Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,425 members, 7,954,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:14 AM

Is The Soul Immortal ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Soul Immortal ? (4669 Views)

What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / Does An Immortal Entity Needs Everlasting Life ? / Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Hakeem12(m): 10:14am On Sep 25, 2018
Well I think this question can never be answered really. There is a field of science called noetic science. And experiments have been carried out in this field to observe how thoughts can affect matter. This field postulates that thoughts can be weighed, hence has mass.

A certain man was about to die, and he offered up his body for research in this field. He was placed in sealed capsule, in which even a normal can't last longer than six minutes. This capsule makes use of high precision microbalance down to a few micrograms. The man was placed in this capsule while he drew his last breathe. Before his death, his weight was taken, however, just a few moments after his death, his weight decreased considerably on the readings of the microbalance. The conclusion was that a soul escaped his body.
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Emusan(m): 10:50am On Sep 25, 2018
Jozzy4:
You are so ignorant . Study how God made Adam and know what Soul means , Adam himself is a Clay , he became a living soul when the breath of life activates him . he wasn't a living Soul until breath of life activates his body.

So open your senses .

There is distinction , study Adam .

So I put it to you,
What is Soul?
What is Body?

Shebi Gehenna is Hell ? grin

Answer me : Do you agree BODY go to hell ? Matt 10:28 KJB

This answer your question:
Gehenna [N] [B] [S]
(originally Ge bene Hinnom; i.e., "the valley of the sons of Hinnom"wink, a deep, narrow glen to the south of Jerusalem, where the idolatrous Jews offered their children in sacrifice to Molech ( 2 Chronicles 28:3 ; 33:6 ; Jeremiah 7:31 ;
19:2-6 ). This valley afterwards became the common receptacle for all the refuse of the city. Here the dead bodies of animals and of criminals, and all kinds of filth, were cast and consumed by fire kept always burning. It thus in process of time became the image of the place of everlasting destruction.

In this sense it is used by our Lord in Matthew 5:22 Matthew 5:29 Matthew 5:30 ; 10:28 ; 18:9 ; Matthew 23:15 Matthew 23:33 ; Mark 9:43 Mark 9:45
Mark 9:47 ; Luke 12:5 . In these passages, and also in James 3:6 , the word is uniformly rendered "hell," the Revised Version placing "Gehenna" in the margin. (See HELL; HINNOM .)

grin grin cc : alBHAGDADI,,

grin grin You rush to luke , No one overlooks anything . the question is : What happen to those thrown into Gehenna ? They burn forever, in Jesus day is it a place of conscious torment ?

Besides, Gehenna is Hell last I checked, why you favouring Gehenna now. grin

Do bodies Go to hell ? matt 10;28

The wicked will be RESURRECTED and then destroy by God in everlasting fire.

Why are you guys always overlook the content of discussion rather playing hide and seek nonsense?

The content of both Matt 10:28 & Luke 12:5 is talking about man's limited power to put another man out of EXISTENCE but it's God alone who can do that...which is clearly spelled out with different word "KILL and DESTROY"
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 25, 2018
Hakeem12:
Well I think this question can never be answered really. There is a field of science called noetic science. And experiments have been carried out in this field to observe how thoughts can affect matter. This field postulates that thoughts can be weighed, hence has mass.

A certain man was about to die, and he offered up his body for research in this field. He was placed in sealed capsule, in which even a normal can't last longer than six minutes. This capsule makes use of high precision microbalance down to a few micrograms. The man was placed in this capsule while he drew his last breathe. Before his death, his weight was taken, however, just a few moments after his death, his weight decreased considerably on the readings of the microbalance. The conclusion was that a soul escaped his body.

Bro, please, do you have more materials on this subject and research? I want to explore it sir. Thanks!
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Anas09: 12:12pm On Sep 25, 2018
OneJ:

U are a soul, the total package. Made of dust & the breath of life,or life force (spirit). Gen 2:7.

The soul is not something that resides in U, but U,yourself.
So i am essentially a soul enforced or empowered by spirit?

