Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack (828 Views)

Homosexuality Rises In Nigeria Few Days Into Biden’s Presidency / Nigerian Soldiers Cry Out After Boko Haram Attack Killing 100 / Soldiers Who Survived Boko Haram Attack In Borno (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by Mgbadike80: 7:37pm On Sep 02, 2018
Nigerian soldiers death toll rises in daring Boko Haram attack

Seventeen additional bodies of gallant Nigerian soldiers who lost their lives while preventing Boko Haram thugs from overrunning their base on Thursday evening have been recovered by a search and rescue team overseeing the aftermath of the attack, PREMIUM TIMES has learnt.
The remains of one officer and 16 soldiers were recovered this weekend in the general area of Mobbar Local Government Area, Borno State, multiple military sources told PREMIUM TIMES. The soldiers were attacked at their base in Zari Village, north of Maiduguri and near the border with the Republic of Niger.
Troops from 145 Battalion who are leading the search and rescue efforts have transferred the bodies to Maiduguri, Borno State capital and heart of the Boko Haram’s campaign of terror, sources said.
Search and rescue operations have intensified for the remaining soldiers who are still missing in action as of Saturday night.
At least two officers and 46 soldiers have now been confirmed killed in the attack with the latest recoveries, which came a day after PREMIUM TIMES reported that
31 soldiers had been confirmed killed and 19 wounded in the attack.
The attack is the deadliest against a unit since Boko Haram resumed its attacks against military formations in July.
Scores of Nigerian troops were killed in
successive attacks between mid and late July,
raising fresh concerns about a resurgent sect amongst top military chiefs. At least 90 soldiers have now been confirmed killed within the past six weeks.
The Army confirmed Zari attack occurred in a statement late Friday, but Onyema Nwakchukwu — a spokesperson for the theatre command in Maiduguri— initially said soldiers killed many Boko Haram insurgents when they repelled the attack.
But when told by PREMIUM TIMES that there are confirmations that dozens of troops were killed, Mr Nwachukwu, a colonel, said he did not immediately have details of military casualties.
“I am only aware of aerial bombardment and the response of the ground troops that left many Boko Haram fighters killed,” Mr Nwachukwu said by telephone Saturday afternoon. “But I am not aware of soldiers’ casualties and I would not have such information until it gets to my desk.”
Mr Nwachukwu could not be reached for comments about the additional recoveries Sunday afternoon, as his telephone line indicated it was switched off.
Texas Chukwu, chief spokesperson for the Nigerian Army who had largely refrained from commenting to the media on the attack, insisted no soldiers were killed in Zari on Thursday.
“No soldier was killed and nothing was recovered,” Mr Chukwu, a brigadier-general, told PREMIUM TIMES Sunday afternoon when told that military responders have recovered fresh bodies and evacuated them to Maiduguri. “We do not know where you are getting this information from.”
Mr Chukwu also said Boko Haram casualties could not be confirmed because the insurgents usually carry bodies of their colleagues when fleeing from a firefight.
The Nigerian Air Force said it launched aerial bombardment of Boko Haram positions during its response to the attack, and uploaded a short video clip of fleeing terrorists who it said were neutralised.

The latest recoveries of bodies of slain soldiers also come at a period President Muhammadu Buhari was highlighting the success of his administration in decimating the terror group.

Speaking at an interactive session at the weekend with members of the Nigerian community in China during his trip to the country, the president reaffirmed that his government has succeeded in curtailing Boko Haram insurgents in the country, adding that the terror group no longer controls any part of the country.
He attributed the success to operations of security agencies deployed to counter insurgency in the North-eastern part of the country.
‘‘You will all recall that we contested the last election basically on three issues, which includes security, especially in the North-east,” Mr Buhari was quoted as saying in a statement by the presidency.
‘‘The Boko Haram used to occupy quite a number of local governments in Borno State but they are not in anyone now. They have resorted to a very dangerous way of terrorism by indoctrinating young people, mostly girls and attacking soft targets, churches, mosques and marketplaces,’’ he said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/282274-nigerian-soldiers-death-toll-rises-in-daring-boko-haram-attack.html
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by Mgbadike80: 7:37pm On Sep 02, 2018
A python dancer just got what he bargained for, to hell with him. what about the innocent Biafrans they have been killing? those are my true heroes.

Don't mind those idiots, Governor Ortom said over fifty security operatives (and thousands of civilians) have been killed in Benue state alone this year by Fulani herdsmen yet they have not been declared terrorists while unarmed IPOB youths are been killed in their hundreds and they expect love and patriotism from us? thunder scatter them. my only happiness is that under Buhari, every part of Nigeria is experiencing the same hunger, killings, SARS, Marginalisation etc. more and more people around the country are sounding like Nnamdi Kanu. One day, the message of IPOB that they rejected would be the gospel they would be preaching. that let this country be split by a referendum.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by ikdaddy01(m): 7:40pm On Sep 02, 2018
Waiting for the z**** to say it's a lie
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by meolaniyi(m): 7:44pm On Sep 02, 2018
Lifeless army with lifeless C In C
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 02, 2018
this story is from 2014 .
how can bokoharam , a group already defeated by the lifeless one and his useless online army be able to attack the Nigerian army?
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by Shelumiel: 8:10pm On Sep 02, 2018
When things like this happen I begin to question why God placed me (and every other sane individual ) in this sh*t hole called Nigeria .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by Racoon(m): 8:30pm On Sep 02, 2018
"..At least two officers and 46 soldiers have now been confirmed killed in the attack with the latest recoveries, which came a day after PREMIUM TIMES reported that 31 soldiers had been confirmed killed and 19 wounded in the attack..."
“No soldier was killed and nothing was recovered,” Mr Chukwu, a brigadier-general, told PREMIUM TIMES Sunday afternoon when told that military responders have recovered fresh bodies and evacuated them to Maiduguri. “We do not know where you are getting this information from.”
E no go better for the present army leadership & APC government & all who have brought this catastrophe including the zombies. sad sad angry
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by Mgbadike80: 8:57pm On Sep 02, 2018
Shelumiel:
When things like this happen I begin to question why God placed me (and every other sane individual ) in this sh*t hole called Nigeria .
lol, guy,believe it or not, the future of this country looks worse than the present especially for the honest youths. Nigeria is fast becoming the biblical Israel where one can't eat unless he's a thief or a liar. example, the BMC crew.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by ojmaroni247(m): 9:35pm On Sep 02, 2018
Quite saddening
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by rexlims(m): 10:22pm On Sep 02, 2018
In a sane country, the heads of all d military formations would have voluntarily resigned for these gross inefficiencies on their part. But in my country it will never happen cos d so-called president is not prepared to do the needful by changing personal because he is a bigot and nepotistic. I weep for my country embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Toll Rises In Daring Boko Haram Attack by Mgbadike80: 6:45am On Sep 03, 2018
ojmaroni247:
Quite saddening
we're rejoicing over it.

(1) (Reply)

15 Images That Says It All About Nigeria Since 1960 / Breaking: Rochas Okorocha's Faction Of APC Declares Uche Nwosu Winner Of IMO APC / Those Who Said Buhari Is Too Old Have Now Voted A 72yrs Old Atiku As There Flag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.