Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award (44585 Views)

Busquets Becomes Barcelona New Captain After Lionel Messi's Departure / Jurgen Klopp Wins Men's Coach Of The Year At FIFA's Best Award / "Barcelona Preparing For Life After Lionel Messi" - President Bartomeu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Sundayjoko: 10:43pm On Sep 03, 2018
ahmEenu:
WORLD BEST? SALAH DIDNT WIN ANY TROPHY , OR DID HE WIN THE WORLD CUP? MODRIC WON ONLY CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, SAME WITH C.RONALDO. MESSI WAS THE HIGHEST GOAL SCORER IN THE WHOLE OF EUROPE LAST SEASON.....
It's like you Messi fans all say when it comes to Ronaldo goals arent all in football so don't fall back on being the highest goal scorer in Europe now because GOALS AREN'T ALL IN FOOTBALL grin grin

E pain dem grin grin grin cool

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by SpeedndAccuracy(m): 10:45pm On Sep 03, 2018
A team plays 38 matches in the league and everyone gets to play everyone (not in cup matches where u can be lucky).

The obsession with goals is just something else as that shouldn't be the only prerequisite.

As a messi fan that you are, where were you when Ronaldinho won the best despite crashing out in the round of 16 in 2005?

Or when he missed out a year later despite winning the champions league.

A Chelsea player could as well have been awarded the best player when they won the champions league.

My point is, the award is for the best player, and not the best team.

Neither Messi nor C.Ronaldo deserve to have won it in all the years they did.

The best player we all know, but whether he was the best performer in a season is a different issue.

De Bruyne was the best premier league player last season but of course goals blinded most and man city's collapse in the champions league also played its part.

Jarus:
I'm a Messi fan, but sentiments aside, Messi has no place in Top 3. Anyone can win league.

Forget league, it is basic. It doesnt count much

2 Likes

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by patrickcollins: 10:55pm On Sep 03, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
This is a world best, not LA liga best player...

De Brunye also won league and Carling cup... Should he also be nominated?
How many goals and assist and trophies he get
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by ahmEenu(m): 10:55pm On Sep 03, 2018
Sundayjoko:

It's like you Messi fans all say when it comes to Ronaldo goals arent all in football so don't fall back on being the highest goal scorer in Europe now because GOALS AREN'T ALL IN FOOTBALL grin grin

E pain dem grin grin grin cool
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by chiboy1116: 10:58pm On Sep 03, 2018
Jarus:

Same Salah booted out Roma that booted out Messi from UCL.

Same Salah, half fit, scored 2 goals in 2 matches in WC. Messi scored 1 in 4 matches.
oga...stfu...ur not a Barca fan....lwkmd.....if URL really are a Barca fan u wouldnt HV said anybody can win the league , oga Barca was shit last season , they were so shit that they needed Messi to play almost all the league games ....u need to watch Barca last season , forget the unbeaten stuff ....they were shit , thank God for Ter , umtiti , rakitic .....without Messi Barca wouldnt have been in the top 3 , its like u didn't watch Barca last season .....Barca got knocked out of the UCL cos u can't depend on one man alone in the UCL , and that's fact mate , de deceive your self say u b Barca fan , Messi deserves to b in the top 3 , the fact that Ronaldo wasn't consistent sef discards him already , but who cares , just win the UCL , or go to the final, a guy that dominated laliga last season ? U de say any body can win the league , is it not an individual award? Sha wetin concern me all this awards have been shit since 2012 . So I don't really care , Ronaldo , Messi, modric .

4 Likes

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Realname: 10:59pm On Sep 03, 2018
abduljabbar4:
Salah didn't win anything sef

I am a CR7 fan but come on, Salah should not be there and Mess should be up there with CR7

Salah performed for just one season was a no show aat the world cup and he makes it to the top 3?

Wow
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by wolexy14(m): 11:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
Hmmmmmm guys lets be frank even if messi have an outstanding season dem no fit give am again....same goes to ronaldo.....fifa don break the jinx already .......so fans of ororo and messi ....no award for dem again matk my word
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by VictorRomanov: 11:01pm On Sep 03, 2018
khingTony:
Who awards epp?
Messi is the best jhoorrr

So award no epp anybody again cos Messi name no dey. But na award help am win best player 5 times.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by SpeedndAccuracy(m): 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2018
Better sense dey ur head...