Do i have a spirit in me?
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 25, 2018
Anyway, my own opinion can be summarized below:

1. It is 100% fact we have a body.
2. It is more likely something(s) live(s) in the body.
3. There is no way to clearly say the soul or the spirit are the same, or different.
4. Soul/spirit, or Soul and Spirit, is(are) imaginary.
5. Your faith makes you who you are. And it sets you free. Bible lays more emphasy on things unseen (imaginary).
6. Science has not yet advanced to the level of using physical to prove imaginary.
7. As long as it is imaginary, it is based on self conviction, and experience.
8. You must experience it. And only people who have experienced it you can relate with it.
9. Therefore, it is a waste of time to debate soul and spirit.
10. My recommendation is that if you want to experience it, release yourself, and see if you can separate your body from your soul/spirit, or soul and spirit.

Heb 4.12:
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

To learn about this subject, and have clues on how to launch into it in the christian way, pick up "How to be led by the Spirit of God - Kenneth Hagin. If you need this book, shoot me email and it will be yours freely.

There is no sense in debating imaginary things. To me, it is stupid and senseless. How can you understand imaginary from what you can see, feel or touch.

If you do not want to go through the christian route, you can go through yoga, budahism, and many other fraternities. Also, there are Marmmons, Eckankar, and other groups route.

And if you pass through some of the routes and you get nothing, then, you can be convinced within yourself that when you die, that is the end.

Becareful which route you choose. It is clear that it is ONLY one route that leads to life. Others lead to death. Look before you leap.

Well, I recommend the christian route. And it is the reason I will be glad to share the material I have mentioned above. In addition, I can send you links of whatsapp and telegram groups to get free ebook on christian materials, and subjects like this.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Martinez19(m): 12:22pm On Sep 25, 2018
Why is it troubling for humans to accept that they are mortal in every sense of the word? grin
Why are people afraid to death? Una wan stay here forever?

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Hakeem12(m): 3:12pm On Sep 25, 2018
hakmah:

Bro, please, do you have more materials on this subject and research? I want to explore it sir. Thanks!
oh I'm sorry, I don't. I read it a long time ago in some science journal. I don't even remember the site's address
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Jozzy4: 3:23pm On Sep 25, 2018
Emusan:

So I put it to you,
What is Soul?

Soul is a person or creature

Living Soul = Body + Breath of life .

What is Body

That which combines with the breath of life to become a Soul Gen 2:7

Gehenna [N] [B] [S]
(originally Ge bene Hinnom; i.e., "the valley of the sons of Hinnom"wink, a deep, narrow glen to the south of Jerusalem, where the idolatrous Jews offered their children in sacrifice to Molech ( 2 Chronicles 28:3 ; 33:6 ; Jeremiah 7:31 ;
19:2-6 ). This valley afterwards became the common receptacle for all the refuse of the city. Here the dead bodies of animals and of criminals, and all kinds of filth, were cast and consumed by fire kept always burning. It thus in process of time became the image of the place of everlasting destruction.

In this sense it is used by our Lord in Matthew 5:22 Matthew 5:29 Matthew 5:30 ; 10:28 ; 18:9 ; Matthew 23:15 Matthew 23:33 ; Mark 9:43 Mark 9:45
Mark 9:47 ; Luke 12:5 . In these passages, and also in James 3:6 , the word is uniformly rendered "hell," the Revised Version placing "Gehenna" in the margin. (See HELL; HINNOM .)

Gehenna is valley of hinnom , Not some imaginary place.

the maginary place called Hell, does Body go there ? That's the question!!!

Why are you guys always overlook the content of discussion rather playing hide and seek nonsense?

The content of both Matt 10:28 & Luke 12:5 is talking about man's limited power to put another man out of EXISTENCE but it's God alone who can do that...which is clearly spelled out with different word "KILL and DESTROY"

grin grin Lolzzzzzzzz, u must be kidding

Before the wicked are Ressurected, where are they ? That will expose that silly logic

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 25, 2018
Anas09:

So i am essentially a soul enforced or empowered by spirit?

