Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,001 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It (29589 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 23, 2018
ollah2:

Lol. It will take a decade for you to unlearn this nonsense

I know
Tragic, really
When you consider that most likely more than 100 million Nigerians are this way, you just about want to break your head in despair
And we are all "educated" (meanwhile we lack knowledge like crazy)
Chai

(Modified) @ ollah2, I just read a bit of you now, and see you actively insult Christianity? I hope you know Islam is just as foreign and as scamful and as heritage sapping? It is arguably even more dangerous as it breeds ideologies that have people killed even as we "speak" (leaving all the atrocities commited in the name of "God" by the two religions in the past) Just checking
Cheers

https://archive.org/details/intellectual_slavery_the_worst_legacy_of_colonialism

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by musicwriter(m): 9:45pm On Sep 23, 2018
Next2Bezee:

I agree that ignorance is bliss, but denial is just pitiful.

Aboriginal people like you, who are rolling themselves in the primitive ways of the dead ancestors, are part of the reasons why Nigeria is still a 3RD WORLD country.

Keep carrying tradition on your head. The smart Nigerians have discarded the rubbish and left the failing country, while you are looking for who will give you beer and 100 naira before they can marry your pikin.

Please, continue.

But the first world countries are those that has kept their tradition from generation to generation. How about that?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
LZAA:

Look as a biafran lemme say this
Only a greedy parent will charge u stupidly for marrying his daughter
Even chi that is talking,i'm sure her parents received a minimal bride price
U cannot copy a white man's life to the detriment of your own
Look at china,japan and india
All took the white man's tech yet their traditions remain till this day
Don't be deceived

And my lost faith is restored
Now my hope is renewed
Thank you for your delightful post, it gives life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by LZAA: 9:59pm On Sep 23, 2018
Hcqmela:
Thats a big lie cos it's the Calabars n Efik that does that so stop generalizing it that it's the south south n whereas I didn't see where she mentioned Igho or any ethnic group at all that should stop it instead she said bride price should just be abolished. She's even cool that she just said bride price because to me traditional marriage itself should be put to an end or if they are still willing to continue the practice a lot of customs that pertains the traditional rites in doing the marriage should be adjusted in a way it will favour both sexes since its Humans that created the tradition n as well still change it.Be it Radical or Liberal Feminism trys to seek the rights of both gender. I respect this woman a lot
Feminism for both genders?
Lols wateva pleases u bro
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 23, 2018
Next2Bezee:

Where are the ancestors? Yeah, they're dead.

What did they know about Quantum Computing?
What did they know about Astro Physics?
What do they know about the curiosity mars rover?

Yes, I am wiser than them.

If you refuse to move forward with the world, stay in 13th century, but don't drag everyone down with you.

Because you are so in the know, please do a quick read of this free book-
https://archive.org/details/intellectual_slavery_the_worst_legacy_of_colonialism
The bibliography will also take you places
Maybe your quantum curiousity cheesy can be put to good, more real use
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Mankosi: 10:07pm On Sep 23, 2018
Is she alright?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by kayalla(f): 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2018
that one na her talk, she should return her own.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nazae(f): 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2018
The way people voice out their personal opinions and expect people to take on that same mentality is amazing. If bride price to you means that the bride is being sold or otherwise, just keep it to yourself. When you want to marry, do it your own way. Chimamanda Adichie is beginning to misuse the voice she has in the society and it is really bad.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by dannybomb(m): 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2018
Simplep:
Ok o grin
am waiting for the list
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by dannybomb(m): 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2018
Simplep:
Ok o grin
am waiting for the list
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 23, 2018
Haywhaie:
What kind of clown is this now? And to think you had the temerity to type the word "myopic" in response to me?

What is that shįt up there? Because, according to your irrational anecdotal evidence, Christianity is "proven", while the rest are not, that automatically excludes it from the definition of religion? What kind of "logic" is that? Any education system designed by your like would have long destroyed the human race.

