Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please (1512 Views)

Man Takes Car For Servicing & Discovers These Animals In The Car (pics/video) / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech / 2010 Landrover LR4 Timing Chain Issue, Diagnosis And Repair! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by nickxtra(m): 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2018
I took my car for a computer diagnostic because I was worried about the check engine symbol that was on the dash board, secondly the Airbag was showing a fault since the light was on. Thirdly my car vibrates when I turn on it on, although not very pronounced. And the fourth reason was that when I am on a high speed and I apply breaks to stop, the car swerves or tries slipping to my right hand side unless I hold tight to the sterling. Apart from all these and perhaps the noise from the lower arms or stabilizing linkages when I drive on uneven surfaces, my car drives smoothly.

The Company, i was told is very good. Then I took Toyota Corrola 2007 there; they drove my car into workshop and after about 45 minutes, they brought an estimate and behold! what they quoted for me i still cannot understand.

I thought they will bring out errors codes or explain faults to me, but they just gave me this list of what I need to fix in the car. Am confused firstly because of the kind of report which is simply an estimate of parts to change, instead of showing me errors that need to be fixed.

Gurus in the house, am planning to go for another or better check to ascertain the actual errors or problems with the car.

Please help me relate the aforementioned problems viz a viz the estimate given to me by the company and advise approximately. Thanks

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:48pm On Sep 20, 2018
Lol, ask them for the report from the diagnosis. Pay them for the diagnosis. Get out of there.

2 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 20, 2018
Jesus!! For 2007 Corolla ? Na wa oo

2 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 20, 2018
Them wan take you build upstairs

4 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by weyreypey: 1:51pm On Sep 20, 2018
herewegast:
BECOME A 3D ANIMATOR WITH 100% PRACTICAL TRAINING IN LAGOS!
Obviously you are very incompetent and a fraud of not you won't be spamming threads seeking whom to defraud

2 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by weyreypey: 1:56pm On Sep 20, 2018
nickxtra:
I took my car for a computer diagnostic because I was worried about the check engine symbol that was on the dash board, secondly the Airbag was showing a fault since the light was on. Thirdly my car vibrates when I turn on it on, although not very pronounced. And the fourth reason was that when I am on a high speed and I apply breaks to stop, the car swerves or tries slipping to my right hand side unless I hold tight to the sterling. Apart from all these and perhaps the noise from the lower arms or stabilizing linkages when I drive on uneven surfaces, my car drives smoothly.

The Company, i was told is very good. Then I took Toyota Corrola 2007 there; they drove my car into workshop and after about 45 minutes, they brought an estimate and behold! what they quoted for me i still cannot understand.

I thought they will bring out errors codes or explain faults to me, but they just gave me this list of what I need to fix in the car. Am confused firstly because of the kind of report which is simply an estimate of parts to change, instead of showing me errors that need to be fixed.

Gurus in the house, am planning to go for another or better check to ascertain the actual errors or problems with the car.

Please help me relate the aforementioned problems viz a viz the estimate given to me by the company and advise approximately. Thanks
Ok so you're changing Engine and transmission?

1 Like

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by nickxtra(m): 2:49pm On Sep 20, 2018
weyreypey:

Ok so you're changing Engine and transmission?
I don't understand the question
Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by weyreypey: 3:11pm On Sep 20, 2018
nickxtra:
I don't understand the question
For the billing you gotta be replacing the engine and transmission.

2 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 20, 2018
This is normal for big dealership workshops na, so I'm not surprised. If u never chop bele full no near them. I once took a 2005 Honda Accord with master breake problems, vibration and loss of power to Honda place and they quoted me 450k. See the long list they gave me like they wanted to change everything in the car.

2 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by weyreypey: 3:18pm On Sep 20, 2018
greenhulk:
This is normal for big dealership workshops na, so I'm not surprised. If u never chop bele full no near them. I once took a 2005 Honda Accord with master breake problems, vibration and loss of power to Honda place and they quoted me 450k. See the long list they gave me like they wanted to change everything in the car.
Some of them goes through backdoor to source parts at ladipo or oyingbo

5 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by lilkech(m): 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2018
after reading through threads like this I always remember to take a moment to pick up my phone and call my kazeem to wish him a very long life grin

12 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 20, 2018
weyreypey:

Some of them goes through backdoor to source parts at ladipo or oyingbo

Of course and not only that. Sometimes they don't do thorough diagnosis to get the particular problem with ur car. They are fond of throwing many parts on ur car to fix a small problem, like using an armoured tank to kill a cokroach, they know customers will pay. Imagine my car was scamned for abs and it showed 2 bad wheel sensors but they included 4 sensors in their list and still included abs pump. On fact the parts they listed were like 20. I went out to kazeem, changed 2 wheel sensors, abs light went off.

