Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,805 members, 7,810,098 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

What Would Be Your Advice For Teens? By Gordon Miller - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Would Be Your Advice For Teens? By Gordon Miller (523 Views)

Nurturing Resilience: Mindfulness For Teens By Piyush Gaur / 2 Teens Got Trapped In A Shopping Cart While Performing Tiktok Challenge (VIDEO) / Kenny Blaq Supports Community Development At Teens Can Code Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Would Be Your Advice For Teens? By Gordon Miller by DAramis: 6:38pm On Sep 06, 2018
This is a great words of wisdom that needs to be shared.

Ok kids, listen up. Here is what you need to know. If I had it to do all over again at 16 with what I know now, this is what I would want to know.

That test you didn’t study for, you know that you are about to fail, in the grand scheme of things in life, it doesn’t mean shit. Stop beating yourself up over it and move on to something that really matters.

That girl you really like that doesn’t even give you the time of day, later on when you are worth millions and are on the cover of a major magazine, she is going to be kicking herself. I should know. She admitted that she regretted it… and what’s worse is I feel horrible for forcing her to admit it. Don’t be that guy.

That high school party where all your friends are drinking and doing drugs. Stay sober and stay late and drive everyone home. I did and there are several people who are alive today because of it. The one party I didn’t go to, resulted in someone dying on the drive home while drunk. We didn’t have Uber. I don’t recommend drinking and drugs in general, but if you are going to be stupid, at least be safe.
While we are on the subject of being stupid but being safe. As a teenager, if you choose to be sexually active, then at least have the presence of mind to practice safe sex. Unwanted pregnancies that end in abortion are rampant and the long term psychological impact lasts the rest of your lives even if it doesn’t hit you until later in life. Also Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) are on the rise again so, take my advice “no glove, no love”.

That “girlfriend” that you have in high school, is likely not the person you are going to marry and live happily ever after with, so stop pretending she is “your everything” and keep things in perspective. Enjoy the friendship and the relationship but when high school is over, so is the relationship. College is some “next level” shit and you don’t need your “high school sweetheart” in some long distance relationship holding you back.

That social media account you check every 5 minutes all day long, turn it off for 30 days. Watch your life get massively better and focus on real relationships for a change like we used to “back in my day.” Spend time interacting with people face to face. It is a lost art these days and one that will serve you well in both your personal relationships and in your career and business.

That job you have right now that you hate so much, you won’t have that job forever, but if you don’t give that job 100% of your attention and your boss the respect they demand even if they don’t deserve it then you will never be able to move up to a better job that you have a better chance of liking. It is called “paying your dues” and we all did it. There are no short cuts in life.

That far away place you keep dreaming of going to, go there now. As amazing as you think it is, it is actually 100x better than anything you have imagined and if you don’t go while you are young then you will never benefit from all that a trip like that has to offer. If I had it to do all over again, I would have traveled the world until I was 30.

That girl you are thinking of asking to marry, don’t. If you are under 30, you have no business getting married. In fact if you are under 25 you have no business even having a “girlfriend.” You need to focus on you and a girlfriend simply sucks all your money and time and derails your ambition and dreams. That doesn’t mean you can’t have friends and for sure doesn’t mean you won’t have sex, just stop obsessing about the “pair bond” bullshit that we have been sold as a society.

That fight you just had with your parents, go in there and apologize now. If one of them is killed in a car accident on the way to work tomorrow, your life is going to end up being a never ending shit show on continuous loop. Your parents are not the dumbest people in the world and while they may not be smarter than you, or at least as smart as you think you are, they are still your parents. They wiped your ass for 2 years before you could do it yourself. They fed you and kept you safe and warm and made sure you didn’t get eaten by wolves. Cut them some major slack.
That friend of yours that wants to borrow money, give it to them if you want to, but don’t ever expect it back. Give it as a gift because there is a 90% chance you will never see that money back and if that friendship is worth more than the $20, then just realize that giving them a gift says a lot more about you than holding a grudge later over an unpaid loan that was never going to get repaid anyway.

That friend of yours who committed suicide last week… there is nothing you could have done to prevent that. Stop blaming yourself and beating yourself up over it. Depression and mental illness are at epidemic levels and the result is record levels of suicide and school shootings and all sorts of other issues that society is having to deal with. There is nothing anyone can do to stop such thing from happening. As much as a “moment of silence” makes us feel better and as much as people are now demanding a “moment of action” instead… there is no action to be taken that will make a difference either.

That sexual assault your friend had to endure the other day, it may not have been her first and unfortunately may not be her last either. Society has changed far too much for my taste in the last 50 years. It used to be that women were respected and cherished but now they are sexualized and objectified and it is almost more than I can stand. If you are a young woman, be careful. It is only going to get worse. That party that you are going to. Don’t get drunk otherwise you won’t be able to protect yourself or worse yet defend yourself.

That opportunity to make “easy money” is never “easy” and always comes at a price, usually a little piece of your soul. So if you are thinking selling drugs to Middle Schoolers to make ends meet or make a quick $1,000 by hitting the pole, then understand that the consequences of those choices last a lifetime and as “easy” as you think that money is today, it comes with prices you have to pay for the rest of your life. There are no short cuts and no easy ways out.

That answer that you just finished reading that you think has nothing to do with you… well, you may be right. Then again, you may not be old enough to appreciate the wisdom in the 14 previous items either. I hope that you have found something useful in here. I have tried to put a little something in there for everyone. My final piece of advice to you is to do as I have done and “pay it forward.” Share your wisdom and experience some day with someone else in hopes that you might one day change their life for the better.

https://www.quora.com/

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Advice For Teens? By Gordon Miller by DAramis: 8:19pm On Sep 06, 2018
Front page Please for more views

cc Freiburger, r231

(1) (Reply)

Teni Makanaki Has Finally Blown! / Help A Brother Here!!!!!! An On/off Girlfriend Is Asking For.....….............. / As PETE EDOCHIE Celebrates His Birthday, Here Are The Collections Of His Prover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.