Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,872 members, 7,956,293 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:19 AM

All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) (42538 Views)

Ekuke Lovers Trend / My Purebred Eskimo Gave Birth To An Ekuke Pup, Follow The Progress of The Pup / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 23, 2018
logadims:
The Nigerian Shepherd also known as Ekuke: The Nigerian Shepherd (Ekuke) is a breed of medium to large-sized working dog. Although, this breed true origin is yet to be recognised, it is assumed that, the breed originated in Nigeria.

The breed’s officially recognized name is Nigerian Shepherd Dog in the English language (sometimes abbreviated as NSD ).

The breed is also known as ([Local dog]-as many will call it, Ekuke, Nkita). The Nigeria. Shepherd is a relatively a very old breed of dog, with their origin yet to be known. As part of the Herding Group, Nigeria Shepherds are working dogs used mostly by hunters and farmers, because of their strength, intelligence, trainability, and obedience.

Although, this breed has been highly neglected, it still posses powerful attribute which includes; disability assistance, search-and-rescue, police and military roles- if given the the opportunity, and even self-tutoring.

The Nigeria Shepherd is the most popular/known breed in Nigeria. It is also the oldest breed of dog in Nigeria(has been in existence before the almagamation of Nigeria) and one of the oldest dog breeds in Africa.
Other Names:
Nigerian shepherd dog
Common Nicknames:
Nkita
Ekuke
Local dog
NSD
Shepherd
Origin: Nigeria
Litter size: 6–13(some, give birth to up to 15 pups)
Characteristics:

https://360dogprof.com/all-about-the-nigeria-shepherd-dog-ekuke/

Nice write-up.

Dogs came from wolves (dogs are domesticated wolves) and wolves aren't indigenous Africa so I think our colonial masters must have been the ones that introduced the ekuke here. There's a wild dog in Europe or Australia called Dingo, They look exactly like ekuke based on size colour n physical appearance, They were once living with humans n later escaped into the wild, formed packs n till date they are still wild animals.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by ekene101: 11:28pm On Sep 23, 2018
Lomprico2:

Guy! No matter the kind of food u give them, they will ever eat shìt.
wrong,feed it well and it won't.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by ekene101: 11:28pm On Sep 23, 2018
The name is Anayo
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by naijapage(f): 11:36pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nonsense Dog Shepherd Bushiri
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Lordspicy(m): 11:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
when was the name changed from AFRICAN BASENJI to NIGERIAN SHEPHARD?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 11:51pm On Sep 23, 2018
Y'all saying nansense bout our local breed should eat poo.. Ekuke or not I love em still
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by mightguy(m): 11:54pm On Sep 23, 2018
pazienza:

Interesting.

Our very own Uke town in Idemili North Anambra.
Haha! Thats cool. Never knew.
lol. It was my mum that told me this and I also saw people who told me similar tinz

2 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by mtngloetiartel: 11:58pm On Sep 23, 2018
Ofeh2:

Did you give them premium dog food and they rejected it for poo?
ma da loun�
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 11:59pm On Sep 23, 2018
mtngloetiartel:
ma da loun�
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by logadims: 3:31am On Sep 24, 2018
Dnevasaynevaguy:

This OP can lie oh...it's name is the African Mongrel.
thanks. i will will correct it Sir.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by anukulapo: 4:01am On Sep 24, 2018
Lomprico2:

Guy! No matter the kind of food u give them, they will ever eat shìt.
...and someone told you that it's the only breed that eats sh*t?

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by myfootballface: 6:11am On Sep 24, 2018
I remember Jasper, our very first dog years back and how we all loved her. And yes she was a local breed.

Are you an aspiring football talent and feel you're good enough to make a career out of football? We now have a free platform to market you to potential clubs.
Myfootballface is an online network where we market or advertise players for clubs to see. So if you are a player looking for the opportunity to showcase yourself to a professional club, and you feel you are good enough, then all you need is to register with us free and we will help you look for a club that may need you. On the website, I will update you on the clubs that we have secured as soon as we get them. Check them out on
www.myfootballface.com

See more details on this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/4728995/aspiring-football-talent-cost-free
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by nymphomaniac(m): 6:18am On Sep 24, 2018
Dogs make better friends than most human beings. They never betray you, always loyal and stick with you through thick and thin

RIP Chelsea. You were onehell of a loyal dog

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Hopebringer: 6:22am On Sep 24, 2018
mhd5757:
Of you feed them well and take care of them, you will be surprised how good looking they turnout.
We used to have one back in 2005, that ekuke was very territorial and vicious, it even bit my brother in law.

