Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,062 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ (19808 Views)

NCC To Telecom Operators: All SIMs not linked To NIN Must Be Blocked Today / SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by MayorofLagos(m): 4:17pm On Sep 07, 2018
alfa0:

I don't think so, I have been receiving international calls for many years now. I have not seen any reduction in call rates as a result of this masking rather I pay more now.
As a matter of fact,i have asked my callers from US and none have seen any reduction too.
As regards the topic, I just received an international call about 30 mins ago still same Nigerian number appeared so I called NNC on the above number.
The person that received my call talk like this news never exists.infact she was actually sounding like she wants to defend the operators. As soon as I demanded to know her stand, she said it could be roaming.
So I don't want to believe this news yet.

The old telecom system used a technology called relay-switched connections. This was in the 60s when they used cathode ray tubes and electro-mechanical toggles as signal relays in Teleco Central Office. In the homes people had rotary dial phones back then - see first picture. In the office operators were hired to manage pbx - see second and third picture.

In the 80s and early 90s a new technology called circuit-switched connections came into vogue. Telecos installed switches made from integrated circuits with transistors. See second set pictures, Teleco switch in first. Touch tone phones were in vogue then - second. In office, pbx is smaller, no criss crossed cable, instead of operator they are managed by receptionist - third picture.

By comparison it cost less to make calls on the touch tone than it did on the rotary. Technology brings cost down.

From about middle 90s till now we are on new technology called packet switched communication. All packet switched systems use IP addressing to communicate. Within this we also have wireless and optics (fiber) serving as transport mode...but they all use IP addressing and packet switching to signal and deliver media. In the new technology individuals have extended their home or office phones into their pockets with mobile devices. The devices still use touch tone input (called dtmf), whether its keyboard or touch screen, whether with finger or pen style.

See third set post for a modern pbx and its relationship with other devices.

In comparison calls today are significantly lower than the previous two legacy systems. In the age of time division multiplexing (TDM) you can't make international call everyday and not end up broke by end of week. Back then you place international call and wrap it up very quickly to minimize cost. It is not so today. TDM has been replaced by a new signalling platform called Asterisk and another one called Freeswitch. These are offered under open systems internetworking agreements. You can place international call now, spend an hour on phone, and do it everyday and still have plenty changed left in pocket for weekend.

So when new technologies are deployed, regulators have to study impacts and come up with guidelines to get paid by licensing, levying or taxing. Law enforcement also review for criminal coding to protect society. Then you also have interest groups that will lobby government for power to protect consumers and subscribers...example Consumer Protection Agency. Sonetimes this is a function under regulators.

So in a nutshell, each time technology improve expect rates to drop on your calls. Before i make international call i go online and make screenshot of my mtn balance. After my call i look on my phone and see how long i talked. I return online and check my recharge balance again. They know me at mtn now, they do not mess with my bills and recharge. I became a pain in their neck. I would have told you how much a call "truly" cost per minute of setup and talk time, for both domestic and international but i cant do it without divulging additional secret that in actuality could bankrupt some telecos if made a public knowledge. The info you have here is sufficient for knowledge.

Remember, under packet switching and asterisk signalling you are better off getting your originating number from abroad delivered to you than having it masked by a local number (DID). It costs less! grin

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by MayorofLagos(m): 4:17pm On Sep 07, 2018

That black box with blue label in center is a new age pbx.

Compare with legacy pbx managed by operator in third picture in first set posting above.

The new age pbx is using SD-WAN (software designed - WAN access) connection to do packet routing.

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Strahovski1(m): 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
airsaylongcon:

The foreign caller is the one that gets the savings. That way, Nigerians in the diaspora don't get to spend an arm and a leg calling their loved ones in Nigeria. The federal government was trying to tax them via their calls

In my opinion, it makes no sense masking numbers. I have the right to know who is calling me not random numbers. If I see a missed call and call back, someone else picks the call not the original caller so you see it makes no sense. It once happened in India

You can't favor the callers with cheap rate and inconvenience or discomfort the receiver with masked numbers
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 07, 2018
airsaylongcon:

Without call masking, you mum would be paying considerably more to call you as FG has included a tax on all foreign calls

They are paying more already because prices of calls to Nigeria have been hiked to accommodate fg's new tax regime, but when the calls are terminated/masked as local calls the telecom guys make illegal cost savings which are not passed on to the consumers, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Tokziby: 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2018
GoldHorse:

I can relate with this one o!!! grin grin grin

After a few of these call masking issues one of my wife's auntie thought I was pretending to be abroad and that I probably was hidden somewhere in one Naija village. She went as far as "doing" amebo of her highly classified secret investigative findings to my father in law cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by sulasa07(m): 7:41pm On Sep 07, 2018
ajayiopy:
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE CALLER DECIDED TO HIDE HIS IDENTITY
Use Truecaller,it will expose d persons identity
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by savio93(m): 8:35pm On Sep 07, 2018
airsaylongcon:

Without call masking, you mum would be paying considerably more to call you as FG has included a tax on all foreign calls

But what's the gain of the masking?
Or the readson behind it?
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Seanixking: 7:36am On Sep 08, 2018
A foreign number called me yesterday night and mtn had to masked it to this shit, +37065013274. Unfortunately i missed the call, now i can't call back because of this masking shit. I need to report them.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Digitalwitch: 9:53am On Sep 09, 2018
MayorofLagos:

The old telecom system used a technology called relay-switched connections. This was in the 60s when they used cathode ray tubes and electro-mechanical toggles as signal relays in Teleco Central Office. In the homes people had rotary dial phones back then - see first picture. In the office operators were hired to manage pbx - see second and third picture.

