Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,456 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning (261342 Views)

Isoko Names And Their English Meaning / Russian Girls Learn Yoruba And Igbo Language / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by masseratti: 12:53pm On Feb 17, 2020
sammyfrosh:

It’s not Calvary or no Calvary am arguing about tho is it? Am only saying that the horses we see today aren’t native to Africa that’s all am arguing about.
horse are native to Africa and Eurasia continents, previously domesticated in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by masseratti: 12:58pm On Feb 17, 2020
olasunky15:

in as much as I agree that tiger is not native to Africa. I don't think its logical to say yorubas don't have name for it.

Does that then mean that animals native to Africa alone has no business having English name I.e Erinmi(hippopotamus) should not be called hippo because its not native to UK or Europe or The West.

of course its easy to argue that the early civilization of the West and the Colonization of Africa enabled access, interaction and knowledge of this animals. hence their English names.

my question now is even if tiger is not native to Africa, who says our Forefathers didnot travel far and wide to other continents - either for religious, business or adventure. Who say some did not settle in these areas and later return back home.

Again, many people limit yoruba to only a group of People in SouthWest Nigeria, Africa, where in fact, we have native yorubas in Countries like Brazil, Cuba, Peru and the rest.

Now, Jaguar is not in Africa, but native to South America with quite significant population of Yoruba. Do the logic!

My grandfather told me his grandfather was among those that travelled on foot to far Asia, especially Saudi from Nigeria. Not all return. Is it possible for them not only to have heard of the Tiger animal, but seen it several times. Mind you they traveled on foot. chances are that they will manoeuvre through the forest... where else would they encounter the Tiger Animal?

No matter how small their population outside Africa was then, giving animal they encountered a name and making it popular back home wouldn't be a big deal.

I also agree with someone earlier that some animals name were given to people with rugged and fearless attributes like ekun, with even a proverb "taa je gbe'na w'oju ekan? Nibody dares. Ogidan and the likes.

So the fact that some animals are not native to Africa or Yorubaland doesnt mean they don't have yoruba names.

I agree that:
Tiger = Ekun
Leopard = Amot'ekun. I.e like the tiger or can do as a Tiger or behaves like Tiger. (Much kudos to that brain that gives the Security network that name)

Jaguar = Ogidan.

its wrong to say Amotekun = Cheetah....

The elders can't be wrong altogether. especially those that came up with the Amotekun name. And place don't tell me the picture of the animal of the security outfit emblem is Cheetah.
bro tiger does not even exist in the Arabian peninsula, the Europeans traveled all over the globe and gave various names to what they saw, we African didn't, we didn't travel the globe except when the Europeans took us or the Arabians by slave trades, there is no Yoruba word for Tiger, period, Ẹkùn is not Tiger, it won't have been possible for them to name what they didn't see.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Poddy(m): 1:00pm On Feb 17, 2020
NigeriaBam:
I need Yoruba name for "Toad"

And English name for "Opolo"
Opolo is Frog
While Iyanto is toad! wink
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by nlPoster: 1:00pm On Feb 17, 2020
foshe36:
And I think buffalo is agbonrin.

Amotolongbo:
Bufallo is efon

Is there a specific reason why you people are focusing on buffalo at this time?

No other animals in Nigeria?
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by nlPoster: 1:00pm On Feb 17, 2020
foshe36:
What is Yoruba of Pangolin?

From google: aika

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by nlPoster: 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2020
I went through the op's list and did not see turtle (tortoise is there though).

Turtle is awun okun (from the Yoruba dictionary).
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Donaldoni: 2:39pm On Feb 17, 2020
ghostwon:

Yet the outside world doesn't see this superiority which you are talking about. It exists only in the mind of Yoruba supremacists.
Be it the art, the military or the architecture, the Benin empire has always been superior to the Yoruba.
Most of you Yoruba actually descend from freed slaves dumped on our shores. You are slaves trying to rewrite history in order to make yourselves masters in a past that never existed.

Which outside world Why are you guys so deluded

Freed slaves Yet you had to beg us for a prince to become your Oba

Shame on you!
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by lavenjcrown(m): 2:41pm On Feb 17, 2020
inaki is gorilla
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Donaldoni: 2:42pm On Feb 17, 2020
ghostwon:
First of all, the last war between Benin empire and Britain started in 1895 and ended in around 1900.
The British captured the capital of the empire (the capital is Benin city) in 1897 and the emperor surrendered in 1897 while some of his generals fought on untill around 1900.

And if I recollect, the Yoruba gave up to the British without a fight ! You welcomed the invading British as liberators and you just bowed down to them without a fight. While real strong African kingdoms fought and made the British pay a price for the invasion. The Yoruba just gave up like cowards. While real African kingdoms were being burnt down by the British, the same British were building houses for their Yoruba collaborators/puppets ( the ooni of ife and the alafin of Oyo).

