Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga (2892 Views)

Ngige And Tony Muonagor (tony One Week) Steps Down For APGA Candidates! / Chris Ngige Dumps APC For APGA / Policemen Were Thumb Printing For APGA And We Have It All On Tape And More - Ngi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by metalgong5(m): 6:59pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

I can not knock Obi because I don't know much about how he is running his state[b] but I do know that he is not generally considered amongst the best governors in Nigeria. [/b] You are bound to be biased because APGA is Ojukwu's party and we all know of your unflinching support for him.

Since you don't know how Obi is running Anambra state but definitely know that he is not considered amongst the best governors in Nigeria, Please can you tell us those governors that are better than Peter Obi. Also can you name the so called progressives amongst them.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 7:00pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

I don't play tribal politics. Do you think that I am going to defend Obasanjo because he is a Yoruba man. I don't care who rules Nigeria as long as he/she performs. The president of Nigeria may come from the smallest tribe in Nigeria but it wouldn't matter to me as long as he/she can provide good roads, power, education, security, etc. You expect too much from the current political class. All the individuals who went to politics in 1999 are/were the wrong set of people to take Nigeria forward. They were all after theirs and their godfathers interest. Were you expecting thieves like that to have ideologies? To blame Obasanjo for the failings of the political class is naive at best and disingenuous at worst. Obasanjo did not lay the foundations for the political schools of thought in 1999.

I cannot believe that you are honestly trying to exonerate Obasanjo! Shocking indeed! shocked shocked shocked

Obasanjo single handedly (like a military dictator he was undecided) destroyed the most important instrument of democracy -the vote- during his tenure. He raised rigging to a new dangerous level. Before him, rigging elections were usually subtle and mostly unnoticed.
Obasanjo recruited all the scalawags and thieves and thugs into the PDP and made them members of the PDP board of trustees.
Nigeria is a country through which I came to fully believe that there is a God, because frankly, if not for God, Obasanjo would have turned Nigeria into an imperial fiefdom, ruling supreme till death.

No other leader in Nigerian history approached Obasanjo's levels when it comes to machiavellianism.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Katsumoto: 7:05pm On Jul 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

I cannot believe that you are honestly trying to exonerate Obasanjo! Shocking indeed! shocked shocked shocked

Obasanjo single handedly (like a military dictator he was undecided) destroyed the most important instrument of democracy -the vote- during his tenure. He raised rigging to a new dangerous level. Before him, rigging elections were usually subtle and mostly unnoticed.
Obasanjo recruited all the scalawags and thieves and thugs into the PDP and made them members of the PDP board of trustees.
Nigeria is a country through which I came to fully believe that there is a God, because frankly, if not for God, Obasanjo would have turned Nigeria into an imperial fiefdom, ruling supreme till death.

No other leader in Nigerian history approached Obasanjo's levels when it comes to machiavellianism.

Please read my post again; no where did I exonerate Obasanjo. I merely stated that he is not solely responsible. You make it seem like he recruited all the miscreants in the political class. We know that he did not do that.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Katsumoto: 7:08pm On Jul 03, 2010
metal-gong:

Since you don't know how Obi is running Anambra state but definitely know that he is not considered amongst the best governors in Nigeria, Please can you tell us those governors that are better than Peter Obi. Also can you name the so called progressives amongst them.

My comment was based on opinion. There is a thread on nairaland on the best and worst governors. Fashola and Amaechi were constantly mentioned. Chime was also mentioned while Obi was rarely mentioned.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-469933.0.html
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 7:12pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

Please read my post again; no where did I exonerate Obasanjo. I merely stated that he is not solely responsible. You make it seem like he recruited all the miscreants in the political class. We know that he did not do that.

Well, we've always had the miscreants but no leader ever brought them into the mainstream of Nigerian politics.  undecided

Which society can ever boast of not having thieves? Brigandage is as old as man. The difference is that someone who should be putting thieves in jail went and brought them in, using them to create a state of mayhem and fear.

Wasn't it under Obasanjo that sitting governor was kidnapped? And his take was the the governor failed to abide by agreement?

Don't even let me start remembering things.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 7:13pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

My comment was based on opinion. There is a thread on nairaland on the best and worst governors. Fashola and Amaechi were constantly mentioned. Chime was also mentioned while Obi was rarely mentioned.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-469933.0.html

I hope you are not taking nairaland opinion polls too seriously. Majority of folks here are clueless.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Katsumoto: 7:20pm On Jul 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

I hope you are not taking nairaland opinion polls too seriously. Majority of folks here are clueless.

