Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 (2714 Views)

Advice On Toyota Avalon 2002 Model Car / Decision On Toyota Avalon 2002 / Need Help On The Type Of Mobile Oil To Use On My Avalon 2002 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by demulepaul: 4:28pm On Sep 26, 2018
Plz help, Recommend best Engine oil to use in Avalon 2002. My friend is using ANDRENALIN 20W/50 Engine oil in his Avalon, pls is it good to use
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by nurey(m): 5:30pm On Sep 26, 2018
your recommended engine oil is 5w30 oil weight. Just ensure you buy from reputable manufacturer with good reviews not emeka and sons oil 5w30 or baba sue engine oil 5w30.
all these Mobil, fort oil, total etc are reputable companies. The oil is expensive but it will protect your engine for years.

don't just go and buy any Mobil or total oil ensure it is 5w30 synthetic oil.

1 Like

Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by demulepaul: 2:19am On Sep 27, 2018
nurey:
your recommended engine oil is 5w30 oil weight. Just ensure you buy from reputable manufacturer with good reviews not emeka and sons oil 5w30 or baba sue engine oil 5w30.
all these Mobil, fort oil, total etc are reputable companies. The oil is expensive but it will protect your engine for years.

Thanks so much
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by Nobody: 4:40am On Sep 27, 2018
nurey:

True but 5liter na 15k o
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by nurey(m): 6:35am On Sep 27, 2018
Pipedreams:

True but 5liter na 15k o
The thing don come down sef grin
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by demulepaul: 9:26pm On Sep 27, 2018
nurey:

The thing don come down sef grin
15k is too much for this Buhari season. pls any other Engine oil type recommend to use and my friend who has been using ANDRENALIN 20w50 engine oil is asking if he can switch to normal 5W30 oil pls help
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 9:59pm On Sep 27, 2018
demulepaul:
15k is too much for this Buhari season. pls any other Engine oil type recommend to use and my friend who has been using ANDRENALIN 20w50 engine oil is asking if he can switch to normal 5W30 oil pls help

I would love to recommend my USA spec Mobil oil 5quarts for 17500k. Like u said it's too expensive .but due to wrong use of oil from the start, am sure the engine has valve, piston worn out ..so any good oil will likely coz oil shorten, more like medication after death... your friend should just manage am like that, too late for good oil ,damage is likely done
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:27pm On Sep 27, 2018
demulepaul:

hahahahahahaha, it's too much shey.... lolz

and the 14500 own isn't the standard one oh, na just naija makeshift synthetic....

original yankee own is close to 20k

and ur friend must use this 20k oil by fire by force.....

how long has he owned the vehicle... and did he buy as a first user in naija?
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by nurey(m): 10:30pm On Sep 27, 2018
demulepaul:

You can try MRS full synthetic 5L 5w40 at 12500 naira for your own case.

For your friend he should buy 5w30 or 10w30 preferable he buys 10w30 first and test on his engine before switching to 5w30. if the 10w30 doesn't short oil excessively and no smoke from exhaust then he is good to go next oil change he can then try 5w30. But he must ensure the oil is mineral not synthetic.

mineral oil 5w30 or 10w30 not synthetic blend to before warned is to before harmed.

1 Like

Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by demulepaul: 2:17am On Sep 28, 2018
dru23:

I would love to recommend my USA spec Mobil oil 5quarts for 17500k. Like u said it's too expensive .but due to wrong use of oil from the start, am sure the engine has valve, piston worn out ..so any good oil will likely coz oil shorten, more like medication after death... your friend should just manage am like that, too late for good oil ,damage is likely done
am sure the engine has valve, piston worn out ..so any good oil will likely coz oil shorten, more like medication after death...

He's not experiencing any of these things you mentioned here, he's car fire like Turbo. can he switch to 5w30 on his next oil change
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 3:17am On Sep 28, 2018
demulepaul:
am sure the engine has valve, piston worn out ..so any good oil will likely coz oil shorten, more like medication after death...

He's not experiencing any of these things you mentioned here, he's car fire like Turbo. can he switch to 5w30 on his next oil change

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobiloil.com/en&ved=2ahUKEwjjzK6V0NzdAhWSd98KHQRFA5cQFjAAegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw0Dv5TcMz1l14wPSpcz3-lg&cshid=1538100927904

Yes he can switch... just go to the link above and it tells you the rite oil for your car ..very easy to follow ..and keep in mind you will need a good oil filter too ..
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 3:30am On Sep 28, 2018
nurey:

For your friend he should buy 5w30 or 10w30 preferable he buys 10w30 first and test on his engine before switching to 5w30. if the 10w30 doesn't short oil excessively and no smoke from exhaust then he is good to go next oil change he can then try 5w30. But he must ensure the oil is mineral not synthetic.

mineral oil 5w30 or 10w30 not synthetic blend to before warned is to before harmed.

