Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,914 members, 7,814,084 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? (2061 Views)

In Need Of Young Lawyer And Accountant / Things You Can Do On Sartudays For Extra Income. / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Betterchoice: 9:25pm On Sep 19, 2018
I am a fresh lawyer, currently residing in the East and serving there too.

I will be rounding off NYSC in a month's time and deciding on the next step to take or where to settle down has been hanging on my neck like an albatross.

I have been thinking myself to stupor in the past one year consequent upon which I have lost zeal in innumerable things.

There is pressure on me to raise funds because of younger siblings and other family issues.

Working in a law firm doesn't seem to be an option as most pay a pittance. It can be abysmally frustrating.

I am wondering if there are other things I could to make extra income.

Again, I am considering settling down in Onitsha, Awka or Enugu. Enugu is my home state though.

Or leaving the East for Abuja or Lagos.

I have been indecisive respecting this and it weighs me down.

All responses especially from lawyers too will be appreciated.

ASIDE: I have a 2:1 from the varsity and the Law School.
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Nobody: 2:31am On Sep 20, 2018
Law graduates are like computer science or computer application related graduates. You need knowledge of another field to properly complement it and sell yourself to those in that other field.
A computer programmer who understands accounting or air travel system can easily consult for financial accounting institution or air travel logistic establishment. Same logic is applicable for lawyers. You could do ICAN to gain banking/accounting related knowledge and start defending institutions in tax mess or customer care dilemma in court or as internal legal adviser. The world is evolving so fast.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Betterchoice: 5:35pm On Oct 13, 2018
cc
Arielle
queenfav tolusan
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by 48noble(m): 6:15pm On Oct 13, 2018
CodeSapien:
Law graduates are like computer science or computer application related graduates. You need knowledge of another field to properly complement it and sell yourself to those in that other field.
A computer programmer who understands accounting or air travel system can easily consult for financial accounting institution or air travel logistic establishment. Same logic is applicable for lawyers. You could do ICAN to gain banking/accounting related knowledge and start defending institutions in tax mess or customer care dilemma in court or as internal legal adviser. The world is evolving so fast.

the young lawyer won't like this one... sound advice thou.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Betterchoice: 11:16pm On Oct 21, 2018
Betterchoice:
cc
Arielle
queenfav tolusan
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 22, 2018
@ Betterchoice,

This is what I am thinking. Lagos may be a better option than all the other locations because it is a commercial city with more work opportunities.

1. Do you have family or friends, in Lagos you can stay with for a short while? Accommodation will be a major factor to consider.

2. Put together a resume (CV) and a cover letter, start unsolicited applications to targeted organizations with good reputations. You'll need to go to company websites and click on their careers section for an email address, where you can send your application materials to (Pls do not send your credentials, send only your resume as an attachment)

You need to be proactive about this. Some companies will have the address listed as careers@autonation.com but when you send a mail it may bounce back. Try hr@autonation.com or recruitment@autonation.com

Your cover letter should be short & simple. 3 short paragraphs at most with your attached resume.Try this with organizations like The Lagos Business School, Private Universities, Insurance firms, Medium sized oil & gas firms and recruitment firms.

For recruitment firms, the wording should be slightly different. Try the big law firms too, with your 2:1 result they'll snatch you up quickly. I think the big law firms pay well e.g Aelex, Paul Usoro & Co, Banwo & Ighodalo, etc
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by queenfav(f): 3:17pm On Oct 23, 2018
Betterchoice:
cc

Arielle

queenfav
tolusan
Just getting this mention. Litigation is the most stressful and least lucrative aspect of law in Nigeria, especially for fresh lawyers.
The way out is having a side hustle to augment the meager fees you get.

I always tell young Lawyers at every chance I get,
If you want to see money early in life after graduation, law practice isn't for you! Since you are fresh out of law school, you can give legal practice a shot. If the law thing is not working for you...you may need to look elsewhere.

Most of the illiterate traders and hustlers calling you “the law” and shaking you with two hands, make in a day an amount that's 5 times more than what you can make in a month. If you must practice, find a side hustle to generate more income.
Law is like Pot belly.It’s supposed to be prestigious, but the poverty rate of lawyers is just too alarming to take pride in being one nowadays.