What a ridiculous and fantatiscally cretinous way of preaching your own RELIGIOUS exceptionalism. Disappointing attempt. Awful fail.

A Muslim also believes that Islam is proven and is based on "FACTS" (the kind of kindergarten "facts" that only exist in your delusional worlds), while Christianity is not. So, going by your logic, he's entitled to calling Islam a way of life only, since it is ipso facto no longer a religion.

This is irrational claptrap. Don't try it in Philosophy class. Anthropology class. Sociology class. Or any other Humanities class. You'll only get a score much worse than your already terrible IQ digit. Your efforts to "prove" how Christianity is not a religion is laughable at best and intellectually offensive at worst.

This is no kind of objective evidence. It is personal madness inspired by Christianity, which very much remains a religion.

See ya when you've got something meaningful to tell me, buddy.

PS: I saw no reason to reply to your claim that Christianity has no rituals or "code of operations", because I decided to see that as a joke. I hope you'll unlearn how to post that kind of extraordinary shįt next time you decide to quote me with bollocks.

Like I said earlier, your approach to this argument is very myopic but largely not your fault. You are just simply ignorant.
If I choose for instance to withhold any evidence in support of whatsoever claims I make, it would at worst make my claims lose its trustworthiness as an arguement, but it will never detract from its truthfulness. The fact will always remain true and unmoved irrespective of whether it is accepted as truth or not. Truth does not need to speak loud. It stands the test of time. I enjoy seeing arrogant people like yourself wallow in their shortsightedness and ignorance. It gives me great pleasure.

You can call Christianity whatever you like. Call it a religion, a cult etc... If it meets certain criteria to qualify as religion by you, then fine. I have outlined what qualifies as religion to me and from what I have realised, Christianity does not qualify as one.

But what shocked me most about your comment was the gibberish about IQ. I have not met a smart person that brags about his IQ. You are probably frustrated because you did not make the cut to study law or some highly prived courses in the university and as a result, you probably ended with philosophy or so.

Do not be quick to elevate yourself ahead of people you don’t know their achievements. What some people have achieved, you probably might never come closegrin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Haywhaie(m): 10:40pm On Sep 23, 2018
DanXplore:

[s]Like I said earlier, your approach to this argument is very myopic but largely not your fault. You are just simply ignorant.
If I choose for instance to withhold any evidence in support of whatsoever claims I make, it would at worst make my claims lose its trustworthiness as an arguement, but it will never detract from its truthfulness. The fact will always remain true and unmoved irrespective of whether it is accepted as truth or not. Truth does not need to speak loud. It stands the test of time. I enjoy seeing arrogant people like yourself wallow in their shortsightedness and ignorance. It gives me great pleasure.

You can call Christianity whatever you like. Call it a religion, a cult etc... If it meets certain criteria to qualify as religion by you, then fine. I have outlined what qualifies as religion to me and from what I have realised, Christianity does not qualify as one.

But what shocked me most about your comment was the gibberish about IQ. I have not met a smart person that brags about his IQ. You are probably frustrated because you did not make the cut to study law or some highly prived courses in the university and as a result, you probably ended with philosophy or so.

Do not be quick to elevate yourself ahead of people you don’t know their achievements. What some people have achieved, you probably might never come closegrin[/s]
The same level of retardation as before. Say something stupid that I've never seen before.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 23, 2018
Haywhaie:
The same level of retardation as before. Say something stupid that I've never seen before.

Like I said earlier, your approach to this argument is very myopic but largely not your fault. You are just simply ignorant.

Do not be quick to elevate yourself ahead of people you don’t know their achievements. What some people have achieved, you probably might never come closegrin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by musicwriter(m): 10:47pm On Sep 23, 2018
Next2Bezee:

Where are the ancestors? Yeah, they're dead.

What did they know about Quantum Computing?
What did they know about Astro Physics?
What do they know about the curiosity mars rover?

