Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,937 members, 7,952,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:04 AM

Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God (3175 Views)

Is Jesus The Creator God? / Disbelief In God. / Scientific Evidence That Demands A Creator God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by mazaje(m): 2:12am On Jul 02, 2010
How can Yahweh be the creator of the universe when he himself is the creation of men?. . .Yahweh is, throughout the narration of the stories in the OT, an anthropomorphic idol, made in the image and likeness of the artist who cast it. . . . . Yahweh started out as a primitive and warrior tribal deity who is the God of the Jews, he lived with inside a box or ark of covenant them assembled them together and addressed the some times through public speech, fights along side them with his mighty sword of slaughter, orders them to invade other cities and plunder them for worshiping other Gods, tells them to kill each other if the fail to worship him etc. . . .I want to go off topic a bit, I read a very eye opening article about the exodus some years ago and in the paper I got to know that history and archeology do not even support most of the major stories and events in the bible AT ALL. . . .

With the exception of those conservative scholars who insist on Mosaic authorship of the Torah, scholars agree that the Exodus account is a composite literary construct, composed and edited from smaller units transmitted over centuries to achieve theological and historical coherence. Recent research has identified more and more of the Exodus material as coming from the Israelite monarchy and the Exile, times long after the 2nd millennium epoch in which the narrative is set, and the original base of the story becomes corrspondingly more and more difficult to identify. While the overall intent of the narrative is historical, it is not history in the modern sense, but as a theology set against a historical background, illustrating how the God of Israel acted to save and strengthen his chosen people, the Children of Israel, and that it is therefore inappropriate to approach miraculous events such as the burning bush and the plagues of Egypt as if they were modern history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus

Recently, the archeologists Israel Finkelstein (Tel Aviv University) and Neil Asher Silberman (director of historical interpretation, Ename Center for Public Archeology and Heritage Presentation, Belgium) summarized the archeological findings and latest corrections regarding the historical origins of the Jewish nation. In their words, "The process that we describe here is, in fact, the opposite of what we have in the Bible: the emergence of early Israel was an outcome of the collapse of the Canaanite culture, not its cause. And most of the Israelites did not come from outside Canaan - they emerged from within it. There was no mass exodus from Egypt. There was no violent conquest of Canaan".

Finkelstein and Silberman point out that there is still no evidence for the existence of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Lot, Moses, and Joshua. There is no evidence that Jewish people existed as an identified people that were enslaved in Egypt. There is no evidence that over 600,000 men (plus women and children - the number could have been over a million) had an exodus from Egypt and wandered in the desert for 40 years. According to the Bible, 38 of these 40 years were actually spent encamped at Kadesh-barnea. This area has been turned upside down for decades, looking for even a tiny piece of pottery from this supposed time. It is not likely that this many people would have lived here this long and not left archeological evidence.

The archeological evidence contradicts the Biblical theme of Joshua taking control of the Israelites from Moses and conquering Canaan. For example, the Egyptians had a strong presence in Canaan at this time, yet the Biblical accounts make no mention of this. The Biblical themes of the origins of Israel are myths. Like the gospel accounts of the New Testament, they were fabricated in later times and inserted into earlier times as a tool of religious and political propagandists,

http://www.concentric.net/~Worgar/exodus.htm

Most of the stories in the bible like Yahweh the God it talks about were mostly created to give the Jews a theological and cultural identity and nothing more, This is nothing different from the Mayans or the Yoruba's and their own folklore about Oduduwa and the other Gods like Sango and Ogun. . . .Its funny that people now choose to identify themselves with the God  the Jews invented to give them so sense of identity and community while condemning the Gods their own ancestors created to give their own sense of identity. . . . .Non of the Gods of man made religions exists that is why no God can be shown to exists on its own independent of man made stories and myths, man's influences, man's cultural and societal acceptance. . , Yahweh like all the other Gods are man's creation. . .
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by vescucci(m): 2:47am On Jul 02, 2010
Lol, atheists are the coolest people on earth.

There are so many of you guys, you should start a proper religion and ditch the satanism thing, lol

Mazaje is awesome tongue
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by mazaje(m): 8:53am On Jul 02, 2010
vescucci:

Lol, atheists are the coolest people on earth.

There are so many of you guys, you should start a proper religion and ditch the satanism thing, lol

Mazaje is awesome tongue

What has the satan myth got to do with reality. . . .
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by Jenwitemi(m): 9:04am On Jul 02, 2010
As nigerians, it is quite okay to believe in the existence of a creator who loves us, if we must. I have no problem with that, whatsoever. But why in the world do we have to believe a maniacal entity like yahweh/jehovah as this loving creator? Why? shocked Just because it is written in a book? It flies in the face of logic and common sense. And Nigerians will wonder why everything is going wrong in the society of their civilization. Why wouldn't things be upside down when they have chosen to pray and worship an imported malevolent, evil being like yahweh/jehovah, and even go to the sickening extent of calling him good! shocked The maniacal, sadistic, and genocidal yahweh is good?! How sick is that? That alone is enough to get the alarm bells in a shrill that we need urgent cleansing of our psyche! And the bible did warn Nigerians about this being, but they are way too blind to see.
Good, peaceful and prosperous nations don't emerge from worshiping and praising evil entities like jehovah. We need to break the evil sharkles of jehovah and free our psyche of them.
mazaje:

How can Yahweh be the creator of the universe when he himself is the creation of men?. . .Yahweh is, throughout the narration of the stories in the OT, an anthropomorphic idol, made in the image and likeness of the artist who cast it. . . . . Yahweh started out as a primitive and warrior tribal deity who is the God of the Jews, he lived with inside a box or ark of covenant them assembled them together and addressed the some times through public speech, fights along side them with his mighty sword of slaughter, orders them to invade other cities and plunder them for worshiping other Gods, tells them to kill each other if the fail to worship him etc. . . .I want to go off topic a bit, I read a very eye opening article about the exodus some years ago and in the paper I got to know that history and archeology do not even support most of the major stories and events in the bible AT ALL. . . .

Most of the stories in the bible like Yahweh the God it talks about were mostly created to give the Jews a theological and cultural identity and nothing more, This is nothing different from the Mayans or the Yoruba's and their own folklore about Oduduwa and the other Gods like Sango and Ogun. . . .Its funny that people now choose to identify themselves with the God  the Jews invented to give them so sense of identity and community while condemning the Gods their own ancestors created to give their own sense of identity. . . . .Non of the Gods of man made religions exists that is why no God can be shown to exists on its own independent of man made stories and myths, man's influences, man's cultural and societal acceptance. . , Yahweh like all the other Gods are man's creation. . .
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by PastorAIO: 9:22am On Jul 02, 2010
Posted by: mazaje
Insert Quote

With the exception of those conservative scholars who insist on Mosaic authorship of the Torah, scholars agree that the Exodus account is a composite literary construct, composed and edited from smaller units transmitted over centuries to achieve theological and historical coherence. Recent research has identified more and more of the Exodus material as coming from the Israelite monarchy and the Exile, times long after the 2nd millennium epoch in which the narrative is set, and the original base of the story becomes corrspondingly more and more difficult to identify. While the overall intent of the narrative is historical, it is not history in the modern sense, but as a theology set against a historical background, illustrating how the God of Israel acted to save and strengthen his chosen people, the Children of Israel, and that it is therefore inappropriate to approach miraculous events such as the burning bush and the plagues of Egypt as if they were modern history.

