Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,185 members, 7,825,705 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? (26119 Views)

Choosing Between Travelling To UK Or Australia! / In Response To " Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein" / Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Hibiyemsy: 1:17am On Sep 21, 2018
Ayaboyo:
I am a Nigerian qualified lawyer and live in Australia. Believe me there are lot of options even for overseas qualified lawyers as we are reffered to. Compliance, corporate governance, whistleblowing analyst, Corrections, social work, legal assistant or you can also apply to work with the various ombudsmen.

It not law as you see it in Naija but it draws on your legal knowledge which help you excel.

If however you are interested in litigation, then you have to go back to school for the priestly 11 which is divided into 14 or 15 units depending on the University and law school for 6 months.
please is there a way I can reach you via your email. I'm looking at my chances of relocating to australia too.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 1:28am On Sep 21, 2018
Jamestown123:
Even people wey never go abroad go still talk Sha.

Calm down bro! You don comot for Nigeria b4? lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Ugosample(m): 4:46am On Sep 21, 2018
Vatsyayana:
Just use the 2m to open a lawfirm in Nigeria

I won't advise that

2m will not go far in opening a law firm.

besides, you don't even have experience like that, so opening a law firm may not be a good idea.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Ugosample(m): 4:47am On Sep 21, 2018
Factfinder1:
Sell popcorn or dodo...u think they practice Nigerian shitty laws that affects only the poor abroad

ignorant post

4 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by rinzaugustine: 6:39am On Sep 21, 2018
benben1000:
Law is the worst degree one can ever get especially in Nigeria and Africa. All of my lawyer friends regret ever getting this degree. They are one of the most hungry people in Nigeria...
Those your friends are not lawyers

4 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by rinzaugustine: 7:05am On Sep 21, 2018
wemmyklein:
Your number one problem will be your accent, then your degree is from Nigeria.
No judge want to listen to you when you have a thick accent that will be difficult for him or her to understand.
Nobody want to hire you to represent them on a case, I am talking from experience.
The only thing most foreign people with a law degree do is to become an IMMIGRATION LAWYER.

My Experience:
I went to court to dispute a ticket giving to me by a cop. When they called my name which was difficult for the person calling it I knew I am in trouble,then as soon as I open my mouth to talk the judge ordered everybody in the room to keep quite and said we have someone with accent here. I didn't even talk for 2mins he just told me to go and pay the damn ticket..

2nd experience:
A friend of mine lost a case because she hired a Nigerian man to represent her in court.
Accent!Accent!Accent!
Most of our guys here with law degree from Nigeria are mostly into immigration cases.

Think about it.
Lol you are most probably in the south and its even worse in the bible areas of mississipi,alabama etc .In the North ,they hear our accent very clearly

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Betterchoice: 7:40am On Sep 21, 2018
ademijuwonlo:

I made same mistake of not going out for my MSc and I regret it everyday!

You look in hindsight and wish some things were otherwise.

Could you share your experience please.

It would be helpful to me and other thousands.
.Thanks.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Jamestown123: 7:59am On Sep 21, 2018
9JAFULLBREED:

Calm down bro! You don comot for Nigeria b4? lipsrsealed
I never tell you say I don comot from naija oo, but u wey never comot shut up make people wey don comot talk. I know you must talk based on them say.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Emperornice: 8:20am On Sep 21, 2018
Betterchoice:

Thanks for the input

lalasticlala
mynd44

Such a matured response
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by wemmyklein: 11:28am On Sep 21, 2018
ATLANTA
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by wemmyklein: 11:29am On Sep 21, 2018
Atlanta
rinzaugustine:
Lol you are most probably in the south and its even worse in the bible areas of mississipi,alabama etc .In the North ,they hear our accent very clearly
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by adeniyi3971(m): 6:05pm On Sep 21, 2018
ERONX:
I'm a legal attorney in New York... And the legal market in the U.S is quite lucrative and competitive, 2 million naira won't get u anywhere... You need something huge financially, you can apply for your masters in any cheap university and also enroll for the American Bar Exams.

please reply pm
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 2:14pm On Sep 22, 2018
Jamestown123:
I never tell you say I don comot from naija oo, but u wey never comot shut up make people wey don comot talk. I know you must talk based on them say.

