Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award (44586 Views)

Busquets Becomes Barcelona New Captain After Lionel Messi's Departure / Jurgen Klopp Wins Men's Coach Of The Year At FIFA's Best Award / "Barcelona Preparing For Life After Lionel Messi" - President Bartomeu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Nobody: 12:49am On Sep 04, 2018
This season you guys would understand why commentators call him "magician" I call him "demon" cos he shatters the life of opponents. Any thing that cross his path this season will suffer pain I tell you even Bayern or Man city... they go feel am
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Realname: 1:40am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

Against a hopelessly clueless GEJ under whose watch corruption festered, yes.

Understood but do you deny that this government has incredulously made the ineffectual buffoon's government look better ?

With their dead economic policies , poor strategy, nepotism and division along ethnic limes ?
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Emycord: 1:49am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:
I'm a Messi fan, but sentiments aside, Messi has no place in Top 3. Anyone can win league.

Forget league, it is basic. It doesnt count much.

The 2 most important competitions in the year were world cup and the UCL.

Modric stole the show in WC.

CR7 and Salah stole the show in UCL.

It is an unpardonable embarrassment of Messi to get booted out of UCL at QF.

He had WC as second chance but he ended up even awful in WC.

Guys, let us put sentiments aside, Messi has no place in Top 3 in the world in 2018.

Same Salah booted out Roma that booted out Messi from UCL.

Salah, half fit, scored 2 goals in 2 matches in WC.

Messi scored 1 in 4 matches.

Over 200 coaches and captains throughout the world cannot be wrong in their voting.
great analysis don't mind nigeria with thier sentiments, thats how they now have a lifeless one in office
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by cadesky(m): 1:59am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:
I'm a Messi fan, but sentiments aside, Messi has no place in Top 3. Anyone can win league.

Guys, let us put sentiments aside, Messi has no place in Top 3 in the world in 2018.

Over 200 coaches and captains throughout the world cannot be wrong in their voting.
Craze talk
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by emae009(m): 3:10am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

you do know the award is for the best player of the season right?
like uefa best player prioritize ucl
world golden ball is for the best player in the world Cup.
best on performance over the last season. no player was close to messi.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by emae009(m): 3:22am On Sep 04, 2018
smh.... if an award that's supposed to be based on individual performance is now based on two competition that's played in a qualifying other which by the way have their own award then I'm done.... so if we're going to ignore league performance why bother playing the league. everybody can just take a vacation and wait for the ucl to start or the world Cup then

2 Likes

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by karllemah44(m): 3:30am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

then griezmann that won world cup and Europa...d dude has been pivotal, salah shouldn't be on the list

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Jarus(m): 3:57am On Sep 04, 2018
karllemah44:
then griezmann that won world cup and Europa...d dude has been pivotal, salah shouldn't be on the list

Yes, Griezman had a very fantastic season too and I'm sure he would be in top 5 (don't be surprised if this Messi we are arguing about actually finised 5th like he did in UEFA - FIFA will publish Top 10 after final result).

However, Modric beat him in WC as MVP.

He didn't even play UCL knockout rounds not to talk of beating Salah and CR7 in UCL. I hate to say it, but Europa is for losers. No one wins award by being outstanding there.

In other words, he could not have displaced either of the 3 guys. He may displace Messi to 4th position.

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Jarus(m): 4:05am On Sep 04, 2018
Realname:

Understood but do you deny that this government has incredulously made the ineffectual buffoon's government look better ?

With their dead economic policies , poor strategy, nepotism and division along ethnic limes ?

I have been disappointed with this government. But if faced with Buhari and GEJ again, I will keep my vote/support. GEJ was and is no better.

With what I knew in 2015, GEJ needed to go. No regrets supporting Buhari.

With what I have seen now, I wont support Buhari in 2019 but it doesn't make GEJ any better.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by JUHABACH: 4:45am On Sep 04, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
This is a world best, not LA liga best player...

De Brunye also won league and Carling cup... Should he also be nominated?

this is a stupid take. Messi's individual stats are much better than any of the nominee. Sarah literally just had what Messi would call an average season and suddenly he's ahead of Messi? SMH.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by bacilus(m): 5:03am On Sep 04, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

can you tell me statistically how sallah is better than Messi?
remember you said world best
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by anonymous1759(m): 5:20am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

2013 when Ronaldo won only Spanish super cup, lost the league and champion league but was Europe highest top scorer... He was given the award ahead of Frank ribery who wan the Champions League... Messi should have made the list be was the top scorer in the entire Europe with two trophies....

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by anonymous1759(m): 5:24am On Sep 04, 2018
nepapole:
When sneijder was clearly robbed in favour of Messi in 2010, nobody complained.

Same thing happened to Ribery in 2013, he won the Champions League, Bundesliga and was still left out Ronaldo on the other hand just won Spanish super cup. He was ahead of Ribery because of the 55 goals he scored. Based on individual or team performance Messi deserved to be there.

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by anonymous1759(m): 5:32am On Sep 04, 2018
cadesky:

Craze talk

In the 2013 champions League and the domestic league was the two most prestigious trophies and yet Ribery won both of them, Was he given the award?? No but Ronaldo that won only Spanish super cup won the award because he was European top soccer on individual performance merit. Messi performed well individually won two trophies Salah is not supposed to be there. He won nothing. Individual performance Messi is ahead of him trophies he's still ahead of him... So what's your point Even coutinho who left Liverpool had a better season. There's nothing compared to the first position. Fifa got it wrong undecided

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by okenwaa(m): 5:40am On Sep 04, 2018
I see Modric winning this one.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by emmanuelex1(m): 5:46am On Sep 04, 2018
Great statistics, but did he play champions league final or world cup final with this stat? No be to dey score hattick against girona, deportivo elbar etc
policy12:

Argue with ur phone.