It's all politics and media hype...

Both Messi and Ronaldo have benefited from it bfr, now let them taste the other side...

And yeah, I be Barca fan...and in my opinion, Messi is a better footballer compared to Ronaldo...

But for the uefa player of the year, Ronaldo should have won it.

Tokziby:

I can go on and on. I started having my doubt in fifa since 1999 when Figo could have won it.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by wolexy14(m): 11:04pm On Sep 03, 2018
chiboy1116:
oga...stfu...ur not a Barca fan....lwkmd.....if URL really are a Barca fan u wouldnt HV said anybody can win the league , oga Barca was shit last season , they were so shit that they needed Messi to play almost all the league games ....u need to watch Barca last season , forget the unbeaten stuff ....they were shit , thank God for Ter , umtiti , rakitic .....without Messi Barca wouldnt have been in the top 3 , its like u didn't watch Barca last season .....Barca got knocked out of the UCL cos u can't depend on one man alone in the UCL , and that's fact mate , de deceive your self say u b Barca fan , Messi deserves to b in the top 3 , the fact that Ronaldo wasn't consistent sef discards him already , but who cares , just win the UCL , or go to the final, a guy that dominated laliga last season ? U de say any body can win the league , is it not an individual award? Sha wetin concern me all this awards have been shit since 2012 . So I don't really care , Ronaldo , Messi, modric .
na correct talk u just talk so my broda if na individual award ...i think someone shud be dere....fifa no dey give both of them again ......na d koko be dat ..make dem go rest ..i wont be surprised if mbappe makes it to best 3 dis season ...
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Jarus(m): 11:06pm On Sep 03, 2018
Realname:

I am a CR7 fan but come on, Salah should not be there and Mess should be up there with CR7

Salah performed for just one season was a no show aat the world cup and he makes it to the top 3?

Wow

One season? So the 2018 world best should be based on 3 years performance?

By the way, a half fit Salah got more goals in less games than Messi at the WC.

4 Likes

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Kylce042(m): 11:07pm On Sep 03, 2018
Even messi self no say him no too play
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by OMOTOWO(m): 11:11pm On Sep 03, 2018
Jarus:
I'm a Messi fan, but sentiments aside, Messi has no place in Top 3. Anyone can win league.

Forget league, it is basic. It doesnt count much.

The 2 most important competitions in the year were world cup and the UCL.

Modric stole the show in WC.

CR7 and Salah stole the show in UCL.

It is an unpardonable embarrassment of Messi to get booted out of UCL at QF.

He had WC as second chance but he ended up even awful in WC.

Guys, let us put sentiments aside, Messi has no place in Top 3 in the world in 2018.

Same Salah booted out Roma that booted out Messi from UCL.

Salah, half fit, scored 2 goals in 2 matches in WC.

Messi scored 1 in 4 matches.

Over 200 coaches and captains throughout the world cannot be wrong in their voting.
u nailed it bro..one oloso for u foc tonight..choose wisely
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Realname: 11:12pm On Sep 03, 2018
Jarus:

One season? So the 2018 world best should be based on 3 years performance?

By the way, a half fit Salah got more goals in less games than Messi at the WC.

And so? We are taking of consistency
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Bahddo(m): 11:15pm On Sep 03, 2018
Well, I think the award is kinda for a successful campaign, not individual brilliance. In recent times, the definition of the best player has been streamlined to being the highest goal scorer in the team that wins the UCL. Messi benefitted from this definition in 2015.

For the people voting, the UCL seems to be an even bigger deal than the world cup, and would be considered first.

So, while Messi played better football than any of the three shortlisted, Barcelona and Argentina didn't win the UCL or world cup. It won't count for much.

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Realname: 11:17pm On Sep 03, 2018
11doubledee:
Is messi not a better footballer than Salah and modric (year in,year out)
I think it's high time nairaland starts to conduct it's own awards.At least it will be rational,free and fair.
Whoever we vote should be the world's footballer of the year. grin grin grin grin grin

Are you that bored?

Go and make some friends in the real world please

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by AYFikayomi: 11:18pm On Sep 03, 2018
Jarus:

Yes.

Modric beat him in an important WC game.
Salah booted out Roma that booted out Messi.

Modric played in the final of the 2 most important competitions in the year.

Salah played in the final of 1.

Messi did not get anywhere close to final in either.