Recently, the archeologists Israel Finkelstein (Tel Aviv University) and Neil Asher Silberman (director of historical interpretation, Ename Center for Public Archeology and Heritage Presentation, Belgium) summarized the archeological findings and latest corrections regarding the historical origins of the Jewish nation. In their words, "The process that we describe here is, in fact, the opposite of what we have in the Bible: the emergence of early Israel was an outcome of the collapse of the Canaanite culture, not its cause. And most of the Israelites did not come from outside Canaan - they emerged from within it. There was no mass exodus from Egypt. There was no violent conquest of Canaan".

Finkelstein and Silberman point out that there is still no evidence for the existence of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Lot, Moses, and Joshua. There is no evidence that Jewish people existed as an identified people that were enslaved in Egypt. There is no evidence that over 600,000 men (plus women and children - the number could have been over a million) had an exodus from Egypt and wandered in the desert for 40 years. According to the Bible, 38 of these 40 years were actually spent encamped at Kadesh-barnea. This area has been turned upside down for decades, looking for even a tiny piece of pottery from this supposed time. It is not likely that this many people would have lived here this long and not left archeological evidence.

The archeological evidence contradicts the Biblical theme of Joshua taking control of the Israelites from Moses and conquering Canaan. For example, the Egyptians had a strong presence in Canaan at this time, yet the Biblical accounts make no mention of this. The Biblical themes of the origins of Israel are myths. Like the gospel accounts of the New Testament, they were fabricated in later times and inserted into earlier times as a tool of religious and political propagandists,

If you like finkelstein and silberman so much then you ought to also check out the work of Amnon ben Tor and Sharon Zuckerman. Google them and see what comes up.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by JeSoul(f): 3:22pm On Jul 02, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Thank you for asking. I will suggest the following attributes;
1)It is the life force as well as the unifying source of all it's creation.
2)It has no chosen people. All creation is chosen by it, and as a result, all are equally special.
3)It is all knowing or omniscient.
4)It is omnipresent/ all present. It is everywhere all the time and at the same time.
5)All powerful/ omnipotent.
6)It is omni-benevolent or all loving.
7)It is the unifying force of all creation, and not the source of separation that we have been led to believe.
coolIt has no name, except the names given to it by humans on their own volition.
9)It is an egoless entity that is totally transcendent of any human ego generated emotions like wrath, jealousy, parochialism, egocentrism, arrogance, etc.
10) It demands no worship or praise because it is transcendent of any desire for such.
11)It has no gender(which why i am using "IT" for it because).
12) It's inability to have an enemy because of it's transcendence through it's nature of egolessness.

These are the attributes of what [size=16pt]i [/size] consider to be the true creator God of the universe. But let us start with this list. Can you let us know which of these attributes did the jewish tribal deity fulfill?

But doesn't that single letter nullify your entire post Jenwitemi? As Vesc pointed out earlier, perhaps the problem is with our perception of what we expect God to be like? I know you were just giving your opinion though.

However, have you considered that if God was God, He(just a term) would by light years and leap dimensions transcend all the classifications you've just given above?

I understand we can only work off the limitations of our mind, but perhaps this is why we should refrain from projecting ourselves onto God and ascribing certain characteristics onto Him as well? Also, you do realize this sin of subjectivity is the same you accuse religionists of. But perhaps this sin is not such a bad one. Faith, or the lack thereof is a very personal and intimate thing. So either way, I don't think the veracity of a persons faith should be subject to another's terms and conditions. Let each man decide for himself and by their fruit ye shall know them . . .

Vesc, deny all you want. The truth is there for all to see.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by Mudley313: 4:12pm On Jul 02, 2010
If there was a god, it definitely wont be that bloodthirsty, biased, tyrannical and maniacal jewish deity with an overblown ego called yahweh created in the image of savage bronze age jewish normads in their own image

one thing i've always wondered, if yahweh was supposedly revealed to the israelites at a point in time through their prophets and this is the same god portrayed in the adam and eve myth; when then was there a disconnect between yahweh and humans (who he spoke directly to in earlier times) that he needed to be reintroduced as the one and only true god to the wandering jews?
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by Jenwitemi(m): 5:07pm On Jul 02, 2010
JeSoul:

But doesn't that single letter nullify your entire post Jenwitemi? As Vesc pointed out earlier, perhaps the problem is with our perception of what we expect God to be like? I know you were just giving your opinion though.
I don't see how that nullifies the entire post, jesoul. Every attribute in that corresponds with the general view of theists of what the creator should be. In any case, Yahweh cannot even fulfill a single one of those attributes.
I do agree with you, though, that human perception of what the creator should be plays a role, but don't you think that we should reject in it's totality, the jewish perception of what the creator should be, when it stinks so much?

JeSoul:

However, have you considered that if God was God, He(just a term) would by light years and leap dimensions transcend all the classifications you've just given above?

Yes, i have considered this, but the attributes in the list is already light years ahead of the attributes of Yahweh, and that is the point here.

JeSoul:

I understand we can only work off the limitations of our mind, but perhaps this is why we should refrain from projecting ourselves onto God and ascribing certain characteristics onto Him as well?
Maybe we should. All the more reason why we should reject the jewish projection of what God should be, YAHWEH.

JeSoul:

Also, you do realize this sin of subjectivity is the same you accuse religionists of. But perhaps this sin is not such a bad one. Faith, or the lack thereof is a very personal and intimate thing. So either way, I don't think the veracity of a persons faith should be subject to another's terms and conditions. Let each man decide for himself and by their fruit ye shall know them . . .
Jesoul, i do not consider subjectivity to be a sin, so i never accused any religionist of that. I have a deep understanding of what faith is and how personal it is to each individual. I do not dispute that. But what i reject totally is the imposition of someone else's subjectivity on others, which is what religion is, especially henotheistic religions. Believe my subjective perceptions or burn in hell. That is totally insane.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by Jenwitemi(m): 5:08pm On Jul 02, 2010
Mudley313:

If there was a god, it definitely wont be that bloodthirsty, biased, tyrannical and maniacal jewish deity with an overblown ego called yahweh created in the image of savage bronze age jewish normads in their own image

one thing i've always wondered, if yahweh was supposedly revealed to the israelites at a point in time through their prophets and this is the same god portrayed in the adam and eve myth; when then was there a disconnect between yahweh and humans (who he spoke directly to in earlier times) that he needed to be reintroduced as the one and only true god to the wandering jews?
Exactly.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by JeSoul(f): 5:27pm On Jul 02, 2010
Jenwitemi:

I don't see how that nullifies the entire post, jesoul. Every attribute in that corresponds with the general view of theists of what the creator should be. In any case, Yahweh cannot even fulfill a single one of those attributes.
My brother, general view doesn't equal the whole truth. If God is God, then our human minds will never be able to apprehend Him in his entirety. We're grasping at small straws so to speak.

I do agree with you, though, that human perception of what the creator should be plays a role, but don't you think that we should reject in it's totality, the jewish perception of what the creator should be, when it stinks so much?
Yes, i have considered this, but the attributes in the list is already light years ahead of the attributes of Yahweh, and that is the point here.

I gave this example once.

