Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,978 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning (261252 Views)

Isoko Names And Their English Meaning / Russian Girls Learn Yoruba And Igbo Language / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 7:32pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

Go to the nearest real historian and submit the definition to him or her. And see if the person validates or not, because obviously you are too dumb to think for yourself.
All these are methods meant to stop fraudulent claims from being pushed as history. Of course the likes of you would not like this since your entire "Yoruba history" is a fraud, a lie. You need the rules to be more lose in order to admit your fairytales as history.

Another cup-out! cheesy cheesy

Me: Provide evidence for your definition of "historical person" or stop making stuffs up.

You: Ask a real historian you will see that I'm not lying.

Me: What about you meet the burden of proof on you, rather than finding cheap cup-out excuses. cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 7:34pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

Stop putting words into my mouth, I didn't ask that question.
I would never ask that question because it is common knowledge that your ancestors couldn't write.
You live in a fantastic world since you keep claiming otherwise and putting words in my mouth.

You asked about a written note about Oranmiyan. You also claimed that Yorubas didn't write (without any evidence, proof, or reason).

This is the second time you've denied yourself. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 19, 2020
Your statement:
TAO11:

Another cup-out! cheesy cheesy

Me: Provide evidence for your definition of "historical person" or stop making stuffs up.

You: Ask a real historian you will see that I'm not lying.

Me: What about you meet the burden of proof on you, rather than finding cheap cup-out excuses. cheesy cheesy

My statements:

ghostwon:

Actually, you don't know what a historical figure is: a historical figure is a person captured by history.
To be a historical figure, there must be a surviving text about you, written either by you either by a person who met you.
I asked the year oranmiyan is supposed to have entered Benin Kingdom in order to make you guys realize you are dealing with a fairytale. Oranmiyan never existed.

ghostwon:

Go to the nearest real historian and submit the definition to him or her. And see if the person validates or not, because obviously you are too dumb to think for yourself.
All these are methods meant to stop fraudulent claims from being pushed as history. Of course the likes of you would not like this since your entire "Yoruba history" is a fraud, a lie. You need the rules to be more lose in order to admit your fairytales as history.

You are just recycling, stupidity.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 7:39pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:
dude, your ancestors couldn't write !
Obviously if anything is written on the obelisk it is a fraud !
Also archeologists have better things to do than write about a nonsensical obviously fraudulent "obelisk" in ife.

Again, proving to me in unmistakable terms that this specific subject is bigger than you could know anything about.

BTW, as a side point, could you show me any evidence of writing amongst the ancient Binis? cheesy

Just as I have adduced an evidence of writing (which still survives till date) among the ancient Yorubas --- Oranmiyan's name to be precise, thus proving his historicity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 7:40pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:
Your statement:

My statements:

You are just recycling, stupidity.

You are obviously bereft of any intelligent come-back.

Isn't it typical? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 19, 2020
TAO11:

Again, proving to me in unmistakable terms that this specific subject is bigger than you could know anything about.

BTW, as a side point, could you show me any evidence of writting amongst the ancient Binis.

Just as I have adduced an evidence of writing (which still survives till date) among the ancient Yorubas --- Oranmiyan's name to be precise thus proving his historicity.

Now you are just making me laugh.
It is a well known fact that your ancestors had no written language. You can't change reality in order to win an argument.
Although it seems you have started to understand the definition of a historical figure. Although reality is not going to bend in order to please you and help you defend Yoruba dogma.
Oranmiyan is a fairytale and your ancestors couldn't write. Fact.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 7:47pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

It is a well known fact that your ancestors had no written language. You can't change reality in order to win an argument.

1. Provide your evidence of "it is a well known fact", or run away.

2. The Oranmiyan Obelisk in Ife contains a writting of Oranmiyan's name.

3. If you will dispute the fact that the Obelisk is ancient or that it contains Oranmiyan's name, then do so by providing scholarly historical/archaeological evidence and not just the voices in your head.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 7:56pm On Feb 19, 2020
TAO11:

1. Provide your evidence of "it is a well known fact", or run away.

2. The Oranmiyan Obelisk in Ife contains a writting of Oranmiyan's name.

3. If you will dispute the fact that the Obelisk is ancient or that it contains Oranmiyan's name, then do so by providing scholarly historical/archaeological evidence and not just the voices in your head.

