Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,191 members, 7,953,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:23 PM

All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) (42467 Views)

Ekuke Lovers Trend / My Purebred Eskimo Gave Birth To An Ekuke Pup, Follow The Progress of The Pup / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Quidquopro: 9:37pm On Sep 23, 2018
Hahaha
The Igbo names got me... grin
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 23, 2018
no be egbon dey the leg of the pictured dog so?? anytime i see this dogs naa lice and ticks i dey see. but i love my bingo still cheesy
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by tstx(m): 9:41pm On Sep 23, 2018
AfricaNigerian:
Oh!! Till Nigerian Shepherds start building drones then you'll know they're intelligent right Smh grin
lol
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Newboss(m): 9:42pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nkita simply means dog just like Aja angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by slade31: 9:43pm On Sep 23, 2018
Ofeh2:
You guys keep on making this dogs look like outcasts.... Btw if I have any local dog ur not using pls dash me
so that you can chop it bah!?

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by obailala(m): 9:45pm On Sep 23, 2018
Lokito... grin
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by jaxxy(m): 9:49pm On Sep 23, 2018
They are also the original mans best friend even when u don’t feed them or like them they remain loyal and stick by u. Call him bingo, whisky or just whistle they will everly answer. Lol

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by wisefizz(m): 9:52pm On Sep 23, 2018
johnwizey:
Or whiskeyyy

He also forgot LUCKY

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by 1Sharon(f): 9:53pm On Sep 23, 2018
Newboss:
Nkita simply means dog just like Aja angry

Oya what's the correct word then
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Bryan12(m): 9:53pm On Sep 23, 2018
Someone should please remove those pictures.
The memories of how I was pursued by this very set of dog in my childhood days are still fresh in my head. cry

13 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by wisefizz(m): 9:53pm On Sep 23, 2018
Lokili
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by mightguy(m): 9:53pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nkita is the igbo name for dog and ekuke is actually eke uke. In the olden dayz there is a big market in a kingdom I won't mention their name. Where hunting tools are sold..most especially hunting dogs.... That was where the name eke uke... Became popular. The market still exists till now. They sell dogs there...

11 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Lomprico2: 9:54pm On Sep 23, 2018
Ofeh2:

Did you give them premium dog food and they rejected it for poo?

Guy! No matter the kind of food u give them, they will ever eat shìt.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Newboss(m): 9:59pm On Sep 23, 2018
1Sharon:

Oya what's the correct word then
I don't know the name of the breed in Igbo but I know that anything dog is Nkita in Igbo angry
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by diebuhari1: 10:01pm On Sep 23, 2018
OriNshi!

3 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 23, 2018
Those guys castigating the Dog are the once who cant take good care of Dog both in terms of feeding, bathing, communication etc. They will give the dog amala, eba with sour unpalatable soup in the morning and then, starve the dog untill the night before giving the dog another sacrifice called soaking garri. And you expect the dog to look good and not eat poo.

12 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by okoliobinna84(m): 10:04pm On Sep 23, 2018
This is my own, very intelligent, fun to be with and akpa egwuregwu

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by oweniwe(m): 10:07pm On Sep 23, 2018
Ishilove come and see your pet tongue
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Hollamie007: 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2018
Loved my Ekuke back then it's name was Hero, that dog was so fierce till it left home and never return. Now I have my growing G-shepherd. Her name is

SHINARA kiss kiss
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by KanuJEWSarePIGS: 10:09pm On Sep 23, 2018
Contact us for your "well fed" BINGO .

Buy and call!

Save yourself the headache of searching for a befitting name.

Check picture and place your order!

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by HARDDON: 10:09pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nigerians are true comedians! Through the thick and thin, they still find a way to shine the comic light!

I almost fell off my cliff of swivel chair Laughing my flat a33 out!