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Jokerman(m): 5:49am On Sep 04, 2018
ahmEenu:
WHAT DID RONALDO DO FOR HIS COUNTRY? WHY DID SALAH AND MODRIC DO FOR THIER RESPECTIVE COUNTRIES? GRIEZEMAN, POGBA AND MBAPE WON THE WORLD CUP, WHY ARE THEY NOT IN THE LIST? IF U REALLY UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL GIVE ME GOOD ANSWERS

Ronaldo's performance against Spain is bigger than all Messi world cup career....

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Zsquare: 6:29am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

Some don't even know how this selection was made. Messi won La liga and Copa Del Rey. Does that mean we include DeBruyne because he won premiere league and EFL cup or include Di Maria because he won all in France too.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by RexTramadol1: 6:37am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

Messi fan indeed, you should be his Air Condition.

1 Like

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Walelavender(m): 6:45am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

Fantastic comment. Great analysis.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Nobody: 6:51am On Sep 04, 2018
[quote author=BiafranBushBoy post=70872596]This is a world best, not LA liga best player...

De Brunye also won league and Carling cup... Should he also be nominated?[/quote Ronaldo performed somehow well at world cup than Messi ....yes we can consider it, but what of Sarah?
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Software98: 7:01am On Sep 04, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by wolexy14(m): 7:17am On Sep 04, 2018
Promzyunique:
But when messi won it in 2010...out of cheating...it wasnt poo then ryt??
when was the last time fifa ever gave someone who deserved i
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by ThierryJay: 7:18am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

Yes, Griezman had a very fantastic season too and I'm sure he would be in top 5 (don't be surprised if this Messi we are arguing about actually finised 5th like he did in UEFA - FIFA will publish Top 10 after final result).

However, Modric beat him in WC as MVP.

He didn't even play UCL knockout rounds not to talk of beating Salah and CR7 in UCL. I hate to say it, but Europa is for losers. No one wins award by being outstanding there.

In other words, he could not have displaced either of the 3 guys. He may displace Messi to 4th position.

I would marginally agree with Messi losing out to Salah. Individually, Messi's performance was greater than any of Modric, CR7 and Salah as he put in more consistent high quality displays throughout the season.

However, it's unfortunate that only two matches cost Messi a chance to win the best player award once again:

vs Roma - UCL second leg QF
vs Iceland - penalty missed WC

If Messi had aced those two, he would have pipped Salah and possibly CR7, who was the least consistent performer of the three nominees. Modric would still have been a favorite though.

By the way, I do not agree that Salah had a better WC, despite being half-fit, than Messi. It's not just the number of goals. Messi's solitary goal and two assists carry a greater weight than Salah's penalty and lob. Overall, Messi's efforts at the WC were superior to Salah's.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Anduku: 7:27am On Sep 04, 2018
They can give him their own award if they want, the three people nominated for the award deserve it
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Martinez19(m): 7:29am On Sep 04, 2018
nepapole:
When sneijder was clearly robbed in favour of Messi in 2010, nobody complained.
Sneijder and Diego Milito. Lol.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by dennisworld1(m): 7:35am On Sep 04, 2018
We're is griezman
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by chigoziri2403(m): 7:37am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

from your analysis, French players should be nominated.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 04, 2018
skarlett:
cheesy cheesy

Are you sure that's not you and Ronaldo fans?

Because only those obsessed with physic can think Ronaldo comes close to Messi.

if you really know football you can't embarrass yourself this way.

Now let me ask you what wing does Ronaldo play for Madrid?

from 1-11 pick your answer.

You can google it if you want cos I'm sure you don't even know.

You just join the crowd and open your mouth and air the word "Ronaldo better than Messi "

Sorry for your likes.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 04, 2018
Jarus:

it is not by number my friend (200 coaches), it should be by logic. the award is no longer relevant with the way it is.
saying modric was outstanding at the World Cup and deserved the best player award is even wrong. come to think of it, the highest number of MOTM award won at the World Cup was 3.and this number were won by 4 different players. Griezmann, Kane, hazard and modric. and they all had higher numbers of goals and assist (except for Kane) than modric, griezmann even won the World Cup! and then they give the award for best player to who?.... on what criteria I ask?.... simply on sentiment, cause he was a runner up.
now back to the UCL, if performance over the course of the tournament is anything to go by, it will reflect in the number of man of the match won by that individual....going by this do u know how many MOTM award won by modric?.... none. all his other stats are no where near the trio of MESSI, RONALDO OR SALAH!
so I ask why is he among the top three finalist?.... simply sentiment, cause for a decade the show has been run by two outstanding footballers. I bet if he wins it's cause Ronaldo isn't in Madrid anymore, and most loyal Madrid fans will support their own modric over ronaldo. the same will apply to Barcelona fans, as they will prefer a neutral like modric to win it over Ronaldo, even though he clearly doesn't deserve it, to keep it as a tie between Messi and Ronaldo at 5 awards a piece.
it's time this award follows simple logic than some sentimental votes...or else it will become another useless award given based on sentiment.
Re: Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award by dwightdoctore(m): 8:09am On Sep 04, 2018
I buy all Valuable Gift Cards at juicy rates and also trade in Crypto Currency.
Direct loader, no third party involved.
Hit me up on whatsapp @07062803496.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

1.3+ Odds Daily Rollover / Chelsea Announce British-record Signing, Caicedo With Nigeria R&B Music / Perpetua Nkwocha Weds Nwufoh In Owerri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.