Nigerians are stupid, some of them can not even afford buy the foreign dog nor to mention take good care of, but they will be yabing our ekuke native dog, they never appreciate what they have.

Some of these guys don't even have dogs of any kind but they will be talking about breeds that they can't even afford. All the know how to do is talk but to go and buy the dog they like talking about, they can not.

Well said
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 24, 2018
Op u didn't add they can bite easily
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by alexola20(m): 6:53am On Sep 24, 2018
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by frozen70(f): 7:10am On Sep 24, 2018
dbos11:
Noted

But u forgot to add their best food which is poo

They eat poo because you can't afford to feed them with their own food

Dogs exacts energy and with that they eat regularly

You only feed the dog of your little left over, that can't even be enough to satisfy him

Since the economy is taking a toll on you most time you don't cook and end up eating in the restaurant

When the dog can't get enough food he goes to his own restaurant which is the poo because its littered every where

So How do you expect a poo to nourish the dog?

4 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Zanas: 7:17am On Sep 24, 2018
Nigerian shepherd?

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Lomprico2: 7:20am On Sep 24, 2018
ekene101:
wrong,feed it well and it won't.

Lies!!
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Lomprico2: 7:22am On Sep 24, 2018
anukulapo:

...and someone told you that it's the only breed that eats sh*t?

Did I say its d only breed that does? Its among the ones that do!
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Mbediogu(m): 7:25am On Sep 24, 2018
The real and professional name is Basenji. Google it. It plays no shepherd roles. Its origin is North Africa. Thank me later.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Jaideyone(m): 7:36am On Sep 24, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Nice write-up.

Dogs came from wolves (dogs are domesticated wolves) and wolves aren't indigenous Africa so I think our colonial masters must have been the ones that introduced the ekuke here. There's a wild dog in Europe or Australia called Dingo, They look exactly like ekuke based on size colour n physical appearance, They were once living with humans n later escaped into the wild, formed packs n till date they are still wild animals.
uncle you are wrong

the originated from Congo and they are Basenjis.

they were only introduced to Europe and America less than 100 yrs ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Hollamie007: 7:42am On Sep 24, 2018
melaninpop:

E don go follow female dog de guard another man compound..... Speaking from experience cheesy

Naaaah we later found out the dog eaters did the needful
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by ekene101: 8:51am On Sep 24, 2018
Lomprico2:

Lies!!
keep deceiving yourself, only a hungry dog eats poo,feed itvwell and it won't

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Fabre2: 8:52am On Sep 24, 2018
I say this honestly I've been opportuned to train gsd, Caucasian and some other foreign breeds but locals have always been better they r intelligent,fast,alert and perfect if well trained presently only my local can sleep in my room or any other room without destroying the place I so much love the dog

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by CDCEO001: 8:56am On Sep 24, 2018
Nkịta is just Dog in Igbo Language, any dog can be colled Nkịta.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by styless(f): 8:59am On Sep 24, 2018
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by fashrola(m): 9:01am On Sep 24, 2018
johnwizey:
Or whiskeyyy

Or lucky grin
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 24, 2018
Ekukes could be seen on the tombs of Pharohs.
They are called Basenji and are priced for thier intelligeince, silence, speed and courage. They also tend to emotionaly attached to a single being

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:11am On Sep 24, 2018
dbos11:
Noted

But u forgot to add their best food which is poo
lmao, but I love these dogs more
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Proffdada: 10:20am On Sep 24, 2018
anukulapo:

Apologies man. A lot of the things I intend to post just disappeared. Meanwhile, right now it's difficult to gather the same thought. lol

you meant pedigree

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos) / Top 5 Dog Breeds That Are Best For Guarding Nigerian Homes / Shadow The Destroyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.