Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles (41901 Views)

Anthony Joshua Knocks Kubrat Pulev Out In The 9th Round / Dillian Whyte Vs Alexander Povetkin On Saturday August 22: Tale Of The Tape / Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by CDCEO001: 8:38am On Sep 23, 2018
TOMMIEYIKES:
Is that not dj cuppy? angry
You circled two faces ooo.
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Afonja007: 8:38am On Sep 23, 2018
SarakiBukola:
Mess with an Afonja guy and get a brain reset @ RadicalFace

We don't do online chest-beating....or steal female dresses to run away at first sign of trouble tongue

Anthony Joshua, Israel Adedayo, Larry Ekundayo keep up flying the Nigerian flag
lol grin grin you mean the one dick tiger started since 1958 even this boy reject his heritage Anthony Joshua no olakunle or wasiu on his name

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by SarakiBukola: 8:40am On Sep 23, 2018
Afonja007:
lol grin grin you mean the one dick tiger started since 1958 even this boy reject his heritage Anthony Joshua no olakunle or wasiu on his name

Pele...RIP.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Ironi: 8:43am On Sep 23, 2018
jerryunit48:
Very good but AJ needs to improve tremendously if he want to keep those belts

I agree, I am a little uncomfortable when watching him , find AJ a little clumsy.

I get the feeling he can easily be knocked out.

Needs to horne his boxing skills.

So far so good, wish him all the best .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 23, 2018
stanley463:
Interesting

5-6odds sure win...
Can u stake high and pay 40% after win?
WhatsApp/call 081-30-72-38-54 if interested

You have gotten here with this scam? Why not stake all ur money than looking for who u wanna do trial and error method with his money.

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by zicoraads: 8:43am On Sep 23, 2018
He should fight either Wilder or Fury to prove his mettle.
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by positivethought: 8:45am On Sep 23, 2018
obembet:
Brtish-born Nigerian heavyweight boxer Anthony Joshua on Saturday night retained his IBF, IBO, WBO and WBA titles after a seventh round stoppage of Russian WBA mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin at the Wembley Stadium in London.

The champion, whose both parents come from Sagamu in Ogun State, dropped Povetkin with a brutal assault in the seventh round and then floored the WBA mandatory challenger again to signal a sudden and dramatic ending to his title defence.

The win, which was watched by an estimated 80,000 fans at Wembley, has thus set the tone for a unification fight in 2019 between Joshua and the winner of the coming bout between British Tyson Fury and American Deontay Wilder, which has been set for December.

The fight had a reported £26m purse with Joshua expected to take home up to £20m while Povetkin will receive £6m.
Povetkin, 39, has thus lost his second fight on his 36th fight. His previous loss came against Vladimir Klitschko in 2013 through unanimous decision. Saturday’s loss was the first time Povetkin would be knocked out in his career.

Povetkin showed early signs of danger by making Joshua stumble in the first round with a wicked left hook before blood poured out of the nose of the champion but Joshua started to dictate the pace as the rounds went on before going on to overpower and knock Povetkin down to the canvas twice in the seventh round.

Joshua praised the Russian challenger, saying the fight was tough but he was happy to achieve his goal.
“First and foremost, everyone here in Wembley, thank you so much! Alexander Povetkin is a very tough challenger and he proved that tonight but I came in here to have fun, do what I’ve been working on in the gym and I did that. I knew he was weak to the head, it could have took seven, nine maybe 10 but all my goal tonight was to be successful,” he told Sky Sports.

“These shorter guys are very good coming through the middle but let’s see what happens now on April 13. There is a lot of pressure; I’m not going to lie to you guys. The whole country is rooting for not just me but David Price, Lawrence Okolie, Matty Askin, Luke Campbell, all of us. A few years ago maybe I wouldn’t have won that fight but that’s credit to all my coaching team.

“It’s about developing and I am in this game to win it and to learn. I’m not too fussed who wins. Good luck to both of them and may the champion bring themselves to the UK and we will have a good dust up.”

