Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,070 members, 7,821,676 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option (2309 Views)

Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba / The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by mayDtolu(m): 9:58am On Sep 06, 2018
Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option

A young life-coach Vincent Adeoba, has advised Nigerian students not to opt for a Second-class lower honours due to the very competitive nature of the labour market in Nigeria.

Vincent Adeoba

I have been encouraging undergraduates in my engagements especially on campuses not to consider second class lower (2:2) any longer as a grade to graduate with. The Nigeria labour market is competitive more than ever before and to think you will get your dream job with second class lower grade may be impossible.

The least you should graduate with is second class upper (2:1). Many of the big firms and multinationals rarely give any candidate with 2:2 grade opportunity to write their tests not to talk of getting to the interview room to show what you are made of. You need to give your academic all your efforts while on campus to make sure you don’t go below 2:1 even if it means graduating with 3.50 CGPA on dot.

I know a lot of smart people who are still at home looking for a job just because they graduated with 2:2. Some of them wrote professional exams thinking it will quickly increase their chances of getting a good job but still they are missing a lot of opportunities for not doing enough to get into the 2:1 circle.

What an employer of labour will first request for in Nigeria is not the number of qualifications you have but what you graduated with from the university especially if you are trying to get in through the graduate trainee recruitment.

In recent time, employers of labour in attempt to save energy from having to remove 2:2 CVs from their job entries always make sure they include minimum of 2:1 in their requirements and some already set up their system in a way that it automatically remove the CV of any graduate with 2:2. The only job that banks are magnanimous enough to allow 2:2 to apply for is cashier job.

If you are still on campus, you need to be more serious with your study and if you are a graduate with 2:2, here are my advice for you:

1. Put in for a skill acquisition program with a vision to build a business around the skill later.

2. Start a business with little capital and be resolute.

3. Get into the tech space to see if you can come up with a disruptive idea.

4. Go for masters abroad if your parents can afford it or look for scholarship opportunity.

5. Pick up any job opportunity that relates with what you studied even if the pay is poor and make sure you learn as much as you can on the job.

6. Develop relationship with people in your dream companies as that may help you get in through their experience hire recruitment (This is key).

7. Start your professional exams

The worst thing that can happen to you is to sit at home wasting your life because you are yet to get a job. If the paid jobs are not forthcoming. Look for a pro bono service and be committed to it. Volunteer for programs and make sure you network with people.

No matter what, don’t give up on yourself and never believe that you can’t succeed because you finished with 2:2. We have a lot of people who finished with 2:2 and are successful. Your life is up to you, don’t loan it to your certificate.

#IamVincentAdeoba

Source:https://www.tori.ng/news/89079/graduating-with-second-class-lower-is-no-longer-an.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by Poprnapoleon(m): 11:39am On Sep 06, 2018
You are right Mr. Vincent... My ex NAPTIP cds colleague
Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by Femmywilliams(m): 12:33pm On Sep 06, 2018
You are wrong Bro. I have been to couples of interviews and also conducted some too in collaboration with an HR department what a company is really after, be it private or Government is EXPERIENCE because no company wants to train you with their resources because other things to do with it, secondly the rate I see second class Lower and third class or even pass getting jobs is alarming compared to first class without no experience. I rest my case

5 Likes

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by wealthyoptimist(m): 3:12pm On Sep 06, 2018
Well said sir, well said.
Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by VenusEAGLE: 5:15pm On Sep 06, 2018
Heck I have seen a 3rd class that owns a company.. I have seen an unemployed 1st class student, in fact, one was a mathematics graduate. Would have posted the link here

1 Like

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by VenusEAGLE: 5:17pm On Sep 06, 2018
No matter the grade you graduated with just make sure you are productive and able to identify societal needs. Just have a problem solving mind set.

11 Likes

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 06, 2018
My 2.1 enabled me and friends with same grade(lucky ones) get jobs of 120-200k entry level. D one with 2.2 i used to pity him. He was once on nl selling data cos of no job. Later got a job of 50k. In my mind i was pitying him. The job exposed him to agro business. Baba dey export tins to china now. Today we d 2.1 guys dey drive muscle 04 corrola or big daddy still paying rent. My 2.2 guy dey drive venza don deck hin house. Life is not by grade

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by PlsBanMe: 7:09pm On Sep 06, 2018
Life is not by grade I agree but don't think for once you have the slightest idea what your friend with 2:2 is doing. You may be shocked if you know what he is really into.

I have stopped caring if people drive better cars than I do. I cannot do what some of these guys are into and most responsible people can't do either.

Very few successful people are into legal businesses. Several do things behind the curtain that they will never want people do.