I was at a dept mtg and someone made a presentation on a new approach on drug development. Scientist A said "this is a novel method of approach that could revolutionalize the industry" while Scientist B said "this is pure speculation and conjecture, has no basis or real foundation and could be a total disaster for a company".

Who is right? Scientist A or B? is their reasoning shaped by their different personal experiences?

My point is that 2 people - both experts - can look at a singluar thing and make vastly different declarations about it. Many such as yourself see the God in the OT in a negative light, there are many of us on the other side. Who is right? is there even a right?

Jesoul, i do not consider subjectivity to be a sin, so i never accused any religionist of that.
Sorry, you may have misunderstood me, and I didn't make my point clearly. My bad. I meant matters of faith are subjective and vary from person to person likewise the suggestions on the attributes of God was also subjective = we're all committing the same sin. Make sense? hope so.

I have a deep understanding of what faith is and how personal it is to each individual. I do not dispute that. But what i reject totally is the imposition of someone else's subjectivity on others, which is what religion is, especially henotheistic religions. Believe my subjective perceptions or burn in hell. That is totally insane.
No its not brotha. Religion is not the culprit - the practitioners are. There are many christians, muslims, hindus that have done incredibly noble things because of their faith - and vice versa. You cannot indcit all of religion because of the many bad eggs.

Besides what does it matter to you or anyone who doesn't believe a religion that it teaches "you'll go to hell"? if you don't believe it then it doesn't matter to you right? Leave those who believe it to deal with that. As long as the practice of their faith does not infringe on you then where's the beef?
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 7:53pm On Jul 02, 2010
mazaje:

mazaje:

Science is "pick and choose" what tosses your salad  It effectively, allows you, like religion tongue, decide your own truth as you ignore what you wish and accept what you don't want.

Very recently, I was opportune to be watching tv when National Geographic aired a program titled "The ten plagues of the Bible - the first curses". Effectively, Science has "discovered" that these ten plagues really did happen in the exact order they appear in the Bible.

However, there is another explanation given to it - The "bloodying" of the Nile was due to Climatic change (probably due to global warming from all the horses of egpyt farting non-stop  tongue) which caused unusual growth of a particular algae which supposedly turns water to as blood. This "bloodying" forced the frogs in the water to come out (the second plague). Their subsequent death in unfamiliar conditions led to the invasion of flies and insects since the frogs (their natural predators) had ALL died. This brought about the next plague etc etc etc (you get the point).

I also have links I'm searching for that proved the Red Sea was crossed by the Israelites and that the same sea bogged down and destroyed Pharaoh's Army. So basically science itself throws out Mazaje's argument above that these events were not historical even if science tries to downplay the issue by providing "natural" reasons for what can suddenly no longer be denied.

But the point is missed - how did Moses know about them all in advance? How come he raised his hands at the very instant they started, as it were, announcing them. How are scientists explaining the plague that befell Egypt's firstborn? From the program:

The cause of the final plague, the death of the first borns of Egypt, has been suggested as being caused by a fungus that may have poisoned the grain supplies, of which male first born would have had first pickings and so been first to fall victim.
UNQUOTE

"Rubbish". So the first born had access before their fathers and mothers, ehn? And everyone else supposedly waited for them to eat and digest the food (to know if it would kill them?) because they were firstborn, before the others ate, ehn?

The skies changing color is also explained away as the effect of a Volcano far away at the same time - What matters is how did Moses know?

Science shifts and turns and whist having produced a lot of innovations and usefulness to us, has its limits.

Watch the program yourself at http://www.mytvblog.org/?p=7971

http://rapidshare.com/files/374011374/National.Geographic.The.Ten.Plagues.of.the.Bible.The.First.Curses.part1.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/374009617/National.Geographic.The.Ten.Plagues.of.the.Bible.The.First.Curses.part2.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/374028195/National.Geographic.The.Ten.Plagues.of.the.Bible.The.First.Curses.part3.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/374017337/National.Geographic.The.Ten.Plagues.of.the.Bible.The.First.Curses.part4.rar.html

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
—  Donald Menzuel quoting Sherlock Holmes (1953)

The ten plagues were truth. I am trying to find the "Science" link that proves that the Red Sea was crossed! This would inform that mazaje's scholars and the archeologists Israel Finkelstein (Tel Aviv University) and Neil Asher Silberman (director of historical interpretation, Ename Center for Public Archeology and Heritage Presentation, Belgium); were speaking out of turn based on a bias that has nothing to do with truth. Hold on a while
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 8:28pm On Jul 02, 2010
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article601300.ece

Please note the following words in the article

Scientists and historians have long speculated that the 10 “plagues” suffered by Egypt might have been linked in a “domino theory” of natural causes.
UNQUOTE

Note there is no suggestion they didn't take place, just an attempt to explain them away.

Atheist Horatio: O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

Believer Hamlet: And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

God Shakespeare, Hamlet
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by Nobody: 12:04am On Jul 03, 2010
Nice one nuclearboy. Hope to join fully nxt monday
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by mazaje(m): 12:46am On Jul 03, 2010
Interesting rejoinder from nuclearboy. . . .

nuclearboy:

Science is "pick and choose" what tosses your salad  It effectively, allows you, like religion  tongue, decide your own truth as you ignore what you wish and accept what you don't want.

Very recently, I was opportune to be watching tv when National Geographic aired a program titled "The ten plagues of the Bible - the first curses". Effectively, Science has "discovered" that these ten plagues really did happen in the exact order they appear in the Bible.

Are you really sure about this claim? I have read from so many sources that talks about the plagues happening but not as the bible puts it. . . .Firstly I am not saying that there were no plagues that happened in Egypt thousands of years ago but archeological findings do not support the biblical narrative at all. . . .

However, there is another explanation given to it - The "bloodying" of the Nile was due to Climatic change (probably due to global warming from all the horses of egpyt farting non-stop  tongue) which caused unusual growth of a particular algae which supposedly turns water to as blood. This "bloodying" forced the frogs in the water to come out (the second plague). Their subsequent death in unfamiliar conditions led to the invasion of flies and insects since the frogs (their natural predators) had ALL died. This brought about the next plague etc etc etc (you get the point).

Yep this explanation is more rational than saying that Yahweh cursed the Egyptians since there is NO evidence any where else beside the Hebrew text that the Israelis were ever enslaved in Egypt in the first places, the Egyptians have no record of them ever being enslaved in Egypt. . .

I also have links I'm searching for that proved the Red Sea was crossed by the Israelites and that the same sea bogged down and destroyed Pharaoh's Army. So basically science itself throws out Mazaje's argument above that these events were not historical even if science tries to downplay the issue by providing "natural" reasons for what can suddenly no longer be denied.

I will love to see the archeological or scientific evidence that says that the red sea was once divided into two using a rod for the Jews to cross over, last time I checked even the Christians archeologist were lost as to the right route the Jews would have taken if the story were true. . . .The exodus remains NON HISTORICAL. . . .It has all the elements of a myth contained in it, Firstly the real name of the Pharaoh of Egypt was NEVER mentioned in the bible, which is very telling, All Egyptian pharaohs had names, the bible fails to mention the name of the pharaoh whom the story revolves around. . . .Over a 100 years of archeology finds NOTHING to support the exodus narrative. . .

