Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,983 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State (24349 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Of Abeokuta, Ogun State That Will Make You Love The City / Streetlight Pole At Pansheke In Abeokuta Ogun: A Disaster Waiting To Happen / 5 Interesting Things About South Africa Most People Don’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by damiloladuke: 6:21pm On Sep 03, 2018
Some people consider Abeokuta town, with her rocky landscape and historical features, a portal between the physical and the spiritual.

There are a lot of places and experiences that are worth exploring, that make for great memories and photo-ops, as well as offering a chance to learn more about this historic town.

1. Visit the National Museum Abeokuta

To walk the path of the ancient peoples that lived in Abeokuta, a visit to the National Museum is a must. Boasting relics from the rich past of the town, the museum also offers tours that are both enlightening and fun.
[img]https://2.bp..com/-QXhCloLwX9s/W41q9o3ukDI/AAAAAAAATNk/jVEhBTyD458W1N1uNKFmgj8vB2Kt05QBQCEwYBhgL/s1600/5%2BInteresting%2BThings%2Bto%2BSee%2Band%2BDo%2Bin%2BAbeokuta%252C%2BOgun%2BState%2Beludemagazine%2B3.jpg[/img]

2. Climb Olumo Rock

The most famous landmark in Abeokuta is the Olumo Rock – a hill that served as a hiding place for the Egba people during the slave-taking expeditions of the Yoruba Civil War – and the town itself is named after it, as Abeokuta means ‘under the rock’.

There are man-made stairwells that make climbing the rock relatively easy, and along the way are shrines, usually tended to by women, dedicated to different gods. Getting to the summit of the hill is worth the climb, for it gives you the aerial view of the whole town, lying in the valley, and of the Ogun River, snaking its way through the forests that surrounds the town.
[img]https://4.bp..com/-Y-KWzKvXcBs/W41q-0_CZBI/AAAAAAAATNs/IDnr1LDm6_MxlEgR9D89q4cvNTU-MwoJgCEwYBhgL/s640/5%2BInteresting%2BThings%2Bto%2BSee%2Band%2BDo%2Bin%2BAbeokuta%252C%2BOgun%2BState%2Beludemagazine%2B5.jpg[/img]

3. Visit Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library

The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library is a library owned by Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, a former President of Nigeria. It is a historic, tourist and academic centre established as a national archive for the preservation of documents and materials used by the president during his tenure as the president of Nigeria. The library is located at Abeokuta, Ogun State in Nigeria.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-QXhCloLwX9s/W41q9o3ukDI/AAAAAAAATN4/SOgg5F0LpEcR_Yziv24KEGOGVsaL9eF8ACEwYBhgL/s640/5%2BInteresting%2BThings%2Bto%2BSee%2Band%2BDo%2Bin%2BAbeokuta%252C%2BOgun%2BState%2Beludemagazine%2B3.jpg[/img]

4. Visit the Centenary Hall

Located opposite the Ake’s Palace, the Centenary Hall in Ake’s area of Abeokuta was constructed in 1950 to commemorate the one hundred years that Abeokuta had been in peace after the last inter-tribal war.

The building of the Abeokuta Memorial Centenary Hall emanated from His Majesty Oba Ladapo Ademola II, KBE, The Alake of Egbaland to commemorate the Centenary (100 years) of Egba settlement in Abeokuta.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-rpogcD4y5iQ/W41q_JB2I1I/AAAAAAAATOE/sjOjMgD9iwQE3Yw_EoEd8PivkgptN8bHwCEwYBhgL/s400/5%2BInteresting%2BThings%2Bto%2BSee%2Band%2BDo%2Bin%2BAbeokuta%252C%2BOgun%2BState%2Beludemagazine.jpg[/img]

5. Stop at the Oyan River Dam

The Oyan River Dam is in Abeokuta North local government area of Ogun State in the West of Nigeria, about 20 km north west of the state capital Abeokuta.