Do i have a spirit in me?
You have the same spirit just as a fly does. Ecclesiastes 3:19,20

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Emusan(m): 8:53pm On Sep 25, 2018
Jozzy4:
Soul is a person or creature
Living Soul = Body + Breath of life .
That which combines with the breath of life to become a Soul Gen 2:7

What is that THING THAT COMBINED with breath of life?

Is already established by you that BODY + Breath of life = Living soul.

You want to be smart but don't know you're very dull

Gehenna is valley of hinnom , Not some imaginary place.

the maginary place called Hell, does Body go there ? That's the question!!!

I can see your ignorance, even the highlighted part exposes it the more.

The article says "This valley afterwards became the common receptacle for all the refuse of the city.
Here the dead bodies of animals and of criminals,
and all kinds of filth, were cast and consumed by fire kept always burning. It thus in process of time became the image of the place of everlasting destruction.

The BODY after resurrection will be destroyed forever in Gehenna (hell)

grin grin Lolzzzzzzzz, u must be kidding

Before the wicked are Ressurected, where are they ? That will expose that silly logic

"In the King James Version and the Revised Version (British and American) Gehenna is rendered by "hell" (see ESCHATOLOGY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT). That "the valley of Hinnom" became the technical designation for the place of final punishment was due to two causes. In the first place the valley had been the seat of the idolatrous worship of Molech, to whom children were immolated by fire ( 2 Chronicles 28:3 ; 33:6 ). Secondly, on account of these practices the place was defiled by King Josiah ( 2 Kings 23:10 ), and became in consequence associated in prophecy with the judgment to be visited upon the people ( Jeremiah 7:32 )."
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Godssword1(m): 9:05pm On Sep 25, 2018
Get thousands of free Christian Ebooks in our Telegram group. Join here: https:///ibloggospel
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Peacefullove: 4:42pm On Sep 26, 2018
Emusan:

There is a very sensible question you evade regarding this.

Where are the Wicked before the Ressurection you talked about ??

Respond to this area . vital
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Emusan(m): 4:57pm On Sep 26, 2018
Peacefullove:

There is a very sensible question you evade regarding this.

Where are the Wicked before the Ressurection you talked about ??

Respond to this area . vital

Then go back to my previous post I replied to this question, stop paying attention to your brothers post alone. Read everyone post with open mind...then draw your conclusion. That's how a seeker of the truth does.
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Jozzy4: 5:19pm On Sep 26, 2018
Emusan:

What is that THING THAT COMBINED with breath of life?

Is already established by you that BODY + Breath of life = Living soul.

You want to be smart but don't know you're very dull

I can see your ignorance, even the highlighted part exposes it the more.

The article says [b]"This valley afterwards became the common receptacle for all the refuse of the city.
Here the dead bodies of animals and of criminals,
and all kinds of filth, were cast and consumed by fire kept always burning. It thus in process of time became the image of the place of everlasting destruction.

Image of the PLACE of . where is that place ?

Are the wicked there presently body and soul ?

The BODY after resurrection will be destroyed forever in Gehenna (hell)

Confused man

Not literal Gehenna right ?

Before ressurection, where are the wicked ?

"In the King James Version and the Revised Version (British and American) Gehenna is rendered by "hell" (see ESCHATOLOGY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT). That "the valley of Hinnom" became the technical designation for the place of final punishment was due to two causes. In the first place the valley had been the seat of the idolatrous worship of Molech, to whom children were immolated by fire ( 2 Chronicles 28:3 ; 33:6 ). Secondly, on account of these practices the place was defiled by King Josiah ( 2 Kings 23:10 ), and became in consequence associated in prophecy with the judgment to be visited upon the people ( Jeremiah 7:32 )."

Where is that place Gehenna represent which is universally accepted as hellfire .

Where are the wicked presently , are they there ?
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Jozzy4: 5:19pm On Sep 26, 2018
Emusan:

Then go back to my previous post I replied to this question, stop paying attention to your brothers post alone. Read everyone post with open mind...then draw your conclusion. That's how a seeker of the truth does.