The thing which you Yoruba keep overlooking is that you were in a better position after the invasion of the British, whereas the actual west African powerhouses were degraded by the British and their kings sent into exile or killed. That is what happened to: Benin Empire, Kano Emirate, Sokoto Kalifate, Borno emirate...

Stop distorting history.

Bini was conquered in hours.

Yoruba land as a whole was never conquered. Rather it was enmeshed in a civil war. Eventually the Brits came in to end the war. Thus we surrendered to them.

Please note that Ijebus and Egbas gave a good fight... cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by lavenjcrown(m): 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2020
did i need to tell you that a yoruba has once be your king did i also need to tell you that yoruba give you the name benin
ghostwon:

Yet the outside world doesn't see this superiority which you are talking about. It exists only in the mind of Yoruba supremacists.
Be it the art, the military or the architecture, the Benin empire has always been superior to the Yoruba.
Most of you Yoruba actually descend from freed slaves dumped on our shores. You are slaves trying to rewrite history in order to make yourselves masters in a past that never existed.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Donaldoni: 2:47pm On Feb 17, 2020
ghostwon:

Since when is the Oba of Benin a Yoruba man ?
Share your proof.
To the best of my knowledge, the Oba of Benin is the first son of the previous Oba of Benin who was also the first son of the previous Oba of Benin who was also the first son of the previous Oba of Benin, and so on ...

Ever heard of Oranmiyan
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by nlPoster: 2:48pm On Feb 17, 2020
Donaldoni:

Are you implying the others did not? cheesy
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by lavenjcrown(m): 2:49pm On Feb 17, 2020
did i need to tell you that yoruba gave you the name benin
snazzy5050:
not just earth worm, some other animals there are clearly pronounced in bini by the yoruba people
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 17, 2020
k2money:

The pictures look like Ọwáwa. I can't really remember the pictures because it's more than 25 years that I saw Ọwáwa last. But that hydrax sound like a pigs truly but Ọwáwa makes sound that pronounce like waowaowaowao. Like a dog barking. Watch natgeo wild cheetahs sound like a cat mew, mew, check that YouTube and stop calling cheetah Ọwáwa.
Ọwáwa do bark while cheetah mew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Qh3VTmtxU
Let’s just agree that one of us might be right.

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Donaldoni: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2020
nlPoster:

Are you implying the others did not? cheesy

They (Ibadan, Ekiti, Ijesha etc) were embroiled in civil war... embarassed
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 3:03pm On Feb 17, 2020
masseratti:
horse are native to Africa and Eurasia continents, previously domesticated in Africa.
Okay but the only horses native to African continents is the Namib horses while there’s none native to sub Saharan/Congo African region.

I found this below info about indigenous horses in Africa;

1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 17, 2020
nlPoster:
I went through the op's list and did not see turtle (tortoise is there though).

Turtle is awun okun (from the Yoruba dictionary).

Turtle might also be yannibo while terrapin is called Alabahun in Yoruba.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by rexandyke(m): 3:08pm On Feb 17, 2020
there are a number of similarities between Igbo and Yoruba languages shocked shocked
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by nlPoster: 3:29pm On Feb 17, 2020
sammyfrosh:

Turtle might also be yannibo while terrapin is called Alabahun in Yoruba.

Yannibo I believe is tortoise wife in folktales.

By terrapin you mean turtle?

Actual terrapins do not seem to be native to west Africa though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrapin
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by k2money(m): 4:48pm On Feb 17, 2020
sammyfrosh:

Let’s just agree that one of us might be right.
not to just agree, im always curious to know the English name of that owawa.
from my youtube you its glaring cheetah is not owawa because owawa bark not the meow cheetah do
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2020
k2money:

not to just agree, im always curious to know the English name of that owawa.
from my youtube you its glaring cheetah is not owawa because owawa bark not the meow cheetah do
Then I can help you on that. I will find it for you.

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 17, 2020
nlPoster:

Yannibo I believe is tortoise wife in folktales.

By terrapin you mean turtle?

Actual terrapins do not seem to be native to west Africa though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrapin
I just checked now yes it’s not native to west Africa.
Yea I meant turtle.

Yes I can still remember one of those folktales books in my secondary school days. Ijapa tiroko oko yannibo firi n di oke. cheesy
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by eby001(m): 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2020
sammyfrosh:

Okay but the only horses native to African continents is the Namib horses while there’s none native to sub Saharan/Congo African region.

Lol, you didn't mention me on this. So I was right all along. I never want to mention tsetse fly ish, thinking you'll figure it out grin. It not a weakness to admit you're wrong all along. The name 'esin' is right all along

Pls what is the Yoruba name of zebra?
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by gregyboy(m): 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2020
Donaldoni:

You are just deluded.

