Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:45 AM

"Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech (1344 Views)

Peter Obi: "Soludo Is A Betrayer Of The Igbo Nation" - Prof. Osuji / Peter Obi Removal Of Multiple Exchange Rates Excellent Prof Moghalu / Prof. Moghalu To Speak At Nigeria Youth Decide Conference October 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 8:53pm On Sep 09, 2018
IT IS TIME TO BUILD A NATION: MOGHALU NOMINATION ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

Acceptance Speech by Professor Kingsley Moghalu, Young Progressive Party (YPP) Presidential Candidate for the 2019 Elections

At the Special Convention and Presidential Primary of the YPP

Abuja, September 8, 2019

The National Chairman of the Young Progressive Party

All national officers and party delegates,

Members of the YPP,

Ladies and gentlemen

It is my greatest honor and privilege to stand here before you, to accept the nomination of the Young Progressive Party (YPP) for the Office of the President. Since I declared my candidacy for president just over six months ago, and since then, it has been a journey of discovery. Crisscrossing the country as I hold town hall meetings and engaging Nigerians located at different points on the socio-economic strata, I have been listening to the fears, hopes and aspirations of my fellow citizens. It has been an insightful, journey, and I through all this, I hold out hope for this country. Because, everywhere I went, even though people have been disappointed by those who lead us, they still hold out hope for a leadership that will deliver good governance, security, and prosperity. I realized that few had ever engaged directly with those seeking their votes. My direct engagement has been a new experience for them.

It was a new experience for me, too. It was eye opening to interact with the electorate — not at large impersonal rallies, but up close and personal. It has given me a new appreciation for what we all must do if Nigeria is to truly be a country for all.

MY CHOICE OF THE YPP was a very deliberate one. I wanted a party that shared my ideas of politics, a party of the grassroots and not the elite, whose operation marked a departure from the status quo that has led to the continued suffering of the Nigerian people. I was advised by many people to seek the ticket on a bigger platform. To lower my expectations, to think small. It would have been easier to bow down and kiss the rings of the many establishment politicians who have captured our resources and left our people poor.

But, that is not the way I see politics.

There is something more to leadership, something more to building a nation than just waiting for my turn at the table, or at best, being another technocrat whose reform ideas are frustrated by the political leadership. That’s why I decided to seek the office of the presidency.

More than ever before, Nigeria needs to be driven by a vision informed by a worldview that determines everything else. Up until about 40 years ago, China was viewed as a basket case: overpopulated, unproductive and ruined economically by decades of poor policies. Today, they snap their fingers and nearly every single African Head of state shows up in China with their hands out, eager for Chinese largesse. That’s what a country driven by a worldview can achieve.

In accepting the presidential ticket of this vibrant, energetic party, I stand here before you to say that Nigeria is fully capable of achieving greatness at home and abroad in our lifetimes. But this cannot happen with our normal way of doing things.

The Nigerian way is to manage. To ‘manage it like that’. We are constantly under pressure to lower our standards in every area. We say: “At least she tried”, “at least he tried”, “you can see he’s doing his best”. If Nigeria is to attain prosperity, we must learn to stop managing. We must learn to stop making excuses for one bad leader after another because of where they come from or how much money they have or whether we like them personally.

I am here today to announce that in response to the parties of the past, in response to umbrellas that block out the light of hope, and brooms that sweep away truth and replace them with lies, in response to the parties of tired old tricks and tired old systems, I and millions across Nigeria will choose the YPP. I joined the YPP because I believe it can live up to its name of being progressive, that it can be an agent of raising standards across the board for politics and policy, that it can show Nigerians that it is possible to use politics to lift people from poverty, rather than merely corner our commonwealth for personal gain.

In our quest to rewrite the rules of political engagement in Nigeria, we must understand clearly who the enemy is. Right now, our current political class, having fed fat on our resources, are exercising by practicing “jumpology” — jumping back and forth between the visionless APC and PDP. This only tells us one thing: that neither party nor people matter to our politicians. In the end all they care about is what is best for their pockets, or their safety from prosecution for their misdeeds.

It is up to us to make the case that their way does not work anymore, that it has only left us in poverty and insecurity, that it has led to many fleeing this country because they feel there is nothing for them and their children here.

We must confront the mindset that things cannot be better, that we should manage till we get a messiah, a miracle worker who will set everything right.

But here is the thing: there are no political messiahs coming to save us. There are no magic wands. There is you, me and every Nigerian saying with determination that

IT

IS

TIME.

It is time for something new, something bold, something different.

It is time for us to bring the curtain down on an era of waste, corruption, and incompetence that holds Nigeria back from achieving its potential. It is time for us to come together and retire these professional politicians who laugh at us, believing that they will return to power whether we like or not.

