Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,255 members, 7,811,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech (71666 Views)

Benz C300 Assessment & Review / Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / Adewale Auto Care And Diagnosis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 1:20pm On Jun 20, 2019
undecided winkThe aim of this thread is simple. It is to help guide the diagonosis process of whatever electrical and engine performance issues you are currently experiencing with your car. Pls note that the idea is to help guide efficient diagnosis remotely so as to guide you in the fix wherever you are. In light of this no man is an island so I will be glad if other experienced techs, DIYers can also weigh in to advice and help provide solutions to issues tabled on this thread.

So pls if you have any questions or queries about your vehicle kindly drop them here lets help you find a solution together via accurate diagnosis.
Pls while doing so kindly state details of the car in question like make, model, model year, engine spec etc. As this info is necessary in finding more information. Also state clearly the symptoms observed and if you have scanned pls provide DTCs.

Alright lets get those cars fixed grin grin grin
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 10:48am On Jun 21, 2019
Following cool
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 3:35pm On Jun 21, 2019
Just electrical issues or general car issues?
This one go hard to tackle remotely ooO.
I've seen cars that would give the manufacturers headaches with the way wires would be flying around and taped with pure water satchel.
Have you also considered that most people ignorantly buy a poorly converted car here too?
Electrical components dey broad and are the most abused parts in a car ooO.
It would be fun watching how solutions to auto electrical issues are being proffered here though.
Following.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 4:11pm On Jun 21, 2019
jceesquare:
I've seen cars that would give the manufacturers headaches with the way wires would be flying around and taped with pure water satchel.
Have you also considered that most people ignorantly buy a poorly converted car here too?
It would be fun watching how solutions to auto electrical issues are being proffered here though.
Following.

Hmmmmmm... you are right. Will change it. Thanks mehn... sure u'll be around to help throw in suggestions too shey?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 4:16pm On Jun 21, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Hmmmmmm... you are right. Will change it. Thanks mehn... sure u'll be around to help throw in suggestions too shey?
We have so many car repair thread on car talk section. You can leave yours the way it is and be different.
Trust Nigerians to still flood this thread with all manner of car issues.
I only work on my cars as a DIY and not that deep with cars, but would contribute my quota though.

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 4:23pm On Jun 21, 2019
jceesquare:

We have so many car repair thread on car talk section. You can leave yours the way it is and be different.
Trust Nigerians to still flood this thread with all manner of car issues.
I only work on my cars as a DIY and not that deep with cars, but would contribute my quota though.

Same thot. Not wise being a jack of all trade. But then the idea is to help people get their cars fixed the right way. Not throwing parts.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 4:42pm On Jun 21, 2019
jceesquare:
Following.
Apart from suspension issues and engine related ,all other vehicle issue is 90% electrical related eg Performances issues , fuel mileage,HVAC ,cooling etc are all electrical related .If must know for modern car ,the fault management background system is OBD2 run on electrical platform .
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:10am On Jun 24, 2019
Beautiful morning fellas. So lets kick start this week with this grin
Top 7 Auto Electric Problems

Your car is a maze of wires, fuses, relays and other major electrical parts. If any of these components have trouble operating it could result in a poor driving or non driving vehicle. The following are 7 of the most common electrical problems in modern automobiles. If you experience any of these be sure to contact your local mechanic right away.

Dead Battery
A dead battery is the most common and obvious electrical problem. When you turn the key the car's engine won't turn over. You may still be able to use your lights and other accessories. This can usually be resolved with a jump start.

Battery Will Not Charge
However, a battery that will no longer hold a charge will need to be replaced. Batteries do wear out after many years of use.

Bad Alternator
A damaged or otherwise malfunctioning alternator could also prevent the battery from recharging. If your car begins to lose electrical function, such as dim headlights, as you drive, you can bet on alternator trouble.

Fatigued Starter or Solenoid
If the starter or solenoid goes out your car's engine won't turn over. More than likely you'll hear a loud click or series of clicks if the starter has gone bad.

Bad Battery Cables
A corroded loose battery cable could be the root of a no start situation. Check the connections if your car won't start.

Blown Electrical Fuses
A blown fuse is a quick and easy fix, if it's the culprit of your trouble.

Failed Spark Plugs
Loose or dirty plugs will affect the operation of your car. Common symptoms of spark plug trouble are lurching or rough idling.

If you're experiencing any electrical trouble in your vehicle and need help fixing, drop your issues here let me help you get it fixed without stress.

Curlled from https://www.autorepairmountainviewca.com/blog/common-auto-electric-problems.php

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 9:23am On Jun 24, 2019
AutoMoTech:
Beautiful morning fellas. So lets kick start this week with this grin
Top 7 Auto Electric Problems

Dead Battery
A dead battery is the most common and obvious electrical problem. When you turn the key the car's engine won't turn over. You may still be able to use your lights and other accessories. This can usually be resolved with a jump start.

Battery Will Not Charge
However, a battery that will no longer hold a charge will need to be replaced. Batteries do wear out after many years of use.