The right to vote belongs to all men, even fools. Even if you consider yourself an intelligent fellow, you are entitled to but one vote.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

How can you say that Obi did not achieve anything? Okay I'll mention his biggest achievement: He defeated PDP and godfatherism in Anambra state.  cool

He is also laying the foundations of good government.
You can say he is a prude, but there is no way anyone in his right sense would say that Obi is a thief or call him the worst governor in Nigeria. He cannot steal or BORROW his way out of our problems. Building honest wealth takes time.
Our most prized possession -our coffers- is safe in his hands.

I cannot say that about his opponents especially those from PDP.

PDP would have sent us and our children into many years of debt.

Anambra will be a rich state soon. After all the foundations are fully laid.

another vague response.

It would have been easier to tell us what steps he has taken to improve education in Anambra save buying a few computers for 1 or 2 schools, what has he done to support Onitsha business men to take their business to the next level? what has he done to improve Government services such as Fire Service except going to cry in an open market when there is an inferno? what are his efforts on job creation?

These benchmarks make more sense than telling us Anambra money is in safe hands. we have no way of knowing that. Telling us he is laying foundation for good governance? what exactly does that mean? Is he re-introducing a new kind of system of Governamce in Anambra? is Anambra changing to parliamentary democracy as opposed to the rest of the country?
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 8:50pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

The right to vote belongs to all men, even fools. Even if you consider yourself an intelligent fellow, you are entitled to but one vote.

We both agree on the bolded quote.

I never said that fools shouldn't vote. I only said that the poll here is not a reflection of Nigerian society per se because most folks here are either elite or outside the country and don't even make honest efforts to find out the truth.

If I want to know whether Peter Obi is a good governor, I would make phone calls to the village. If a governor cannot extend his services to the village, he is a bad governor in my view. cool

Most of the people in the village lack internet access, hence they can't take part in nairaland polls.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 9:15pm On Jul 03, 2010
mikeansy:

another vague response.

It would have been easier to tell us what steps he has taken to improve education in Anambra save buying a few computers for 1 or 2 schools, what has he done to support Onitsha business men to take their business to the next level? what has he done to improve Government services such as Fire Service except going to cry in an open market when there is an inferno? what are his efforts on job creation?

These benchmarks make more sense than telling us Anambra money is in safe hands. we have no way of knowing that. Telling us he is laying foundation for good governance? what exactly does that mean? Is he re-introducing a new kind of system of Governamce in Anambra? is Anambra changing to parliamentary democracy as opposed to the rest of the country?

So you expect me to start listing the number of roads he constructed, or the schools he built and equipped, or the hospitals he equipped or the government secretariat he built? Are you from Anambra state? Who voted Peter Obi in the last elections? I hope you don't buy this nonsense that they voted him ONLY because of Ojukwu? If you believe that, then I know you are not from Anambra state. cool

Have you heard of Anambra Integrated Development Strategy (ANIDS) before?

Peter Obi is not busy building "make me feel good" projects while leaving other sectors of the state unattended.

Doing that would be tantamount to executing a PDP strategy -eat today, die tomorrow, that is PDP!

APGA is implementing ANIDS in Anambra state.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Katsumoto: 9:18pm On Jul 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

We both agree on the bolded quote.

I never said that fools shouldn't vote. I only said that the poll here is not a reflection of Nigerian society per se because most folks here are either elite or outside the country and don't even make honest efforts to find out the truth.

If I want to know whether Peter Obi is a good governor, I would make phone calls to the village. If a governor cannot extend his services to the village, he is a bad governor in my view. cool

Most of the people in the village lack internet access, hence they can't take part in nairaland polls.

I get your point but I disagree on the basis that if we are all elites as you allege, then there shouldn't be so many disagreements on nairaland. Secondly, you don't need to be a citizen of a place to be able to acsertain whether its administrators are good or bad. Even the people from your village will admit that European administrators are better than Nigerian administrators even though some of them have never left the village.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 9:26pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

I get your point but I disagree on the basis that if we are all elites as you allege, then there shouldn't be so many disagreements on nairaland. Secondly, you don't need to be a citizen of a place to be able to acsertain whether its administrators are good or bad. Even the people from your village will admit that European administrators are better than Nigerian administrators even though some of them have never left the village.