As long as the engine is good, the valves ,pcv valves, and pistons and no sign of sludge or abuse ..he can use full synthetic.....
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by nurey(m): 5:40am On Sep 28, 2018
dru23:

As long as the engine is good, the valves ,pcv valves, and pistons and no sign of sludge or abuse ..he can use full synthetic.....

do you think he would be willing to open up the engine to confirm all these. Even the name of the oil brand used says a lot about the maintenance culture of the owner
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by demulepaul: 2:51pm On Sep 28, 2018
dru23:

Plz is Mobil 1 5w30 ok to use

Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by nurey(m): 3:56pm On Sep 28, 2018
demulepaul:

this is the naija version

cc sooperrescue
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2018
demulepaul:

Sorry for the late response.... Am not sure bro , I have never used it before and I can't vouch for something that I never used.. I only use USA spec Mobil 1 and I also sell them ...

Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by demulepaul: 11:41pm On Sep 28, 2018
dru23:

Sorry for the late response.... Am not sure bro , I have never used it before and I can't vouch for something that I never used.. I only use USA spec Mobil 1 and I also sell them ...
How much for this
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 1:27am On Sep 29, 2018
demulepaul:
How much for this

Starting on Oct 1st to October 5th the price will be 17k ...please keep in mind this is USA spec and I have one of the lowest price available... with extended performance you are guaranteed 15k miles of oil protection.... Please make sure you use good synthetic oil filter... Google is your friend... for more information you can reach me at dru23@hotmail.com
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 1:31am On Sep 29, 2018
nurey:

do you think he would be willing to open up the engine to confirm all these. Even the name of the oil brand used says a lot about the maintenance culture of the owner

My brother if the manufacture states that you should 5w20 or 5w30, why deviate from the manufacture instructions or advice.. Does he know better than the car company....
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 1:36am On Sep 29, 2018
nurey:

Are you aware that oil shorten is caused by poor oil quality and and not changing the oil frequently... so even if he uses 10w30 because of oil shorten, it is a matter of time before the engine finally gives up..you are basically putting a band-aid to the problem... this is from experience,
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by nurey(m): 2:51am On Sep 29, 2018
dru23:

My brother if the manufacture states that you should 5w20 or 5w30, why deviate from the manufacture instructions or advice.. Does he know better than the car company....

we are talking head you are talking tail. Don't only recommend things because you want to make sale recommend based on good intention.

If the engine has sludge and he uses synthetic oil that may be the beginning of the end for that engine. its even better he continues to utilise mineral oil and change regularly
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 4:33am On Sep 29, 2018
nurey:

we are talking head you are talking tail. Don't only recommend things because you want to make sale recommend based on good intention.

If the engine has sludge and he uses synthetic oil that may be the beginning of the end for that engine. its even better he continues to utilise mineral oil and change regularly

According to the young man, the engine is fine and fires like turbo.. At the beginning I stated that he should not switch to Mobil, for the fact that he has has been using the wrong oil from the get go ...he than stated that the engine is fine and fires like turbo... I than said yes if that is the case to switch Mobil oil...
From my observation if you been using the wrong oil from day one ,chances are the engine will have issues like worn pistons, seal etc ..depending on the extent of the engine damage the use of full synthetic oil might be too late, because the oil will be just be shorten ,it is basically medication after the death ,so the best thing to do is to change the damage parts like pistons, valves, seals and rings etc that is only if the engine has not yet knocked.. Now using another oil grade just buys you time till the engine finally gives up ... and also Mobil extended performance oil is formulated to clean the sludge as the car is working ..keep in mind that you will need a good synthetic oil filter. A good oil filter will able to store the sludge oil and dirt . And it prevent the oil and dirt from been recycle back into the engine.

The key here is to take proper care from the jump start.. If proper oil and oil change was done they won't be any major issues.. But Nigerians we like to save money ,well we think we saving money.. Not knowing in the long run that we end up paying more.. My brother am not forcing anyone to buy my oil ..my oil will only benefit car owners that are constance with their oil change and doing basic maintenance .... Depending on the damage of the engine, synthetic oil will not be make any sense until those problems are fix ....this is Base from experience and observations....
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by nurey(m): 7:15am On Sep 29, 2018
dru23:

According to the young man, the engine is fine and fires like turbo.. At the beginning I stated that he should not switch to Mobil, for the fact that he has has been using the wrong oil from the get go ...he than stated that the engine is fine and fires like turbo... I than said yes if that is the case to switch Mobil oil...
From my observation if you been using the wrong oil from day one ,chances are the engine will have issues like worn pistons, seal etc ..depending on the extent of the engine damage the use of full synthetic oil might be too late, because the oil will be just be shorten ,it is basically medication after the death ,so the best thing to do is to change the damage parts like pistons, valves, seals and rings etc that is only if the engine has not yet knocked.. Now using another oil grade just buys you time till the engine finally gives up ... and also Mobil extended performance oil is formulated to clean the sludge as the car is working ..keep in mind that you will need a good synthetic oil filter. A good oil filter will able to store the sludge oil and dirt . And it prevent the oil and dirt from been recycle back into the engine.