Yes, I am wiser than them.

If you refuse to move forward with the world, stay in 13th century, but don't drag everyone down with you.

Physics was used to build the Egyptian pyramid here in Africa when Europeans didn't know how to read and write.

The Dogons (Malian tribe) knew beyond Mars. Thousands of years aga when there were no Astrophysicist in Europe, the Dogons already mapped out the trajectory of the star Sirius A & B. It was only in 1972 or there about that western science knew the star indeed existed.

During slavery and colonialism history was re-written, erasing everything suggesting black power in order to keep your brain dead about your true past.

Everything white people told you about ancient Africa and your ancestors is a lie to bring you down, to impose on you the wrong perception you have now, to bring you to your knees in a form of intellectual slavery. This's the only way they would have you hate yourself and worship them instead.

Learn the true history of Africa and the greatness of our ancestors https://www.nairaland.com/4705867/learn-true-history-africa-see

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Haywhaie(m): 10:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
DanXplore:

[s]Like I said earlier, your approach to this argument is very myopic but largely not your fault. You are just simply ignorant.

Do not be quick to elevate yourself ahead of people you don’t know their achievements. What some people have achieved, you probably might never come closegrin[/s]
I can imagine how much time it took you to type this shįt. You must have done a lot of rehearsal. So, unable to come up with anything spontaneously, you just had to repost the same old crap.

I sympathize with your mental inadequacy. You're too intellectually handicapped not to be deserving of pity.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 23, 2018
Haywhaie:
I can imagine how much time it took you to type this shįt. You must have done a lot of rehearsal. So, unable to come up with anything spontaneously, you just had to repost the same old crap.

I sympathize with your mental inadequacy. You're too intellectually handicapped not to be deserving of pity.

Do not be quick to elevate yourself ahead of people you don’t know their achievements. What some people have achieved, you probably might never come close
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by dasparrow: 11:22pm On Sep 23, 2018
I agree with Chimamanda. Period, end of discussion.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Next2Bezee(m): 11:31pm On Sep 23, 2018
musicwriter:

[s]Physics was used to build the Egyptian pyramid here in Africa when Europeans didn't know how to read and write.

The Dogons (Malian tribe) knew beyond Mars. Thousands of years aga when there were no Astrophysicist in Europe, the Dogons already mapped out the trajectory of the star Sirius A & B. It was only in 1972 or there about that western science knew the star indeed existed.

During slavery and colonialism history was re-written, erasing everything suggesting black power in order to keep your brain dead about your true past. [/s]

Everything white people told you about ancient Africa and your ancestors is a lie to bring you down, to impose on you the wrong perception you have now, to bring you to your knees in a form of intellectual slavery. This's the only way they would have you hate yourself and worship them instead.

Learn the true history of Africa and the greatness of our ancestors https://www.nairaland.com/4705867/learn-true-history-africa-see

I don't see any links you provide to back up your claim that your primitive ancestors, who thought it right to sell their daughters to men for foodstuff and money, actually contributed anything to the world.

Keep consoling yourself. At least these pitiful traditions can use the likes of you to stay afloat for a few more years, before everyone grows out of it. Many smart Nigerians have already abandoned them.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by musicwriter(m): 11:54pm On Sep 23, 2018
Next2Bezee:

I don't see any links you provide to back up your claim that your primitive ancestors, who thought it right to sell their daughters to men for foodstuff and money, actually contributed anything to the world.

Keep consoling yourself. At least these pitiful traditions can use the likes of you to stay afloat for a few more years, before everyone grows out of it. Many smart Nigerians have already abandoned them.

I challenge you to do the research yourself. Go to google.com or YouTube and search "dogon cosmology" or "the dogons and Sirius star" then follow the lead.

They literally hold your mind hostage at this moment and there's no way we're going to move forward when you continue to think you are worth nothing but what the Europeans would have you believe in the so called education.