If you know, you know.
yeyerolling:
My 2.1 enabled me and friends with same grade(lucky ones) get jobs of 120-200k entry level. D one with 2.2 i used to pity him. He was once on nl selling data cos of no job. Later got a job of 50k. In my mind i was pitying him. The job exposed him to agro business. Baba dey export tins to china now. Today we d 2.1 guys dey drive muscle 04 corrola or big daddy still paying rent. My 2.2 guy dey drive venza don deck hin house. Life is not by grade

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by darmhey(m): 7:59pm On Sep 06, 2018
2-2 is not an option, so people that have 2-2 should go and commit suicide abi? Better wake up. It'll shock you to know that those that graduated with 2-1 are the ones working for those that didn't go to school at all. If you're a graduate and you think someone will not make it just cos they had 2-2 or lower grades, you do not really understand the concept of education. 2-1 is good, 1st class is good but grades are not supposed to define you. Your selling point should not be your grade! Develop you!!!

3 Likes

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 06, 2018
angry angry angry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You graduated first class good
You graduated 2.1 sweet
You graduated 2.2 wonderful
You graduated 3rd okokobioko
You graduated pass yemasugbaskoje

You no go school... life neva finish.
Good certificate is lit ooo i no go lie but an
Uneducated Hausa selling bags of onions and beans is contributing +vely to society than a graduate wey no dey even reason on how he can help himself not to talk of the society...

I'm outta here...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7 Likes

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by ajokeasher: 8:12pm On Sep 06, 2018
Are you tied of been disappointed by your dry cleaners, or are you looking for classy dry cleaners in your neighborhood that can deliver on time and cares about good services consistently?
Then you are with the right organization.
�we are professionals and we deliver on time.
�Every daily encounter with us is breath taking.
�we just dont wash but we also care about your clothes quality.
contact us on: Whats-app or call :08138251544
-check our website:https://imperialcare.com.ng/
-follow us on twitter:@careimperial
- follow us on facebook:ImperialCare Drycleaners ...
we make delivery anywhere in lagos.
kindly make your bookings now..���
Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 06, 2018
PlsBanMe:
Life is not by grade I agree but don't think for once you have the slightest idea what your friend with 2:2 is doing. You may be shocked if you know what he is really into.

[s]I have stopped caring if people drive better cars than I do.[/s]

You have to care because that the basis of the thread. Assumptions that people who have dope certificate should live better life than those without... OP may have not stated it clearly but the intention of the writeup signifies that.

I cannot do what some of these guys are into and most responsible people can't do either.

[s]Very few successful people are into legal businesses. Several do things behind the curtain that they will never want people do.[/s]

Go and open your own curtain and mind your own biz and do what's legal.. Face your own curtain
If you know you know.

angry angry angry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you know you know

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by tbabs10166(m): 8:59pm On Sep 06, 2018
in as much as I agree with the OP, but we still need to face the reality That whether we like it or not we'll still have more people graduating with this grade, the Labour market is saturated even the 2-1 is not a guarantee to get a job as we have more graduates finishing with 2-1 and private universities are even helping them to produce more. alot of factors make people graduates with lesser grades; it's not because they don't have what it takes to graduate with high grades...i can give u an example of a friend who graduted with 2-2 and has just completed level 3 of cfa profesional exam all at one siting. My advice is whichever grade u end up finishing with; be it first class, 2-1, 2-2, third class or even pass. Just try and be productive, continue to add value to yourself in any way..your grade is not a measure of your intelligence or bril liantness. I do encourage young folks to try as much as possible to graduate with good grades, but the truth is : not graduating with high grade is not an excuse for not being successful. cos getting good job isn't just about graduating with good grades.

3 Likes

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by lilmax(m): 9:57pm On Sep 06, 2018
Lol as usual those with lesser grade will always try to defend it

so the advice you'll give your child going to school is to have 3rd class? grin

you guys should keep deceiving your selves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by nco2: 10:08pm On Sep 06, 2018
Earn as much as 300-450k monthly, na money go dey rush you be that. Check my signature and smile to the bank!

P.S. For newbies, signature can be found on my profile page which you can easily and quickly access by clicking on my name right here, just above.
Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by nco2: 10:11pm On Sep 06, 2018
Poprnapoleon:
You are right Mr. Vincent... My ex NAPTIP cds colleague

NAPTIP CDS?? That rings a bell. Did you serve in Lagos? Ikeja, precisely?
Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 07, 2018
lilmax:

if he carry 3rd class its not d end of his world na. I get first class person wey still beg me for 10k last week.
Re: Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option by jared007: 8:45am On Sep 07, 2018
lilmax:

You got their comments wrong sir. Everyone desires his kid to make a first class but just in case he fails to make it, there is always an option b.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lovely Pictures Of Some Baby Animals / Offa poly Admission Into ND Part-time And Pre-nd Programmes Re-opened / When Is Your Exam Date,time And Name And Score If You Gotten Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.