Archaeology

A century of research by archaeologists and Egyptologists has found nothing which can be directly related to the Exodus narrative of an Egyptian captivity and the escape and travels through the wilderness,[8] and it has become increasingly clear that Iron Age Israel - the kingdoms of Judah and Israel - has its origins in Canaan, not Egypt:[19] the culture of the earliest Israelite settlements is Canaanite, their cult-objects are those of the Canaanite god El, the pottery remains in the local Canaanite tradition, and the alphabet used is early Canaanite. Almost the sole marker distinguishing the "Israelite" villages from Canaanite sites is an absence of pig bones, although whether this can be taken as an ethnic marker or is due to other factors remains a matter of dispute.[20] While some archaeologists leave open the possibility of a Semitic tribe coming from Egyptian servitude among the early hilltop settlers and that Moses or a Moses-like figure may have existed in Transjordan ca 1250-1200, they dismiss the possibility that the Exodus could have happened as described in the bible.[21]

In the first half of the 20th century the Exodus was dated on the basis of 1 Kings 6:1, which states that the Exodus occurred 480 years before the construction of Solomon's Temple. Equating the biblical chronology with dates in history is notoriously difficult, but Edwin Thiele's widely accepted reconciliation of the reigns of the Israelite and Judahite kings would imply an Exodus around 1450 BC, during the reign of Pharaoh Thutmose III (1479-1425 BC).[30]  By the mid-20th century it had become apparent that the archaeological record made this date impossible. The mummy of Thutmoses III had already been discovered in 1881,[31]  and Egyptian records of that period do not mention the expulsion of any group that could be identified with over 2 million Hebrew slaves, nor any events which could be identified with the Biblical plagues. In addition, digs in the 1930s had failed to find traces of the simultaneous destruction of Canaanite cities c.1400 BC - in fact many of them, including Jericho, the first Canaanite city to fall to the Israelites according to the Book of Joshua, were uninhabited at the time.

Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by mazaje(m): 12:51am On Jul 03, 2010

Biblical plagues happened in reality, say scientists

Scientists have claimed that the Biblical plagues that devastated Ancient Egypt in the Old Testament really happened and were the result of global warming and a volcanic eruption.

According to a report in The Telegraph, researchers believe they have found evidence of real natural disasters on which the ten plagues of Egypt, which led to Moses freeing the Israelites from slavery in the Book of Exodus in the Bible, were based.

Archaeologists now widely believe the plagues occurred at an ancient city of Pi-Rameses on the Nile Delta, which was the capital of Egypt during the reign of Pharaoh Rameses the Second, who ruled between 1279BC and 1213BC.

The city appears to have been abandoned around 3,000 years ago and scientists claim the plagues could offer an explanation.

Climatologists studying the ancient climate at the time have discovered a dramatic shift in the climate in the area occurred towards the end of Rameses the Second's reign.

They found that Rameses reign coincided with a warm, wet climate, but then the climate switched to a dry period.

The scientists believe this switch in the climate was the trigger for the first of the plagues.

The rising temperatures could have caused the river Nile to dry up.

This marks the arrival of the first plague, which in the Bible is described as the Nile turning to blood.

According to Dr Stephan Pflugmacher, a biologist at the Leibniz Institute for Water Ecology and Inland Fisheries in Berlin, this description could have been the result of a toxic fresh water algae.

He said that the bacterium, known as Burgundy Blood algae, is known to have existed 3,000 years ago and still causes similar effects today.

"It multiplies massively in slow-moving warm waters with high levels of nutrition. And as it dies, it stains the water red," he said.

The scientists also claim that the arrival of this algae set in motion the events that led to the second, third and forth plagues - frogs, lice and flies.

The arrival of the toxic algae would have triggered such a transformation and forced the frogs to leave the water where they lived.

But as the frogs died, it would have meant that mosquitoes, flies and other insects would have flourished without the predators to keep their numbers under control.

This, according to the scientists, could have led in turn to the fifth and sixth plagues - diseased livestock and boils.

The explosion of the volcano Thera, which was part of the Mediterranean islands of Santorini, just north of Crete, around 3,500 years ago, is now also thought to be responsible for triggering the seventh, eighth and ninth plagues that bring hail, locusts and darkness to Egypt.

The cause of the final plague, the death of the first borns of Egypt, has been suggested as being caused by a fungus that may have poisoned the grain supplies, of which male first born would have had first pickings and so been first to fall victim. (ANI)

http://sify.com/news/biblical-plagues-happened-in-reality-say-scientists-news-international-kd4nOcfdded.html

Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 7:50am On Jul 03, 2010
Horatio mazaje

The point is that they happened and Moses knew about them "in advance". My posts show I do not subscribe to the Bible thumping brigade's ideas of the world being 6, 000 years old or much stuff like that so please discuss with me and not with them "through me". [1] The plagues happened. [2] these preceded Israel leaving Egypt. Once these two are stated, it is puerile to say the Biblical exodus was non-historical thus proving the "scholars" and "archaelogists" you quoted deliberately twisted fact to push forward their own agenda. OR they are ignorant of scientific findings and thus purely opinionated and not worthy of the term "science".

I would believe from what you've put up on NL in the past you will not take opinions as fact, at least not deliberately.

Though highly subject to criticism, there was recently a documentary made by "James Cameron" and titled "Exodus decoded" which pushes forward another theory for the crossing of the red sea which whist "subject to a lot of debate", provides a theory for the crossing. He asserts that the Israelites crossed the "reed sea" and that a mistake in translation had that as "RED SEA". The reed sea is only inches deep in some portions and tide out brings that water depth to practically nothing. The Biblical narrative has Moses expelled from Egypt earlier in his life and having to wander on his own for a long time till he got to Midian. The idea is that Moses likely found out about the "tidal patterns" of the reed sea whist banished. At the time of the exodus, he led Israel to the low spots, waited til tide was out and they walked across what would have seemed to them (not knowing anything about the reed sea tidal patterns) as a miracle i.e. it was Moses who parted the sea.

Egypt in pursuit suddenly found Israel almost on the other side and followed - but with chariots laden with heavily armored men. These were bogged down and then the tides came back in.

I would expect a sincere human to understand that God will rarely take out of nature. With such a story as the ten plagues and crossing, is it impossible knowing they took place, that God used the forces of nature (which He created anyway) to achieve the plagues and crossing? Why was it at the exact time Moses was entreating Pharaoh and threatening him that the "burgundy blood" algae decided to show up? Was the global warming caused by a higher pepper level in food leading to particularly flatulent farting across the continents of the world? Did the ancients know about algae that color water. Or that such would force frogs out of their habitat? Or that the death of such would create a population explosion in gnats, lice and insects which would afflict cattle and flocks, killing them etc etc? Yet Moses knew about them in the exact order they came about - that is the miracle here; that and science claiming it was natural and keeping quiet about how a shepherd knew about it!

But we are not discussing miracles here. The point is the Bible story is historical throwing out the "facts" of the "scholars and archaelogists" you quoted. As science finds more evidence of historical happenings and discovers more, time will throw out the others - count on it.

mazaje:

there is NO evidence any where els beside the Hebrew text that the Israelis were ever enslaved in Egypt in the first places, the Egyptians have no record of them ever being enslaved in Egypt. . .