The key here is to take proper care from the jump start.. If proper oil and oil change was done they won't be any major issues.. But Nigerians we like to save money ,well we think we saving money.. Not knowing in the long run that we end up paying more.. My brother am not forcing anyone to buy my oil ..my oil will only benefit car owners that are constance with their oil change and doing basic maintenance .... Depending on the damage of the engine, synthetic oil will not be make any sense until those problems are fix ....this is Base from experience and observations....

good now we are getting somewhere.

since the owner would not be willing to tear down his engine and check for weak seals and valves the best path for him to tow would be change of oil, incase you don't know 5w30 and 10w30 are available in mineral oil not only synthetic.

synthetic have detergent that washes off sludge which eventually cloth valves starving engine of oil. But with mineral oil he is safe he just have to check for oil shortage and smoke if he notices both he should maintain his 20w50 until engine dies or if he can afford a replacement/rebuild.
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 7:54am On Sep 29, 2018
nurey:

good now we are getting somewhere.

since the owner would not be willing to tear down his engine and check for weak seals and valves the best path for him to tow would be change of oil, incase you don't know 5w30 and 10w30 are available in mineral oil not only synthetic.

synthetic have detergent that washes off sludge which eventually cloth valves starving engine of oil. But with mineral oil he is safe he just have to check for oil shortage and smoke if he notices both he should maintain his 20w50 until engine dies or if he can afford a replacement/rebuild.

But if you read the post very well .. I told to stick to whatever he was using ,since he started with 20w50 ,which is completely bad and chances are few things will be worn out... but he reply me that the engine is very ok and fine ..that the car turbos very well ,so that his why I said he use synethic oil... bottom line the car is too old, maybe if he gets a very good tokunbo car from 04 upwards with good milage, he than can use full synthetic.. At least he can take care of the car from the get go...
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by fabienjoe: 11:46am On Sep 29, 2018
I've read a lot about oils recommended for cars both online and in car manuals, nowhere is 20W50 oil demonized as in Nigeria. I know about newer engines and narrower tolerances and more intricate parts, necessitating the use of thinner oils for proper lubrication, hence the 5W30 recommendation for most of them. However, one of the major reasons for this choice is the operating temperature. Most manuals would state that using thicker oils in cold regions of the world could lead to more engine wear at cold temperatures of Europe and many parts of the US especially on cold start. My car manual, though recommended 5W30, didn't outrightly prohibit 20W50. My major point of disagreement is the suggestion by many here that environmental temperature has nothing to do with choice of oil. They easily point to hot parts of the US and the middle East where the same recommended thin oil is used. My answer still is that the same manual does not expressly ban thicker oil, only a caution on use in cold climate...and oh yes, temperature has everything to do with it. In fact if 20W50 is as bad as being portrayed here, many Nigerians cannot keep their cars for more than 3 years...I know most have kept theirs for more than 10 years' using 20W50 with no major engine issues.

You can't discount temperature from an engine's operation. I still remember the days of Peugeot Assembly plant in Kaduna and Mercedes Benz AG in Nigeria. One of their unique selling points was that their cars were tropicalized suggesting they would adapt better to local conditions than grey imports. If cars operate same way everywhere, why that? Or can somebody say it was just a mere marketing gimmick?

Having said all these, I won't advise anyone to use oil not recommended for their cars especially the newer ones with narrower tolerances.

2 Likes

Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 30, 2018
fabienjoe:
I've read a lot about oils recommended for cars both online and in car manuals, nowhere is 20W50 oil demonized as in Nigeria. I know about newer engines and narrower tolerances and more intricate parts, necessitating the use of thinner oils for proper lubrication, hence the 5W30 recommendation for most of them. However, one of the major reasons for this choice is the operating temperature. Most manuals would state that using thicker oils in cold regions of the world could lead to more engine wear at cold temperatures of Europe and many parts of the US especially on cold start. My car manual, though recommended 5W30, didn't outrightly prohibit 20W50. My major point of disagreement is the suggestion by many here that environmental temperature has nothing to do with choice of oil. They easily point to hot parts of the US and the middle East where the same recommended thin oil is used. My answer still is that the same manual does not expressly ban thicker oil, only a caution on use in cold climate...and oh yes, temperature has everything to do with it. In fact if 20W50 is as bad as being portrayed here, many Nigerians cannot keep their cars for more than 3 years...I know most have kept theirs for more than 10 years' using 20W50 with no major engine issues.