My reply:

ghostwon:

Although it seems you have started to understand the definition of a historical figure. Although reality is not going to bend in order to please you and help you defend Yoruba dogma.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:01pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

I am still waiting on you to provide scholarly historical evidence to support your obviously made up definition that a person is not historical unless he is found in writing.

But even according to your made up criterion, Oranmiyan is found in writing as has been concluded from the inscription of his name found on the ancient Obelisk at Ife commemorating him.

This obelisk (with the inscriptions of Oranmiyan's name in Near Eastern characters) still stand till date even as I write.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:05pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

My reply:

Your so-called my reply doesnt in any way answer any of the questions posed to you:

Again, provide your evidence of "it is a well known fact", or run away.

Moreover, the Oranmiyan Obelisk in Ife contains a writting of Oranmiyan's name.

Where then are the requested evidence in your so-called "My Reply".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 8:11pm On Feb 19, 2020
TAO11:

I am still waiting on you to provide scholarly historical evidence to support your obviously made up definition that a person is not historical unless he is found in writing.

But even according to your made up criterion, Oranmiyan is found in writing as has been concluded from the inscription of his name found on the ancient Obelisk at Ife commemorating him.

This obelisk (with the inscriptions of Oranmiyan's name in Near Eastern characters) still stand till date even as I write.

My reply:

ghostwon:

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 8:12pm On Feb 19, 2020
TAO11:

Your so-called my reply doesnt in any way answer any of the questions posed to you:

Again, provide your evidence of "it is a well known fact", or run away.

Moreover, the Oranmiyan Obelisk in Ife contains a writting of Oranmiyan's name.

Where then are the requested evidence in your so-called "My Reply".

My reply:

ghostwon:

ghostwon:
Also archeologists have better things to do than write about a nonsensical obviously fraudulent "obelisk" in ife.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:
Of course a lot of people existed with no written trace of them. They were not captured by history! That doesn't mean we should just start inventing people and claiming they did this and that, they came from this place and that place. And when you are asked for proof, you claim: well they were not captured by history. In that case anybody can just create a person who never existed and give the same argument as you.

I think you need me to repeat, and this time read with your head out of your ass:

Obviously, oranmiyan, oduduwa, igodomigodo, ogiso, and the likes were fairytales which were born in Nigeria's colonial era. Nothing was heard about them before the colonial era.

Evidence for your claim or runaway as usual.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Donaldoni: 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2020
gregyboy:

Did you click the link did you...No you didn’t
I for sure click your link and it was not impressing it was bunch of yorubas who had opened retailed shops that soon crumbled and those shops or companies as you think have no effect to a Nigerian lives

Like I always maintained if Edos were as populated as yorubas those companies will be world wide renowned

That link of yours was not impressive

If you had click my link of go through the pictures you will see foreign references all written on it , the name of the website looks even foreign

Go hide in shame

Of course I clicked your link. It is fraught with inaccuracies. The platform is similar to blogger. A patriotic Bini boy just created his own page on it. No brainer!

If you think Binis are doing anywhere near what you saw in the Yoruba thread, I dare you to create a thread to showcase their achievements.

You can be sure the thread will struggle to hit the second page... grin
Binis were NEVER created to be as great as Yorubas. That's the painful truth... embarassed

Even our lousy brothers from the yeast have since given up.

2 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

My reply:

I am glad I have relegated you to parroting already refuted absurdities.

Me: Prove that your claim is a fact.

You: It is a fact.

Me:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 19, 2020
TAO11:

I am glad I have relegated you to parroting already refuted absurdities.

Me: Prove that your claim is a fact.

You: It is a fact.

Me:

My reply:

ghostwon:

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:49pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

My reply:

Again:

You: Your ancestors couldn't write!

Me: Provide me evidence that the Yorubas couldn't and didn't write.

You: Dude, your ancestors couldn't write!

Me: The Oranmiyan obelisk at Ife shows an inscription of Oranmiyan's name as deciphered by archaeologists.