Slavery is a European invention. Slavery had been going on in Europe for over 2,000 years before the Europeans arrived Africa. When slavery ended in Europe, the Europeans simply moved their trade to Africa and other continents. See the true history of slavery and slave acquisition in Africa www.africason.com/2016/03/the-true-history-of-slavery-and-slave.html

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Next2Bezee(m): 12:09am On Sep 24, 2018
musicwriter:

I challenge you to do the research yourself. Go to google.com or YouTube and search "dogon cosmology" or "the dogons and Sirius star" then follow the lead.

They literally hold your mind hostage at this moment and there's no way we're going to move forward when you continue to think you are worth nothing but what the Europeans would have you believe in the so called education.

Slavery is a European invention. Slavery had been going on in Europe for over 2,000 years before the Europeans arrived Africa. When slavery ended in Europe, the Europeans simply moved their trade to Africa and other continents. See the true history of slavery and slave acquisition in Africa www.africason.com/2016/03/the-true-history-of-slavery-and-slave.html

Boko Haram translates from Hausa to mean "Western education is a sin". Don't misidentify yourself because you're trying to argue that slavery, in the form of bride prices, should be allowed because the Europeans did it too.

Because the lady I'd marry is worth everything to me, I'd never reduce her worth to yam, wine, cornflakes, and money in the name of tradition—no matter what you say.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by musicwriter(m): 12:24am On Sep 24, 2018
Next2Bezee:

Boko Haram translates from Hausa to mean "Western education is a sin". Don't misidentify yourself because you're trying to argue that slavery, in the form of bride prices, should be allowed because the Europeans did it too.

Because the lady I'd marry is worth everything to me, I'd never reduce her worth to yam, wine, cornflakes, and money in the name of tradition—no matter what you say.

I only replied cause you think your ancestors were savages who didn't achieve anything. If you're no longer on that discussion then count me out, but you seriously need to go check history to know where Africans are coming from versus Europeans.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Fawklicant: 12:25am On Sep 24, 2018
Chimamanda will you keep quiet already. Why do people feel that advances in civilization and technology should make us obliterate culture and tradition?
How does bride price ruin things? It only does when greedy people are involved.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by mrtomola(m): 9:14am On Sep 24, 2018
newdawn2017:
also d Riverine tribes of Rivers state, everything u go buy nor bi child's o!

lol...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by tessyluv24(f): 11:35am On Sep 24, 2018
what pple dont knw is dat dis bride price of a tin might just b a 1k. But pple mk it look like its 1million.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Herrmes: 12:27pm On Sep 24, 2018
Xavier5:
The issue of bride price is a cultural thing. There are societies and cultures that allows/ practice it (African Society) and there are cultures and societies that doesn't allow or permit it (Western Worlds). Coming down to those that allows it, there are cultures and societies that mandates only men to pay bride price (African Society) whereas there are cultures and societies that mandates only women to pay bride price (Indian Society).
So you see, paying of bride price is a cultural thing. If your culture permits you as a man or woman to pay bride price, my friend do it, but if your culture doesn't permit you to pay it, good for you.

The opinion of one person can't change the cultural practice of a society. Because you aren't a fan of it, doesn't mean, they aren't people who aren't fans of it.
If she isn't a fan of bride price, (well that's her opinion), she should deal with it because Cultures and traditions won't change because of her.

I that isn't a fan of homosexualism and that always kicks against it, has that made it to be abolished? Of course not, likewise she not being a fan of bride price payment doesn't mean bride price should be abolished, It is a practice of the African culture and society. Let her deal with it.

I'm a fan of Chimamanda Adichie but sometimes she dey fvck up sha.