You didn't reply anything . grin
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Peacefullove: 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2018
Emusan:

I don't have any brother here Sir. The question caught my attention so I request for an answer

I read that response, But you are only giving the meaning of Gehenna as valley of hinnom, Hardly will any Christian hear hellfire as spread in Xtianity and think of ancient valley of hinnom , the picture of a totally different place comes to their mind .

No pastor will tell you that when wicked people die they are found in valley of hinnom, another thing entirely is pictured .

as for this place to which my question is focusing and which you also in your exegesis admit gehenna is just an image of that place , are the wicked there presently in that place gehenna images ?

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Peacefullove: 5:56pm On Sep 26, 2018
Jozzy4:

You didn't reply anything . grin

He did reply , but hide the key concept of hell
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Anas09: 10:45pm On Sep 29, 2018
TATIME:
You have the same spirit just as a fly does. Ecclesiastes 3:19,20
Really? Why can't a fly talk then?
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by OneJ: 11:04pm On Sep 29, 2018
Anas09:

Really? Why can't a fly talk then?

Every animal including man possess a mode (s) of communication. . Flies too have a unique way they talk to each other.

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Barristter07: 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2018
Emusan:

Yes body and body since you JWs is claiming that Body(you) is the same thing with soul(which is also you)

Did Jesus statement show distinction between Body and Soul in that verse?

That's the question.

About hell "Gehenna" have different meaning just like every other Greek or Hebrew words.

Luke 12:5 also shield more light to it
Moreover, I say to you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body and after this are not able to do anything more. But I will show you whom to fear: Fear the One who after killing has authority to throw into Ge·henʹna. Yes, I tell you, fear this One. NWT

From this passage it's evident that:
1. Body was used and NOT A PERSON
2. Both God and man can KILL
3. But man can only kill AFTER THAT they can't do anything
4. But God can kill AFTER He kill He can then throw your remain into Gehenna.

But you people will overlook all this self explanatory statement but still living in delusion.

Eyaah

Did Jesus made a distinction between body and soul at Luke 12:22 too ? Do you agree with Jesus that a soul eats ?

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by JuanDeDios: 4:45pm On Oct 03, 2018
OneJ:

So ,the ancient Greeks whose pantheon of gods & goddesses influenced their philosophy & pagan rooted ideas are now your role models & life coach ?

But, triplechoice, are U a Christian, moslem ,atheist or what are your beliefs ,as regards the soul, per se ?

If the Genesis account, is in your words, is "mythical" , also your assertion implies that Jesus Christ is a myth.

Please explain how calling Genesis a myth amounts to calling Jesus a myth. I'm interested.
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 03, 2018
JuanDeDios:

Please explain how calling Genesis a myth amounts to calling Jesus a myth. I'm interested.
What's my business with Jesus if not because of sin inherited from Adam Abeg Jesus for dey hin own na only Adam for dey give all of US instructions. So whatever invalidates Genesis then Jesus is also a myth. 1Corinthians 15:45 undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by sonmvayina(m): 8:55pm On Oct 03, 2018
Barristter07:

Eyaah

Did Jesus made a distinction between body and soul at Luke 12:22 too ? Do you agree with Jesus that a soul eats ?

Every human being is made of body and spirit.. Not all humans have a soul, some are soulless.. Like the demons the world is battling now, the ones that just have an inexplicable hatred for human life,and decides to be a suicide bomber..

When man experiences the Illusions of death, the spirit simply leaves the physical body as man is a spiritual being having a human experience.. The body is usually buried 6feet below the earth and the spirit goes to the realm of the spirit to join the ancestors to rest.. 2nd Samuel 7:10-15...

The idea of heaven and hell is a pagan /Christian invention.
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Emusan(m): 10:04pm On Oct 03, 2018
Barristter07:
Eyaah
Did Jesus made a distinction between body and soul at Luke 12: 22 5 too ? Do you agree with Jesus that a soul eats ?