I need to qualify the "elite" used here:

You see, that is part of why I don't ever buy this single brush definition of "elite is Nigeria's problems". Nigeria is a nation of MANY nations. The elites might enjoy similar things (eg internet access) but we are all aware of our history.
In fact the term "Nigerian elite" is almost an aberration because while one elite from the North might support quota system (with university education in tow undecided), another elite from the East with a secondary school education might not support it.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2010
[size=16pt]PPA is Kalu ‘s family business – Chukwumerije[/size]

By Ben Umoru
Jul 3, 2010

SENATOR Uche Chukwumerije representing Abia North Senatorial District has dismissed the PPA as nothing but an extention of the business empire of Chief Orji Uzor Kalu. Announcing his resignation from the party, Chukwumerije cited alleged lack of interest in the party.

Chukwumerije said the PPA was a family business where the shareholders are Madam Eunice Uzor Kalu and her children, and all the members of the party are employees. The query given him by the party’s national chairman, Larry Esin, he likened to the “voice of Jacob, hand of Esau”.

His words, “But why the medium of a query? The medium is a perfectly appropriate systemic expression of the organisation of PPA. It reflects the character of the proprietory family structure of PPA. Whatever its exterior postures, PPA is not a political party, a public property. It is a family business in which the sole shareholders are Madam Eunice Uzor Kalu and her children. All the members of the party are employees.

“It is true that the practices of all Nigeria’s political parties fall short of internal democracy in varying degrees. But it is sadly true that PPA stands out both in degree and kind from the rest. The familiar art of godfatherism and selection, in place of election, has been refined in PPA to a routine standard mode of royal hand_pickings.

“The method of royal hand pickings operates through an unwritten patronage network:_ sole control of all key posts, elective or appointive, division of Abia State into zones of pasture among the share holders like the hunting spheres of predators, the pivotal role of an ostensibly cultural body, Reality Organisation (not known to PPA’s constitution or Nigeria’s Electoral Laws and owned by ‘Mother Excellency’) as the sole dispensers of state patronage and, finally, the adroit use of the law to subvert the law via a charade of captive conferences and occasional resurrection of “party organs” to rubber_stamp resolutions of family party Board meetings. It is a network of compliance mechanisms to ensure totalitarian control in Abia.

“Sadly, today’s PPA is at the polar opposite of its original format and intentions. PPA began as a robust protest against President Obasanjo’s kill of internal democracy in PDP. The outstanding courage of the then governor, Chief Orji Uzor Kalu, the concerted energy of the mobilized masses and the glittering vision of a new dawn of popular democracy induced the birth of the party. But in no time PPA quickly malformed into a private estate. The kindest explanation to this sad phenomenon, as is evident from the nationwide turf struggles between incumbent governors and their predecessor godfathers, is the inability of our political leaders to manage either success and succession or fear and trauma of eclipse. But for Abia, any one who wonders about the wizardry behind the success of a half_illiterate corporal Hitler in foisting ruthless Nazism on Germany should study the rise and dominance of PPA in Abia.

“Family political control brings us to the issue of political economy of Abia State. Three control posts – (i) control over key posts, (ii) control over a network of paybacks and tithes, and (iii) control over state business contracts – operate in a triangular relay to frame and define the political economy of underdevelopment of the state. Abia is virtually a sole family business in which its owners retail their franchise to political surrogates.

“It is now obvious that an incurable systemic flaw has brought PPA to a road end. The family proprietory structure, unable to meet the vigorous requirements of internal democracy demanded of a political party, suffers serious self_contradiction and faces prospects of a stunted growth. It cannot meet the basic and mandatory demands of participatory democracy in a third_world country.

“First and foremost, the hand_picking mode of processing political manpower destroys accountability and institutionalizes corruption. The grim harvest is a festering cesspool of professional sycophants, praise singers and political jobbers.

“Equally dehydrating, the deep dichotomy between the political share_holders and employees breeds widespread alienation. The value foundation of our democratic culture is daily undermined by the rumoured plan and determination of Uzor Kalu family to clamp a 25_year_old political dynasty on Abia people – a move bound to be resisted by the gallant freedom lovers of Abia as a provocative insult to their republican spirit.