#Xavier.
World is moving and changing bro, her opinion might not change anything rn, but it's a seed, will provoke thought in a lot of people then it turns to action, next thing we're deliberating on how to abolish bride price, because I'm sure there are people that her opinion resonates with, let me not get ahead of myself.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Herrmes: 12:37pm On Sep 24, 2018
Xavier5:

The opinion of one person doesn't warrant the change of cultures and customs of a society okay. If you are so interested in aborting customs, why don't you start from homosexuality to pedophilism to pornography to abortion to nudity and immorality to human sacrifice to jungle justice to corruption and oppression etc
The customs that we should abolish, we aren't abolishing it, rather it is the ones that doesn't need to be abolished, that's the one that needs to be abolished.

Misplaced priorities everywhere.

#Xavier.
Irrespective of how you look at it, there's that part of the man's mind that tells him he's acquiring property and it's a trade when he pays bride price, just to be with a female for the rest of his life and that female with him, females are not property, they don't have to submit, it should be a mutual understanding between the partners on how the relationship is going to proceed, societal laws don't mean anything if they are not made for the benefit of those in the society, the ones that benefit from that particular norm are not the ones who are to be together, otherwise it's just tyranny and a headache, most people don't enjoy doing it, why do it?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Ndipe(m): 6:37pm On Sep 24, 2018
It's just a token, afterall, the bride's family is the one who prepares food to serve the guests on the traditional marriage day.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by ollah2: 9:34pm On Sep 24, 2018
merahki:

I know
Tragic, really
When you consider that most likely more than 100 million Nigerians are this way, you just about want to break your head in despair
And we are all "educated" (meanwhile we lack knowledge like crazy)
Chai

(Modified) @ ollah2, I just read a bit of you now, and see you actively insult Christianity? I hope you know Islam is just as foreign and as scamful and as heritage sapping? It is arguably even more dangerous as it breeds ideologies that have people killed even as we "speak" (leaving all the atrocities commited in the name of "God" by the two religions in the past) Just checking cheesy
Cheers

You must have read of me with one eyes closed. Open the two damn eyes and read again
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Herrmes: 9:42pm On Sep 24, 2018
Nazae:
The way people voice out their personal opinions and expect people to take on that same mentality is amazing. If bride price to you means that the bride is being sold or otherwise, just keep it to yourself. When you want to marry, do it your own way. Chimamanda Adichie is beginning to misuse the voice she has in the society and it is really bad.
Who is the one saying she's using the voice she has, if it's not those that don't agree with her?
Do you get my point?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 24, 2018
ollah2:

You must have read of me with one eyes closed. Open the two damn eyes and read again

(Face palm moment)
I guess I did not, I read only a few
You know what though? I am gonna open my two eyes and wear my damn glasses giving me four good eyes
So that I will not be "saying" "damn" rubbish about you again
Seriously shaa, forgive me for the mistake/assumption
Cheers, and stay woke (this now cliche that I have used only about a couple of times or so is sooo apt now)
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by piamily(f): 1:24am On Sep 26, 2018
Ayodele70:
Nigerian writer, speaker, and activist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has weighed in on the idea of bride price in Nigerian marriages.

She had an evening with some young people in Lagos yesterday, and someone asked a question about bride price.

According to her, her dad didn't receive any bride price during her wedding, he just collected 10kobo to make it symbolic.

She also revealed she is not a fan of bride price because it ruins things.

She said'

"I am not a fan of bride price. I think we should get rid of the whole idea of money in marriage, it ruins things. We are not selling anybody".

Watch the videos here; https://www.amagitesblog.com/2018/09/i-am-not-a-fan-of-bride-price-we-should-get-rid-of-it-chimamanda-adichie.html

Only guys will support this post
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Ndipe(m): 4:31am On Sep 26, 2018
Bride price is just a token to symbolize the man's position as the head/provider of the family. At first I was against it, but now, I am in support of it. The groom pays the sum and the bride's family gives her out with dowry, we call it mkpo ndung ufok like bed, fridge, cooking pots . . . so it kind of equalizes it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Twisted Love / Awaken: Divine Hunter / Getting A Life- Safarigirl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.