Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? (7770 Views)

Can I Learn Programming Without A Computer ? / Can You Learn Programming Without A Computer ? / Programming Without Stress: The Easiest Way To Learn Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by dgee1(m): 3:31pm On Jun 22, 2019
The thing is that I really want to learn but I get bored, discouraged, tired and sleepy every time I try. My thought is that I need to find means to make learning it more enjoyable and real, maybe by being around those who are good in it already or get a project to work on, but I don't know how to even start a project.

I have studied and learnt some complex stuff before in chemistry, so I am confident I would be able to handle this once I get a hang of it. I have learnt to a good extent both HTML and CSS, and now trying my mind on JavaScript, but generally my learning have been On&Off kind of. I have been on it since around October last year but its been haphazard and inconsistent.

asalimpo:

my time is scarce but what is d issue? Is d language too hard or u falling asleep while learning or is it too boring? What language/tech are u learning nd how long hav u been learning it?
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by asalimpo(m): 5:39pm On Jun 22, 2019
dgee1:
The thing is that I really want to learn but I get bored, discouraged, tired and sleepy every time I try. My thought is that I need to find means to make learning it more enjoyable and real, maybe by being around those who are good in it already or get a project to work on, but I don't know how to even start a project.

I have studied and learnt some complex stuff before in chemistry, so I am confident I would be able to handle this once I get a hang of it. I have learnt to a good extent both HTML and CSS, and now trying my mind on JavaScript, but generally my learning have been On&Off kind of. I have been on it since around October last year but its been haphazard and inconsistent.
you hav a problem of motivation. It can b hard to muster the drive to do something like this all alone for extended periods.
You dont need complex math skills to understand how to program,the math skills come in when u r working in a mathematical domain,in other words, the degree of math knowledge required is domain specific. You dont need to worry about math at all at d onset, when u r mature,u will know if/when to acquire more math knowledge.
If u know secondary school math, basic algebra,u r good to go.

In my opinion, dont worry about strtng a project. Just get a language into ur bloodstream. Hook urself up to one and let d concepts drip into u.
This stage is the hardest part because our minds resent unfamiliarity. So time is the only ally u have. Keep ingesting d concepts. Dont look at the passage of time. Keep ingesting. After some time some syntax will begin to seem familiar. You will also begin to hav an itch to solve a little problm tht bothers u. It could b to write a calculator, to copy files etc. When that itch arises, work on it. Complete it . If u havnt completed a small projct u strted, u wont b able to complete a larger one! Motivation is a major issue here.

Lastly, to accelerate ur learning, u need to b under some1 who has been there and has a track record of completing projects. The reason for this is tht,the person will save u time-years infact. The downside to this is tht u will learn his bad traits too.
The other option, is to teach urself. The pro is,as ur skillset grows,so will ur confidence. 2) u will learn how to teach urself things-a meta skill. 3) u r not limited by any structure a teacher couldav imposed. U could explore any topic to ur heart's delight.
The cons are: time- self learning is terribly time consuming. 2) more expensive: the cost doesnt look obvious but,u'll make lots of mistakes which would consume resources- data (internet), books, etc
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by dgee1(m): 6:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
Hmmmm..Thanks so much for your words. Very thoughtful and helpful. God bless

asalimpo:

you hav a problem of motivation. It can b hard to muster the drive to do something like this all alone for extended periods.
You dont need complex math skills to understand how to program,the math skills come in when u r working in a mathematical domain,in other words, the degree of math knowledge required is domain specific. You dont need to worry about math at all at d onset, when u r mature,u will know if/when to acquire more math knowledge.
If u know secondary school math, basic algebra,u r good to go.

In my opinion, dont worry about strtng a project. Just get a language into ur bloodstream. Hook urself up to one and let d concepts drip into u.
This stage is the hardest part because our minds resent unfamiliarity. So time is the only ally u have. Keep ingesting d concepts. Dont look at the passage of time. Keep ingesting. After some time some syntax will begin to seem familiar. You will also begin to hav an itch to solve a little problm tht bothers u. It could b to write a calculator, to copy files etc. When that itch arises, work on it. Complete it . If u havnt completed a small projct u strted, u wont b able to complete a larger one! Motivation is a major issue here.

Lastly, to accelerate ur learning, u need to b under some1 who has been there and has a track record of completing projects. The reason for this is tht,the person will save u time-years infact. The downside to this is tht u will learn his bad traits too.
The other option, is to teach urself. The pro is,as ur skillset grows,so will ur confidence. 2) u will learn how to teach urself things-a meta skill. 3) u r not limited by any structure a teacher couldav imposed. U could explore any topic to ur heart's delight.
The cons are: time- self learning is terribly time consuming. 2) more expensive: the cost doesnt look obvious but,u'll make lots of mistakes which would consume resources- data (internet), books, etc
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by asalimpo(m): 8:31pm On Jun 22, 2019
dgee1:
Hmmmm..Thanks so much for your words. Very thoughtful and helpful. God bless
you welcome.
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by OutOfTheAshes(m): 8:17pm On Jun 23, 2019
My man no kill ya sef. Sleep well first, then start coding.
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by sparkle7: 11:06am On Jun 24, 2019
AdolphBrian:

you're right! No one is born with the passion to program; you have to develop it
people are born with passion for a thing bro.
Messi is great footballer because he has passion for football.
If he was forced to play cricket i bet my grand ma would whoop his ass.
Noticed that you dont excel much in whatever that does not interest you.
My own seems to be chemistry, no matter how many books i read, how many videos i watch, how many professuer that teach, I still dont get.
Even looking at the long equations piss me off.
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by Daejoyoung: 7:03pm On Jun 24, 2019
sparkle7:

My own seems to be chemistry, no matter how many books i read, how many videos i watch, how many professuer that teach, I still dont get.
Well l believe passion is not something you have, but rather something you do. l think Humans are not programmed robots with a passion they are born with to fufill. l believe the passion comes from the training of your mind to do the particular task before you, whatever that may be. lt's all about the mind, l believe.

1 Like

Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by asalimpo(m): 12:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
sparkle7:

i hav some problem with this view. I think while people hav certain inborn gifts nd talents,the talents arent ,in most cases, for specific fields. E.g if u find chemistry utterly repulsive, have u tried to study it for a looong time inspite of d repulsion then measure your proficiency afterwards? Say,u decide to grok chemistry for 1000 hours, or 2000 hrs, how would u compare? Say messi didnt play soccer but got into a field that requires d same skillset a bit- quick thinking, big picture perspective, agility, improvisation. Mayb he would equally excel there.
E.g being a ceo, military strategist, chess player,monopoly player, enterpreneur.
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by 4dor: 3:02pm On Jun 29, 2019
iamharkinwaley:

Hi Good Morning, I sent you a PM Sir.

Hi, I'm sorry I can't access my PM at the moment.
Re: Please how Do I Learn Programming Without Feeling Sleepy Or Tired? by iamharkinwaley: 3:43pm On Jun 29, 2019
4dor:

Hi, I'm sorry I can't access my PM at the moment.

Hi can you reach me via mail, akinwaletaiwo15@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Developers Celebrate Wordpress 15th Anniversary / Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! / Embed And Play Youtube Video In Android Webview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.