Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans (2860 Views)

Nigerians Are Angry As Apple Set To Release Iphone 12 / Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. / Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by engkorede(m): 5:19am On Sep 07, 2018
I am going to get real for a moment.

I am a Nigerian who has never used an iPhone grin but some Nigerians dislike iPhones beyond imagination. Well, I can’t say I love it either because I am a fan of stock Android devices.

Steve Jobs, an American entrepreneur and business magnate, founded iPhones. He was the co-founder and CEO of Apple Inc.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF IPHONES

iPhone began when Steve Jobs requested that Apple engineers research touchscreen gadgets. In 2007, Jobs announced the iPhone at the mac world convention. It received large media attention and most people started to wait for it.

In June 2007, the wait was over and the first iPhone surfaced. Apple also announced at the Worldwide Developers’ conference that it would support third-party applications. At first, the iPhone sold only with AT&T carrier due to an agreement between both companies. This agreement resulted in several court cases but was later resolved with some fine.

In July 2007, Apple paid approximately $1 million to Micheal Kovatch for the iPhone.com domain name. The domain name now redirects to

IS THE IPHONE AN EXQUISITE DEVICE?
Apple’s design and innovation team appear matchless. Their devices are often elegant and exquisite, no doubt. Most reviews are usually overwhelming.

It is like using the future of smartphones today.

–Matthew Panzarino

Recently, Apple became the first trillion dollar company in the world beating Amazon. The company hits a $1trn market capitalization 42 years after they were founded. So if you ask me, I will always tell you iPhones are elegant and exquisite.

BUT WHY DO SOME NIGERIANS HATE IPHONES STILL?
1. INABILITY TO TWEAK

Some Nigerians want to have control over their devices. They want to do whatever they think of and wish for with their device. So here you may ask me…why not jailbreak your iPhone then? These set of people want to achieve their thoughts without having to void the warranty on their devices.

2. THE HIGH PRICE
Recently, some guys were discussing iPhone merits and demerits. One of them said iPhones are overpriced.

“Why must I get a device for approximately ₦500,000 when I can get something with similar specifications at a much cheaper rate?”

–He said.

I agree with him on this. That price is outrageous and unnecessarily expensive for an average Nigerian.

3. HER PATENTS
Some tech-savvy Nigerians hate Apple because of her tendency to patent almost everything. They patented round shaped display of app icons, natural direction of scroll, etc.

However, Apple allows the usage of some of her patented features for a fee but not all. Well, this is simply a good business strategy.

4. THE CLOSED SYSTEM
iPhones are still not as popularly used in Nigeria as some other part of the world. Think Nigeria, think Android and torchlight phones. � Nigerians want to be able to relate to other devices like Android and Microsoft.

A perfect example is the Apple watch. You can’t use it without an iPhone. Another example is when you have a smart TV of any brand other than Apple, you can’t stream from your iPhone to the TV. These set of Nigerians hate iPhones for these reasons.

Source: https://icliquestore.com/nigerians-hate-iphones/

1 Like

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Nobody: 5:40am On Sep 07, 2018
And still for these lockdowns, many people hate to like it! grin
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by engkorede(m): 5:41am On Sep 07, 2018
questechie:
And still for these lockdowns, many people hate to like it! grin
Damn right!
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by hardeycute(m): 6:56am On Sep 07, 2018
The luxury nature of all Apple products makes is ostentatious to ME. But what do I know?

1 Like

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by ddjay: 8:30am On Sep 07, 2018
simple, dualise the sim and copy android thats all..then we go rush am.but it seems iphone is copying blackberry instead, an very soon they will end up like blackberry

2 Likes

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Techm8: 8:50am On Sep 07, 2018
I understand the average user doesn’t know what jailbreak is or how to go about it, but a jail broken iPhone is gold walai. Zero restrictions. There’s almost a Cydia tweak for everything!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Techm8: 8:51am On Sep 07, 2018
ddjay:
simple, dualise the sim and copy android thats all..then we go rush am.but it seems iphone is copying blackberry instead, an very soon they will end up like blackberry

Never gonna happen.
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by ollah2: 9:11am On Sep 07, 2018
Techm8:
I understand the average user doesn’t know what jailbreak is or how to go about it, but a jail broken iPhone is gold walai. Zero restrictions. There’s almost a Cydia tweak for everything!

But Android users don't even need to go extra length to flex their phones but if they choose to beast it all up then they root it

6 Likes

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Darkseid(m): 9:43am On Sep 07, 2018
The reason why most Nigerians hate the iPhone is because they can't afford it and the inability to side load pirated media and apps. If I have the cash, I won't think twice before switching to the iPhone. Back in the days, I preferred using my jailbroken iPhone 4s to my galaxy S4.