Source:
https://punchng.com/joshua-retains-titles-knocks-out-povetkin-after-seven-rounds/

lalasticlala
Congratulations to Josh, but I must say Joshua was too cautious against povetkin almost to his detriment but in the end he got the job done,certainly its going to be a different ball game against wielder,wielder is not a patient fighter but rather a brave brutal fighter that keeps coming at you relentlessly, he is got enormous strength too, his notable weak point is his lack of punch accuracy, Joshua will need to bring out the tiger n lion in him to handle wielder, he will need to stand up to wielder as there will not be any breathing space,with the endurance n perseverance Joshua has shown couple with his good techniques n punch accuracy,all he needs is the lion heart,well I'm hopeful because Joshua analysed povetkin well during one of his pre fight interview n I'm sure his team will also do a good job on wielder so that at the end, the vociferous boastful American will be shut up for once.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by salford1: 8:50am On Sep 23, 2018
TOMMIEYIKES:
New boyfriend loading ........
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Yeecar(m): 8:50am On Sep 23, 2018
SarakiBukola:

We don't do online chest-beating....or steal female dresses to run away at first sign of trouble tongue

You are saying all this obviously because he won the fight.
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Coolbreeze1988(m): 8:51am On Sep 23, 2018
Radicalface:
correct @fonja dude.. this one no be like those ones were full for south west wer dem own muscle na for mouth e der ... der go just der shout upandan before fight ,, throw punch na ,, for where!
At least him be Afonja

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Africanbest(m): 8:54am On Sep 23, 2018
iamfromlagos:
lmao! You are wicked.
You know Joshua money long pass DJ cuppy papa money, so Asa Asika no get level
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by pweshboi(m): 8:56am On Sep 23, 2018
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-rs_Ic_HY

Anthony Joshua Vs Povetkin Knockout Highlights 2018 HD

Bro thanks for this link.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 23, 2018
Champ!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by MuttleyLaff: 8:57am On Sep 23, 2018
Horus:
h t t ps://youtu.be/4x-rs_Ic_HY

Anthony Joshua Vs Povetkin Knockout Highlights 2018 HD
Povetkin had a good fight with AJ,
I saw small flashes of the way Mike Tyson fights, in how Povetkin fought last night though.
Povetkin, a bit, reminded me of how Mike Tyson fought when he was invincible and terrorising
Remember the Mike Tyson & Trevor Berbick fight. Phew!

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Deepfreezer(m): 8:58am On Sep 23, 2018
Cuppy wants AJ s dicck so bad. I can see it in his eyes. But AJ is so cool headed to fvck with her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by persius555(m): 8:59am On Sep 23, 2018
positivethought:
Congratulations to Josh, but I must say Joshua was too cautious against povetkin almost to his detriment but in the end he got the job done,certainly its going to be a different ball game against wielder,wielder is not a patient fighter but rather a brave brutal fighter that keeps coming at you relentlessly, he is got enormous strength too, his notable weak point is his lack of punch accuracy, Joshua will need to bring out the tiger n lion in him to handle wielder, he will need to stand up to wielder as there will not be any breathing space,with the endurance n perseverance Joshua has shown couple with his good techniques n punch accuracy,all he needs is the lion heart,well I'm hopeful because Joshua analysed povetkin well during one of his pre fight interview n I'm sure his team will also do a good job on wielder so that at the end, the vociferous boastful American will be shut up for once.

AJs strong foot is ability to take punches. A lot of analysts ignore this when analyzing a fighter. A complete fighter must have the ability to take punches and stand firm, at the same time hit hard when it matters most.

Deontay Wilder is a clumsy fighter and if he can hit AJ the hardest and he stands his ground, he better watch out for AJs accurate right punches because that is his greatest advantage.

AJ vs Wilder is going to be a match between a dirty fighter that can overwhelm a boxer and a boxer(AJ) that can take accurate damaging shots when the opportunity opens up. So long as AJ can keep his composure and wear out wilder, the Alabama Black Bear will cave in time. Besides, Wilder doesn't fight with a great composure, he is too much in a hurry to get the job done.