2019 is not just an election. We will be setting our destiny. It is a choice between remaining a mere fractious assortment of ethnicities and religions on one hand, or building a real nation on the other. It is a choice between having freedom or remaining in slavery under our recycled and corrupt politicians, between poverty and prosperity for our masses of the poor and the unemployed, and between stability and continuing instability of the Nigerian state.

We must confront this thinking that nothing will change, that the results have already been decided. It is statements like “I like him, oh, but I don’t think he will win because of zoning”, or, “voting for him is like wasting my vote”.

The reality is that Nigerians have gained nothing from the current way of doing things. If Nigerians knew the power they have, it is politicians who will be afraid of them, not the other way around. This is the message we must take to every corner of our nation: It is time to turn the page. It is time for a new political class of patriots, who understand how to create wealth, secure our country, and give every Nigerian, no matter who or where they are now, the opportunity to reach their potential.

Make no mistake, ladies and gentlemen. The road from here to there is a long one. It will take a significant part of our time, and there will be many obstacles on our path. We will make mistakes along the way. In these six months, I have made some of my own. I do not shy away from them. They have been part of my learning experience in politics, and the lessons will help on this journey.

Ultimately, this campaign is not just about me. It is about showing that a new kind of politics, one that puts the voters and their concerns at the center, can win elections in this country. I view the YPP as a vehicle for the aspirations of many who are deliberately shut out by the establishment.

I will also want to ask everyone who is fed up with the current status quo to support this campaign with their money, no matter how small.

I am very grateful for the warm reception I got when I joined the YPP. What we need is to come together and build the party across the 36 states of Nigeria, to spread our message and present a real alternative to our current visionless political class.

In his speech at 1963’s March on Washington, Martin Luther King said:

“We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there “is” such a thing as being too late. This is no time for apathy or complacency. This is a time for vigorous and positive action.”

God bless you, fellow citizens. God bless YPP, and God bless Nigeria.

Kingsley Moghalu

YPP Presidential Candidate

1 Like

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by holocron: 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2018
Vote Kingsley moghalu for president

3 Likes

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by TherWasACountry: 9:35pm On Sep 09, 2018
Unfortunately for you, majority of your electorate don't understand the meaning of the phrase. Their IQ can't yet comprehend the term nationhood. But go and try sha. Maybe there'll be a miracle.

6 Likes

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by dheilaw1(m): 9:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
he will find of difficulty to win 4 local governments in his very own state
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Xander85: 9:42pm On Sep 09, 2018
This man, as much as i like him, is just wasting his time! Unless he's doing all this to get exposure and recognition for the subsequent elections....that's if Nigeria still exists by then!

In Nigeria there are many things that come into consideration before one can be said to have a decent shot at the presidency...sadly being educated, intelligent, focused, visionary and erudite ain't among! shocked

3 Likes

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 11:16pm On Sep 10, 2018
Xander85:
This man, as much as i like him, is just wasting his time! Unless he's doing all this to get exposure and recognition for the subsequent elections....that's if Nigeria still exists by then!

In Nigeria there are many things that come into consideration before one can be said to have a decent shot at the presidency...sadly being educated, intelligent, focused, visionary and erudite ain't among! shocked
My Dear you have said it all. The sad fact is all the current rulers in government have to be imprisoned or excuted and we start from scratch.
Unfortunately, I feel like you, after 2019 elections 9ja will be on a story we can't imagine.

4 Likes

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 11:17pm On Sep 10, 2018
TherWasACountry:
Unfortunately for you, majority of your electorate don't understand the meaning of the phrase. Their IQ can't yet comprehend the term nationhood. But go and try sha. Maybe there'll be a miracle.
A real miracle! A leader is only as good as the people they lead. You know what that means right?
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 11:18pm On Sep 10, 2018
holocron:
Vote Kingsley moghalu for president
I and my family will vote for him!
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2018
dheilaw1:
he will find of difficulty to win 4 local governments in his very own state
Its a lie, I am from his local government.

He talked about people like you

We must confront this thinking that nothing will change, that the results have already been decided. It is statements like “I like him, oh, but I don’t think he will win because of zoning”, or, “voting for him is like wasting my vote

1 Like

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by J2381: 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
My Dear you have said it all. The sad fact is all the current rulers in government have to be imprisoned or excuted and we start from scratch.
Unfortunately, I feel like you, after 2019 elections 9ja will be on a story we can't imagine.
then, the question is who is ready to have that much blood on his/her hands
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 11:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
I love when he said career politicians are our problems in 9ja.

Zombies will vote the same trouble shooters into office over and over again. Even when shown 4 years proof of not being a leader of prosperity and progress, they will dash 4 more to finish us up... smdh.