A half-fit Salah scored 2 WC goals in 2 matches. Messi scored 1 in 4 matches.

Over 200 coaches and captains across the world are not blind.

2 pks right?.... so you think being in the final of the UCL is better than winning a league title?... You honestly think Salah had a better world cup than Messi?... SMH
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Realname: 11:24pm On Sep 03, 2018
Jarus:

I am a very very big fan of Messi, but I can't fool myself in the name of being a fan of anybody. It's a disservice to my education to deny what is glaring.

Yes you support buhari ? A lifelss corrupt nepotic incompetent religious fanatic?

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Daniyke88(m): 11:29pm On Sep 03, 2018
Messi is still the best. Who Modric help?
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by giwish(m): 11:30pm On Sep 03, 2018
policy12:

Argue with ur phone.

so where did u put the free kick ronaldo scored against gremio in club world cup coz m seeing zero free kicks scored?
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 11:39pm On Sep 03, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
This is a world best, not LA liga best player...

De Brunye also won league and Carling cup... Should he also be nominated?
Fifa ought to have replaced Salah with Pogba
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Wahala90: 11:43pm On Sep 03, 2018
I don't think it is a bad decision. The most important competitions in the year under review are the World Cup and UCL. Modric played in the final of both competitions. Ronaldo and Salah played in the final of UCL. Messi couldn't lead his team to any of the finals.

2 Likes

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Promzyunique(m): 11:48pm On Sep 03, 2018
And all these barca fans forgot,how messi was favoured in 2010 in wesley Schneidjers place...hahhaa karma is something else
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by AYFikayomi: 11:49pm On Sep 03, 2018
Promzyunique:
And all these barca fans forgot,how messi was favoured in 2010 in wesley Schneidjers place...hahhaa karma is something else

Ronaldo was also favoured in 2013... Karma?
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Promzyunique(m): 11:50pm On Sep 03, 2018
wolexy14:
na correct talk u just talk so my broda if na individual award ...i think someone shud be dere....fifa no dey give both of them again ......na d koko be dat ..make dem go rest ..i wont be surprised if mbappe makes it to best 3 dis season ...
But when messi won it in 2010...out of cheating...it wasnt poo then ryt??
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by staytravel: 11:55pm On Sep 03, 2018
AcuraZDX:

Fans have reacted angrily after world famous footballer, Lionel Messi was omitted from the FIFA Best Men's Player award.

Lionel Messi's many fans could not believe what they were hearing after FIFA announced that the football star had not been included in their shortlist for The Best Men's Player award.
This is the first time since 2006, that the Argentine was omitted from the final three.

Luka Modric, Mohamed Salah and Cristiano Ronaldo made up the trio on the shortlist.
The finalists were announced on social media:

"Excellent finish Mo Salah"

See more reactions below:

https://zenithnaija.com/fans-react-angrily-after-lionel-messi-got-snubbed-from-fifas-the-best-award/
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Jarus(m): 11:58pm On Sep 03, 2018
Realname:

And so? We are taking of consistency

Cosistency for the 1 year. Simple. Anything outside that year does not count.

This is not award for footballer of the decade but of the 1 year.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Jarus(m): 11:59pm On Sep 03, 2018
Realname:

Yes you support buhari ? A lifelss corrupt nepotic incompetent religious fanatic?

Against a hopelessly clueless GEJ under whose watch corruption festered, yes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by GAJIT: 11:59pm On Sep 03, 2018
CR7 is a G.O.A.T (Greatest Of All Time)
M10 is a L.I.Z.A.R.D (Lion In Zoo And Roaring Delightfully).
where's is that zoo? Spain!
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by gladisa7: 12:08am On Sep 04, 2018
winning world best is different from being world best. There can be only one LION as far as football is concerned. Who wan win fifa world best make e dey win..but God created only one LION.. A Footballer like no other...even C. Ronaldo his mother his siblings n everyone in his village medira know this.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Jarus(m): 12:12am On Sep 04, 2018
Messi did not make Top 3 in UEFA best. He didn't make it in FIFA best.

Different bodies, different voting system, different voters, same judgement on Messi.

Yet, some people here think they know football better.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

1.3+ Odds Daily Rollover / Chelsea Announce British-record Signing, Caicedo With Nigeria R&B Music / Perpetua Nkwocha Weds Nwufoh In Owerri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.