The ancient Jewish historian Flavius Josephus suggested in his work Contra Apion that the Hyksos were, in fact, the ancient Hebrews. It is incontestable that Hyksos lived under Egyptian rule in Egypt. Other names that have been used for Hebrews in history include Hiberu and Apiru, described in Wikipedia as " names given by various Sumerian, Egyptian, Akkadian, Hittite, Mitanni, and Ugaritic sources (dated, roughly, from before 2000 BC to around 1200 BC) to a group of people living as nomadic invaders in areas of the Fertile Crescent from Northeastern Mesopotamia and Iran to the borders of Egypt in Canaan." They are "variously described as nomadic or semi-nomadic, rebels, outlaws, raiders, mercenaries, and bowmen, servants, slaves, migrant laborers, etc."

But your post above would have us believe that Yoruba history, if not containing the word "Yoruba-Yoruba", used by ibos to describe us, would be vacuous and a lie if it doesn't use that word itself in talking about yorubas? So let me ask you, are there "Yoruba-ngbatis"? Look again at wikipedias description - "variously described as nomadic or semi-nomadic, rebels, outlaws, raiders, mercenaries, and bowmen, servants, slaves, migrant laborers, etc." Does this not accurately describe the Biblical description of the Hebrews? BTW, the Hyksos lived on the border of Egpyt in the lands called Goshen by the Hebrews.

You then go ahead to say

mazaje:

I will love to see the archeological or scientific evidence that says that the red sea was once divided into two using a rod for the Jews to cross over, last time I checked even the Christians archeologist were lost as to the right route the Jews would have taken if the story were true. . . .The exodus remains NON HISTORICAL. . . .It has all the elements of a myth contained in it, Firstly the real name of the Pharaoh of Egypt was NEVER mentioned in the bible, which is very telling, All Egyptian pharaohs had names, the bible fails to mention the name of the pharaoh whom the story revolves around. . . .Over a 100 years of archeology finds NOTHING to support the exodus narrative. . .

The "reed sea", not red sea (though speculative, as ALL THINGS SCIENCE HAS NO ANSWERS FOR)! and the rest of your post has all the elements of a decision to refuse ALL evidence - 1st you JUDGE it never took place and then hinge that on what? [1] non-knowledge of route. (can you show me the house YOUR grandfather's grandfather was born in probably less than 300 years ago? Abi he never existed too?) But your reasoning insists he never existed because you can't find evidence of a trail used over 3,000 years ago [2] elements of myth [man can never fly talkless go to space said 300 years ago]. [3] you don't know the Pharaohs name!  cheesy why would they name the Pharaoh? For science today in its search for answers, it may look important but of what import was it to the Hebrews? Were they considering 3000 years ahead (oh, write down the dudes name cos science would want to know it to "confirm" we went through all these). Then you say "over 100 years of archaelogy has found nothing to support it"  grin How many years did it take to discover the "RED SEA SCROLLS"?  cheesy But of course, the red sea scrolls never existed and still don't, ehn? And aircraft? They too were a lie out of a deluded brain, ehn, in 1820! Well we're in 2010 and they exist. Wait till the evidence is found rather than JUDGING it doesn't exist BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS.

As time passes, more and more is found but its difficult to say we were oh, so wrong; so science explains it away. Which is fine by us. Truth stands whether you acknowledge it or no.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by mazaje(m): 9:41pm On Jul 04, 2010
nuclearboy:

Horatio mazaje

The point is that they happened and Moses knew about them "in advance". My posts show I do not subscribe to the Bible thumping brigade's ideas of the world being 6, 000 years old or much stuff like that so please discuss with me and not with them "through me". [1] The plagues happened. [2] these preceded Israel leaving Egypt. Once these two are stated, it is puerile to say the Biblical exodus was non-historical thus proving the "scholars" and "archaelogists" you quoted deliberately twisted fact to push forward their own agenda. OR they are ignorant of scientific findings and thus purely opinionated and not worthy of the term "science".

OK nice, I said that the biblical exodus is non historical based on the lack of facts to support the biblical narrative. . . .Historical and archeological findings do not support the biblical narrative. . .Sure the plagues may have happened but the fact is that the biblical narrative does not have any support outside the bible for example the Egyptian record do not support the biblical account and so on. . . .I will like you to show any document outside the bible that talks about the Jews leaving Egypt, even the Egyptian records do not have anything to show that the Jews were enslaved in Egypt. . .

Though highly subject to criticism, there was recently a documentary made by "James Cameron" and titled "Exodus decoded" which pushes forward another theory for the crossing of the red sea which whist "subject to a lot of debate", provides a theory for the crossing. He asserts that the Israelites crossed the "reed sea" and that a mistake in translation had that as "RED SEA". The reed sea is only inches deep in some portions and tide out brings that water depth to practically nothing. The Biblical narrative has Moses expelled from Egypt earlier in his life and having to wander on his own for a long time till he got to Midian. The idea is that Moses likely found out about the "tidal patterns" of the reed sea whist banished. At the time of the exodus, he led Israel to the low spots, waited til tide was out and they walked across what would have seemed to them (not knowing anything about the reed sea tidal patterns) as a miracle i.e. it was Moses who parted the sea.

This is merely the guys opinions and i don't think it holds much water. . .

Egypt in pursuit suddenly found Israel almost on the other side and followed - but with chariots laden with heavily armored men. These were bogged down and then the tides came back in.

Here is a quote from wkipedia that helps here so that you understand my position on the issue. . .

The view of mainstream modern biblical scholarship is that the biblical books which make up the Exodus story were written not as history, but to demonstrate God's purpose and deeds with his Chosen People, Israel.[8]  [b]The essentially theological motivation of the story explains the improbability of the underlying scenario: according to Exodus 12:37, 600,000 adult Israelite "fighting men" leaving Egypt with Moses, plus an unspecified but apparently large "mixed multitude" of non-Israelites;[9]  Numbers 1:46 gives a more precise total of 603,550.[10]  The 600,000, plus wives, children, the elderly, and the "mixed multitude," would have numbered some two million people,[11]  compared with an entire estimated Egyptian population of around 3 million.[12]  Marching ten abreast, and without accounting for livestock, they would have formed a line 150 miles long.[13]  No evidence exists that Egypt ever suffered such a demographic and economic catastrophe, nor is there evidence that the Sinai desert ever hosted, or could have hosted, these millions of people and their herds,[14]  nor of a massive population increase in Canaan, which is estimated to have had a population of only 50,000 to 100,000 at the time.[15]  The Israeli scholar Abraham Malamat has proposed that the word eleph,  "thousand[/b]," should be read as referring to military units, giving a more credible Hebrew population of less than 20,000;[16]  but the American Evangelical scholar Barry Bietzel suggests the number of 603,550 people delivered from Egypt in Numbers 1 :46 is not simply a number but contains a secret message, a gematria  (a kind of secret code in which numbers stand for letters of the alphabet) for bene yisra'el kol ros, "the children of Israel, every individual".[17]  The number 600,000 in Exodus 12:13 is also a code, but of a different sort: in the numerology of the Priestly  strand of the Exodus story, six and its multiples symbolise destruction: the number 600,000 therefore indicates the total destruction of the generation of Israel which leaves Egypt, none of whom live to see the Promised Land.[18

I would expect a sincere human to understand that God will rarely take out of nature. With such a story as the ten plagues and crossing, is it impossible knowing they took place, that God used the forces of nature (which He created anyway) to achieve the plagues and crossing? Why was it at the exact time Moses was entreating Pharaoh and threatening him that the "burgundy blood" algae decided to show up? Was the global warming caused by a higher pepper level in food leading to particularly flatulent farting across the continents of the world? Did the ancients know about algae that color water. Or that such would force frogs out of their habitat? Or that the death of such would create a population explosion in gnats, lice and insects which would afflict cattle and flocks, killing them etc etc? Yet Moses knew about them in the exact order they came about - that is the miracle here; that and science claiming it was natural and keeping quiet about how a shepherd knew about it!