2019 is not just an election. We will be setting our destiny. It is a choice between remaining a mere fractious assortment of ethnicities and religions on one hand, or building a real nation on the other. It is a choice between having freedom or remaining in slavery under our recycled and corrupt politicians, between poverty and prosperity for our masses of the poor and the unemployed, and between stability and continuing instability of the Nigerian state.
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 11:28pm On Sep 10, 2018
J2381:
then, the question is who is ready to have that much blood on his/her hands
The problem will be that other tribes will be defending themselves against domestic terrorism, how long can herdsman or Boko Harem slaughter people and Nigerians don't fight back?

Blood either way theirs or ours.

Heard of J J Rawlings of Ghana?
The man took them all out in a emergency meeting he and other armed forces. Instead of keep abusing the citizens he over throw the government for two years until they elected a Civilian president with sense.
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by J2381: 11:34pm On Sep 10, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
The problem will be that other tribes will be defending themselves against domestic terrorism, how long can herdsman or Boko Harem slaughter people and Nigerians don't fight back?

Blood either way theirs or ours.

Heard of J J Rawlings?
yea I know what Jerry Rawlings did way back in Ghana. That however was possible because it was a military era. Now however is a very different case entirely. Our military are overfed and too inept to do anything. Beside, even if they did, it'll most likely be termed 'tribal coup' by some individuals. Hope you remember what happened in 1967.

My dear, war isn't something any sane mind should advocate for. It's not pretty and the effects is long lasting.
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 8:50am On Sep 15, 2018
J2381:
yea I know what Jerry Rawlings did way back in Ghana. That however was possible because it was a military era. Now however is a very different case entirely. Our military are overfed and too inept to do anything. Beside, even if they did, it'll most likely be termed 'tribal coup' by some individuals. Hope you remember what happened in 1967.

My dear, war isn't something any sane mind should advocate for. It's not pretty and the effects is long lasting.
No way advocating for war, the point is all the offices have to be purgued. The system it self is broken and has to be rebuilt with new parts not old worn out non-parts that don't work.

War is never the answer, but most cous (especially silent ones have no war involved, just removals. GEJ was coup by USA in silence....
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by J2381: 9:17am On Sep 15, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
No way advocating for war, the point is all the offices have to be purgued. The system it self is broken and has to be rebuilt with new parts not old worn out non-parts that don't work.

War is never the answer, but most cous (especially silent ones have no war involved, just removals. GEJ was coup by USA in silence....
you have evidence to back up this claim?
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by OAFMods: 11:14am On Sep 15, 2018
Can this foolish Igbo with no integrity shut the fucq up
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by donpope1(m): 11:37am On Sep 15, 2018
My candidate come 2019
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 4:42pm On Sep 15, 2018
J2381:
you have evidence to back up this claim?
yes
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by J2381: 5:14pm On Sep 15, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
yes
can you share?
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by gidgiddy: 10:22am On Sep 16, 2018
Xander85:

All true. Moghalu is intelligent and probably is genuinely driven by the desire to change things for the better. Unfortunately, he is yet to realise that there is a segment of Nigeria that does not want any change. Moghalu is yet to come to terms that he along with all Igbos are prisoners. You have to first leave a prison before you start thinking about how to develop your self

1 Like

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by OAFMods: 11:00am On Sep 16, 2018
How does an Igbo man with not integrity build a nation. Is this not the jerk that renegade on the agreement he sworn to upheld after losing the election on live TV ?

Shameless Igbo of no repute.
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by goodnessme1(f): 11:08am On Sep 16, 2018
ibo man talking about building nigeria, we yorubas dont trust you talk more of northerns.

Sai baba till 2023,after him osibanjo.
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 12:36pm On Sep 16, 2018
goodnessme1:
ibo man talking about building nigeria,
we yorubas dont trust you talk more of northerns.

Sai baba till 2023,after him osibanjo.

That is why Nigeria is a big disappointment and disgrace to the African Continent.
#byebuhari 2023
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by resurgent2019: 1:10pm On Sep 16, 2018
The man is a good man but comes from the wrongest part of the country. Sad.
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 3:46pm On Sep 20, 2018
resurgent2019:
what do you mean?
It is not good to be born in Lagos?
Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Ttipsy(f): 4:29pm On Sep 20, 2018
resurgent2019:
and your from the right one ba? sounds foolish

1 Like

Re: "Time To Build A Nation" Prof. Moghalu Speech by Bitterleafsoup: 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2018
Ttipsy:
and your from the right one ba? sounds foolish
can you imagine these are the ones holding us from progress, why?

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Four Finger Solidarity Sign An Act Of Terrorism By Muslim Brotherhood-ffk / Akwa Ibom Lawmaker Calls Gov Udom Weak, Predicts PDP To Lose (see Photos) / See One Of The Reasons Why Germans Are Deporting Nigerians Asylum Seekers(Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.