“Above all, the structure is not hospitable to the prospects of emergence of a wider regional platform that can carry out the immediate task of steering East and South East back unto its rightful place in the federal arrangement and thereby reinforce the stability of Nigeria. It does not require a prophet to see that the imperative of Nigeria’s political stability demands a return to regional accommodation as the military interregnum’s rigid centralized structure of the last four decades increasingly thaws out in response to the dynamics of our plural society”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/07/03/ppa-is-kalu-%E2%80%98s-family-business-chukwumerije/
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 9:45pm On Jul 03, 2010
Above all, the structure is not hospitable to the prospects of emergence of a wider regional platform that can carry out the immediate task of steering East and South East back unto its rightful place in the federal arrangement and thereby reinforce the stability of Nigeria. It does not require a prophet to see that the imperative of Nigeria’s political stability demands a return to regional accommodation as the military interregnum’s rigid centralized structure of the last four decades increasingly thaws out in response to the dynamics of our plural society”.

The above quote caught my attention the most.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 03, 2010
^^^
Things fall apart
watchout for the fall of godfather orji kalu.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 9:55pm On Jul 03, 2010
~Bluetooth:

^^^
Things fall apart
watchout for the fall of godfather orji kalu.

All godfathers in Nigeria MUST FALL for us to move forward. All parties based on godfatherism will inevitable die natural deaths from next year if Jonathan keeps to his promise to organize a free and fair elections. God fathers can't thrive in real democracy.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by 006(m): 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2010
@ Katsumoto

What’s this about ideology, ideology, ideology? What will it help achieve?

As far as I’m concerned, ideology is secondary. I’d rather political parties be free from clear ideologies like liberals and conservatives the US has and be more focused on the things that improve the nation. If you know how stagnant the US has become; they are way behind most developed countries in many areas of development like health care, speed rail etc because of the silly stagnation in the congress.

To me, a political party should be like a club where people of various ideologies converge but with the ultimate goal to better the society.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Katsumoto: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2010
006:

@ Katsumoto

As far as I’m concerned, ideology is secondary. I’d rather political parties to be free from clear ideologies like liberals and conservatives the US has and be more focused on the things that improve the nation. If you know how stagnant the US has become; they are way behind most developed countries in many areas of development like health care, speed rail etc because of the silly stagnation in the congress.

To me, a political party should be like a club where people of various ideologies converge but with the ultimate goal to better the society.

Political ideology is very necessary in any country. Most governments must provide infrastructure, health, education, etc. A 'club' as you put it can never agree on how to provide these necessary services. Can you have a club that includes socialists, communists, anarchists, conservatives, and liberals. It would be chaos and nothing would get done. Apart from Japan, I struggle to think of any other developed country that had one ideological leaning ruling for so long. In most societies, there has to be a balance between the right, centre, and the left. In recent years, the US had 12 yrs of republican(Reagan and Bush), 8 yrs democratic (clinton), 8 yrs republican (bush). In the UK, 18 yrs of Tories, 13 years of Labour.

Without ideology, how do you define taxation systems, level of welfare, etc. So how would you organise a party without a dominant philosophy?
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

All godfathers in Nigeria MUST FALL for us to move forward. All parties based on godfatherism will inevitable die natural deaths from next year if Jonathan keeps to his promise to organize a free and fair elections. God fathers can't thrive in real democracy.
we can only hope jonathan would keep to his words i.e if he doesnt get carried away by deciding to take part in the election and get himself in by force.until a sitting president is voted out of power,that is when i can truely believe that a free and fair election can be held in nigeria.
006:

@ Katsumoto

As far as I’m concerned, ideology is secondary. I’d rather political parties be free from clear ideologies like liberals and conservatives the US has and be more focused on the things that improve the nation. If you know how stagnant the US has become; they are way behind most developed countries in many areas of development like health care, speed rail etc because of the silly stagnation in the congress.

politics is like a competition and you definitely needs some fundamental ideas to operate well.just like any form of government,democratic ideologies are favourable compared to military ideologies and that is why a larger percentage of countries settled for democracy irrespective of both being a system of govt.
different ideologies provide different options to govern properly; and that is the essence of democracy.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by udezue(m): 10:25pm On Jul 03, 2010
Good governance is not just about executing gigantic projects and building structures that we all know after 5 yrs will look ancient due to lack maintenance by the people and the government. Obi doesn't have to waste limited $$$ his state has to compete with Fashola and Amaechi or Chime who might be YES building skyscrapers but are neglecting other important things that can actually sustain the state and provide the environment for long-lasting economic and
infrastructure developments. Providing security, setting foundations, good leadership, improving human rights, etc can do a lot more and far beyond than just cosmetic work that might end up getting trashed by the next governor. Donald Duke's departure and the steady decline of development under his predecessor is a good example. Its 1 thing to build stuff its another thing to maintain and expand it. Chime, Fashola, Amaechi are doing good in their own right but u cannot dismiss Peter Obi either. His performing well in his own way. His achievements doesn't have the mirror that of Fashola. I like long-term stuff not short-term.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by 006(m): 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