Bad Alternator
A damaged or otherwise malfunctioning alternator could also prevent the battery from recharging. If your car begins to lose electrical function, such as dim headlights, as you drive, you can bet on alternator trouble.

If you're experiencing any electrical trouble in your vehicle and need help fixing, drop your issues here let me help you get it fixed without stress.

Curlled from https://www.autorepairmountainviewca.com/blog/common-auto-electric-problems.php
When the car no longer starts fast/sharp as before (low crank power or speed), the quoted should be checked too.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by bendovex: 9:46am On Jun 24, 2019
Good morning.
Nice thread.
My car, 2000 Toyota Camry recently started vibrating whenever I'm accelerating into the 2nd gear or decelerating into the 2nd gear. The vibration stops once the gear changes from 2 to other gears. I do not know what the problem is and I'm completely confused. The vibration is so annoying and makes one uncomfortable in the car. Initially I thought it could be the exhaust, I had that checked. Someone suggested engine mounts, I replaced the 3 engine mounts and still the problem persists.
Please any idea what could be the solution? Thanks.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:28am On Jun 24, 2019
bendovex:
Good morning.
Nice thread.
My car, 2000 Toyota Camry recently started vibrating whenever I'm accelerating into the 2nd gear or decelerating into the 2nd gear. The vibration stops once the gear changes from 2 to other gears. I do not know what the problem is and I'm completely confused. The vibration is so annoying and makes one uncomfortable in the car. Initially I thought it could be the exhaust, I had that checked. Someone suggested engine mounts, I replaced the 3 engine mounts and still the problem persists.

First i would love to ask is your car manual or automatic transmission? This would really help in further diagnosis. I av some ideas on this issue but meed to be clear of d type of transmission.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 3:17pm On Jun 24, 2019
bendovex:
Good morning.
Nice thread.
Just checked the details of your vehicle transmission. There are various issues that can affect or cause vibration among wc is worn engine seats, then electrical, hydraulic and mechanical faults in the transmission.
Since U av fixed d seats dts out it. However we need to confirm the state of the trans fluids.
Now finally where i think your fault is, is in the electrical solenoids. Your trans uses only 2 solenoids to control the gears. If one is faulty your transmission would not work well.
I would advice you kindly get in touch with a competent mechanic to help you run a deep diagnosis on the transmission system so as to narrow down the real cause of the vibration .

Hope this helps sir.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Backup007: 5:33pm On Jun 24, 2019
Good day house,

My Toyota Sienna 2000 whenever I try to put the gear in reverse or any other spot the engine shakes/move like the whole car vibrates, someone said it’s the engine seat or something

From your experience what do you think the problem could be?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 6:15pm On Jun 24, 2019
Backup007:
Good day house,

My Toyota Sienna 2000 whenever I try to put the gear in reverse or any other spot the engine shakes/move like the whole car vibrates, someone said it’s the engine seat or something

From your experience what do you think the problem could be?

The person might be right. However things that can cause a car to vibrate can also include a faulty idle control system or also engine misfire.
My advice? Get a mechanic to help u check the engine seats while U change gear. And also the seats for d transmission if it has one.
Next check for misfire.
Finally check the idle. If the throttle body is dirty, the ECU might not be able to compensate enough when the engine is put under load.
Hope this helps sir.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by bendovex: 10:11pm On Jun 24, 2019
AutoMoTech:

First i would love to ask is your car manual or automatic transmission? This would really help in further diagnosis. I av some ideas on this issue but meed to be clear of d type of transmission.
My car is automatic transmission.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by bendovex: 10:15pm On Jun 24, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Just checked the details of your vehicle transmission. There are various issues that can affect or cause vibration among wc is worn engine seats, then electrical, hydraulic and mechanical faults in the transmission.
Since U av fixed d seats dts out it. However we need to confirm the state of the trans fluids.
Now finally where i think your fault is, is in the electrical solenoids. Your trans uses only 2 solenoids to control the gears. If one is faulty your transmission would not work well.
I would advice you kindly get in touch with a competent mechanic to help you run a deep diagnosis on the transmission system so as to narrow down the real cause of the vibration .

Hope this helps sir.
Thanks for your response,
so the problem is from the transmission? Do you know any competent technician you can recommend around Port Harcourt?
Thanks once again.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by haykay2005: 10:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
bendovex:
Good morning.
Nice thread.
Currently having similar issue . My car vibrate towards the engine bay at low rpm especially when am applying break. Most of the time when I put on the AC. The vibration goes away at high speed. I just serviced the car and no code whatsoever. New plugs, throttle body cleaned, new fuel filter, no fuel pump problem, engine mounts in good shape. What could be the problem pls?
1999 toyota camry
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Backup007: 12:17am On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

The person might be right. However things that can cause a car to vibrate can also include a faulty idle control system or also engine misfire.
My advice? Get a mechanic to help u check the engine seats while U change gear. And also the seats for d transmission if it has one.
Next check for misfire.
Finally check the idle. If the throttle body is dirty, the ECU might not be able to compensate enough when the engine is put under load.
Hope this helps sir.
thanks for this it surely helps
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by bendovex: 12:19am On Jun 25, 2019
haykay2005:

Currently having similar issue . My car vibrate towards the engine bay at low rpm especially when am applying break. Most of the time when I put on the AC. The vibration goes away at high speed. I just serviced the car and no code whatsoever. New plugs, throttle body cleaned, new fuel filter, no fuel pump problem, engine mounts in good shape. What could be the problem pls?
1999 toyota camry
Sorry about that Bro. Exactly what I'm facing.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by haykay2005: 1:43am On Jun 25, 2019
bendovex:

Sorry about that Bro. Exactly what I'm facing.
From my findings, if you recently clean throttle body which I did, one must relearn for the ecu to understand. That's the solution provided yoh clean throttle body
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 5:25am On Jun 25, 2019
haykay2005:

1999 toyota camry
Service the idle control valve not only the throttle body .
ECu uses the idle control to add resources(air & fuel) to the powertrain system when extra load is being added to prevent the car from dying off and also any unnecessary vibration at low rpm for drive- by- cable throttle system.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 5:28am On Jun 25, 2019
haykay2005:

From my findings, if you recently clean throttle body which I did, one must relearn for the ecu to understand. That's the solution provided yoh clean throttle body
Camry 2000 throttle system doesn't lend itself to ECU relearn .Just service the throttle assembly and idle system and it will automatical adjust itself to spec ( if it has not been kazeemised)
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:35am On Jun 25, 2019
bendovex:

Thanks for your response,
so the problem is from the transmission? Do you know any competent technician you can recommend around Port Harcourt?
Thanks once again.

There is a high chance the problem is from the transmission since U ascertain it only vibrates when you rev into gear 2 and also wen downshifting to gear 2.
An extensive diagnosis will be suggested sir to narrow it down.
I dont know of any in PH sir. Sincere apologies.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:42am On Jun 25, 2019
autologic:

Service the idle control valve not only the throttle body .
ECu uses the idle control to add resources(air & fuel) to the powertrain system when extra load is being added to prevent the car from dying off and any unnecessary vibration at low rpm for drive on any drive by cable throttle system.

Very correct. Servicing the e throttle body is not enough. If thr idle control is dirty and clogged up, there wont be enough air getting into the engine to compensate for the extra load (AC) at low low RPM or Idle.
Also check the wiring to the idle control valve for corosion or exposed wiring.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:43am On Jun 25, 2019
haykay2005:

The camry 99 throttle system is by cable not wire. It needs to be manually adjusted. Reason why there is no ECU relearn as suggested by Autologic
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by bendovex: 8:47am On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

There is a high chance the problem is from the transmission since U ascertain it only vibrates when you rev into gear 2 and also wen downshifting to gear 2.
An extensive diagnosis will be suggested sir to narrow it down.
I dont know of any in PH sir. Sincere apologies.
Bless you sir.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by bendovex: 8:50am On Jun 25, 2019
haykay2005:

OK, will do. Thanks.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:01am On Jun 25, 2019
bendovex:

Bless you sir.
Welcome boss
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 1:11pm On Jun 25, 2019
Top 15 Maintenance Tips That You Must Follow For Your Car To Last Longer
Maintaining your car is a very important step that every car owner must follow to increase the life of their car and make it look brand new all the time. Always follow your maintenance schedule and never ignore or delay it so that your car is always up to speed with its best performance.

Preventive maintenance is the best thing, which you can do for your car to increase its life and also save money on repairs. Never ignore your preventive maintenance as they may tell you when to change oil, check tire pressure, get inspection's, etc. The best guide you can get is from your owner's manual. However, we have provided some car maintenance tips to help you plan your schedule.

Top 15 Maintenance Tips That You Must Follow For Your Car To Last Longer
1. Check your Air Filter
2. Inspect Fluids and Tire Pressure Regularly
3. Check your Battery
4. Change your Spark Plugs
5. Get your Tires Rotated and Balanced
6. Clean your Windshields and Replace the Wipers
7. Inspect and Replace Serpentine Belts
8. Ensure the Working of the Cooling System
9. Check your Brakes
10. Keep it Covered
11. Drive Better
12. Exterior Engine Cleaning
13. Carry the Automotive Tools at all Times
14. Protect your Headlights
15. Protect the Interior of your Car

https://drivinglife.net/maintenance-tips-that-you-must-follow-for-your-car-to-last-longer/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by homeboy205: 2:11pm On Jun 25, 2019
This post will go places I will add some stuffs later
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 2:24pm On Jun 25, 2019
homeboy205:
This post will go places I will add some stuffs later

No wahala...as long as we all learn and we fix problems...
Thats the joy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

Nigerian Royal Fathers Welcome Prince Charles, Arrive In Luxury Cars / To Be Shot With An AK-47 While Sitting In An Armored Car / Checkout The Number Plate Of This Car Found In Lagos (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.