You: Obviously if anything is written on the obelisk it is a fraud !

Me: Provide me evidence that it's a fraud.

You: Scratches head and repeat a previous line to the same effect as "It is a fraud".

Me: The Oranmiyan obelisk has been dated to ancient times, and its inscription has been deciphered by archaeologists to be Oranmiyan's name.

You: Archeologists have better things to do than write about a nonsensical obviously fraudulent "obelisk" in ife.

Me: Provide scholarly evidence that the Obelisk is fraud, etc.

You: Scratches head and repeats the same line.

Haha! It's been an interesting exchange. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:54pm On Feb 19, 2020
ghostwon:

My reply:

Lad,

I'm glad you've admitted emptiness on your part with your refuted repetition.

Next time, look before you leap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 19, 2020
TAO11:

Again:

You: Your ancestors couldn't write!

Me: Provide me evidence that the Yorubas couldn't and didn't write.

You: Dude, your ancestors couldn't write!

Me: But the Oranmiyan obelisk at Ife shows an inscription of Oranmiyan's name as deciphered by archaeologists.

You: Obviously if anything is written on the obelisk it is a fraud !

Me: Provide me evidence that it's a fraud.

You: Scratches head and repeat a previous line to the same effect as "It is a fraud".

Me: But the Oranmiyan obelisk has been dated to ancient times, and its inscription has been deciphered by archaeologists to be Oranmiyan's name.

You: Archeologists have better things to do than write about a nonsensical obviously fraudulent "obelisk" in ife.

Me: Provide scholarly evidence that the Obelisk fraud, etc.

You: Scratches head and repeats the same line.

Haha! It's been an interesting exchange. cheesy

My reply:

ghostwon:

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 19, 2020
Wow. The thread has basically been derailed lolz. Guys please stop this nonsense tribal war. Let’s all stick to the main topic of the threads.

Thank you.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 8:06pm On Feb 20, 2020
sammyfrosh:
Wow. The thread has basically been derailed lolz. Guys please stop this nonsense tribal war. Let’s all stick to the main topic of the threads.

Thank you.

The other fellows are on a one sided tribal war, me stating the obvious and correcting their obvious lies is in no way a tribal war. Consider my contribution here a pro bono educational work. The truth, facts and education have no tribe.

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by nlPoster: 8:27pm On Feb 20, 2020
Can you post what that is and where its displayed.

No if you know you know stuff please.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 9:45pm On Feb 20, 2020
ghostwon:

The other fellows are on a one sided tribal war, me stating the obvious and correcting their obvious lies is in no way a tribal war. Consider my contribution here a pro bono educational work. The truth, facts and education have no tribe.

ghostwon, aka "Delusions of Grandeur personified". cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:41pm On Feb 21, 2020
gregyboy:

Doesn yoruba had oba before the arrival of the britsh post any articles that date from earliest 20c adressing any yoruba king as oba ,

Oromiyan didnt rule at all in benin he could have been the only person to have established oba dynasty if he had ruled that is if oba word was from yoruba
But fortunately he didnt rule it was his son who ruled and he personally coined ths world oba,
The word oba came into the yoruba lexicon because of benin conquest into yoruba lands

I have shared animal names that are common to both edo and yorubas on this post because of benin influence on yorubas

Firstly: You asked if the Yorubas had the word "Oba" before the arrival of the bRiTiSh. cheesy

Although your rhetorical question here portrays you as dumb, ignorant, idiotic and deluded (as I have shut you up with detailed answers to this question countless times), I will nevertheless provide an answer for the sake of others.

Not only have the Yorubas been using the word "Oba" as the generic word (a.k.a. common noun) for their monarchs before the arrival of any European, they have actually been doing so since time immemorial --- even in the pre-Oduduwa era. The reason is simple: "Oba" has always been a Yoruba word.

A case in point:
Prior to Oduduwa's prominence in Ife, the nation operated a decentralized structure of about thirteen states --- one of which was called Ideta-Nla, aka Ideta-Ile, and also known simply as Ideta ----- each state having its own king.