2 Likes

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by michlins(m): 9:54am On Sep 07, 2018
Aside financial commitment, I don't know any other reason Nigerians don't like iPhone. Cost is a deciding factor in device purchase

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Abdstrakt(m): 10:02am On Sep 07, 2018
The only reason is cos it’s quite expensive. That’s why Tecno thrives in Nigeria by making smartphones affordable

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by engkorede(m): 10:38am On Sep 07, 2018
hardeycute:
The luxury nature of all Apple products makes is ostentatious to ME. But what do I know?

shocked shocked shocked cheesy
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by ollah2: 11:20am On Sep 07, 2018
michlins:
Aside financial commitment, I don't know any other reason Nigerians don't like iPhone. Cost is a deciding factor in device purchase

Darkseid:
The reason why most Nigerians hate the iPhone is because they can't afford it and the inability to side load pirated media and apps. If I have the cash, I won't think twice before switching to the iPhone. Back in the days, I preferred using my jailbroken iPhone 4s to my galaxy S4.

You are dead wrong

New iPhones cost as much as high end Android phones from Samsung, Huawei, Google, HTC and Sony
Secondly, so many iPhone users buy used iPhones.

At the bolded, you compared a jailbroken iPhone to a normal Android phone. You should have rooted your Samsung and carry out tweaks then compare both of them

4 Likes

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by tomiwa20(m): 11:49am On Sep 07, 2018
Darkseid:
You are very wrong bro, most people like me likes to enjoy tech to the fullest not some useless company giving me instructions on wat to do on top something I paid for. IPhone is very boring... I wonder how focks uses the fone. Common keyboard you can't change without jailbreak. Please try and grab an ANDROID ONE device and enjoy stock android.

3 Likes

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by dreamwords: 11:55am On Sep 07, 2018
in iphones u have to respect apples rule,, but in android u are free to do what so ever u like

2 Likes

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by bigtt76(f): 11:59am On Sep 07, 2018
I see Apple falling in line with the likes of Samsung, Blackberry and Nokia that jettison their proprietary OS to adopt the use of Android OS to further push their hardware brands to many users. That way, they can reach out to many more potential users.

1 Like

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Darkseid(m): 12:19pm On Sep 07, 2018
ollah2:

You are dead wrong

New iPhones cost as much as high end Android phones from Samsung, Huawei, Google, HTC and Sony
Secondly, so many iPhone users buy used iPhones.

At the bolded, you compared a jailbroken iPhone to a normal Android phone. You should have rooted your Samsung and carry out tweaks then compare both of them

I used to be crazy with tweaking and modding phones back then. I made a lot of money in school installing custom ROMs for people with outdated phones, but I've gotten tired of it. The last time I used a rooted device was in 2016. Now I just want a simple phone with few apps as possible.

5 Likes

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Darkseid(m): 12:23pm On Sep 07, 2018
tomiwa20:

You are very wrong bro, most people like me likes to enjoy tech to the fullest not some useless company giving me instructions on wat to do on top something I paid for. IPhone is very boring... I wonder how focks uses the fone. Common keyboard you can't change without jailbreak. Please try and grab an ANDROID ONE device and enjoy stock android.
A larger percentage of phone users in Nigeria aren't techies like you but they still love to hate on iPhone users, and that's because they can't afford it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by ollah2: 12:34pm On Sep 07, 2018
Darkseid:

I used to be crazy with tweaking and modding phones back then. I made a lot of money in school installing custom ROMs for people with outdated phones, but I've gotten tired of it. The last time I used a rooted device was in 2016. Now I just want a simple phone with few apps as possible.

It's being a long while since I rooted a phone let alone modding. My comment was based on what you wrote earlier.
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by sodiqapril(m): 12:36pm On Sep 07, 2018
the only reason I'm not a fan of iPhone is because of my pocket...

1 Like

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by ollah2: 12:37pm On Sep 07, 2018
bigtt76:
I see Apple falling in line with the likes of Samsung, Blackberry and Nokia that jettison their proprietary OS to adopt the use of Android OS to further push their hardware brands to many users. That way, they can reach out to many more potential users.

How can you dump something that's making you money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by tomiwa20(m): 1:02pm On Sep 07, 2018
Darkseid:

A larger percentage of phone users in Nigeria aren't techies like you but they still love to hate on iPhone users, and that's because they can't afford it.
Pocket is included not arguable but you knw iPhone is boring, seeing same home screen every day till it damages or you sell it off. IPhone is not user friendly, how many Nigerians have access to iTunes card or buying off app store.

Bro, generally IPhone is not meant for this part of the world cos of less development. IPhone users typically just
Browse
Check emails
Check social medias
Do their normal instant messaging and repeat same activities over and over and it gets boring.

Bro pls try and check Google Pixel 2 on YouTube and you will see Android is now more that 4.4 or even 5.1.

One thing I like about Apple is Regular Updates and I think Android One is filling the Lapse now.

1 Like

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by acenazt: 1:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
Don't put price there.