Political ideology is very necessary in any country. Most governments must provide infrastructure, health, education, etc. A 'club' as you put it can never agree on how to provide these necessary services. Can you have a club that includes socialists, communists, anarchists, conservatives, and liberals. It would be chaos and nothing would get done. Apart from Japan, I struggle to think of any other developed country that had one ideological leaning ruling for so long. In most societies, there has to be a balance between the right, centre, and the left. In recent years, the US had 12 yrs of republican(Reagan and Bush), 8 yrs democratic (clinton), 8 yrs republican (bush). In the UK, 18 yrs of Tories, 13 years of Labour.

Without ideology, how do you define taxation systems, level of welfare, etc. So how would you organise a party without a dominant philosophy?

I hope you don’t confuse ideology with manifesto.

It’s good you mentioned health care. Tell me what that ideology (liberal and conservative) has helped the US achieve in health care? After a 100 yrs of trial?

Ideology has made America stagnant when political parties vote en masse to block something useful to the masses because it violates their ideology. I mentioned “club” because with several people with different ideology belonging to it, there’s no way you could get them to vote en masse to block a vote because everyone will act/vote differently according to his/her conscience.

This is why I said clear ideologies are not needed in political parties.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 03, 2010
What do you mean by ''gigantic projects''
udezue:

Good governance is not just about executing gigantic projects and building structures that we all know after 5 yrs will look ancient due to lack maintenance by the people and the government. Obi doesn't have to waste limited $$$ his state has to compete with Fashola and Amaechi or Chime who might be YES building skyscrapers but are neglecting other important things that can actually sustain the state and provide the environment for long-lasting economic and
infrastructure developments. Providing security, setting foundations, good leadership, improving human rights, etc can do a lot more and far beyond than just cosmetic work that might end up getting trashed by the next governor. Donald Duke's departure and the steady decline of development under his predecessor is a good example. Its 1 thing to build stuff its another thing to maintain and expand it. Chime, Fashola, Amaechi are doing good in their own right but u cannot dismiss Peter Obi either. His performing well in his own way. His achievements doesn't have the mirror that of Fashola. I like long-term stuff not short-term.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Abagworo(m): 10:46pm On Jul 03, 2010
why do i have this feeling that ibb has a hand in all this?i suspect that kalu might have been planning to be ibb's running mate in 2011 and fell out with his party members.the truth will finally emerge.na sidon dey look i dey.

as for obi his performance is nothing to write home about.the only man is sullivan chime and he is of pdp.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Katsumoto: 10:47pm On Jul 03, 2010
006:

I hope you don’t confuse ideology with manifesto.

It’s good you mentioned health care. Tell me what that ideology (liberal and conservative) has helped the US achieve in health care? After a 100 yrs of trial?

Ideology has made America stagnant when political parties vote en masse to block something useful to the masses because it violates their ideology. I mentioned “club” because with several people with different ideology belonging to it, there’s no way you could get them to vote en masse to block a vote because everyone will act/vote differently according to his/her conscience.

This is why I said clear ideologies are not needed in political parties.

How can I confuse ideology with manifesto? what in my post(s) led you down that alley? There was healthcare in the US before the passage of Obama's bill. It may not have been fair to some but there was something. Ideology made political parties vote en masse for something useful to the masses!!!!!! Are you expecting the right wing to vote for universal healthcare for all? I am not going to get into right wing vs left wing argument here but the fact remains that you are either for or against universal healthcare for all depending on your ideology. So how will a party that comprises liberals, communists, conservatives, socialists, and anarchists pass a health bill?
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by 006(m): 11:05pm On Jul 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

How can I confuse ideology with manifesto? what in my post(s) led you down that alley? There was healthcare in the US before the passage of Obama's bill. It may not have been fair to some but there was something. Ideology made political parties vote en masse for something useful to the masses!!!!!! Are you expecting the right wing to vote for universal healthcare for all? I am not going to get into right wing vs left wing argument here but the fact remains that you are either for or against universal healthcare for all depending on your ideology. So how will a party that comprises liberals, communists, conservatives, socialists, and anarchists pass a health bill?

