Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,752 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo (3120 Views)

Lord Lugard Footbridge Kaduna: 116 Years After (Photos, Video) / Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins / What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by udemzeus(m): 10:43am On Oct 04, 2023
LUGARD'S DUAL MANDATE ON NIGERIAN TRIBES

1922...( Copied from Mathew Mbanaja"s wall)

*The handover notes Lord Lugard wrote to his colleague, Walter H. Lang, on the 25th of September 1918. The quote reads inter alia:*

HAUSA

The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself.

YORUBA

Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has formented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…, I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money motives of any people I have met.

IGBO

These people of predominantly Eastern Nigeria are fiercely rebellious with no regard for authority. Though industrious and religious, in deference to the objectives of her majesty and the crown, they are highly dangerous to be trusted with.

Hit it miss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by slivertongue: 10:48am On Oct 04, 2023
great peoples of NIGERIA
Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 10:49am On Oct 04, 2023
Slaves as usual.......

We always knew from 19bc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by iamtardey: 10:50am On Oct 04, 2023
Damnn I’ll not let a White man with bad motives for me and my people Judge me no more… not me, not any of my coming generations to come they have said many things about me in the past and it’s enough… tongue

9 Likes

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Zxcvbnmghtr: 10:59am On Oct 04, 2023
You didn't include where he said he met one of the tribes above roaming the bushes naked with only leaves to cover their genitals. grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Couldntfigurean: 11:07am On Oct 04, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
You didn't include where he said he met one of the tribes above roaming the bushes naked with only leaves to cover their genitals. grin
don’t mind ibo people
We Yorubas have been wearing Gucci and fendi before the white man arrived
See one of our ancestors below in their Gucci wears while handling their AK-47s

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Bliss52: 11:08am On Oct 04, 2023
Must everything about you be about hating and telling lies

But e no go better for you as you lie against Yoruba wey do you nothing

Are you people animals

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Zxcvbnmghtr: 11:12am On Oct 04, 2023
Couldntfigurean:
don’t mind ibo people
See one of our ancestors below in his Gucci wears while handling his AK-47 and hand grenade

Warrior tribe!!! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Couldntfigurean: 11:13am On Oct 04, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Warrior tribe!!! grin
rice bandit tribe

12 Likes

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Zxcvbnmghtr: 11:17am On Oct 04, 2023
Couldntfigurean:
rice bandit tribe

You didn't include agbado. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by MXrep: 11:20am On Oct 04, 2023
Igbos are industrious

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by creativehubb: 11:23am On Oct 04, 2023
Slave mentality, how can you take what a man that came to subjugate, loot and plunder you serious?

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

3 Likes

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by preekahantas(f): 12:16pm On Oct 04, 2023
udemzeus:

YORUBA

Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has formented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…, I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money motives of any people I have met.

So this thing is true?
Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Abufo: 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2023
udemzeus:

*The handover notes Lord Lugard wrote to his colleague, Walter H. Lang, on the 25th of September 1918. The quote reads inter alia:*

HAUSA

The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself.

YORUBA

IGBO

These people of predominantly Eastern Nigeria are fiercely rebellious with no regard for authority. Though industrious and religious, in deference to the objectives of her majesty and the crown, they are highly dangerous to be trusted with.

Hit it miss

He summed it up perfectly....

Hausa/fulani.............Lascivious spendthrifts

Yoruba.......................Treacherous Hypocrites

Igbo............................ Stubborn Rebels

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Bestbrain123(m): 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2023
What else do you expect from your slaves..? Do you pamper them? Old fool..who doest know that slaves hate masters

2 Likes

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
Abufo:

And everyone of us is living up to the stereotypes.

The north who has ruled the country the most have bankrupted from looting. Abacha's loot are still being recovered.

Yorubas have been the least trustworthy tribe in the country. Neither hot nor cold. Neither here nor there. 50% Muslims, 50% Christians, 50% traditionalist. Neither in support of disintegration or against it.

Igbos have been at the Biafran war since 1967 that it has now defined our politics. We did the first coup due to the power we held in the first republic.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Corn247: 1:17pm On Oct 04, 2023
Who cares about what he thinks

1 Like

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by huptin(m): 1:31pm On Oct 04, 2023
Abufo:

You interchanged his opinion of Yoruba and that of Igbo, read again!
Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Rostikol: 1:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
Lugard was a drunk, barely educated man working for colonial invaders.