OK, I believe we will always disagree with each other on this point because we both are looking at it from very different perspectives. . .Here are my own submissions. . . .The wikipedia article I quoted best explains my position on this issue. . . .Let me repeat it again, it says that "recent research has identified more and more of the Exodus material as coming from the Israelite monarchy and the Exile, times long after the 2nd millennium epoch in which the narrative is set, and the original base of the story becomes correspondingly more and more difficult to identify. While the overall intent of the narrative is historical, it is not history in the modern sense, but as a theology set against a historical background, illustrating how the God of Israel acted to save and strengthen his chosen people, the Children of Israel.". . .The exodus narrative I believe was made to serve as a theological and cultural narrative based on some historical event that happened else were to teach and make a point and the event was not necessarily a historical fact which had anything to do with the Jews. . .As an hausa man I grew up hearing about the Bayajidah myth and how he founded the Hausa language and cities in Daura present Katsina state, If you read up the story, you will realize that the story was founded on some historical event that happened not with the Bayajidah himself but some history that happened else where but the story was later co-opted and turned into a myth that served and gave the Hausa people a sense of identity for a very long time. . .

The ancient Jewish historian Flavius Josephus suggested in his work Contra Apion that the Hyksos were, in fact, the ancient Hebrews. It is incontestable that Hyksos lived under Egyptian rule in Egypt. Other names that have been used for Hebrews in history include Hiberu and Apiru, described in Wikipedia as " names given by various Sumerian, Egyptian, Akkadian, Hittite, Mitanni, and Ugaritic sources (dated, roughly, from before 2000 BC to around 1200 BC) to a group of people living as nomadic invaders in areas of the Fertile Crescent from Northeastern Mesopotamia and Iran to the borders of Egypt in Canaan." They are "variously described as nomadic or semi-nomadic, rebels, outlaws, raiders, mercenaries, and bowmen, servants, slaves, migrant laborers, etc."

I think his suggestions are wrong because the Hykos invaded Egypt, no where in the bible does it state that the Israelis invaded Egypt. . .Josephus got the story from another source and he was the one that identifies the Hyksos with the Jews. There are so many twist to the hykos narrative and that does not even support the biblical account. . . .
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 11:23pm On Jul 04, 2010
Always such fun to discuss with someone with a brain. Most times, NL posters _ _ _ k embarassed

Where I have issues with your argument is that wikipedia has this thing - anyone, bar anyone, can serve whatever they like on wikipedia. It isless credible than the Bible it seeks to usurp seeing as there has been at least, an attempt to confirm the Bible's claims.

Science accepting the plagues did happen does support the Bible in its assertions - remember these things come from a very long time ago. The simple fact that writings confirmed to be at least 2, 500 years old tell a factual and exactly precise story, supports the writings. You would be hard pressed to find myths from other religions or histories replicated as factually in other religions or histories. Here on NL, we have the situation replicated each time we say the reason the Arabs got it wrong was because the stories of Christianity came from another religion/history rather than from Islam itself.

I agree totally that James Cameron put forward his own ideas and they cannot be "stood" upon. But I put it there to counter your wikipedia stuff which in my opinion, has as much weight - basically then, both sources were speculative and saying what suited them.

I have not seen any information as to the credibility of the idea that the Hyskos ever invaded Egypt in the sense of warfare. What I have read informed they were a peoples who lived on the edge of Egypt as "paid warriors" (auxillary forces) to the Eghptians. Their increasing numbers gave rise to fears within egyptian aristocracy that they would likely pose a threat later and this informed a systematic decimation of these people by the egyptians. I cannot for the life of me remember the link (will search for it) but I remember that in it, speculations were rife as to these people being the "enslaved" Hebrews who later attacked when they left by taking all the wealth, as it were, of Egypt. Again this is a lot of speculation but as one of the quotes I put up above reads, once it is NOT impossible and there is no other possibility, it must be truth even if improbable. Just thoughts anyway.

Enjoy your days
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 6:31am On Jul 05, 2010
Couldn't find the exact link though I searched hours. This link carries an idea of that one http://www.imninalu.net/Hyksos.htm

Further Speculations!  angry

History

http://www.jewishhistory.org/hyksos-or-hebrews/

then

", the price of twenty shekels of silver paid for Joseph in Genesis 37:28 is the correct average price for a slave in about the 18th century B.C.   Earlier than this, slaves were cheaper (average ten to fifteen shekels), and later they became steadily dearer. This is one more little detail true to its period in cultural history."

-- Ancient Orient and Old Testament, by K.A. Kitchen

"In the last verses of Genesis it is told how Joseph adjured his relatives to take his bones back to Canaan whenever God should restore them to their original home, and in Joshua 24:32 it is told how his body was indeed brought to Palestine and buried in Shechem. For centuries there was a tomb at Shechem reverenced as the Tomb of Joseph (see photo to left). A few years ago the tomb was opened. It was found to contain a body mummified according to the Egyptian custom, and in the tomb, among other things, was a sword of the kind worn by Egyptian officials."

-- Prophets, Idols and Diggers
    book by John Elder

"It is the location of of Ra'amses and Succoth that is established beyond reasonable doubt. Though earlier sought in the eastern delta at the site of Zoan/Tanis (San el-Hagar), Ra'amses must be placed at Qantir (Tell ed-Dab'a), some 17 miles to the southwest (see map above). Furthermore, it seems conclusive that that was also the site of the Hyksos capital, known in the period as Avaris. Excavators have discovered archaeological remains at Tell ed-Dab'a indicating that it was a large habitational site in the Hyksos era and into parts of the New Kingdom period. The artifacts dug up at the site (pottery, utensils, burial wares, etc.) do not conform to Egyptian typology, but rather to what is found in contemporary layers in Palestine. In The Ancient Near East: A History, the authors comment, "Archaeologically, it is as if the site were actually in Palestine."  Just north of the tell a tile factory was found where glazed blue tiles were manufactured for use in the palatial estates of the pharaohs. And in the environs of this installation were found certain ostraca that actually bear the name of Ra'amses. This was the locale in which the Israelites lived and from which the Israelites began their journey.

In a word, it appears that the biblical, historical, and archaeological data are best served by theorizing that it was a Hyksos monarch before whom Joseph stood as an interpreter of dreams (Gen. 41:14-37) and who later ceded a choice parcel of land (Goshen) to Joseph's family (Gen. 47:6). According to such a theory, the "new king" of Exodus 1:8 would have been one of the native Egyptian monarchs of the New Kingdom who, as part of his Hyksos purge, resolutely refused to recognize the validity of the Goshen land grant. Discerning in the Israelites a multitude who might very well join with his Asiatic enemies in war, this new king moreover acted quickly to enslave the Israelites.