The dam crosses the Oyan River, a tributary of the Ogun River. It is used primarily to supply raw water to Lagos and Abeokuta but has the potential for use in irrigation and power generation.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-LsbRFX_TEPA/W41q-KFgrCI/AAAAAAAATN8/QzazyCS_3gErIf90HWuFSzLnx71l5WrvwCEwYBhgL/s400/5%2BInteresting%2BThings%2Bto%2BSee%2Band%2BDo%2Bin%2BAbeokuta%252C%2BOgun%2BState%2Beludemagazine%2B4.jpg[/img]

http://www.eludemagazine.com/2018/09/5-interesting-things-to-see-and-do-in.html

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by ucee64(m): 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2018
what will it profit you to do all these things and lose your head

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by TheAngry1: 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2018
ok
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Mynd44: 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2018
Visit Alake's Palace
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Bolustical: 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ise ya a a
Ise ya a a
Omo Ogun ise ya a
Olodumare ise ma ya o e e
Ise ya

Enyin omo Ogun e se giri
Ise po fun wa lati se e e
Omo rere ki isa se e
Omo Ogun ki i s’o le e
Ebere gb’eru o o
Olorun mbe fun wa
E tera mose o o
Ise ya

Omo Ogun ise ya a

I rep Ogun

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Bolustical: 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2018
yes
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Odunharry(m): 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2018
Alake in Egba nko.

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Imustreturn(m): 6:53pm On Sep 03, 2018
grin
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by davelon(m): 6:53pm On Sep 03, 2018
Wow how nice..
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by ucee64(m): 6:54pm On Sep 03, 2018

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by RicardoRich(m): 6:54pm On Sep 03, 2018
undecided
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by dingbang(m): 6:54pm On Sep 03, 2018
grin I think I will visit Abeokuta before the year runs out. Who is in with me on this trip? Let's make it happen..

Meanwhile esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform amazing transactions on the first mobile app such as getting soft loans through the app. Click the link on my signature for steps to register and bank your way.

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by lanrexdo(m): 6:54pm On Sep 03, 2018
I lived in abk for about 6 years and i never visited any of those places..lol
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by MooreJozo(m): 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2018
really
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Baawaa(m): 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ogun State is fast growing,in the next 5 years Ogun State will be among developed state.Thanks to our amiable and visionary governor,Ibikunle Amosun.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by EmekaBlue(m): 6:56pm On Sep 03, 2018
Mynd44:
Visit Alake's Palace
u deleted my comment. Clap for yourself
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by helinues: 6:57pm On Sep 03, 2018
Baawa
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by HEFAIROHLUWA(m): 6:57pm On Sep 03, 2018
One thing I enjoy the most being at abk is the calmness and pure air....So refreshing! grin
I get lots of inspiration here wink and I think I've found that #peace I lost a decade ago. cool Maybe all you needed is just a change of environment you never can tell..Here are some pics I took last week..#westside kiss anyday! anytime! in 2pacs voice..lol
#Fromanekitiguy grin

13 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Bodude504: 6:57pm On Sep 03, 2018
That's my lovely state omo ogun ise ya

7 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Getrich0147: 6:57pm On Sep 03, 2018
Visit Myass lafenwa for your high grade kush and sophisticated SGBG small girlsbig God ... Abeokuta is a nice place to be mhen.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by yomi96(m): 6:58pm On Sep 03, 2018
Mynd44:
Visit Alake's Palace
what is there to see abeg. if u know about well u will know that it is a glorified village.
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by yomi96(m): 6:58pm On Sep 03, 2018
Mynd44:
Visit Alake's Palace
what is there to see abeg. if u know abk well u will know that it is a glorified village.
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by xynerise: 6:58pm On Sep 03, 2018
Hmmm.....I have to rethink sha grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by PrincessB1(f): 6:59pm On Sep 03, 2018
It's alright grin grin
Seen
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Codedboy95(m): 6:59pm On Sep 03, 2018
i have been in abeokuta for 5years now and common olumo rock i haven't visited sad

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by kayusely70(m): 7:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
Centenary Hall was built in 1930
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by thaoriginator: 7:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
ucee64:
How you want take lose your head just like that?
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by Ejiod(m): 7:02pm On Sep 03, 2018
Would love to see the dam
Re: 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State by SageTravels: 7:03pm On Sep 03, 2018
Every state in Nigeria, has one or two to offer to tourists.

Nigeria is richly blessed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

RRS Rescues Two underage Boys At Marina In Lagos (Photos) / Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. / Rivers State Completes Ikoku Flyover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.