A prominent "King of Ideta-Nla" --- articulated in Yoruba language as "Oba Ideta-Nla" or, in its more famous contracted form, "Obatala" --- who later became deified (and passed down by history to posterity) is just one of many instances of the ancient existence of the word "Oba" for "King" in the Yoruba lexicon.

In other words, not only has the word "Oba" been part of the Yoruba lexicon before the coming of any European to the Nigeria region, it has always been a Yoruba word for "king" even in the pre-Oduduwa era.

One can at least be certain that it wasn't the bRiTiSh who introduced the deity Obatala to the Yorubas. cheesy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly: You requested any early 20th century historical work which addresses any Yoruba king as "Oba".

Although I am not sure how this will help any point you want to make, I will nevertheless not only post an early 20th century historical work, I will in fact post a prominent world-class historical work from the century before the 20th --- that is from the 19th century, viz. the 1800s. cheesy

Now, come with me to The Great Oyo Empire during the reign of a king, whose name is Aole (also spelt as Awole), who ruled Oyo in the 18th century --- from c. 1789 to c. 1796.

In his groundbreaking historical work on Yoruba history, completed in the year 1897 --- i.e. in the 19th century; the Reverend Samuel Johnson described the moral and the religious lax and decadence, as well as the general decline that the Oyo nation experienced from the time of Aole going forward.

Reverend Samuel Johnson particularly noted how "oaths were no more taken in the name of the gods, who were now considered too lenient and indifferent; but rather in the name of the King (Aole himself) who was (now) more dreaded" than any Oyo king before him.

He specifically mentioned in this 1897 work that "the new form of oath" for the late 1700s Oyo people became: "Idà Oba ni yio jemi" ("may the King's sword destroy me" ).

Again, the word "Oba" (as has just been shown from this 1897 historical work about ancient Oyo and Yoruba generally) has always been the Yoruba equivalent of the English word "King".

--- See the attachment below (culled from page 188 of Rev. Samuel Johnson's "The History of the Yorubas" ) for some more context.

Thirdly: Regarding your statement that "Oranmiyan didn't rule at all in Benin".

Well, let's see what you have to say in reply to Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II, regarding his statement --- in the video below --- that "ORANMIYAN from IFE became the FIRST OBA of BENIN".

--- Paraphrased from time-stamp 13:33 to 13:41 of the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvXupQwaz0

Lol, prior to the coming of Oranmiyan from IFE, no Benin monarch was ever addressed by the designation "Oba". Rather, they were addressed by the royal title "Ogiso". cheesy

A smart person would have already seen the implication of this fact alone without having to be spoon fed. cheesy

To sum it all up:

1. It has been demonstrated that the word "Oba" has always been part of the Yoruba lexicon from time immemorial --- even from the pre-Oduduwa era.

2. It is clear from Oba Ewuare II's own admission that the description "Oba" wasn't used for any Benin monarch prior to Oranmiyan's soujourn from Ife to Benin.

3. It therefore becomes clear who influenced who (of Yoruba and Edo) on the use of "Oba" to describe monarchs. cheesy

4. Lastly, I have demonstrated to you, more than once before, that the etymology of the word "Oba" shows it to mean "king" only in Yoruba language and never in any Edoid language.

5. Can you now accept my oft-repeated challenge to you to demonstrate how the etymology of the word "Oba" could show it to mean "king" in any Edoid language? cheesy

cc: 2fine2fast

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by DanZubair(m): 8:59pm On Feb 21, 2020
Camel is also Raƙumi in Hausa

I will create a similar thread
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 9:43pm On Feb 21, 2020
gregyboy:

Your are not serious .....

If only the yorubas can start reading history books from the beginning and not the end they will know oduduwa ekaladeran is a benin prince given to the yorubas

Haha! Does my reply to the "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth" in the following link ring a bell?: cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/5603401/12-true-facts-never-heard/5#85506436

Moreover, given your "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth"; why then did the kings of Benin kingdom have to PAY HOMAGE to Ile-Ife in ancient times as clearly mentioned in the expert testimony of the British Museum historical documentary shown below?