My view might be unconventional (America remains the model for many) but I’ve followed American politics for a while now and I’ve seen useful votes blocked because of mere ideology.

You asked: how will a party that comprises liberals, communists, conservatives, socialists, and anarchists pass a health bill?
The answer is that when all these people with different ideologies are in a political party, then you can’t get all of them to vote en masse because of ideology or block a bill because of ideology. Parties cannot use ideology as a tool to convince them to vote one way or the other, but rather will use what is right or wrong for the nation to canvass for support for or against. What will happen is that everyone will vote according to what one believes is right.

Now, can all these folks belong to a party? Yes.
I don’t know whether ANC has a clear ideology but I know that most SA blacks belong to it.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by udezue(m): 11:17pm On Jul 03, 2010
Bluetooth, I mean elephant projects like tarring a few choice roads building mega malls and hospitals, etc. Those are good stuff but they don't do anything as far as ridding the system of disease corruption and lack of accountability. Yes u have all the skyscrapers yet the state is corrupt, crime is high, the structures are crumbling already, etc. I believe that any governor should be working on some of these issues that might seem so colorful and noticeable immediately coz once those things are taken care of the rest will come with ease. There will be no real economic progress in these states until issues like steady power supply is solved so they might as well quit wasting borrowing $$ building things they can't keep up with. I have heard stories of people landing @ International airports in Lagos and even Abuja and there is no light. Heat and sweat everywhere. Spend $$ on the most important issue but Nigerians are highly gullible and impressionable so all the governor needs to do is build and tar a few things and he becomes Alpha and Omega. Open ur eyes people.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by udezue(m): 11:26pm On Jul 03, 2010
*might NOT*
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Onlytruth(m): 11:50pm On Jul 03, 2010
udezue:

Bluetooth, I mean elephant projects like tarring a few choice roads building mega malls and hospitals, etc. Those are good stuff but they don't do anything as far as ridding the system of disease corruption and lack of accountability. Yes u have all the skyscrapers yet the state is corrupt, crime is high, the structures are crumbling already, etc. I believe that any governor should be working on some of these issues that might seem so colorful and noticeable immediately coz once those things are taken care of the rest will come with ease. There will be no real economic progress in these states until issues like steady power supply is solved so they might as well quit wasting borrowing $$ building things they can't keep up with. I have heard stories of people landing @ International airports in Lagos and even Abuja and there is no light. Heat and sweat everywhere. Spend $$ on the most important issue but Nigerians are highly gullible and impressionable so all the governor needs to do is build and tar a few things and he becomes Alpha and Omega. Open your eyes people.   

Exactly my point.
Take the pensions payment example, the Obi government spent over N7 billion over time to clear arrears getting back to 1996. He could have used that money to build one or two mega projects in Awka or Ontisha. The problem is that pensioners will NOT get paid. undecided
According to him, it is unconscionable not to pay pensioners who put in years of hard work for Anambra and Nigeria.
Most other Nigerian governors won't even think twice about shoving them aside in place of a BRT or light rail (without electricity undecided).

What Peter Obi is doing in Anambra state is to establish the true yardstick for good governance. If you have not paid your pensioners or all your workers, you have no business building any capital projects. The most important investment is the one made in people.

Anambra's biggest asset is the people. 

I hope other APGA members pursue this line of philosophy because it is superior.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by udezue(m): 2:18am On Jul 04, 2010
Onlytruth, GBAM!!! I'm glad we are the same page. What we need the most in the East and Nigeria at large is a total attitude adjustment. Nigerians love window dressing. How u can u move a state or nation forward when u haven't gone back to fix issues that led the state its current predicament? Like u said he is setting a good example and I believe by the name he is done majority of Anambra ppl will finally realize that they have rights and and no issue should be swept under the rug. I'll rather have Obi than Fashola if these issues such as non-payment of pensions, salaries, aren't addressed. Man I pray that 1 day we ourselves will have the power and ability to carry our state forward. To make Anambra the state that it should be a lot of work will have to be done no matter the inconvenience. I'm glad majority of Anambra are voting with their senses.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by udezue(m): 2:23am On Jul 04, 2010
Ignore "by the name"
I meant "by the time"

I'm making all these typos coz I'm using my cell phone.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by Katsumoto: 8:42am On Jul 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Exactly my point.
Take the pensions payment example, the Obi government spent over N7 billion over time to clear arrears getting back to 1996. He could have used that money to build one or two mega projects in Awka or Ontisha. The problem is that pensioners will NOT get paid. undecided
According to him, it is unconscionable not to pay pensioners who put in years of hard work for Anambra and Nigeria.
Most other Nigerian governors won't even think twice about shoving them aside in place of a BRT or light rail (without electricity undecided).