You can't discount temperature from an engine's operation. I still remember the days of Peugeot Assembly plant in Kaduna and Mercedes Benz AG in Nigeria. One of their unique selling points was that their cars were tropicalized suggesting they would adapt better to local conditions than grey imports. If cars operate same way everywhere, why that? Or can somebody say it was just a mere marketing gimmick?

Having said all these, I won't advise anyone to use oil not recommended for their cars especially the newer ones with narrower tolerances.

I go start to dey use mobil xhp than this mobil 1. Our lagos sun fit fry egg and the engine must be cooled. I feel this 5w30 is too thin for our climate. My friend that drives 2011 avalon uses same xhp for 3years with no issue. Hmm. Mobil 1 too cost abeg angry
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:12pm On Sep 30, 2018
dru23:

Oga, shut up and stop peddling your wares on every thread.
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Oga, shut up and stop peddling your wares on every thread.

Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:42pm On Sep 30, 2018
Your memes are shite and so is your snake oil. cheesy
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:03pm On Sep 30, 2018
Pipedreams:

I go start to dey use mobil xhp than this mobil 1. Our lagos sun fit fry egg and the engine must be cooled. I feel this 5w30 is too thin for our climate. My friend that drives 2011 avalon uses same xhp for 3years with no issue. Hmm. Mobil 1 too cost abeg angry

haaaaaa, even u? with all the knowledge?
Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:06pm On Sep 30, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Your memes are shite and so is your snake oil. cheesy

hahahahahahaha, lwtmb...

I tot it's coconut oil, is it snake oil?

1 Like

Re: Recommend Type Of Engine Oil To Use In Avalon 2002 by dru23(m): 2:17am On Oct 03, 2018
Pipedreams:

Well na matter time... one of uber cars 03 camry was using Nigeria oil for two years with no problems... until last week the engine pack up ,oil dry up few times,.. This is a camry bought tokunbo, didn't have major issues... my point is just because there is no problem or better yet check engine light is on ..and the car still drives, and you use water instead of coolant.. And things are going well... Just a matter of time before the car finally gives up ... basically what your friend is doing now is a case of " laugh now cry later " for a 2011 car he needs to use the best and recommended oil and coolant... I personally can't speak on what I don't use... but when it comes to Nigerian oil ,it is a no no ,and even if the oil is imported I still have to make sure it is not fake...
Now on your avalon 02 ,there is no need using expensive base on the fact that the car is very old, and chances are the car is already sludge up ..even though u said the car runs like turbo and nothing is wrong..it just a matter of time before the car finally gives up ..in these case is medicine after death.. Am talking from experience...
And I will only strongly recommend My USA spec Mobil to the following people below... we can agree to disagree

1.. If you just bought a tokunbo car from the states... you want to start taking care of the car from the jump start.. This will include good synthetic oil that you can vouch for ..and most importantly you must use good coolant and oil filter from a liable source... ..I don't sell coolant, so I can't reccomend a source for that. .and also Air filter needs to change too.
2. People that drive expensive cars ,cars like G wagon, Porches, upper model lexus suv, or basically cars that costs an arm or a leg to replace the engine... if your engine of your car cost the same price as a tokunbo car ,my people you need to make sure you buy the proper oil for the car and coolant ...I don't care how good a mechanic is ,once they start messing with the engine, trust me that engine will never be the same again... most of these cars now are high end cars with high end technology ..Most mechanics are still stuck with 2000 model technology..
3. And also I will reccomend imported oil to people that basically that have been on regular up keeps on their cars and using the rite oil and doing regular oil change.. So those people might want to switch to a more advanced oil to maybe avoid doing oil change every 3k miles..

4 .. And also to people that run fleet of cars for business... in that case using the rite oil like extended performance Mobil ,it will give you more miles and save you money ... in this case you are not changing oil on every fleet of your cars every 3k miles, with good oil ,u save money and buy time ..a lot of fleet company especially private company like limousine company, use good oil to prolong their vehicles... for the fact that their vehicles is always on the move.. More wear and tear on the car due to stop and break etc.. Do you think those fleet coy want to changing oil every week ?
For now that is my own two cents . We can agree to disagree, before some goat will start to say am peddling my wares on the forum ....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help With Driving Manual Car / Please Help With My Toyota Corolla Gear Issues(urgent) / Quick Win. DEC 1ST 5K CASH OR RECHARGE What Tool Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.