AJ is more than a job. He is a herculean task

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by lastempero: 9:03am On Sep 23, 2018
Joshua has greatly improved,good body movements.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by afamaustin(m): 9:05am On Sep 23, 2018
If AJ was to be a woman l most marry her
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Alamoo: 9:07am On Sep 23, 2018
Keep the flag flying brother. At least, like you said, for the next ten years.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by 9gerian: 9:11am On Sep 23, 2018
Not true bro! If you say the guy didn’t get the help of enhancement drugs; maybe and maybe not.

This fight was about the toughest Joshua ever had, and that’s why the level of preparation Joshua had to subject himself to; a huge step up. Usually, when you prepare well, an exam begins to look too cheap; especially if everything works in your favor.

The way I see it Povetkin meant to cause an upset, hence risking it all to take down Joshua early. A part of that risk cost Povetkin the knockout.

Kudos to the champion!

Etizz:
Legend destroyer.... I think it's high time he fights young blood.... Povetkin is a Lil bit too old for him.... Wilder will be a step ahead

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Horus(m): 9:14am On Sep 23, 2018
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Seun360(m): 9:16am On Sep 23, 2018
Radicalface:
correct @fonja dude.. this one no be like those ones were full for south west wer dem own muscle na for mouth e der ... der go just der shout upandan before fight ,, throw punch na ,, for where!

List combatants from ur region make I list the ones from Yoruba extraction.

Joshua, Afolabi, Ajose, Dosunmu, Henry Akinwande.

All held world titles at a certain point.

Oya, List yours?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Survjosh: 9:24am On Sep 23, 2018
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by hush15: 9:30am On Sep 23, 2018
klax:
Naturally this guy is very strong I'm not saying they can't beat him but he is a very strong guy. Kudos bro you are super doing us great. Keep the spirit high we are behind you solidly.

you are right. His enduring ability to much pain till his opponent is weary then throwing the ultimate punch is his gameplan always.

but he doesnt need to get to round 7 to do that. If he meets and enduring fighter like him, its trouble for him. he needs to learn to round fights as quick as possible. if possible the first round sef. that way, he preserves himself cos all these punch he dey absorb, hope he understands the impact at older ages

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by deavicky(m): 9:39am On Sep 23, 2018
SarakiBukola:

which Nigeria?. U dey see British boxer u call am Nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by FitnessAndGoodL: 9:41am On Sep 23, 2018
cool
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by deavicky(m): 9:42am On Sep 23, 2018
Cholls:
my brother d oyinbo fighter think say Aj na Samuel
Peters. Olodo!
no talk oh. Samuel peter get batta job now oh. He is the body guard of former Governor of Akwa Ibom state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Callmeazmarshal(m): 9:43am On Sep 23, 2018
Congrats AJ
Confirm it's a Blast ���
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by femi4: 9:56am On Sep 23, 2018
TOMMIEYIKES:

Modified ********
She's the one angry
To cuppy this tune.... grin

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Yomit71(m): 10:06am On Sep 23, 2018
Hod bless Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Horus(m): 10:12am On Sep 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hiI8n1Z4o

Anthony Joshua POST FIGHT PRESS CONFERENCE vs. Alexander Povetkin
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by davillian(m): 10:14am On Sep 23, 2018
dbynonetwork:
A very Dull fight.....i will respect AJ when he knocks out deotney wilder..

AJ's is product of an organized and we'll developed country with good sports infrastructure ... Nigeria should stop claiming him.
I'm with you on this one
The only fight I want to see right now is deontey Vs Joshua.
My opinion deontey punches holds so much power that even with guide the impact is fetal.
The real definition of ko can be seen In deonteys wilder knockouts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cameroon Separatists Bomb AFCON Host City, Limbe / Lionel Messi Shares Christmas Photo With His Family As They Pose With Santa / Guess The Player From The Goal Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.