The above-mentioned theory also fits well with the historical profile attested in the book of Genesis. The patriarchs moved in and through Palestine for some 215 years (cf. Gen. 12:4; 21:5; 25:26; 47:9), seemingly with the greatest of ease, mobility and freedom. Yet, it is inconceivable that their movements should have gone unnoticed (e.g., Gen. 14:14). That bespeaks a political climate in Palestine that would have been free from any sort of national or international domination, which is truly characteristic of that period between 1850 and 1550 B.C. The theory might also humanly explain how Joseph, a non-Egyptian, was able to rise to a position of Grand Vizier in a foreign land -- the court itself would not have been Egyptian, but Hyksos. It also might explain why there is no historical mention of Joseph.

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/Gallery/joseph.htm
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 8:40am On Jul 05, 2010
The title of this thread - "Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God". Yahweh is the "God" of the Hebrews, not so?

I'd like views on the following statement then - "All of Jewish history is played against the backdrop of world history, but all of world history is intertwined with the Jewish people." Why the Jews? Why not say the Egyptians who were a world power? Why not Medo-Persia that followed? Why not Greece? Why not Rome? Each of these 4 empires was little known until it came into prominence as a world power and after that, zilch!

Why a tiny collection of tribes which seem to have usurped and upset every single period in history, including the present? Always, everywhere these people have been at the center of most any issues on the world stage! What then does that suggest about them and their "God"? And why does every single religious belief of standing have "much" in common with the primary belief of Christianity? Much as stated, of course, is subject to interpretation. But even Ifa of yoruba land has "ELA" the deliverer, who came to earth through a virgin and would lead all that followed Him to heavenly bliss.

A lot (too many) of coincidences makes doubt a proposition somewhat "deliberate", in my opinion. And the evidence, as it were, demands an unbiased verdict!
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by PastorAIO: 9:31am On Jul 05, 2010
aaa aaah!!! What about Chinese civilization that have been going strong for about 6,000 years? The inventions of Gunpowder etc etc. Your above statement is so eurocentric that it's almost scary. We have all been colonized but surely by now we ought to be aware that the world and it's history is much bigger that the way the europeans see it.

Let's not forget Aztecs and Maya.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by Jenwitemi(m): 9:53am On Jul 05, 2010
Thank you, pastor. A very myopic and small-minded statement made by nuclearboy. Let's not forget the great civilizations of the indian subcontinent like the ancient Rama Empire.
Pastor AIO:

aaa aaah!!! What about Chinese civilization that have been going strong for about 6,000 years? The inventions of Gunpowder etc etc. Your above statement is so eurocentric that it's almost scary. We have all been colonized but surely by now we ought to be aware that the world and it's history is much bigger that the way the europeans see it.

Let's not forget Aztecs and Maya.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 10:24am On Jul 05, 2010
Civilizations have always existed. I spoke in the context of the world stage - how many empires of world status have there been on earth?

@Jenwitemi:

re: "A very myopic and small-minded statement".

Insults are my forte! I assure you of that. This is the second time you're pushing me. You would be well served considering that the quote I made and bolded did not come from me but from http://www.jewishhistory.org/hyksos-or-hebrews/ Call them whatever you wish but stop following me around like you're seeking hausa manhood rites and need to prove yourself. Its not worth it to give offence when none was offered you!
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by PastorAIO: 12:17pm On Jul 05, 2010
abegi o! Don't push nuclearboy or he will detonate on you and you won't like that.

As it happens nuclear I have a theory on why Judaism became so influential on world history, and with it christianity, but it is long. I've got notes on it that are about 4 pages long and so wouldn't fit in a post. But to sum it up in one word I would say that it is down to proselytism and appealing to the underdog.
If you wanna know my thoughts I could post it up bit by bit, but I warn that it is long. It sweeps through the entire history of judaism up to the present day.
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by vescucci(m): 1:35pm On Jul 05, 2010
I wanna read it. Does that count?
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 2:27pm On Jul 05, 2010
Oga mi Pastor_AIO:

Of course you know you're baiting me by asking if I'd like to read something from you - if it can hold YOUR attention long enough for you to go through four pages of it, I'm sure it's more than sensible.

Please put it up but on a new thread so we don't derail this thread!
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by mazaje(m): 3:50pm On Jul 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

The title of this thread - "Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God".  Yahweh is the "God" of the Hebrews, not so?

I'd like views on the following statement then - "All of Jewish history is played against the backdrop of world history, but all of world history is intertwined with the Jewish people." Why the Jews? Why not say the Egyptians who were a world power? Why not Medo-Persia that followed? Why not Greece?

This is simply false, it is not all the world history that is intertwined with that of the Jews, What has Chinese, Japanese, Korean,Indian, Aborigine or even the sub-Saharan African culture got to do with the history of the Jews?. . . .Before Christianity became the religion of the Roman empire and English empire with were two of the greatest empires there was NOTHING the Jewish culture had to do with any other culture. . . .The Jewish culture was intertwined ONLY because of proselytism, the imperialist wanted the people they had captured to worship or serve their God, I watched a documentary about Mexico and the Philippines and how the Spanish Christians changed the religious methods by  forcefully bringing the Christians doctrine into their religious and cultural rituals, the image of the their female Gods were changed forcefully changed with the image of Mary the mother of Jesus by the Spanish imperialist etc. . .Its funny but the entire Jewish history was intertwined with other middle eastern cultures and most of their traditions were obtained from other cultures, They themselves were heavily influenced by other cultures and they borrowed some of their religious stories from other cultures. . , 

Why not Rome? Each of these 4 empires was little known until it came into prominence as a world power and after that, zilch!

Hmmm. . . . . .

Why a tiny collection of tribes which seem to have usurped and upset every single period in history, including the present?

This is simply false, because the Jews did not upset ever single period in history at all. . .A lot of civilizations do not even know about them at all. . . . .The Arabs and Islam I will say has usurped and upset every single period of civilization since its birth much more than the Jews but back in the days when the religion began up until now. . . .The Arabs and their religion are a much more force to recon with than the Jews. . . .

Always, everywhere these people have been at the center of most any issues on the world stage! What then does that suggest about them and their "God"?

This is false again, how were the Jews of any importance to the Chinese, Indians, Mayans, Sub Saharan Africans, Japanese, Koreans etc say like 3000 years ago?. . . . . .How are the Jews at the center of the world stage?

And why does every single religious belief of standing have "much" in common with the primary belief of Christianity?

Are you sure about this? It seems you don't really know much about how other religions have influenced Christianity, Most of the Christian culture and doctrines were gotten from other earlier or surrounding religions most especially the Greeks, A lot of the Pauline leters look similar to those of the other Greek philosophers and many people believe that Paul was heavily influenced by their philosophy and writings. . . .Even Justin Martry acknowledges that fact. . .But only says that it was the devil that allowed the other earlier religions to have doctrines similar to that of that of Christianity just to deceive people and turn them away from the truth. . . .The virgin birth, resurrection from the dead, ascension into heaven, were NOT exclusively Christian? The Greeks heavily influenced the Christan religion and as such believers in Jews were first called Christians in Greece not in Jerusalem or in Judea. , 

Much as stated, of course, is subject to interpretation. But even Ifa of yoruba land has "ELA" the deliverer, who came to earth through a virgin and would lead all that followed Him to heavenly bliss.

Go read up about the Yoruba mythology and the similarities it has with the ancient Egyptian mythology and religion. . . .They have some similarities to. . . .