--- Refer to time-stamp: 47:16 to 49:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQY_Jd--pwI&t=2070s

The "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth" is clearly what it is --- A Myth, made up for the first time in Benin kingdom in the 1970s, and propagated vigorously today by Bini Nairalanders. grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by gregyboy(m): 2:45pm On Feb 23, 2020
TAO11:

Haha! Does my reply to the "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth" in the following link ring a bell?: cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/5603401/12-true-facts-never-heard/5#85506436

Moreover, given your "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth"; why then did the kings of Benin kingdom have to PAY HOMAGE to Ile-Ife in ancient times as clearly mentioned in the expert testimony of the British Museum historical documentary shown below?

--- Refer to time-stamp: 47:16 to 49:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQY_Jd--pwI&t=2070s

The "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth" is clearly what it is --- A Myth, made up for the first time in Benin kingdom in the 1970s, and propagated vigorously today by Bini Nairalanders. grin

The unreasonable folklore told of oduduwa by the yoruba people at early 70s was a conspiracy to feel supiority over their deficient history
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by gregyboy(m): 2:54pm On Feb 23, 2020
TAO11:

Firstly: You asked if the Yorubas had the word "Oba" before the arrival of the bRiTiSh. cheesy

Although your rhetorical question here portrays you as dumb, ignorant, idiotic and deluded (as I have shut you up with detailed answers to this question countless times), I will nevertheless provide an answer for the sake of others.

Not only have the Yorubas been using the word "Oba" as the generic word (a.k.a. common noun) for their monarchs before the arrival of any European, they have actually been doing so since time immemorial --- even in the pre-Oduduwa era. The reason is simple: "Oba" has always been a Yoruba word.

A case in point:
Prior to Oduduwa's prominence in Ife, the nation operated a decentralized structure of about thirteen states --- one of which was called Ideta-Nla, aka Ideta-Ile, and also known simply as Ideta ----- each state having its own king.

A prominent "King of Ideta-Nla" --- articulated in Yoruba language as "Oba Ideta-Nla" or, in its more famous contracted form, "Obatala" --- who later became deified (and passed down by history to posterity) is just one of many instances of the ancient existence of the word "Oba" for "King" in the Yoruba lexicon.

In other words, not only has the word "Oba" been part of the Yoruba lexicon before the coming of any European to the Nigeria region, it has always been a Yoruba word for "king" even in the pre-Oduduwa era.

One can at least be certain that it wasn't the bRiTiSh who introduced the deity Obatala to the Yorubas. cheesy

Secondly: You requested any early 20th century historical work which addresses any Yoruba king as "Oba".

Although I am not sure how this will help any point you want to make, I will nevertheless not only post an early 20th century historical work, I will in fact post a prominent world-class historical work from the century before the 20th --- that is from the 19th century, viz. the 1800s. cheesy

Now, come with me to The Great Oyo Empire during the reign of a king, whose name is Aole (also spelt as Awole), who ruled Oyo in the 18th century --- from c. 1789 to c. 1796.

In his groundbreaking historical work on Yoruba history, completed in the year 1897 --- i.e. in the 19th century; the Reverend Samuel Johnson described the moral and the religious lax and decadence, as well as the general decline that the Oyo nation experienced from the time of Aole going forward.

Reverend Samuel Johnson particularly noted how "oaths were no more taken in the name of the gods, who were now considered too lenient and indifferent; but rather in the name of the King (Aole himself) who was (now) more dreaded" than any Oyo king before him.

He specifically mentioned in this 1897 work that "the new form of oath" for the late 1700s Oyo people became: "Idà Oba ni yio jemi" ("may the King's sword destroy me" ).

Again, the word "Oba" (as has just been shown from this 1897 historical work about ancient Oyo and Yoruba generally) has always been the Yoruba equivalent of the English word "King".

--- See the attachment below (culled from page 188 of Rev. Samuel Johnson's "The History of the Yorubas" ) for some more context.

Thirdly: Regarding your statement that "Oranmiyan didn't rule at all in Benin".

Well, let's see what you have to say in reply to Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II, regarding his statement --- in the video below --- that "ORANMIYAN from IFE became the FIRST OBA of BENIN".