4 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by meobizy(f): 10:10pm On Sep 23, 2018
OP didn't include the Calabar name: 404 and street name: Bingo.
Amongst their many properties is their taste. I have not eaten it before but if Calabar people still consume it in this day and time then it is undoubtedly delicious.
The dog, being indigenous to West Africa [OP is wrong in classifying it Nigerian], is highly disease resistant. It can catch rabies but only from other animals.

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 10:18pm On Sep 23, 2018
slade31:
so that you can chop it bah!?

I rather join NPF than eat NSD's

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 23, 2018
A Nigerian shepherd if well-fed ND well taken care off
Makes a nice pet, nD a formidable defence against intruders

All thispple talking, it's as if local dog never pursue una b4

3 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Sunky200: 10:27pm On Sep 23, 2018
my younger sister named my first dog after me G2

I bought this dog from a friend and also lost to same

because my dog left home and took on the role of motherhood for the puppies of her mother after the night watch men shot her which lead to her death few days later

Our local breeds is superb

4 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by etrange: 10:33pm On Sep 23, 2018
OP, there is no breed of dog called Nigerian Shepherd. Stop fabricating names and misleading people. angry

2 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by technicallyrich(m): 10:34pm On Sep 23, 2018
All the igbo speaking tribes,call it nnkita. These dogg is so inteligent and him they always see spirit for night. My neigbour once had it and it always makes me up with its barking at midnight.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by melaninpop: 10:38pm On Sep 23, 2018
Hollamie007:
Loved my Ekuke back then it's name was Hero, that dog was so fierce till it left home and never return. Now I have my growing G-shepherd. Her name is

SHINARA kiss kiss

E don go follow female dog de guard another man compound..... Speaking from experience cheesy

10 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by pazienza(m): 10:42pm On Sep 23, 2018
mightguy:
Nkita is the igbo name for dog and ekuke is actually eke uke. In the olden dayz there is a big market in a kingdom I won't mention their name. Where hunting tools are sold..most especially hunting dogs.... That was where the name eke uke... Became popular. The market still exists till now. They sell dogs there...

Interesting.

Our very own Uke town in Idemili North Anambra.
Haha! Thats cool. Never knew.

6 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Dnevasaynevaguy: 10:43pm On Sep 23, 2018
logadims:
The Nigerian Shepherd also known as Ekuke: The Nigerian Shepherd (Ekuke) is a breed of medium to large-sized working dog. Although, this breed true origin is yet to be recognised, it is assumed that, the breed originated in Nigeria.

The breed’s officially recognized name is Nigerian Shepherd Dog in the English language (sometimes abbreviated as NSD ).

The breed is also known as ([Local dog]-as many will call it, Ekuke, Nkita). The Nigeria. Shepherd is a relatively a very old breed of dog, with their origin yet to be known. As part of the Herding Group, Nigeria Shepherds are working dogs used mostly by hunters and farmers, because of their strength, intelligence, trainability, and obedience.

Although, this breed has been highly neglected, it still posses powerful attribute which includes; disability assistance, search-and-rescue, police and military roles- if given the the opportunity, and even self-tutoring.

The Nigeria Shepherd is the most popular/known breed in Nigeria. It is also the oldest breed of dog in Nigeria(has been in existence before the almagamation of Nigeria) and one of the oldest dog breeds in Africa.
Other Names:
Nigerian shepherd dog
Common Nicknames:
Nkita
Ekuke
Local dog
NSD
Shepherd
Origin: Nigeria
Litter size: 6–13(some, give birth to up to 15 pups)
Characteristics:

https://360dogprof.com/all-about-the-nigeria-shepherd-dog-ekuke/

This OP can lie oh...it's name is the African Mongrel.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by umuna(m): 10:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
dbos11:
Noted

But u forgot to add their best food which is poo

And spoilt beans!
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 23, 2018
They are originally from Asian, stroll down to Africa, people underrate them because they are not aboriginal Caucasian, Asians and African have same small stature, and so our dogs. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Living With Neighbors That Hate Dog. / Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos) / Top 5 Dog Breeds That Are Best For Guarding Nigerian Homes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.