Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

The New Whatsapp Message That Can Crash Your App And Phone - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The New Whatsapp Message That Can Crash Your App And Phone (685 Views)

How To Read Any One Whatsapp Message On Your Android Device. / Create And Upload Your App On Play Store !!!(CLOSED) / Bulk Whatsapp Message Sender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The New Whatsapp Message That Can Crash Your App And Phone by truekingmike(m): 3:23pm On Aug 30, 2018
A bug is being forwarded via WhatsApp messages which when tapped, could send not just the Android app crashing but possibly even the entire Android device as well, the media reported.

"As with any message bomb, it involves sending and receiving a specially crafted message with hidden symbols in-between spaces. Tapping on a portion of the text will basically make the app 'expand' the hidden symbols, potentially overloading the app and even the OS," SlashGear reported on Sunday (May 6).

"There seem to be two variants of this WhatsApp message being forwarded. One involves an ominous black dot that comes with a warning on what will happen if you tap on it which most curious cats will do anyway," the report added.

“If you touch the black point then your WhatsApp will hang”. The line is followed by a 'Black dot' in the next line and the words "t-touch here". Upon touching the black icon, the app freezes. As per reports, the message uses an RLM (right-to-left mark) as opposed to WhatsApp's Left-to-Right format, which causes the app to crash. The message is said to affect both Android and iOS.

Another "message bomb" which is causing the messaging platform to crash is more "nefarious, looks too innocent" and does not come with a warning. The message includes special characters followed by an emoji that do not display visibly but are used to change text behaviour. The message, containing the text "This is very interesting!" is followed by a crying laughing emoji at the end. As per a Reddit user, the message is so heavy that it is crashing the smartphone upon copying and pasting on another chat box. The string of characters, leading to the enormous size of the message is what is expected to be crashing the app.

The problem of WhatsApp being crashed by some forwarded messages has been experienced since long, with such messages repeatedly taking new forms. Such messages or "message bombs" are not limited to Android. Even iMessage is not immune to bugs that could send the app crashing.

WhatsApp has not commented on the potentially disruptive bug so far.
Re: The New Whatsapp Message That Can Crash Your App And Phone by Solidkay(m): 4:22pm On Aug 30, 2018
Crazy hackers everywhere
Re: The New Whatsapp Message That Can Crash Your App And Phone by telenerd: 5:03pm On Aug 30, 2018
Just in case, I have an active contact and email database for sale. I will also show you some WhatsApp marketing automation trick on getting the database. Kindly check this thread for more info https://www.nairaland.com/4705657/verified-active-email-phone-number#70754503

(1) (Reply)

Toomakesense entertainment blog / Who Can Help Me Register For Amazon Or Clickbank For Marketers, I Will Pay You, / Someone Here Called Me A Scammer..adsense Buyers And Sellers Make Una Come Oo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.