Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,455 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? (3265 Views)

I Need To Pay For An App On Playstore, Any Ideas? / I Need A Loan Of 5-6million Using My Land As Collateral. Any Ideas? / Haulage Business Any Ideas??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 8:19pm On Sep 29, 2018
I Want to Invest and Develop My Community, Any Ideas?

Good day Nairalanders,

I have a burden to give back to my home town by making a couple of investments but I lack ideas. I searched Nairaland to see if someone has done something similar but nothing came up.

What I Have on the Table Currently

Option 1. Build a school – This is not a good idea for now as the literacy level in my state is very high and my state offers free education up to university level.

Option 2. Set up a Skill Acquisition Center – To train and give grants to SMEs. This seems like a plausible idea but given the mentality of Nigerians (YouWin and BOA schemes as a case study); the beneficiaries may simply disappear with the grants.

Option 3. Set up an Industry – Probably a Factory, MicroFinance Bank, School, Hotel, Greenhouse farm or Livestock farm or anything that has the capacity to employ at least 50 people. This is probably the best bet given the multiplier effect this would have on the economy of my home town while we still make money out of it.

I have access to finance, and I want to invest N10M per year over the next 10 years. I can shorten the investment time frame if we see potential in the first 3 years. If we can execute OPTION 3 successfully, we can do some CSR projects, sponsor our annual community festival and football competition with heavy branding and publicity; and maybe, just maybe…. attract the needed attention to my home town to make it a bubbling place.

Have anyone done something in his rural community no matter how small the project is? Or you have any idea on how I do this better? Please share. Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by youngest85(m): 8:22pm On Sep 29, 2018
How did you win from today's bet?
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by purem(m): 8:33pm On Sep 29, 2018
You think say all this stuff you mentioned up dia na 1milion u go take achieve dem abi

is better u goan buy bicycles for some youths to be hustling with, they will pray for you
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 8:36pm On Sep 29, 2018
youngest85:
How did you win from today's bet?
I don't understand your question and i don't do bet. Thanks
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 8:39pm On Sep 29, 2018
purem:
You think say all this stuff you mentioned up dia na 1milion u go take achieve dem abi

is better u goan buy bicycles for some youths to be hustling with, they will pray for you
I stated clearly that i have access to finance. Thanks for your suggestion all the same.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by royalads: 8:51pm On Sep 29, 2018
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by amaniro: 8:53pm On Sep 29, 2018
Build shops for petty traders, sponsor children to school, build bore holes enabling villagers to get access to good water. Try to negotiate with PHCN on consistent light supply. And they will literally kiss your foot.
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 9:03pm On Sep 29, 2018
amaniro:
Build shops for petty traders, sponsor children to school, build bore holes enabling villagers to get access to good water. Try to negotiate with PHCN on consistent light supply. And they will literally kiss your foot.
Thanks for your suggestion. The problem i have with this is that it amounts to giving my people fish. What about the next 5 - 10years? Can i be able to sustain that as an individual? But if i start an industry, then employ people. The employees may need to rent a place in my town, patronize the small shops and so on. That's the kind of long term economic multiplier effect i am looking for.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by amaniro: 9:10pm On Sep 29, 2018
222Martins:
Thanks for your suggestion. The problem i have with this is that it amounts to giving my people fish. What about the next 5 - 10years? Can i be able to sustain that as an individual? But if i start an industry, then employee people. The employees may need to rent a place in my town, patronize the small shops and so on. That's the kind of long term economic multiplier effect i am looking for.

Work in corporation with state or local government to foster quick development. What's the state to be precise and the local government to vindicate my suggestion??
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 9:18pm On Sep 29, 2018
amaniro:
Okay, i considered your points now more deeply. Here's my thought:

1. Sponsor children to school? - My state offers free education to all indigenes from primary to university. It's been on for the last 7 years, so this won't fly.

2. Build shops for petty traders? - For free?? I don't see how the will add to the bottom line of my community. Most communities or towns in my state have their already established open markets.

3. Build boreholes? - That's a NO-NO.

4. Negotiate with PHCN, Now EEDC in my state? - Yea, this is a good idea but giving steady light to villagers in their residence...Hmmmmm. If only i have an find a way to attract artisans or businesses that needs power supply steady to community and get their commitment to relocate, then i do this. I will still do this anyway, that's if i go ahead with the idea of siting an industry in my town.
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 9:21pm On Sep 29, 2018
amaniro:

Work in corporation with state or local government to foster quick development. What's the state to be precise and the local government to vindicate my suggestion??
I wouldn't want to give precise location for privacy purposes.. But with the pointer i gave, you can deduce it. My State is located in the South East and offers Free education to indigenes from Primary to University. Thanks for your suggestion, it was very helpful.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by icon02(m): 9:23pm On Sep 29, 2018
THE BIG IDEA
MAKE 10 NEW MILLIONAIRES FROM YOUR VILLAGE EVERY 5 YEARS THROUGH AGRICULTURE
HOW: Create a youth empowerment foundation.
Announce your vision and mission to the whole community.
Have those interested write a qualification exams, select the best 10
Assemble a team of experts to train them on specially chosen agricultural production with high roi
Train some in agricultural produce supply and trading
Give them a grant non interest grant of 1m each
Place them under strict supervision for five years
They must have finished paying the grant after five years
Re-invest the money on new pole
Start the circle again
You should have successfully made a 40 millionaires after 7 years
They'll respect you more than the state Governor in your local government
If you sneeze everyone sincerely catches a cold.
Pm me if you want to hear more
NB. Don't spend your money building physical structure but in building people who'll build structures

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 9:26pm On Sep 29, 2018
royalads:
Why did you edit your comment, just when i was about replying. A Skill acquisition center or something similar to TEEP (Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Program) on a local level is a good idea. But Nigerians have a knack for not repaying grants and loans. And if you hound them for it, they start seeing you in a different light......and you know the rest
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by amaniro: 9:34pm On Sep 29, 2018
222Martins:
Okay, i considered your points now more deeply. Here's my thought:

1. Sponsor children to school? - My state offers free education to all indigenes from primary to university. It's been on for the last 7 years, so this won't fly.

2. Build shops for petty traders? - For free?? I don't see how the will add to the bottom line of my community. Most communities or towns in my state have their already established open markets.

3. Build boreholes? - That's a NO-NO.

4. Negotiate with PHCN, Now EEDC in my state? - Yea, this is a good idea but giving steady light to villagers in their residence...Hmmmmm. If only i have an find a way to attract artisans or businesses that needs power supply steady to community and get their commitment to relocate, then i do this. I will still do this anyway, that's if i go ahead with the idea of siting an industry in my town.

No shame disclosing your state of origin. Am from abia state and Umuahia to be precise. Though I get your point. The fact is that with the name of the state i can quickly fish out the state problem effectively.
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by icon02(m): 9:35pm On Sep 29, 2018
222Martins:
Why did you edit your comment, just when i was about replying. A Skill acquisition center or something similar to TEEP (Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Program) on a local level is a good idea. But Nigerians have a knack for not repaying grants and loans. And if you hound them for it, they start seeing you in a different light......and you know the rest

There's a model you can use to retrieve the grant such that they'll only know that they have money they can trade with but there is a limit to what they can withdraw from it.you'll never give them full access to the raw cash, you can convert it to coupon for them

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by polimaf(m): 9:45pm On Sep 29, 2018
first of all, you are scared of losing your investment which means what you intend doing is not a social enterprise.

I think building an industry will be a good idea, or build mini power solar systems for the locals and let them have access to portable electricity which I think is a major problem in the East. They will pay for this power but you will finance the project and give them access to pay monthly at an affordable rate.

t

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 9:49pm On Sep 29, 2018
amaniro:

No shame disclosing your state of origin. Am from abia state and Umuahia to be precise. Though I get your point. The fact is that with the name of the state i can quickly fish out the state problem effectively.
Mbano, Imo state.
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by amaniro: 9:57pm On Sep 29, 2018
222Martins:
Isiala Mbano, Imo state.

Good.

Well as of IMO I can't really dictate on what to do and what not to do but agriculture. Education. foreign investment are necessary.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by Zahmanny50: 10:40pm On Sep 29, 2018
Build an agricultural Institute where you can educate them on the importance of agriculture.. Let them know the greener pasture they are looking for is not far from them..
Then alongside that start up an agro investment opportunity I RECOMMEND poultry farming (EGG PRODUCTION) LET THEM ENGAGE IN ONE OR TWO AGRO BIZ IN OTHER TO ERADICATE POVERTY
222Martins:

Good day Nairalanders,

I have a burden to give back to my home town by making a couple of investments but I lack ideas. I searched Nairaland to see if someone has done something similar but nothing came up.

Option 1. Build a school – This is not a good idea for now as the literacy level in my state is very high and my state offers free education up to university level.

Option 2. Set up a Skill Acquisition Center – To train and give grants to SMEs. This seems like a plausible idea but given the mentality of Nigerians (YouWin and BOA schemes as a case study); the beneficiaries may simply disappear with the grants.

Option 3. Set up an Industry – Probably a Factory, MicroFinance Bank, School, Hotel, Greenhouse farm or Livestock farm or anything that has the capacity to employ at least 50 people. This is probably the best bet given the multiplier effect this would have on the economy of my home town while we still make money out of it.

I have access to finance, and I want to invest N10M per year over the next 10 years. I can shorten the investment time frame if we see potential in the first 3 years. If we can execute OPTION 3 successfully, we can do some CSR projects, sponsor our annual community festival and football competition with heavy branding and publicity; and maybe, just maybe…. attract the needed attention to my home town to make it a bubbling place.