What Peter Obi is doing in Anambra state is to establish the true yardstick for good governance. If you have not paid your pensioners or all your workers, you have no business building any capital projects. The most important investment is the one made in people.

Anambra's biggest asset is the people. 

I hope other APGA members pursue this line of philosophy because it is superior.

udezue:

Onlytruth, GBAM!!! I'm glad we are the same page. What we need the most in the East and Nigeria at large is a total attitude adjustment. Nigerians love window dressing. How u can u move a state or nation forward when u haven't gone back to fix issues that led the state its current predicament? Like u said he is setting a good example and I believe by the name he is done majority of Anambra ppl will finally realize that they have rights and and no issue should be swept under the rug. I'll rather have Obi than Fashola if these issues such as non-payment of pensions, salaries, aren't addressed. Man I pray that 1 day we ourselves will have the power and ability to carry our state forward. To make Anambra the state that it should be a lot of work will have to be done no matter the inconvenience. I'm glad majority of Anambra are voting with their senses.

I agree that a governor should attempt to address some of the issues that have plagued a state but it shouldn't affect future developments. Also, Udezue, what if other states did/do not have the same issues as Anambra? What if Lagos and Rivers do not have pensions problems? All states do not have the same problems. Past governors in Nigeria have spent funds on projects that was beneficial to them and their cronies. Each state should attempt to address its problems and not attempt to window dress.

The question is, 'do governors only have resources to tackle one or two issues during a four year term'? I ask because Obi can not be judged on pensions alone. Fashola is rated as being the best governor because you can feel his presence in every facet of life in lagos state. Also, building good durable roads is necessary in every state for development. Like I said previously, I don't know much about Obi to knock him but there is a reason why he isn't perceived to be one of the best governors and it has nothing to do with not playing to the gallery.
Re: Cross River Ppa Declares For Apga by metalgong5(m): 10:05am On Jul 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

I agree that a governor should attempt to address some of the issues that have plagued a state but it shouldn't affect future developments. Also, Udezue, what if other states did/do not have the same issues as Anambra? What if Lagos and Rivers do not have pensions problems? All states do not have the same problems. Past governors in Nigeria have spent funds on projects that was beneficial to them and their cronies. Each state should attempt to address its problems and not attempt to window dress.

The question is, 'do governors only have resources to tackle one or two issues during a four year term'? I ask because Obi can not be judged on pensions alone. Fashola is rated as being the best governor because you can feel his presence in every facet of life in lagos state. Also, building good durable roads is necessary in every state for development. Like I said previously, I don't know much about Obi to knock him but there is a reason why he isn't perceived to be one of the best governors and it has nothing to do with not playing to the gallery.

OnlyTruth just used the pension payment example because it was the latest  news about Anambra government he got from Vanguard news. The truth is that governor Peter Obi has surpassed most of his colleagues in terms of multi-sectoral development and also judging by the state's monthly revenue.

If you have been following recent news, you should have noticed that most states, including some oil producing state like Bayelsa, and other South Western states except Lagos are finding it difficult to pay their workers talkless of paying monthly pensions. Some are now burdening their future generations with debts by issuing bonds whereas Anambra government under Governor  Peter Obi is in good financial shape even as he is developing all sectors of Anambra economy.

Fashola seems to be a nice man, but I dont think that he is the best governor. Lagos being the state with the most concentration of multinational companies has to be performing far better than the dummy being sold to us by some quaters of the media. Infact, if he is really a progressive as some people say, then why is he using the court to obstruct the investigation of the  financial allegations levelled against him by the True Face of Lagos. It shows that he wants us to know that he is not accountable to the citizens so long as he has built one modern secondary school in Ajegunle and places the news on the front page of THE NATION.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reps Approve $3.7bn Foreign Loan . / Anti-obasanjo Protest Rocks Abeokuta ! / Real Reason Why Tambuwal Dumps PDP For APC Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.