Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili (1022 Views)

Nigeria-China N720 Billion Currency Swap Collapses / China Loan: Amaechi Says "No Need To Panic, Nigeria Is Already Paying Back" / Nigeria, China, India Among 10 Most Improved Economies – World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by truthfulparrot(m): 12:42pm On Sep 05, 2018
Oby Ezekwesili, the former minister of education has condemned the recent loan agreement between China and Nigeria.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday signed a loan agreement with China at the Forum on China-Africa (FOCAC) 2018 holding in Beijing where the Chinese government pledged to give $60 billion loan facilities to African countries, a quarter of which would be interest-free.
However, Ezekwesili in reaction condemned the loan agreement describing it as a bad deal. According to her, Nigerian leaders are being naive in making deals with China. In a post on her Twitter page, she wrote: “The Chinese know exactly what they are doing. If you read their Loan Agreements with African countries, you will see how tight they cover their exposure. Meanwhile, our own leaders go there to naively, gleefully and with a huge dose of inferiority complex, sign on to bad deals.
“Chinese attitude to Indebtedness is the hardest in the world. I know, because one had to deal with it in the course of my work at the World Bank, helping African countries to get the HIPC Debt Cancellation.
“It annoys me to no end to see our countries BINGING on Chinese Loans.”

http://dailypost.ng/2018/09/05/nigeria-china-agreement-bad-deal-oby-ezekwesili/
Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by OAM4J: 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2018
I dont think IMF / World Bank loans are better either. And Chinese offer much lower interest than IMF/World Bank.

Loans generally should be taken when you are are sure you have the means of paying it back.

I see no reason blaming Chinese for tightening the cover of their exposure. All lenders do that now.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by truthfulparrot(m): 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2018
China is universally known to be Shylock when it comes to loan agreements. Unfortunately most African Leaders in their desperation for loan failed to read between the lines of the loan agreements with China. Sri Lanka is presently regretting taking loan from China as they got trapped in debt and unfavorable loan repayment condition.

Will Nigeria Economic team be diligent enough to avoid the booby traps in China Loan agreements?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by freeze001(f): 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2018
Nne biko shut it. They will not listen to you anyways because you have outlived your usefulness to them. Besides when are you going on a 'Bring Back Your Girls' parade? Are you tired? You don see intimidation wey pass you so e end for twitter abi? You try!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by Tolexander: 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2018
OAM4J:
I dont think IMF / World Bank loans are better either. And Chinese offer much lower interest than IMF/World Bank.

Loans generally should be taken when you are are sure you have the means of paying it back.

I see no reason blaming Chinese for tightening the cover of their exposure. All lenders do that now.
What else do you expect to hear from Oby Ezekwisili

Oby tends to the West and will always be occidental in orientation.
Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by GavelSlam: 1:10pm On Sep 05, 2018
Tolexander:
What else do you expect to hear from Okonjo Iweala?

NOI tends to the West and will always be occidental in orientation.

But this is from Oby Ezekwesili.

In any case, one should not default on loans.

Oby should propose ways to improve GDP per capita and spare us the criticisms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by docadams: 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2018
OAM4J:

Abeg, be posting more often. I won't be off mark if I say Ezekwesili is probably undergoing post menopausal syndrome. A period when hormone deficiencies results in emotional imbalance and poor judgement.
The President has outlined what such loans are meant for. The least the society expects from her is to help in
monitoring the utilization of such loans and not to be indulging in meaningless prefabricated opinions.
Maybe she is afraid her legacies, wherever they might be, are being threatened.
It was on this Nairaland years back I read accounts of how loans were procured during OBJ regime that Ezekwesili served. Nigerian officials saw such loans as favours rather than liabilities, thereby paying scant attention to contract details with the consequence that 50% of such loans were expended on the same World bank/IMF officials in the guise of bank/professional fees, logistic, and welfare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by Daviddson(m): 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2018
Mrs Oby always seem to be against loan collection. Can a government do without taking loans? It's impossible; some countries' debts are only smaller than the others - none is not in debt.

I'm not economics savvy, but I know what's important to be wary of when increasing your debts is to avoid taking loans whose repayments period is low, loans with exorbitant interest rates, and of course, make sure that you've done your homework that your current credit ratings is strong enough to wade off defaulting. The US is the most indebted nation today, but also has the most powerful economy and military strength - the two go hand-in-hand. Even China we're getting loans from, also has national debts and so has Russia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by Horus(m): 8:43am On Sep 06, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YT0RVR-yYs

5 African Countries That Have Fallen into China's Debt Trap
Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by saaron(m): 8:46am On Sep 06, 2018
I said it here that when this China deal lands Nigeria in huge debt in few years time, buhari will say he's not aware. No free lunch.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by yemmight(m): 8:48am On Sep 06, 2018
Oby herself is a bad deal.
Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by eejo(m): 8:49am On Sep 06, 2018
The loans are tie to china companies, manpower and goods even now some china economist are worried how Nigeria will pay these debts back.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by eejo(m): 8:52am On Sep 06, 2018
saaron:
I said it here that when this China deal lands Nigeria in huge debt in few years time, buhari will say he's not aware. No free lunch.
by the time austerity measures start Nigerians will see hell on earth. Nigerian loans are huge now

1 Like

Re: Nigeria China Loan Agreement Bad Deal - Oby Ezekwesili by saaron(m): 9:12am On Sep 06, 2018
eejo:
by the time austerity measures start Nigerians will see hell on earth. Nigerian loans are huge now
Exactly. China are not fools to give out $60 billion to Africa without hoping to get anything in return. All they did is to leverage on Nigeria's poverty mentality to stiffle technological growth in Nigeria and Africa for Chinese technology goods. With the ongoing trade wars with America and Europe, China is looking to create new market for her goods. But as usual some Nigerians are not seeing this clever plot from China. All they see is Chinese money. China may have given Africa $60 billion, will they will recover ×50 of that amount within the next 20 to 30 years.
The negative effect of this will be more visible after 20 years.

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Is Leading So Far........ / Atiku Pays Tribute To Obasanjo, Thanks PDP For Choosing Him As Presidential Cand / Kwara State APC Gubernatorial Candidate visits President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.