Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,773 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:23 AM

Say No To Sim Card Registration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To Sim Card Registration (3317 Views)

Mass Age Falsification Going On In The North During Voters Card Registration / My 2015 Voters Card Registration Experience / Govt Should Pay For Sim Card Registration? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Say No To Sim Card Registration by geebeeohh(m): 11:47am On Jul 04, 2010
It was a rude shock to me when i was reading in the newspapers a few days back that part of the procedure for the SIM registration exercise,will include, apart from the normal info, finger printing, FINGER PRINTING, im sorry i think i,ll pass, there is talk of blocking of lines of those who are unwilling to participate, imagine if your phone is found at the scene of a crime or some one uses it in threatening another person. In what language do you intend to explain yourself to the police,our leaders in order to curb anonymous calls made to them, for whatever reason i dont care, have come up with this 'CRAZY' idea.this is a breach of our FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHTS and i must say no,if you are a true Nigeria Speak up and Speak out now, what next after this STATE SANCTIONED PHONE TAPS ON 140 MILLION NIGERIANS, NEVER.i humbly submit. angry angry angry angry
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 04, 2010
If your phone is used in threatening someone then you surely have an explanation to do with the police.

I don't think the idea is bad, all we need now is a more civilized Police that don't beat people up to extract evidence.

I am in support of sim card registration and finger print. Nigeria has no proper identity system, so having a sim card registration withoout finger print defeats the purpose.

If you give police more digital tools to fight crime, may be we can now rely less on torture.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 04, 2010
I dont think nigeria police are ready for the challenges of modern techniques of fighting crimes.all they know best is their daily roger.sim reg is not a bad idea though!!!
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by geebeeohh(m): 12:29pm On Jul 04, 2010
this is Nigeria first and foremost

1. it is a white elephant the money will go to that imaginary place where they all go.

2. it will be employed for a purpose other than that which it was created e.g. advertising, campaigning e.tc.

3. mismanagement,mismanagement, mismanagement.

4. is this what obtains in europe or america?[list]

1 Like

Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 04, 2010
do you want to know how big is my no?\
[size=98pt]

NO![/size]
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by geebeeohh(m): 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2010
Amen to that, brother, Amen!!!
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by james1(m): 1:11pm On Jul 04, 2010
@poster.pls register your sim if you have nothing to hide.
Sim reg is good for overall national security.for instance,have you heared of US search?this american company can get one background checks like court records,present ad et'al.all you have to do,pay the search charge and type a name,if that person is in the US legally,everything about him/her will be loaded on your pc screen.if peeps refuse to go reg their names,how will they have such formidable database?
I have registered my sim.I urge you not to be anti progress.even the so called"big men"can't threaten anyone anymore.
When one enters holland,it is required of you to go to the nearest goverment office to register your presence,if you don't do that,you are on your own.
If the telcom commision gets poor response,they can just wait till you come retrive your lost/misplaced sim.or worse,cause your network OP to systematically block sims batch by batch of those who have not registerd.you want to shout:breach of contract!pls re-read the terms of contract you agreed to before using the sim in the first place.thank you.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by adaphik(f): 1:42pm On Jul 04, 2010
SIM REG is not a bad idea, if properly handled, n if sensible measures r put in place.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Ehoi: 1:48pm On Jul 04, 2010
People, don't be surprise the US high commision knows everything about you when you come to apply for visa. grin
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Acidosis(m): 1:56pm On Jul 04, 2010
I don't think the idea is bad. But there are many questions without reasonable answers e.g
how many centres do we have in the country? No one will ever sacrifice to travel on a long distance just because of one sim card (#100)
What about those with more than one sim card?
What will happen to a misplaced sim?
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by ikeyman00(m): 2:03pm On Jul 04, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

weather una like am or not

it must go on!!! [size=32pt]period[/size]

live ur life; this one na small thing naw!

dora oya over to u
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by violent(m): 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2010
People that scream "Say NO to this and that" should come up with a better, more efficient and cheaper alternative or Shut the fleeping hell up!
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by oderemo(m): 2:12pm On Jul 04, 2010
why on earth we favour ridiculous  and ill thought ideas when ever our clueless politicians decided to shun one out.
even in developed world questions are raised daily on govt. tampering on individual rights and i bet this is the beginning of our govt shipping away our already eroded rights.
Sim card reg. is no.
let get the basic FUNDAMENTAL rights up and running firs. forget what happ. in u.s and u.k . we need to to be able to TRUST the police, various arms of govt. entrusted with our rights first.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 04, 2010
What is really bad about sim registration.what are people scared of ?
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2010
ode remo:

why on earth we favour ridiculous  and ill thought ideas when ever our clueless politicians decided to shun one out.
even in developed world questions are raised daily on govt. tampering on individual rights and i bet this is the beginning of our govt shipping away our already eroded rights.
Sim card reg. is no.
let get the basic FUNDAMENTAL rights up and running firs. forget what happ. in u.s and u.k . we need to to be able to TRUST the police, various arms of govt. entrusted with our rights first.

eroding liberty ke!!!!, nothing can be more out of touch with reality. Do you know what police do when they arive at a crime scene investigation? They arrest anybody within proximity and beat them up very well in other to extract sometimes made up confessions. That is the liberty you are campaigning sustain when you oppose a scheme like this.

