Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Help With Driving Manual Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help With Driving Manual Car (2717 Views)

Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps / Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Driving Manual Car by RuuDie(m): 9:43am On Jan 08, 2012
I know 'manual' cars are very much becoming a thing of the past but we do still have a couple around and I personally, am yet to come to grips with certain aspects of 'em.

Post difficulties you encounter while driving yours and hopefully some expert(s) will come along and give a hand!
Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by RuuDie(m): 9:48am On Jan 08, 2012
Personally my challenges:

When I start-up and get into gear one, the car 'dies' most times once I start releasing the clutch and depressing the accelerator. . . .

I am fairly comfortable switching between gears one and two; just don't know when to switch to three and beyond. . . .

Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by DualCore1: 11:49am On Jan 08, 2012
I'm not into the technicalities of cars so I will just comment from a lay man driver point of view.

About your engine dying when in Gear 1 and about to move: Every manual transmission vehicle has this point of equilibrium (dunno the technical name) between the accelerator and the clutch. You have to master that. Your acceleration should meet your releasing the clutch at that point of equilibrium for a smooth take off. Once take off is initiated, don't just take your feet off the cluth immediately. You just need to master that point of equilibrium for your car. Best place to get used to it is in an open field. After knowing that point then enter lagos roads. . . the traffic jams are enough on-the-road exercises to work with.

About when to change gears
Look at the RPM when accelerating, you shouldn't let it get close to red. Changing gears should come instinctively. . . you should know when you have accelerated and max'd that gear. Most times I force an Auto to move a gear higher by reducing the RPM for a second or so. In a manual vehicle you should also listen to the engine and change just before it starts sounding stressed. When coming downwards with gears I personally think its safe to drop in a downward sequence. From 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 and so on. Not from 6 to 4 or 3.

Just my 2 kobo. . . heck I wish I knew cars like I knew codes sad
Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by Nicols(m): 2:11pm On Jan 08, 2012
Auto transmission is originally made for handicaps ie those that lost one leg and or one arm. I feel borred each time I drive autos. I only decided to get an additional car with auto because my wife prefers the easy way.

If U want to get a real driving experience and the enthusiasm that come with it, get yourself a car that comes with manual transmission.

1 Like

Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 08, 2012
RuuDie, I'm sorry to be blunt. I think your best bet is either to stick to automatics, or take PROFESSIONAL driving lessons with manual. Driving is something that needs to be learnt, and mastered properly, before you hit the road. Safety is paramount, both for driver, and other road users.

Whilst you may pick up the basics in terms of driving a manual by asking questions online, it's no substitute for the real thing - being properly tutored, in real-world situations. Please, look for a driving school in your area, and take proper driving lessons.
Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by kaystar80(m): 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2012
well said,siena , very well said
Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by RuuDie(m): 9:01am On Jan 09, 2012
Siena:

RuuDie, I'm sorry to be blunt. I think your best bet is either to stick to automatics, or take PROFESSIONAL driving lessons with manual. Driving is something that needs to be learnt, and mastered properly, before you hit the road. Safety is paramount, both for driver, and other road users.

Whilst you may pick up the basics in terms of driving a manual by asking questions online, it's no substitute for the real thing - being properly tutored, in real-world situations. Please, look for a driving school in your area, and take proper driving lessons.

Bluntness appreciated and points very well noted but I don't think you should under-estimate what your or any other contributor's two kobo's worth could go a long way in doing to drivers, be it learners or pros.
And yes, the basics is what I seek and yes again, I don't reckon it can ever take the place of the real thing but it does help in a way.
Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by bigx(m): 10:34pm On Jun 14, 2012
Dual Core: I'm not into the technicalities of cars so I will just comment from a lay man driver point of view.

About your engine dying when in Gear 1 and about to move: Every manual transmission vehicle has this point of equilibrium (dunno the technical name) between the accelerator and the clutch. You have to master that. Your acceleration should meet your releasing the clutch at that point of equilibrium for a smooth take off. Once take off is initiated, don't just take your feet off the cluth immediately. You just need to master that point of equilibrium for your car. Best place to get used to it is in an open field. After knowing that point then enter lagos roads. . . the traffic jams are enough on-the-road exercises to work with.

About when to change gears
Look at the RPM when accelerating, you shouldn't let it get close to red. Changing gears should come instinctively. . . you should know when you have accelerated and max'd that gear. Most times I force an Auto to move a gear higher by reducing the RPM for a second or so. In a manual vehicle you should also listen to the engine and change just before it starts sounding stressed. When coming downwards with gears I personally think its safe to drop in a downward sequence. From 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 and so on. Not from 6 to 4 or 3.

Just my 2 kobo. . . heck I wish I knew cars like I knew codes sad

I usually switch gears at roughly 25 rpm, so the engine sound remains uniform
Re: Help With Driving Manual Car by charlsecy(m): 3:44pm On Nov 12, 2015
RuuDie:
Post difficulties you encounter while driving yours and hopefully some expert(s) will come along and give a hand!
1. When should one change from a higher gear to a lower one?

2. What gear is recommended for climbing a hill?

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help! My Honda Accord 2000 Ex 4cyl Is Mixing Oil And Water / 2004 Acura TSX - Share Your Views / 03 Camry Keep Blowing Efi Fuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.