In the 80s and early 90s a new technology called circuit-switched connections came into vogue. Telecos installed switches made from integrated circuits with transistors. See second set pictures, Teleco switch in first. Touch tone phones were in vogue then - second. In office, pbx is smaller, no criss crossed cable, instead of operator they are managed by receptionist - third picture.

By comparison it cost less to make calls on the touch tone than it did on the rotary. Technology brings cost down.

From about middle 90s till now we are on new technology called packet switched communication. All packet switched systems use IP addressing to communicate. Within this we also have wireless and optics (fiber) serving as transport mode...but they all use IP addressing and packet switching to signal and deliver media. In the new technology individuals have extended their home or office phones into their pockets with mobile devices. The devices still use touch tone input (called dtmf), whether its keyboard or touch screen, whether with finger or pen style.

See third set post for a modern pbx and its relationship with other devices.

In comparison calls today are significantly lower than the previous two legacy systems. In the age of time division multiplexing (TDM) you can't make international call everyday and not end up broke by end of week. Back then you place international call and wrap it up very quickly to minimize cost. It is not so today. TDM has been replaced by a new signalling platform called Asterisk and another one called Freeswitch. These are offered under open systems internetworking agreements. You can place international call now, spend an hour on phone, and do it everyday and still have plenty changed left in pocket for weekend.

So when new technologies are deployed, regulators have to study impacts and come up with guidelines to get paid by licensing, levying or taxing. Law enforcement also review for criminal coding to protect society. Then you also have interest groups that will lobby government for power to protect consumers and subscribers...example Consumer Protection Agency. Sonetimes this is a function under regulators.

So in a nutshell, each time technology improve expect rates to drop on your calls. Before i make international call i go online and make screenshot of my mtn balance. After my call i look on my phone and see how long i talked. I return online and check my recharge balance again. They know me at mtn now, they do not mess with my bills and recharge. I became a pain in their nec[b]k. I would have told you how much a call "truly" cost per minute of setup and talk time, for both domestic and international but i cant do it without divulging additional secret that in actuality could bankrupt some telecos if made a public knowledge.[/b] The info you have here is sufficient for knowledge.

Remember, under packet switching and asterisk signalling you are better off getting your originating number from abroad delivered to you than having it masked by a local number (DID). It costs less! grin
Why? Do they know on this forum?
Are these operators making super or abnormal profit?
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Digitalwitch: 10:04am On Sep 09, 2018
What is the benefit of call masking to gsm operators in Nigeria or international operators?
Why the sudden increment of international calls to 50k/sec whereas these operators have bundle package at 15k/sec?
Do you think It worth making international calls when we have alternatives like Skye, bbm,WhatsApp, Facebook, wechat,line Viber e.t.c?
Do you think the bolded lines would reduce revenue for gsm operators?
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 22, 2018
Tokziby:
Foolish people that have used their services to tag people liars.

I can't remember the number of times people have doubted if u still abroad or back home. angry
You just keep explaining urself call after calls. "I'm not back home it's the Nigerian stupid telecoms" all the time. angry

The major reason for this problem was the hike in international termination rates initiated by the NCC in October 2016. Prior to the hike, international termination rates and local call rates for Nigeria were at par so there was no incentive for SIM BOX operators. Today the difference is so high that it creates a market for these SIM Box operators. Most international call operators that use these SIM box operators are simply trying to circumvent the higher rates and get cheap rates for their customers. If you are still having issues explaining to family and friends when you call because it shows a local number, may i suggest you try Otubio. Otubio uses legitimate/direct connections and your Caller ID is always displayed. You also get your first minute free to try it out. You can get the app either at the Apple or Google play stores.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 22, 2018
GoldHorse:

I can relate with this one o!!! grin grin grin

After a few of these call masking issues one of my wife's auntie thought I was pretending to be abroad and that I probably was hidden somewhere in one Naija village. She went as far as "doing" amebo of her highly classified secret investigative findings to my father in law cheesy cheesy cheesy

Try Otubio. Caller ID guaranteed on all calls to Nigeria because we use direct connections and not the sim box operators. Send an email to Otubio support with your Nairaland user ID after signing up and we will hook you up with free credit to test.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Sirnonye: 7:36pm On Jun 13, 2019
[This is Unbelievable, Honestly]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Etisalat's 100mb Code! / FIFA 20 Mod For Android Apk OBB Data with January Transfer, Real Face and Kits / Samsung-Galaxy Note 10.1 Now In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.