Focus on ur bet9ja and stop jumping on all threads with your local stupidity.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Jamestown123: 3:46pm On Sep 22, 2018
9JAFULLBREED:

Focus on ur bet9ja and stop jumping on all threads with your local stupidity.
Hahaha i no fit talk abeg
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by kiboe: 6:15pm On Sep 29, 2018
Nice advice.
Ayaboyo:
I am a Nigerian qualified lawyer and live in Australia. Believe me there are lot of options even for overseas qualified lawyers as we are reffered to. Compliance, corporate governance, whistleblowing analyst, Corrections, social work, legal assistant or you can also apply to work with the various ombudsmen.

It not law as you see it in Naija but it draws on your legal knowledge which help you excel.

If however you are interested in litigation, then you have to go back to school for the priestly 11 which is divided into 14 or 15 units depending on the University and law school for 6 months.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Betterchoice: 5:22pm On Oct 13, 2018
blackbuddy, salford1, maternal, thecongo2
Your views needed please
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by EKPETI(m): 9:17pm On Oct 13, 2018
HI, pls how can i confirm new zealand visa whether it is genuine?
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by TheCongo2: 2:16am On Oct 14, 2018
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by TheCongo2: 2:31am On Oct 14, 2018
wemmyklein:
Your number one problem will be your accent, then your degree is from Nigeria.
No judge want to listen to you when you have a thick accent that will be difficult for him or her to understand.
Nobody want to hire you to represent them on a case, I am talking from experience.
The only thing most foreign people with a law degree do is to become an IMMIGRATION LAWYER.

My Experience:
I went to court to dispute a ticket giving to me by a cop. When they called my name which was difficult for the person calling it I knew I am in trouble,then as soon as I open my mouth to talk the judge ordered everybody in the room to keep quite and said we have someone with accent here. I didn't even talk for 2mins he just told me to go and pay the damn ticket..

2nd experience:
A friend of mine lost a case because she hired a Nigerian man to represent her in court.
Accent!Accent!Accent!
Most of our guys here with law degree from Nigeria are mostly into immigration cases.

Think about it.

I completely disagree with you on all the points outlined in your post.

There are high profile people with accent in the American society. Arnold Schwarzenegger has a accent and was the governor of California. I know of a mayor who had immigrated to the US from Haiti as an adult and has a French accent. There are countless of university professors, teachers, police officers with foreign accent. Why would a lawyer with a accent be treated differently ? In 2003, Jean Chrétien was the prime minister of Canada. He spoke English with a very thick French accent and Canada is mostly English.

No judge will make a ruling on the basis of someone's accent. In the case of your traffic ticket, You just didn't have strong arguments to convince the judge that the cop was wrong. In the case where it is your words against the cop's words, the cop will always prevail.

You further indicate that your friend lost his case in court because he hired a Nigerian lawyer with an accent. I guess you don't even have the transcript of yor friend's hearing, you don't have all the facts of your friend's case, but you come on Nairaland to tell the world that your friend lost because of the accent of his lawyer... this conclusion is based on hearsay, based on your friend's opinion and we have no facts.

I am sensing a self-esteem issue in your post

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by TheCongo2: 2:35am On Oct 14, 2018
planetx:
The Law field is saturated in the US, even American lawyers are lamenting You better ditch your law degree if you coming to the US and look to start afresh in IT or medical field. If you did not go to a prestigious law school and have good connections coming to the US to practise law is a total waste of time, don't let no one deceive you.

facts or opinions?
Is the observation based on statistics or hearsay?
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 14, 2018
dairykidd:

Op for ur own good listen to this man & follow up..
plz can u gve me ideas of cheap american universities. Tnk u
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Blackbuddy: 2:15am On Oct 15, 2018
Betterchoice:
blackbuddy, salford1, maternal, thecongo2

Your views needed please

Hi, although I'm not a lawyer I found these resources which may be helpful to you, https://www.prepareforcanada.com/working/success-strategies/career-pathways/legal/legal-skills-development/legal-skills-development/#.W8PpAcspAwA

https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/resource-centre/student-resources/beginning-again-internationally-trained-lawyers/

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/prodconsum/groups/csc/%40oipp/documents/document/oi_en_law_cm.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjQhd-2oYfeAhUpw1kKHV1aAUsQFjAEegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1UKkBaOxdsiJiGD7y2cBLn

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Betterchoice: 9:43pm On Oct 20, 2018
apolonius

cc
Your views needed please.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by apolonius(m): 10:36pm On Oct 20, 2018
Betterchoice:
apolonius

cc
Your views needed please.