What he thought means absolutely nothing to us.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Wisereborn: 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2023
This case before me is just like giving a dog a bad name before killing it

Call us name before looting our country undecided

What did Lord Lugard wrote about his own country

Cause no country is perfect undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by WeirdAlien: 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
iamtardey:
Damnn I’ll not let a White man with bad motives for me and my people Judge me no more… not me, not any of my coming generations to come they have said many things about me in the past and it’s enough… tongue

Okay.
After he spent 2 or 3 decades carefully studying your forefathers and how they behave. Only when you accept your shortcomings you can improve yourself.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Princessstee: 2:16pm On Oct 04, 2023
Your enemy will call you treasonous and seditious when they can't control you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nice2023(m): 2:36pm On Oct 04, 2023
udemzeus:

HAUSA

YORUBA

IGBO

Hit it miss

I have searched this and I never saw any where where Lord lugard mentioned all of this in his book. However,I have stopped believing what people say about others since I realised the kind of country I found myself.

It takes a fool to accept every rubbish names his enemy or adversary calls him.

Don't ever live ur life based on mischievous and dubious saying of a criminal minded Lugard who only came to Africa to exploit our ancestors.

If at all what he said about hausa,igbo or yorubas are true, what then do u call a colonialist? God sent right?

Those people were more greedy than the entire Nigerians

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by iamtardey: 2:39pm On Oct 04, 2023
WeirdAlien:

Okay.
After he spent 2 or 3 decades carefully studying your forefathers and how they behave. Only when you accept your shortcomings you can improve yourself.
he was studying your fore fathers
Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Westerhoffe(m): 2:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
grin
Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by alanto: 3:07pm On Oct 04, 2023
Couldntfigurean:
don’t mind ibo people
See one of our ancestors below in their Gucci wears while handling their AK-47s
This is definitely a handwork of a yamiirii... Yoruba has never at any point in time dress like this. Probably from South Africa. People that dressed like this still dress this way till date... By the way, can you share a vintage of your people. All the old pictures I've seen of ibo people are mostly unclad. It's like the white had to bring that una isiegu and head warmer before you guys know anything clothing. Nothing original from that side.

Yoruba used animal skin for juju, we don't wear them like normal attires

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by alanto: 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2023
Razgas:
And everyone of us is living up to the stereotypes.

The north who has ruled the country the most have bankrupted from looting. Abacha's loot are still being recovered.

Yorubas have been the least trustworthy tribe in the country. Neither hot nor cold. Neither here nor there. 50% Muslims, 50% Christians, 50% traditionalist. Neither in support of disintegration or against it.

Igbos have been at the Biafran war since 1967 that it has now defined our politics. We did the first coup due to the power we held in the first republic.

You are the most trusted people in Nigeria yet you never won a national election.

Just dey play ▶️

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 04, 2023
Why should any black man care about the opinions of a vile racist?
Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by tishbite42: 3:45pm On Oct 04, 2023
This is the only good thing Lugard did for Nigeria
Apt and concise summary of the main tribes
Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Couldntfigurean: 3:53pm On Oct 04, 2023
alanto:

This is definitely a handwork of a yamiirii... Yoruba has never at any point in time dress like this. Probably from South Africa. People that dressed like this still dress this way till date... By the way, can you share a vintage of your people. All the old pictures I've seen of ibo people are mostly unclad. It's like the white had to bring that una isiegu and head warmer before you guys know anything clothing. Nothing original from that side.

Yoruba used animal skin for juju, we don't wear them like normal attires
deny your forefathers
It’s in the blood of the average Yoruba man,if tinubu can deny his biological father and cling to madam tilumbu then who are you?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by alanto: 3:55pm On Oct 04, 2023
Couldntfigurean:
deny your forefathers
It’s in the blood of the average Yoruba man,if tinubu can deny his biological father and cling to madam tilumbu then who are you?
Well you don't even know what your forefathers looked like 100 years ago. You are probably an ohu from the east... I learned y'all are slaves mobbed up together to form a tribe that's why y'all don't even understand each other's language and that's why y'all can't love yourselves.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Couldntfigurean: 4:17pm On Oct 04, 2023
alanto:

Well you don't even know what your forefathers looked like 100 years ago. You are probably an ohu from the east... I learned y'all are slaves mobbed up together to form a tribe that's why y'all don't even understand each other's language and that's why y'all can't love yourselves.
But at least I know what yours look like
You all should be thanking God for the British,if not them,Women soiled with their monthly period blood would have easily wiped y’all cone heads out from the world,and it would be good news to the rest of the world

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Strange Laws Many Nigerians Don't Know About - No. 1 Will Shock You / Dr. Bukola Saraki - Declaration Speech / How Is The Swearing In Faring In Your State!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.