We need to give police alternative tools to work with.

torture is outdated and if a database can help crack crime instead of battering our fellow countrymen in the name of suspects, then that will be a big leap.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by oderemo(m): 3:53pm On Jul 04, 2010
@oga mikeansy,
i like history a lot, so lets rewind for a min.
can you answ. these question,
do you TRUST the crop of nigerian police we have at the moment with your data?
how will these same data be protected?
another cucial thing is who will safe guard the data against fraudulent activities i.e in case the u.s or other country wants to know the movement of MR.A.OR B,
another what stop them from selling these data when collated to the highest bidder, dont tell me there are no org, ready to buy out there.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 04, 2010
ode remo:

@oga mikeansy,
i like history a lot, so lets rewind for a min.
can you answ. these question,
do you TRUST the crop of nigerian police we have at the moment with your data?
how will these same data be protected?
another cucial thing is who will safe guard the data against fraudulent activities i.e in case the u.s or other country wants to know the movement of MR.A.OR B,
another what stop them from selling these data when collated to the highest bidder, dont tell me there are no org, ready to buy out there.
it is one thing to initiate a good process and another thing to manage it.the sim reg initiative to me is ideal and i dont think it would/should be managed by the police.
why would any one be worried when most of the information they required is akin to those supplied for nigeria passport,drivers' license and the national identity card.with the right expertise,the database would work well in fighting crime.A seperate security body could be created for the purpose of the program that would take care of the investigative crime area if the police cant be trusted.all the same,the idea is not a bad one.it's working fine in other places,so lets give it a try.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by proudly9ja(m): 4:29pm On Jul 04, 2010
I think it is a good idea in an IDEAL society. Is ours ideal yet?

Has anyone registered? Can you please let us know what information you are asked to supply apart from your fingerprints?
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by lyfe(m): 5:35pm On Jul 04, 2010
Nothing but a sheer waste of time.
Whatsup with
National Id project---I have not seen mine till date.
Voters Card-----Didn't see our names on election where we registered.
Crash helmets and other various ultimatum.
I am an optimist, but this won't be a success because I'm yet to see any project like this end up being successful. How are we sure that our details won't be sold out to telemarketers, and end up on the hard disk of scammers and other bidders. It should not take more than knowledgeable people like us to figure out that this scheme is solely rolled out to benefit only the riches whose families are susceptible to being kidnapped.

As for me I don't have their time let them block whatever they want to.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 04, 2010
lyfe:

Nothing but a sheer waste of time.
Whatsup with
National Id project---I have not seen mine till date.
Voters Card-----Didn't see our names on election where we registered.
Crash helmets and other various ultimatum.
I am an optimist, but this won't be a success because I'm yet to see any project like this end up being successful. How are we sure that our details won't be sold out to telemarketers, and end up on the hard disk of scammers and other bidders. It should not take more than knowledgeable people like us to figure out that this scheme is solely rolled out to benefit only the riches whose families are susceptible to being kidnapped.

As for me I don't have their time let them block whatever they want to.
dont tell me you dont have a national id card ? You are only being pessimistic.critical datas were obtained during the national id card and to date,i've never heard of anybody complained of stolen identity or information.we really need a change of attitude in this country.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by lyfe(m): 6:25pm On Jul 04, 2010
Not only me, the whole of my local government didn't see the their national Id cards till date. I was not even 18 then.
We sure need a change of attitude not from down but from top to bottom.
I can count up to 20 people close to me without national Id, driver's license, Int'l passport and have close to 3 working Sim cards.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 04, 2010
lyfe:

Not only me, the whole of my local government didn't see the their national Id cards till date. I was not even 18 then.
We sure need a change of attitude not from down but from top to bottom.
I can count up to 20 people close to me without national Id, driver's license, Int'l passport and have close to 3 working Sim cards.
how can you have national id card when you were not even 18 years as at the period of registration.what does sim cards got to do with drivers' license and others.i only related it on the basis that since the information obtained from them didnt leak,how could you deduce that information from sim registration would leak
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by james1(m): 7:00pm On Jul 04, 2010
@acidiosis.
Lost sims will be replaced upon presenting yourself at the nearest office/shop of their network OP.
There is no law to how many sim that one person can have.
Register all your sims.
As for distance for registration;these network OPs have shops/offices/dealers everywhere.it is only matter of time.
For those who have not registered,this is how it works:you will be asked what you do,where you live,your thumbprint and your photograph taken.that will be all.
So run along and don't be found wanting.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Gayigaskia(m): 7:04pm On Jul 04, 2010
This is not a new development in West Africa, i don't know why it didn't start in Nigeria. Even Niger Republic has long ago done so, it is certainly a good move for fighting many crimes.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by infobut(m): 9:42pm On Jul 04, 2010
[size=16pt]A capital NO. First of all this solves no crime problem because we have CDMA phones that don't use sim cards as well as land line. And what stops robbers and kidnappers from using internet call to threaten people. This is just another tool the government wants to use to oppress the less privileged. Are you telling me IBB will register his sim card or OBJ . Please spare me the Hula boo that MTN or GLO or ZAIN or Etibaba will block their line. BULLOCKS. angry angry angry angry angry angry[/size]
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by bkbabe99: 9:55pm On Jul 04, 2010
How the hell would u voluntarily give up your fingerprinnt when u are not a criminal?!?! If they really want to battle the crime of kidnapping thru phone, fingerprint is unnecessary, all they need to do is learn the art of "TRIANGULATION"and they'll easily apprehend this crooks. Giving up your fingerprint for an exercise such as this is a Violation of your Right to Privacy!
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Abagworo(m): 11:19pm On Jul 04, 2010
in the bible something was said about numbers controlling peoples life and refusal to have them keeps you isolated and maltreated.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by jamace(m): 5:17am On Jul 05, 2010
Why is our goverment dodgng the truth? The enemy they are looking for is within them.

Those who steal billions from government coffers and nothing happens to them. The ones who built one single toilet for N10 million and the toilet is invisible sef. What of our leader who bought a single torchlight for 70k and a single TV for N500k? Even the FG wants to celebrate Nigeria's Independence with N10b in a country where the citizens are not independent. Is this not madness and calls for more kidnapping?

To tell the truth, the govt is wasting its time on a non-issue like registration of SIM Cards. Kidnapping can not be checked when the real thieves are celebrated, throwing their agbada from shoulder to shoulder in acknowledgement. Whether, the SIMs are registered or not, kidnappings would go on if the govt does not check itself and its thieving members.

The govt should remeber the saying " If the hunter has learnt how to shoot without missing, Aneke the bird will learn how to fly without perching".

Govt! Check yourself first!
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by lyfe(m): 7:03am On Jul 05, 2010
jamace:

Why is our goverment dodgng the truth? The enemy they are looking for is within them.

Those who steal billions from government coffers and nothing happens to them. The ones who built one single toilet for N10 million and the toilet is invisible sef. What of our leader who bought a single torchlight for 70k and a single TV for N500k? Even the FG wants to celebrate Nigeria's Independence with N10b in a country where the citizens are not independent. Is this not madness and calls for more kidnapping?

To tell the truth, the govt is wasting its time on a non-issue like registration of SIM Cards. Kidnapping can not be checked when the real thieves are celebrated, throwing their agbada from shoulder to shoulder in acknowledgement. Whether, the SIMs are registered or not, kidnappings would go on if the govt does not check itself and its thieving members.

The govt should remeber the saying " If the hunter has learnt how to shoot without missing, Aneke the bird will learn how to fly without perching".

Govt! Check yourself first!

So What are we saying.

~Bluetooth:

how can you have national id card when you were not even 18 years as at the period of registration.what does sim cards got to do with drivers' license and others.i only related it on the basis that since the information obtained from them didnt leak,how could you deduce that information from sim registration would leak

I was going to clock 18 that year,so i did the registration. Nobody stopped me.
You need any of these means of identification to register the sim if you don't get it.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by fyneguy: 7:49am On Jul 05, 2010
The sim registration policy is a waste of time and resources.

If a payphone is used in making criminal calls, will they arrest the payphone operator?
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by oderemo(m): 8:14am On Jul 05, 2010
i will register all my Sims and willingly give my fingerprint and oda rights i have when i see the basics fundamentals working in my country.
i Will tell u this will stop no crime at all.
London has over 35,000 cameras in every nook and cranny, still hardly can anyone recognise a mugger captured by these cameras.
every wk stabbing and still camera can pick anyone out.
last election in anambra or so , inec woefully display inadequate voters register.
Re: Say No To Sim Card Registration by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 05, 2010
lyfe:

So What are we saying.

I was going to clock 18 that year,so i did the registration. Nobody stopped me.
You need any of these means of identification to register the sim if you don't get it.
i havent done mine to know any of the existing national identification system that would be demanded.dont think if you are not sure provided you've done yours and such was demanded from you.
in any case,such demand would kill the objective of the initiative if those without those means of identification could not be registered.
fyneguy:

The sim registration policy is a waste of time and resources.

If a payphone is used in making criminal calls, will they arrest the payphone operator?
since such phone would be registered to vendor,i guess such person would be liable to any crime connected to the phone.

(1) (2) (Reply)

REVEALED: Emir Of Kano Is Allegedly Suicidal And Battling Clinical Depression / Governor Okorocha Declares Interest To Run For President / Evans Can Still Beat Kidnapping Charges In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.