The people making it are those with good contacts /connections, senior lawyers that have had their fair share of suffering and the extremely lucky ones who get good briefs a few years after they are called to bar.

But before you unlock your money level in law,all you have is an NBA sticker and the “Do you know who I am” line.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Betterchoice: 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2018
Clarathomp:
@ Betterchoice,

This is what I am thinking. Lagos may be a better option than all the other locations because it is a commercial city with more work opportunities.

1. Do you have family or friends, in Lagos you can stay with for a short while? Accommodation will be a major factor to consider.

2. Put together a resume (CV) and a cover letter, start unsolicited applications to targeted organizations with good reputations. You'll need to go to company websites and click on their careers section for an email address, where you can send your application materials to (Pls do not send your credentials, send only your resume as an attachment)

You need to be proactive about this. Some companies will have the address listed as careers@autonation.com but when you send a mail it may bounce back. Try hr@autonation.com or recruitment@autonation.com

Your cover letter should be short & simple. 3 short paragraphs at most with your attached resume.Try this with organizations like The Lagos Business School, Private Universities, Insurance firms, Medium sized oil & gas firms and recruitment firms.

For recruitment firms, the wording should be slightly different. Try the big law firms too, with your 2:1 result they'll snatch you up quickly. I think the big law firms pay well e.g Aelex, Paul Usoro & Co, Banwo & Ighodalo, etc

Thanks.
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Betterchoice: 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2019
More inputs please.
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Betterchoice: 4:13pm On Jan 20, 2019
Thanks
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by SmartMindsFx: 11:29pm On Jan 20, 2019
Have you ever considered getting involved in trading (forex or crypto).
This might sound crazy but I must tell you that its what I'll advice you do.

It can be done anywhere and your money would be safe anywhere you have it.

Check my signature for my WhatsApp contact if you are interested.
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Oladeji245(m): 2:52pm On Jul 20, 2020
queenfav:

Just getting this mention. Litigation is the most stressful and least lucrative aspect of law in Nigeria, especially for fresh lawyers.
The way out is having a side hustle to augment the meager fees you get.

I always tell young Lawyers at every chance I get,
If you want to see money early in life after graduation, law practice isn't for you! Since you are fresh out of law school, you can give legal practice a shot. If the law thing is not working for you...you may need to look elsewhere.

Most of the illiterate traders and hustlers calling you “the law” and shaking you with two hands, make in a day an amount that's 5 times more than what you can make in a month. If you must practice, find a side hustle to generate more income.
Law is like Pot belly.It’s supposed to be prestigious, but the poverty rate of lawyers is just too alarming to take pride in being one nowadays.

The people making it are those with good contacts /connections, senior lawyers that have had their fair share of suffering and the extremely lucky ones who get good briefs a few years after they are called to bar.

But before you unlock your money level in law,all you have is an NBA sticker and the “Do you know who I am” line.

thank u very much ma'am..
I was one of those people that does make snide remarks at u then,because I was naive and not knowing everything u spoke of is true..Time has proven u right.
I'm now a final year law student and I have seen the abject reality.
most young lawyers I know are full of regrets.
its better for me to face my fashion design job squarely instead of wasting valuable thousands in the NLS
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by queenfav(f): 6:54am On Jul 21, 2020
Oladeji245:

thank u very much ma'am..
I was one of those people that does make snide remarks at u then,because I was naive and not knowing everything u spoke of is true..Time has proven u right.
I'm now a final year law student and I have seen the abject reality.
most young lawyers I know are full of regrets.
its better for me to face my fashion design job squarely instead of wasting valuable thousands in the NLS
All the best!
Re: How Do I Excel And/or Make Extra Income As A Young Lawyer? by Oladeji245(m): 10:17am On Jul 21, 2020
queenfav:
All the best!
same here ma'am

(1) (Reply)

CAC Info / Pharmacy In Uniben / Nitda: A Talk-shop, Yes Or No?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.