4 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by weyreypey: 3:55pm On Sep 20, 2018
lilkech:
after reading through threads like this I always remember to take a moment to pick up my phone and call my kazeem to wish him a very long life grin

Long life doing what?

3 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by nickxtra(m): 5:41pm On Sep 20, 2018
weyreypey:

For the billing you gotta be replacing the engine and transmission.
No, just for the parts listed
Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by nickxtra(m): 5:43pm On Sep 20, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Lol, ask them for the report from the diagnosis. Pay them for the diagnosis. Get out of there.
They did not offer any report apart from what they listed there, but I have paid them their money and walked out.
Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by AutoElectNG: 5:49pm On Sep 20, 2018
I think anyone has a right to charge as they feel

You can get a beer for 300.00 mom and pop's shop on your street

Have you tried costing the same beer at the Relaxation center at The Palms?

You have the wrong focus.

But then you are entitled to your opinion.

The real issue seems to me to be, can they do a good job? Can you afford them?

If they can, but you can't afford them let them be.

Find someone whose pricepoint makes peace with your pocket and not war

4 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by diportivo: 9:07pm On Sep 20, 2018
wtf is airbag sensor undecided
Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by erico2k2(m): 11:32pm On Sep 20, 2018
nickxtra:

To be honest the o.ly item I found wanting o's numbers 7,8 and 9 . They are right with the rest . From what you described . That break n swerve is a control arm issue . I ja e expirienced this 4. .However if you can fix the bushing happy days . .wheel nearing change and O2 changes are good.ur car is 2007 . That's 11 years old . The O2 and bearing are due changes . .you need to do more fault finding on ur Airbag fault.
Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by erico2k2(m): 11:32pm On Sep 20, 2018
diportivo:
wtf is airbag sensor undecided
I think they mean crash sensors ahah.these guys nor go kill person
Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by adanny01(m): 7:26am On Sep 21, 2018
nickxtra:

They were supposed to charge you for a comprehensive scan and give you the results suggestions solutions. This should include the SRS specific fault but replacing sensor? Which sensor for that matter?

A/C vibration in 90% cases is bad engine mount related. Other case will be using a wrong A/C compressor or a weak/faulty engine.

Lastly, the brake swerving is usually a failed/blocked brake line. In most cases, its either from the master brake cylinder or from ABS pump if you have. Most master cylinders have 2 lines and when one is bad, it results to swerving. What that means literally is that one front tire brakes and the other doesnot or the braking force is not equal on both wheels. If the car swerves to the right then the left is not braking well and vise versa. This could also be the case with the rear wheels if the issue is from the master brake but the issue will be opposite to the front.

To check, drive and brake for some minutes. Both brake discs should be hot but if one is not, it confirms that a brake line is not working. Another check is to pour water on both disc in the night if you have iron discs. By morning you will see rust kn both, drive and brake once, the if rust remains on any disc, you know the diagnosis.

It just feels like you have to flee from that shop.

2 Likes

Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by nickxtra(m): 5:18pm On Sep 27, 2018
adanny01:

They were supposed to charge you for a comprehensive scan and give you the results suggestions solutions. This should include the SRS specific fault but replacing sensor? Which sensor for that matter?

A/C vibration in 90% cases is bad engine mount related. Other case will be using a wrong A/C compressor or a weak/faulty engine.

Lastly, the brake swerving is usually a failed/blocked brake line. In most cases, its either from the master brake cylinder or from ABS pump if you have. Most master cylinders have 2 lines and when one is bad, it results to swerving. What that means literally is that one front tire brakes and the other doesnot or the braking force is not equal on both wheels. If the car swerves to the right then the left is not braking well and vise versa. This could also be the case with the rear wheels if the issue is from the master brake but the issue will be opposite to the front.

To check, drive and brake for some minutes. Both brake discs should be hot but if one is not, it confirms that a brake line is not working. Another check is to pour water on both disc in the night if you have iron discs. By morning you will see rust kn both, drive and brake once, the if rust remains on any disc, you know the diagnosis.

It just feels like you have to flee from that shop.
Thank you
Re: I Took My Car For Computer Diagnosis And See What They Report: Advise Please by nickxtra(m): 5:20pm On Sep 27, 2018
erico2k2:

To be honest the o.ly item I found wanting o's numbers 7,8 and 9 . They are right with the rest . From what you described . That break n swerve is a control arm issue . I ja e expirienced this 4. .However if you can fix the bushing happy days . .wheel nearing change and O2 changes are good.ur car is 2007 . That's 11 years old . The O2 and bearing are due changes . .you need to do more fault finding on ur Airbag fault.
okay, thanks

(1) (Reply)

So My Car Is Really Thirsty For Water / Vehicle Plate Number / Toyota Corolla Urgent Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.