Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards (1008 Views)

Can A Wifi Only Iphone Be Made To Use Sim / How To Use Sim Cards To Browse On A Laptop Without A Modem / Huawei Devices Will No Longer Use SD Card Slots As U.S. Sanction Continues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by antagonist: 5:22pm On Sep 11, 2018
At least, not the regular SIM cards introduced in the 90's and currently in use worldwide.

That's right, NO SIM CARD TRAY.

Imagine this:

Mr Joshua has to travel from Lagos State where MTN network reception is freely available, to his hometown in rural Udi, Enugu state, where only airtel has a mast, and MTN has no network service at all. Each time he has to travel he has to pack an Airtel SIM card to use in his hometown.

Then one December he does the same, only to discover that the airtel mast had been vandalized and there is no service available, but there's a new Globacom mast and Glo service.

But he has no Glo SIM card, and it's the holidays, so he has nowhere to buy and register the SIM card.

But what if he didn't have to travel with the airtel SIM card?

What if he didn't have to travel with any SIM card at all? What if his phone didn't even have a SIM card slot?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7752211_czf3s3wuyaaliw_jpeg_jpeg0f56907257114a023392f6dc784cfda9

This technology, referred to as the E-SIM, is already available in the newer Google Pixel devices and Apple watches, and Apple plans to incorporate it in the latest iPhones.

It consists of a chip in the phone which enables the user to switch to any network he chooses simply Over The Air(OTA)

Like dialing *123# or *777# to buy or check airtime balance or data on your phone.

This new technology opens the door to a world of possibility:

Cars manufactured with the E-SIM chip from the factory; enabling instant connection, like the old days of car phones

Laptops with the E-SIM chip enabling the user to use data directly, without Wi-Fi or using a modem of any kind

Lost phones would not be so easy to use by the thief because the SIM would be non removable.

The possibilities are truly endless.

Source:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-09-11/apple-aapl-considers-the-death-of-the-iphone-sim-card

Lalasticlala, Dominique and mynd44, what do you think about this technology?
Re: Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by guji12(m): 10:48pm On Sep 11, 2018
It's nice. But what if there's an introduction of a new sim with good packages.. Like d way ntel started.. so I have to get another fone abi Wetin..or

1 Like

Re: Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by bestofibkpumpn(f): 11:42pm On Sep 11, 2018
Abi

What going to happen then
Re: Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by dasphinx1(m): 11:54pm On Sep 11, 2018
guji12:
It's nice. But what if there's an introduction of a new sim with good packages.. Like d way ntel started.. so I have to get another fone abi Wetin..or

Ok, look at it from this perspective, your new phone gives you the chance to register a maximum of 5 networks on it via e-sim. If per chance, you have reached the max amount of e-sims registered on your phone, you can delete one of the e-sims so as to register a new e-sim. I hope my theory makes sense sha?
Re: Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by meobizy(f): 1:03am On Sep 12, 2018
I look forward to this. F-uck regular SIM cards!
At least it'll pave way for cooler phone units and probably larger graphics cards, 8K playable videos on iPhones, baby!
Re: Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by guji12(m): 7:12am On Sep 12, 2018
dasphinx1:

Ok, look at it from this perspective, your new phone gives you the chance to register a maximum of 5 networks on it via e-sim. If per chance, you have reached the max amount of e-sims registered on your phone, you can delete one of the e-sims so as to register a new e-sim. I hope my theory makes sense sha?
I get u sha..

1 Like

Re: Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by lincsnuel: 7:22am On Sep 12, 2018
Wow, cool technology...
Re: Apple iPhones May No Longer Use SIM Cards by mohd001: 8:27am On Sep 12, 2018
wow... this is a remarkable progress.....

(1) (Reply)

Finally, See How To Identify Fake Tecno Phones And Batteries / Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Leaked Specs, Price And Launch Date / Screenshot Of Iphone Battery Usage By Apps In Minutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.