Canada is great for lawyers, but you need to get licensed to practice and explore the vast opportunities. The process of licensing takes some time, as you need to get your legal education from Nigeria assessed to enable them determine the number of exams you need to write. Then, there is the Bar exams and other processes including articling. It takes time, resources, study and all. It is doable as I and some others are currently in the process. Of course, we are Permanent Residents.

Canadian universities offer LLM programs tailored to meet the requirements for getting licensed. Getting into any of those will help make the process easy.

I studied in the UK, but going through the processes like my friends from Nigeria and common law jurisdictions around the world.

Canada is a great place, I feel so at home than I ever did studying law in the U.K. to PhD level. I know and see many people who came from Naija a year or two ago doing so well. The government invests in many schemes to make settling down here quite easy. Mentoring schemes, settler programmes and agencies, agencies that recruit for jobs, teach skills that help get into work fast and all.

Yet, be realistic in your plans as it takes 1-3 years to settle fully into any of these Western countries and better explore opportunities for better life. But there are many survival opportunities for the earlier days.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Bossladyorigina: 6:05am On Oct 27, 2018
Are you based in Australia?

Ayaboyo:

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Betterchoice: 5:10pm On Nov 06, 2018
apolonius:

Canada is great for lawyers, but you need to get licensed to practice and explore the vast opportunities. The process of licensing takes some time, as you need to get your legal education from Nigeria assessed to enable them determine the number of exams you need to write. Then, there is the Bar exams and other processes including articling. It takes time, resources, study and all. It is doable as I and some others are currently in the process. Of course, we are Permanent Residents.

Canadian universities offer LLM programs tailored to meet the requirements for getting licensed. Getting into any of those will help make the process easy.

I studied in the UK, but going through the processes like my friends from Nigeria and common law jurisdictions around the world.

Canada is a great place, I feel so at home than I ever did studying law in the U.K. to PhD level. I know and see many people who came from Naija a year or two ago doing so well. The government invests in many schemes to make settling down here quite easy. Mentoring schemes, settler programmes and agencies, agencies that recruit for jobs, teach skills that help get into work fast and all.

Yet, be realistic in your plans as it takes 1-3 years to settle fully into any of these Western countries and better explore opportunities for better life. But there are many survival opportunities for the earlier days.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Betterchoice: 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2018
AgamaProf:
If you stay back in Nigeria, with the 2m you can open a law firm or set up a business.
If you plan traveling out, I think you should start writing GRE and IELTS and score very high in them. There are scholarships for most schools in the US or canada. If you do secure scholarship, I don't know if they will allow you work. Just do more search.
My Advise is, if you have the 2m handy, pls do business in Nigeria.
If you don't have the 2m handy, pls, start writing GRE AND IELTS

Thanks for your input.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Betterchoice: 6:32am On Nov 30, 2018
Exwizard:
Nigeria is full of crime, if you are not been blinded by religious sentiment, u will surely make it big in Nigeria but don't neglect charge and bail lawyers they also make urge money On a daily basis.

Lol
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Betterchoice: 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2018
apolonius:

Thanks a lot.

Do you think coming as a PR is better than coming with student visa.?

And what exactly do Lawyers do as our Laws are different apart from areas like Contract etc

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Ayaboyo: 9:50am On Dec 21, 2018
Bossladyorigina:
Are you based in Australia?

Yes I am�

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Images From My Brief Visit To The LA Zoo. / Saudi Arabia Shuns Nigeria, Okays Tourist Visas For 49 Countries / United Airlines Flight Lands With Engine On Fire At Denver Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.