Becose the same iPhone is sold as fairly used at phone markets. But a guy like me will go for 4000+ mAh battery,Ability to tweak and customize,a dual sim, a memory card slot and more readily available accessories.
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by henry007(m): 1:09pm On Sep 07, 2018
tomiwa20:

Wait who said you cannot change keyboard lol.
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by bigtt76(f): 1:28pm On Sep 07, 2018
The same way Blackberry thought they had exclusivity on Blackberry Messenger as their cash cow and refused to let go until it was too late? Or like Nokia thinking they got the best OS back then in Symbian ....now they are jostling for android market share ....Innovate or die!

ollah2:

How can you dump something that's making you money.
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by henry007(m): 1:28pm On Sep 07, 2018
Darkseid:

It's called "growing up!"
Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by ollah2: 1:30pm On Sep 07, 2018
bigtt76:
The same way Blackberry thought they had exclusivity on Blackberry Messenger as their cash cow and refused to let go until it was too late? Or like Nokia thinking they got the best OS back then in Symbian ....now they are jostling for android market share ....Innovate or die!

The difference between those companies and Apple are

1: Apple has the fans tagged Sheeples
2: Apple has the money
3: Apple is an American firm

1 Like

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by henry007(m): 1:33pm On Sep 07, 2018
bigtt76:

I guess you're missing the Trillion dollar question that is Apple's net worth.

1 Like

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Kvngbarnabee09(m): 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2018
[left][/left]
engkorede:

I am a Nigerian who has never used an iPhone grin but some Nigerians dislike iPhones beyond imagination. Well, I can’t say I love it either because I am a fan of stock Android devices.

Steve Jobs, an American entrepreneur and business magnate, founded iPhones. He was the co-founder and CEO of Apple Inc.

iPhone began when Steve Jobs requested that Apple engineers research touchscreen gadgets. In 2007, Jobs announced the iPhone at the mac world convention. It received large media attention and most people started to wait for it.

In June 2007, the wait was over and the first iPhone surfaced. Apple also announced at the Worldwide Developers’ conference that it would support third-party applications. At first, the iPhone sold only with AT&T carrier due to an agreement between both companies. This agreement resulted in several court cases but was later resolved with some fine.

In July 2007, Apple paid approximately $1 million to Micheal Kovatch for the iPhone.com domain name. The domain name now redirects to

Apple’s design and innovation team appear matchless. Their devices are often elegant and exquisite, no doubt. Most reviews are usually overwhelming.

–Matthew Panzarino

Recently, Apple became the first trillion dollar company in the world beating Amazon. The company hits a $1trn market capitalization 42 years after they were founded. So if you ask me, I will always tell you iPhones are elegant and exquisite.

1. INABILITY TO TWEAK

Some Nigerians want to have control over their devices. They want to do whatever they think of and wish for with their device. So here you may ask me…why not jailbreak your iPhone then? These set of people want to achieve their thoughts without having to void the warranty on their devices.

2. THE HIGH PRICE
Recently, some guys were discussing iPhone merits and demerits. One of them said iPhones are overpriced.

“Why must I get a device for approximately ₦500,000 when I can get something with similar specifications at a much cheaper rate?”

–He said.

I agree with him on this. That price is outrageous and unnecessarily expensive for an average Nigerian.

3. HER PATENTS
Some tech-savvy Nigerians hate Apple because of her tendency to patent almost everything. They patented round shaped display of app icons, natural direction of scroll, etc.

However, Apple allows the usage of some of her patented features for a fee but not all. Well, this is simply a good business strategy.

4. THE CLOSED SYSTEM
iPhones are still not as popularly used in Nigeria as some other part of the world. Think Nigeria, think Android and torchlight phones. � Nigerians want to be able to relate to other devices like Android and Microsoft.

A perfect example is the Apple watch. You can’t use it without an iPhone. Another example is when you have a smart TV of any brand other than Apple, you can’t stream from your iPhone to the TV. These set of Nigerians hate iPhones for these reasons.

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by Kvngbarnabee09(m): 1:41pm On Sep 07, 2018
[left][/left]
engkorede:

–Matthew Panzarino

1. INABILITY TO TWEAK

2. THE HIGH PRICE

–He said.

3. HER PATENTS

However, Apple allows the usage of some of her patented features for a fee but not all. Well, this is simply a good business strategy. iPhone 7 32 gb for sale 09098771544

4. THE CLOSED SYSTEM

Re: Iphones: Why Some Nigerians Are Not Fans by bigtt76(f): 2:29pm On Sep 07, 2018
Naaah instead I believe its now they should start the process of subsuming other companies to make even more

henry007:

I guess you're missing the Trillion dollar question that is Apple's net worth.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Browse The Internet Without Sim Card Via SIMO App / Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei Said He Is Busy Fixing Up Huawei To Pick Trump's Call / Gionee Is Officially Back As TENAA Lists The M11 & M11s Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.