So it means Matthew 10:5 is wrong.
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Barristter07: 9:17am On Oct 04, 2018
Emusan:

So it means Matthew 10:5 is wrong.

The issue here is:

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Emusan(m): 9:24am On Oct 04, 2018
Barristter07:

The issue here is:

You repeating Luke 12:22 when it's Luke 12:4-5 says Alot about how well you know your Bible.

Go and read that Luke 12 to sea that Jesus didn't say invisible part of man SOUL do eat...
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Barristter07: 9:29am On Oct 04, 2018
Emusan:

You repeating Luke 12:22 when it's Luke 12:4-5 says Alot about how well you know your Bible.

Go and read that Luke 12 to sea that Jesus didn't say invisible part of man SOUL do eat...

grin hahahaha , The focus is on Luke 12:22 because of the distinction it creates between body and soul.

Kindly produce one Verse where it says Soul is invisible ?

1 Like

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by CodeTemplar: 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2018
Anas09:

So, a soul is a living conscious body? And this body resides inside of your physical body?

Pls oneJ. Which part of your body does the soul resides in?
The human soul to me is comprised mainly of his emotion, intellect and will. These components draw largely from the state of the spirit man which to me is the real man.
The soul along with the body and spirit forms the triune nature and complete man.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by sonmvayina(m): 2:52pm On Oct 04, 2018
Emusan:

So I put it to you,
What is Soul?
What is Body?

Gehenna [N] [B] [S]

This sound like what Another God, not the Bible one will say...
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by sonmvayina(m): 2:55pm On Oct 04, 2018
Emusan:

So I put it to you,
What is Soul?
What is Body?

Gehenna [N] [B] [S]

This sound like what Another God will say..
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 04, 2018
CodeTemplar:

The human soul to me is comprised mainly of his emotion, intellect and will. These components draw largely from the state of the spirit man which to me is the real man.
The soul along with the body and spirit forms the triune nature and complete man.
The main subject of debate is whether something survives the man after death. Of course this is something that's difficult to resolve because according to the Bible "nothing survives after a man dies. Ecclesiastes 3:19,20 & 9:4-10
But due to so many events of dead persons appearing to those living and doing one thing or another that's affecting the living positively or negatively, most people now believe that something still survives man after death. So many Bible students have been meditating on comments made by Bible characters and making references to them in concluding on what to believe. At 1Samuel 28:3-25 there something confusing happened so that most people now finds it more difficult to believe that nothing survives man after death. But the book of Genesis is what JWs based their own conclusions because God told Adam "you will die"(Genesis 2:16,17) at the same time Satan told Eve "you will not REALLY die"(Genesis 3:2,3) Adam wasn't deceived he only joined his wife and Satan to rebel(1Timothy 2:14) Satan have also succeeded in deceiving one third of the angels in heaven to join him in his rebellion, these are the ones supporting the lie Satan told the first couple in the beginning (Revelations 12:4) Satan have been causing confusion everywhere until the birth of Jesus who came and enlightened His followers about all that Satan has been doing. Note that Revelations 12:4 says "the dragon kept standing close to the woman to devour her child" meaning Satan has been waiting for the one coming to unravel all his tactics. But after all his efforts failed,Satan decided to go after TRUE Christians who have learnt from Jesus all Satan's secrets both past, present and future. Revelations 12:17 That's why every religion that claims to believe in the Bible (either in part or full) hate the TRUE Christians(Jehovah's Witnesses). Matthew 10:22,John 17:14) Although these people will be thinking they're worshipping Jesus but the hidden truth is that "they are UNKNOWINGLY working for Satan" 2Corinthians 4:4 compared to Revelations 12:9
God bless you!
Re: Is The Soul Immortal ? by Emusan(m): 3:51pm On Oct 04, 2018
sonmvayina:

This sound like what Another God will say..
So which one did your God say?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Christian Sister Pregnant Before The Wedding: Is It Right? / As A Christian, Going To Church Is Not Important At All / Why Do Catholic Priests Wear Rings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.