--- Paraphrased from time-stamp 13:33 to 13:41 of the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvXupQwaz0

Lol, prior to the coming of Oranmiyan from IFE, no Benin monarch was ever addressed by the royal title "Oba". Rather, they were addressed by the royal title "Ogiso". cheesy

A smart person would have already seen the implication of this fact alone without having to be spoon fed. cheesy

To sum it all up:

1. It has been demonstrated that the word "Oba" has always been part of the Yoruba lexicon from time immemorial --- even from the pre-Oduduwa era.

2. It is clear from Oba Ewuare II's own admission that the description "Oba" wasn't used for any Benin monarch prior to Oranmiyan's soujourn from Ife to Benin.

3. It therefore becomes clear who influenced who (of Yoruba and Edo) on the use of "Oba" to describe monarchs. cheesy

4. Lastly, I have demonstrated to you, more than once before, that the etymology of the word "Oba" shows it to mean "king" only in Yoruba language and never in any Edoid language.

5. Can you now accept my oft-repeated challenge to you to demonstrate how the etymology of the word "Oba" could show it to mean "king" in any Edoid language? cheesy

We all knew the yoruba spoken today is connumeration of various yoruba dialect like half of yoruba state was once under the Benin empire and they took upon edo words into thief vocabulary, at the emerge of the general yoruba dialect they loaned words from areas once under the Benin empire such as words like oba, and so on

The case would have been different if oromiyan had ruled Benin but no he didn't neither did he stay behind to crown is son oba or himself one
So saying oromiyan brought the title oba is absolutely wrong
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 3:25pm On Feb 23, 2020
gregyboy:

We all knew the yoruba spoken today is connumeration of various yoruba dialect like half of yoruba state was once under the Benin empire and they took upon edo words into thief vocabulary, at the emerge of the general yoruba dialect they loaned words from areas once under the Benin empire such as words like oba, and so on

The case would have been different if oromiyan had ruled Benin but no he didn't neither did he stay behind to crown is son oba or himself one
So saying oromiyan brought the title oba is absolutely wrong

(1) Poor boy!
I can only imagine the pain I've caused you by providing all you asked for --- including a pre-20th century writing of the Yorubas' use of the word "Oba" for "King" (although you had requested only for an early 20th c) cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin

Anyways, to take you seriously going forward, you will have to demostrate how the etymology of the word "Oba" shows it to mean "King" in the Edo language. grin cheesy

Only if cows fly in the sky will you be able to denostrate that. cheesy In other words, a word could not possibly have been loaned or originated from a language where its meaning didn't exist. grin

For the umpteenth time, no Yoruba subgroup was ever under any non-Yoruba rule in pre-colonial times. Stop fooling yourself

The only exception was the Itsekiri (a Yoruba subgroup) who agreed to be ruled by the Ife dynasty already established in Benin. Prior to then, the Itsekiris were never ruled by some backward savage non-Yoruba so-called Igodomigodo people.

(2) Regarding Oranmiyan:
Are you publicly saying that Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II is a stupid fatuous liar?? Because he stands by the view that Oranmiyan from IFE was the FIRST OBA of Benin as you have seen from that video. cheesy grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 3:38pm On Feb 23, 2020
gregyboy:

The unreasonable folklore told of oduduwa by the yoruba people at early 70s was a conspiracy to feel supiority over their deficient history

Are you saying that S. B. Omoregie; Edun Akenzua; D. U. Edebiri; and Air Iyare are Yorubas??

I am confused because the only made up story around Oduduwa was by the above-named persons in the early 1970s when they came up with their "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth".

Refer here (https://www.nairaland.com/5603401/12-true-facts-never-heard/5#85506436) for a refresher.

Anyways, you have to save-face sha, so I kind of understand. But I have an interesting question:

Why does Benin kingdom celebrate "Oduduwa" festival since ancient times till date??

According to the "Oduduwa-Ekaladerhan Myth", isn't "Oduduwa" supposed to be a corrupted Yoruba word for the supposed original Edo word "Idoduwa" (according to Air Iyare, 1973, p. 13.); or "Izoduwa" (according to Oba Erediauwa during his 1978-9 coronation); or even "Imadoduwa" (according to D. N. Oronsaye, 1995, p. 49.); etc.??

