

It wasnt the G8 summit. . it was a planned Investment summit in london. . .pls edit your title

Thanks, its sorted.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Beaf: 1:19am On Jun 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Talk about not reading your the very article you started your own thread with . . .

The article merely speculated.
Did the Presidency tell you who was to be in the London trip? Anything short of that is guesswork, assumption or worse, rumour mongering. Educated people shouldn't play shuch games.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by paddylo1(m): 1:24am On Jun 29, 2010
Anything that will bring capital into the country is welcome

I am also somewhat dissapointed the President didnt make it. .

Hope the Finance Minister,or CBN Governor was able to represent the country
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Demdem(m): 8:46am On Jun 29, 2010
Abegii, in my own opinion, i dont trust these oyibos at all and let them all go siddon.
Those who have the money and willing to invest will come on their own and make maximum profit from the economy whether we go there or not jare. Come to think of it, how many of these foreign companies presently in naija were wooed before they came? Companies want to make profits and they (some though) will do anything within and outside the laws of to make such. Despite the fact that the Naija Delta region is a delicate region in terms of security, we still av foreign establishments there making their profit. Abegii, let them all siddon jare.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 29, 2010
Beaf:

Why are you assuming it is a counter to anything? shocked Have I told you my mind (or you are really an Ifa high priest that knows the unknown)? Is it possible to have an objective discussion with you?

Simple example, xterra2 has a negative view of the trip, but has put his views across very constructively; there is no attacking the messenger or rumour mongering or other none-essential stuff. Learn to do the same.

Abeg!
Beaf:

Did the Presidency tell you who was to be in the London trip? Anything short of that is guesswork, assumption or worse, rumour mongering. Educated people shouldn't play shuch games.
oh the article speculated and you still went ahead and post it because it suits a part of you.if you believe the part that tells us that the oyinbos are sad,then you should be ready to believe other parts also.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by buffox: 12:10pm On Jun 29, 2010
@ all,

we need to examine the most important phrase in this text 'Jonathan, who is widely expected to seek re-election in polls due by next April and is sensitive to public opinion, '

It is obvious this man is only trying to do anything to retain himself for another 4 years, and has thrown every other thing to the wind. If they had investors on their agenda, why the heck would he chicken out because some people are talking? Why doesn't he put out a statement on what the trip is for and justify it; he has a media spokesperson afterall.

All they needed to do was reduce their 10 assistants to 4 and move on. If nigerians want proof, take NTA with you and let them beam the signals to us to show that it is not all jamboree but also good business - but HRH GEJ wants to be the goodie goodie listening president - naivety at its best; this man doesnot deserve to be president! Bet you all this would not happen after May 2011.
Re: Oyibo's Are Very Sad At Small Size Of Jonathans Team at London Summit by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On Jun 29, 2010
Beaf:

ROFLMAO!!!

Oh!! now the article which you have BASED your silly reasoning on  only SPECULATED?? ROFLMAO!!!

I am sorry but this is getting unbelievably ridiculous. You posted the article, without taking time to READ IT YOURSELF. Now I post questions on what is CONTAINED IN THE ARTICLE, you jump to claim the article merely speculated, but you go ahead to state that anything short of what it says is guess work and what not? ROFLMAO!!!

Ogbeni, what the heck are you on? ROFLMAO!!

Okah’s Battle With Jonathan: The Untold Story / What Do You Think Of This Political Quote? / Campaign Group For Nuhu Ribadu 2011

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56