Have anyone done something in his rural community no matter how small the project is? Or you have any idea on how I do this better? Please share. Thank you

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by Okeytus(m): 10:57pm On Sep 29, 2018
I think building an industry that can strive very well there will spontaneously bring great development in your hometown. Grants, loans and skill acquisitions wont do much work because the government are already into it and the people of now adays prefer to acquire skills when there is great need for it. So if you suceed in siting an industry there, the people will see need to acquire skills so as to easily fit in for employment.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by Laird(m): 11:59pm On Sep 29, 2018
Farm + poultry +industry +trade hub

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by Miradamian: 4:42am On Sep 30, 2018
purem:

. She said 10million per year.ode.read an understanding u said no

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by generationz(f): 10:21am On Sep 30, 2018
222Martins:
Thanks for your suggestion. The problem i have with this is that it amounts to giving my people fish. What about the next 5 - 10years? Can i be able to sustain that as an individual? But if i start an industry, then employee people. The employees may need to rent a place in my town, patronize the small shops and so on. That's the kind of long term economic multiplier effect i am looking for.

you know already so why the thread asking questions?

If you choose to go into farming there are one or two nairalanders who are versed in agric
relates issues. one I know of is stagger.

Just Go to the Agriculture section on nairaland. I'm sure you would learn a lot from there and connect with lots of like minded individuals.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by loyedammy: 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2018
222Martins:

Good day Nairalanders,

I think the greatest service you can render to your people is to build standard hostels.
there is a huge deficit in housing schemes in nigeria, as there are countless graduates looking for where to stay at little or no cost.

this can also increase your profile rating if you want to go into politics. pm me for a more detailed plan

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 4:02pm On Sep 30, 2018
polimaf:
first of all, you are scared of losing your investment which means what you intend doing is not a social enterprise.

I think building an industry will be a good idea, or build mini power solar systems for the locals and let them have access to portable electricity which I think is a major problem in the East. They will pay for this power but you will finance the project and give them access to pay monthly at an affordable rate.

t
I am not scared of losing my investment, i have sure counted my cost before deciding to site in a rural area. My problem with social enterprises is that while it benefits the beneficiaries and does a lot of good, the people tend not to be truly empowered. Most social enterprises tend to keep people dependent on the scheme especially in the long run.
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by kellyboo: 4:28pm On Sep 30, 2018
Open a solar barbing salon for 5 youth..they don't need to buy generator none fuel..strictly solar..
Its damn affordable.
Contact me on 07038567494

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by ponti93(m): 5:53pm On Sep 30, 2018
amaniro:
and after four years join politics and come out for councilorship or lga chairman grin, after expand your generosity to other villages and wards and literally start planning for house of reps or assembly grin

1 Like

Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by ponti93(m): 5:54pm On Sep 30, 2018
kellyboo:
Open a solar barbing salon for 5 youth..they don't need to buy generator none fuel..strictly solar..
Its damn affordable.
Contact me on 07038567494
give us the cost
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 12:54am On Oct 01, 2018
ponti93:
and after four years join politics and come out for councilorship or lga chairman grin, after expand your generosity to other villages and wards and literally start planning for house of reps or assembly grin
Join politics? That's not an option. I can't trade the peace of mind I am enjoying now for anything. I am better off a business man. The least I can do is sponsor or donate to a political aspirant; and this would be done under the radar.
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by Lubebay: 7:17am On Oct 01, 2018
Build an industry since you have access to fund
industry
Pure water
Disposable plate
Nylon
or a distribution unit (clothes, boxers, drinks, beverages )
population is key to the above
stated items
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by 222Martins(m): 9:56am On Oct 01, 2018
generationz:

you know already so why the thread asking questions?

If you choose to go into farming there are one or two nairalanders who are versed in agric
relates issues. one I know of is stagger.

Just Go to the Agriculture section on nairaland. I'm sure you would learn a lot from there and connect with lots of like minded individuals.
I follow the Agric section, and already have a lot of pages bookmarked and individuals followed. I like the kind of work Pavore9 is doing in Kenya. If he ever indicates interest in bringing his knowledge to Nigeria, then maybe.....just maybe we can work out something.
Re: I Want To Invest In My Home Town And Hopefully Attract Attention; Any Ideas? by generationz(f): 10:02am On Oct 01, 2018
222Martins:
I follow the Agric section, and already have a lot of pages bookmarked and individuals followed. I like the kind of work Pavore9 is doing in Kenya. If he ever indicates interest in bringing his knowledge to Nigeria, then maybe.....just maybe we can work out something.

cool

check my siggy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Urgent Answers Needed On Gtbank Credit Card / Tsu: The New Social Network That Pays You For Posting, Commenting, Making Friend / Tips On Establishing A Creche And Day Care Center.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.