A lot (too many) of coincidences makes doubt a proposition somewhat "deliberate", in my opinion. And the evidence, as it were, demands an unbiased verdict!

Cultures influence each other and the winner or dominant culture gets to write history. . . . They are not coincidences because most religions get ideas from each other including Christianity, Nothing in Christianity is exclusive to Christians alone, the religion itself has been influenced by other earlier religions and its doctrines and rituals were also gotten from other religions . . .Nothing in Christianity is exclusively Christian. . . .Most religions share ideas and copy from each other. . . .
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by mazaje(m): 4:14pm On Jul 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

Couldn't find the exact link though I searched hours. This link carries an idea of that one http://www.imninalu.net/Hyksos.htm

OK, no wahala. I would have really loved to see the link just to educate myself with the writers views. . . .Any time you come across it you can post it. .

Further Speculations!  angry

History

http://www.jewishhistory.org/hyksos-or-hebrews/

then

", the price of twenty shekels of silver paid for Joseph in Genesis 37:28 is the correct average price for a slave in about the 18th century B.C.   Earlier than this, slaves were cheaper (average ten to fifteen shekels), and later they became steadily dearer. This is one more little detail true to its period in cultural history."

-- Ancient Orient and Old Testament, by K.A. Kitchen

"In the last verses of Genesis it is told how Joseph adjured his relatives to take his bones back to Canaan whenever God should restore them to their original home, and in Joshua 24:32 it is told how his body was indeed brought to Palestine and buried in Shechem. For centuries there was a tomb at Shechem reverenced as the Tomb of Joseph (see photo to left). A few years ago the tomb was opened. It was found to contain a body mummified according to the Egyptian custom, and in the tomb, among other things, was a sword of the kind worn by Egyptian officials."

-- Prophets, Idols and Diggers
    book by John Elder

"It is the location of of Ra'amses and Succoth that is established beyond reasonable doubt. Though earlier sought in the eastern delta at the site of Zoan/Tanis (San el-Hagar), Ra'amses must be placed at Qantir (Tell ed-Dab'a), some 17 miles to the southwest (see map above). Furthermore, it seems conclusive that that was also the site of the Hyksos capital, known in the period as Avaris. Excavators have discovered archaeological remains at Tell ed-Dab'a indicating that it was a large habitational site in the Hyksos era and into parts of the New Kingdom period. The artifacts dug up at the site (pottery, utensils, burial wares, etc.) do not conform to Egyptian typology, but rather to what is found in contemporary layers in Palestine. In The Ancient Near East: A History, the authors comment, "Archaeologically, it is as if the site were actually in Palestine."  Just north of the tell a tile factory was found where glazed blue tiles were manufactured for use in the palatial estates of the pharaohs. And in the environs of this installation were found certain ostraca that actually bear the name of Ra'amses. This was the locale in which the Israelites lived and from which the Israelites began their journey.

In a word, it appears that the biblical, historical, and archaeological data are best served by theorizing that it was a Hyksos monarch before whom Joseph stood as an interpreter of dreams (Gen. 41:14-37) and who later ceded a choice parcel of land (Goshen) to Joseph's family (Gen. 47:6). According to such a theory, the "new king" of Exodus 1:8 would have been one of the native Egyptian monarchs of the New Kingdom who, as part of his Hyksos purge, resolutely refused to recognize the validity of the Goshen land grant. Discerning in the Israelites a multitude who might very well join with his Asiatic enemies in war, this new king moreover acted quickly to enslave the Israelites.

The above-mentioned theory also fits well with the historical profile attested in the book of Genesis. The patriarchs moved in and through Palestine for some 215 years (cf. Gen. 12:4; 21:5; 25:26; 47:9), seemingly with the greatest of ease, mobility and freedom. Yet, it is inconceivable that their movements should have gone unnoticed (e.g., Gen. 14:14). That bespeaks a political climate in Palestine that would have been free from any sort of national or international domination, which is truly characteristic of that period between 1850 and 1550 B.C. The theory might also humanly explain how Joseph, a non-Egyptian, was able to rise to a position of Grand Vizier in a foreign land -- the court itself would not have been Egyptian, but Hyksos. It also might explain why there is no historical mention of Joseph.

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/Gallery/joseph.htm

OK fair enough. . . . . We will always disagree on it as I said earlier cos we view it from different perspectives, but I will ust want to point out one thing even Josephus noted that the Hykos invaded Egypt. . .

Was there a Hyksos invasion?

Manetho's account, as recorded by Josephus, of the appearance of the Hyksos in Egypt describes it as an armed invasion by a horde of foreign barbarians who met little resistance and who subdued the country by military force. He records that the Hyksos burnt their cities, destroyed temples and led women and children into slavery.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyksos

Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by nuclearboy(m): 6:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
@mazaje:

Concerning the position of the hebrews at the center of the world stage etc, I throw up my hands! You win! I think I was limiting the world to the "stage" in which Israel operated which was wrong. A re-think (guided by you and Pastor) reveals the myopic expanse cry of that view.

Picked the following up searching for that link (I know I can be a donkey atimes. Please don't be Balaam here)

There is actually some evidence that they were a people known as the Hyksos in Egypt, But they were not slaves they were fierce rulers, they had Hebrew names, and they were kicked out of Egypt at the beginning of the 18th dynasty. So there was an Exodus of these Hyksos and they are said to have robbed Egypt of all it's silver and gold and cattle and weapons on their way out. So there are similarities butween the two stories but one is an Egyptian account, and the other is a biblical account, Odly enough Tuthmosis III is the name of the king that expelled the Hyksos and it is ruffly the same name as Moses in the Egyptian language, Remamber that Moses was the adopted grandson of the Pharoah that rulled in his time.

There is no proof in either direction whether the Jews were in Egypt, but there is this Evidence of two stories that have many of the same elements, and the Roman historian Josephus Flavius who was a Jew states in his monumental writing that the Jews were infact the Hyksos.

[QUOTE]
The word Jew came into existence after the Exodus. Meaning, it's like asking if Rome had French slaves, knowing France came about well after Rome was destroyed.

If you are referring to Hebrew slaves: Yes, there is some evidence.

- There is a reference in ancient Egyptian documents to a Semitic tribe captured by Pharaoh and forced to work on the city of Ramses.
- They found an entire city that would have been perfect for location and time period, although it is impossible to say whether or not this belonged to the Hebrews.

- A clay tablet lists groups of people who were captured by the Pharaohs and one of the groups was called Habiru.

There exists theories of how all the plagues could have occurred through a series of natural events. The link explains how these things would have occurred

You can read the entire proof/theories on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/judaism/history/moses_1.shtml#section_3

WITH PARTICLAR REFERENCE TO THE SECTIONS TITLED

Were the Hebrews in Egypt? AND The tale of the basket

[/quote]
Re: Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God by Jenwitemi(m): 11:42pm On Jul 05, 2010
So, is yahweh the creator of the universe or not? Is he the inteligent designer? Is there a way it can be unequivocally confirmed? Can it be proven scientifically? The bible has not done his(Yahweh's) case for the claim to the creatorship position a whole lot of good. In fact, the bible irreparably damaged it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is So Special About The Blood Of Jesus / King Isaac Babalola Akinyele / Benefits Of The Cross Of Crucified Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 248
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.