So, why did this ancient Benin festival retain a foreign "corruption" --- "Oduduwa" --- as its name till date??

The name of the festival must (as a matter of urgency) be "corrected" back to "Idoduwa festival", or "Izoduwa festival", or "Imadoduwa festival", or better still "Ekaladerhan festival". grin cheesy

Oba Ewuare II must hear this! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by gregyboy(m): 6:23pm On Feb 23, 2020
TAO11:

Are you saying that S. B. Omoregie; Edun Akenzua; D. U. Edebiri; and Air Iyare are Yorubas??

I am confused because the only made up story around Oduduwa was by the above-named persons in the early 1970s when they came up with their "Ekaladerhan-Oduduwa Myth".

Refer here (https://www.nairaland.com/5603401/12-true-facts-never-heard/5#85506436) for a refresher.

Anyways, you have to save-face sha, so I kind of understand. But I have an interesting question:

Why does Benin kingdom celebrate "Oduduwa" festival since ancient times till date??

According to the "Oduduwa-Ekaladerhan Myth", isn't "Oduduwa" supposed to be a corrupted Yoruba word for the supposed original Edo word "Idoduwa" (according to Air Iyare, 1973, p. 13.); or "Izoduwa" (according to Oba Erediauwa during his 1978-9 coronation); or even "Imadoduwa" (according to D. N. Oronsaye, 1995, p. 49.); etc.??

So, why did this ancient Benin festival retain a foreign "corruption" --- "Oduduwa" --- as its name till date??

The name of the festival must (as a matter of urgency) be "corrected" back to "Idoduwa festival", or "Izoduwa festival", or "Imadoduwa festival", or better still "Ekaladerhan festival". grin cheesy

Oba Ewuare II must hear this! grin

We Benin's dont celebrate oduduwas festival
Ekaladeran was the lost benin Prince name
Not untill after the beni choefs meant him a ruler at ife that the benin called him
Izoduwa( he walked to success)

The oba in the statment made probability that if oromiyan had ruled he would probably be the first oba ,not that he was the first,because he nevered ruled
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by TAO11(f): 8:45pm On Feb 23, 2020
gregyboy:

1. We Benin's dont celebrate oduduwas festival

2. Ekaladeran was the lost benin Prince name

3. Not untill after the beni choefs meant him a ruler at ife that the benin called him
Izoduwa( he walked to success)

4. The oba in the statment made probability that if oromiyan had ruled he would probably be the first oba, not that he was the first,because he nevered ruled

1. Your first ignorant and laughable comment makes me question if I've truly been talking to a Bini person all along. Certainly not!

Anyway, to educate you as always, the Oduduwa festival is a masquerade festival in Benin kingdom which is held in honour of the paternal ancestors of the founder of the Oba dynasty of Benin kingdom.

Attached below is a screenshot of a web publication by "The Art Institute of Chicago" on some important ritual festivals of Benin kingdom, including the Oduduwa masquerade festival. grin

See here: https://archive.artic.edu/benin/rituals/

2. Yes, there was perhaps a lost wandering Edo prince by the name Ekaladerhan whom the earliest and illustrious Bini historian already wrote about to have founded and settled in Ughoton town where he lived and died.

3. What is, however, historically false is the 1970s myth that this Edo Ekaladerhan is one and the same person as the Yoruba Oduduwa.

This falsehood has long been dismissed in academia --- all over the world --- as "apocryphal", "pseudo-historical", and "deliberately unaunthentic".

--- Refer to: Dmitri M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa, Vol. 30 (2003), pp. 67 - 68, Cambridge University Press.

4. Well, except that nowhere did Oba Ewuare II make the statement you've attributed to him that "... if Oranmiyan had ruled ...". Please point out the time-stamp in the video where he said that, you comedian. cheesy

What he clearly said in the video, and which he had earlier announced to the world at his coronation is that: "Oranmiyan from IFE ... [became] the FIRST OBA of Benin".

Watch the video again, but this time around with your ear cotton ball removed. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Igbos come show your proverbs skills / African Weddings From All Over! / Yoruba Idioms: Owe Yoruba, Itunmo Re Ati Lilo Re

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.