Even your 'God-like' Oba is a Yoruba man.

To start to state Yoruba superiority over Bini whether now or in the past will be an overkill and amount to waste of time... angry

Didn't the Brits rout the whole Benin city in just a few hours and thereafter banish your Oba to Calabar

You should even be grateful that they restored your monarchy for you otherwise... grin

Lol , with your population the yoruba still havnt archived greatness just like the indian pop size does not gaurantee its sucess over united state ,population cant guarantee success of a particular group" it is written in history yorubas will always be slave to other tribes

Outside nigeria yorubas is just seen as one bunch of populated people who onced were used as slaves to the whitemen and nothing more,

Yorubas despite thier population still are very uneducated and the second poorest tribe in nigeria relying complete on skul
Minning and few educated peoole to liberate them from proverty...
Your brothes coming to benin to school like thier lives depends on education

Even benson idahosa is more international reconned with thab both oyedapo and adoboye let's not even mention pastor chris

The truth is the only thing the yorubas had use to surpass edos in nigeria is population you can go ahead and debate it
Outside Nigeria they know edo than yorubas

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 17, 2020
eby001:

Lol, you didn't mention me in this. So I was right all along. I never want to mention tsetse fly ish, thinking you'll figure it out grin. It not a weakness to admit you're wrong all along. The name 'esin' is right all along

Pls what is the Yoruba name of zebra?
Yea I am wrong.

Zebra is Egbin (beauty) in Yoruba.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by eby001(m): 5:47pm On Feb 17, 2020
sammyfrosh:

Yea I am wrong.

Zebra is Egbin (beauty) in Yoruba.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Olu317(m): 5:49pm On Feb 17, 2020
ednut1:
95% of them have all been killed from yoruba land. Shame. There is no tiger in africa so why would yoruba have a name for it
It is because, every animal that Yoruba have names for are coded in Ifaodu. So, don't be shocked if some animals appears in Yoruba's lexicons and not in Africa or in extinction. This is the uniqueness of Yoruba worldview through migration. Superhumans are Yoruba ancestors, which ie the reason, some are called Orishas

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by masseratti: 6:06pm On Feb 17, 2020
sammyfrosh:

trying so hard to shift the goal post is totally wrong, you said Africa, it was pointed out to you that horse is indigenous to Africa, now its sub saharan Africa, even in what you quoted you can see some sub saharan places in it, i think what you are looking for or where your thoughts is, is horses in the wild, No you can't find that anywhere in the world, same as you can't find a cow living in the wild anymore they are domesticated all over the world, Horse my friend is indigenous to Africa even sub saharan.

3 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by snazzy5050(m): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2020
lavenjcrown:
did i need to tell you that yoruba gave you the name benin
you wish
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 17, 2020
Donaldoni:

Ever heard of Oranmiyan
What year was that ?
Show me just one written note about oranmiyan (written by a person who met him).
Like the random Yoruba, you mistake fairytales with reality.
There was never an oranmiyan, the story was made up.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 17, 2020
lavenjcrown:
did i need to tell you that a yoruba has once be your king did i also need to tell you that yoruba give you the name benin
It is weird enough that in your adult age you still believe these ethnocentric stories told to you by your elders. It seems you still don't have enough brain cells to see that these stories were designed to place Yoruba at the center of an other man's history !
If there is any such thing as theft of history, that is what you Yoruba are trying to commit.
The fact is most of you descend from freed slaves dumped on our shores, as soon as you landed, you started spreading propaganda in order to fit in. The local superpower is Benin empire that is why you guys have tried to attach yourselves to Benin history.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 7:23pm On Feb 17, 2020
Donaldoni:

Stop distorting history.

Bini was conquered in hours.

Yoruba land as a whole was never conquered. Rather it was enmeshed in a civil war. Eventually the Brits came in to end the war. Thus we surrendered to them.

1895-1900 that is 52560 hours, so yea hours ! Years are also made of hours.

Your ijebu fight was a small rebellion quickly put down by a few British soldiers.

You are completely contradicting yourself when you claim you were never conquered but you surrendered !
What sense does that make ? Are you using a new definition of being conquered which nobody else has ever heard about ?
You guys gave up to the British without a fight like the cowardly cowards you are !
Everybody knows the famous cowardlyness of the Yoruba !
Even in your face saving response/propaganda, you recognize that your ooni of ife and your alafin of Oyo gave up to the British without a fight. Your alafin of Oyo had most of his kingdom conquered by Fulani and he gave up to the British without a fight. Your ooni of ife has never had an army.
Ife was a village with no architecture when the British arrived. The ooni of ife and alafin of Oyo became relevant only thanks to the British who saw them as useful puppets.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Igbos come show your proverbs skills / African Weddings From All Over! / Yoruba Idioms: Owe Yoruba, Itunmo Re Ati Lilo Re

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.