Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,703 members, 7,813,323 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man (4284 Views)

Igbo Picnic: 2023 Families Picnics Sponsored By Igbo Union Stockholm (IUS), Swed / Commonly Answered Igbo Names By Igbo States In Alphabetical Order / Ijesa Indigenes In Canada Elect Okey Paulicap Okeke, Igbo Man As President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 7:20am On Sep 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some advice on the matter from you all's perspective. Is the father obligated to the child when conceived out of wedlock?
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by youngest85(m): 7:21am On Sep 30, 2018
Let's see your baby bump first, so we know it's not a cooked up story
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 7:31am On Sep 30, 2018
That seems excessive. I'm not sure what "reward" I would receive for lying.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by frankfrancis871: 8:21am On Sep 30, 2018
*mordified* short answer-YES Of course he has rights and obligation to the child. Sorry can't say more cos I don't understand your question. Are you asking base on Igbo culture cos many Igbo tribes got their own cultures meanwhile I don't know much on Igbo culture cos I didn't grow up there
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by thorpido(m): 8:45am On Sep 30, 2018
Is he planning to marry you?
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 3:29pm On Sep 30, 2018
frankfrancis871:
*mordified* short answer-YES Of course he has rights and obligation to the child. Sorry can't say more cos I don't understand your question. Are you asking base on Igbo culture cos many Igbo tribes got their own cultures meanwhile I don't know much on Igbo culture cos I didn't grow up there

Yes, based on Igbo culture is he obligated to the child even though I'm not an Igbo woman (from my knowledge). He hasn't been part of the pregnancy so far and refuses to speak to me period. Does Igbo culture condone that behavior towards me? Is his behavior normal?
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2018
thorpido:
Is he planning to marry you?

No
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by frankfrancis871: 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2018
Nyu424:

Yes, based on Igbo culture is he obligated to the child even though I'm not an Igbo woman (from my knowledge). He hasn't been part of the pregnancy so far and refuses to speak to me period. Does Igbo culture condone that behavior towards me? Is his behavior normal?
No @bolded Biafrans (Igbo to be precise) have beautiful cultures, respect their women, face their marital and parental obligations, his behaviour is abnormal and contrary to every right thinking Igbo person beliefs, his behaviour is abnormal and childish. No tradition stop one from being a good person

Maybe there are factors making him behave like that:
1. His parents dictates for him (which is almost impossible)
2. He is not ready to be a man and a father (which is weird to me since he's in his mid thirties)

you've got to talk to him or possibly his parents or relatives.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by thorpido(m): 4:10pm On Sep 30, 2018
Nyu424:

Not to my knowledge. He doesn't want me contacting him unless it's about an abortion. I believe he expects to marry an Igbo woman in the future to please his family, which I understand now.
From the bolded,I guess you realise he doesn't want the baby and probably the relationship with you.
If you're keeping the baby,he might not be involved in his/her life.Just sue his @ss for child support.
The Igbo culture doesn't make him responsible for the baby since he didn't or hasn't married you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 1:01am On Oct 01, 2018
thorpido:
From the bolded,I guess you realise he doesn't want the baby and probably the relationship with you.
If you're keeping the baby,he might not be involved in his/her life.Just sue his @ss for child support.
The Igbo culture doesn't make him responsible for the baby since he didn't or hasn't married you.

I don't understand the hostile change of heart. My concern is the child not the relationship.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by FisifunKododada: 3:30am On Oct 01, 2018
Here is my take: keep the baby. If after birth you feel you don't have what it takes to care for it give the poor soul over to an adoption agency.
It seems your baby daddy is one of those hard-heart souls and it is almost certain he will not come around.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by allcomage: 6:17am On Oct 01, 2018
Igbo have strong family bond of proper marriage. Babies born outside marriage are not cheery news in Igbo cultural and marriage setting. Better find your way on time because you are on your own.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by thorpido(m): 9:09am On Oct 01, 2018
Nyu424:

The misunderstanding there is when we went for the abortion he objected ( I was willing to abort because he said he would resent the child if I didn't) and we walked out deciding to co parent. I don't understand the hostile change of heart. My concern is the child not the romantic interaction that was once there.
He's unstable so it's important you do what's best for you.
He may come around to be responsible for the child later or he may not.
You might have to raise the child alone.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Triniti(m): 7:39am On Oct 02, 2018
Igbos generally don’t like having babies outside wedlock,maybe your baby daddy is wayward and irresponsible at his age or he might have heard a sad story that comes with baby mama. That might be reasons for his change of heart after accepting to co-parent with you.

1 Like

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by MayorofLagos(m): 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2018
Nyu424:

Nyu424:

Not to my knowledge. He doesn't want me contacting him unless it's about an abortion. I believe he expects to marry an Igbo woman in the future to please his family, which I understand now.

Lady, get the F out of here! I am not a fan of Ibo culture but I wouldn't stand for the kind of nonsense you are spewing. You are crazy, in your mid-twenty and an American to get pregnant for a man and he rejects the pregnancy, then you come to internet for consultation. Tidy your pussy up and face front, you and your unborn child. This is Nigeria, dont bring that nonsense here. Id1ot!

1 Like

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 5:15pm On Oct 02, 2018
MayorofLagos:

Lady, get the F out of here! I am not a fan of Ibo culture but I wouldn't stand for the kind of nonsense you are spewing. You are crazy, in your mid-twenty and an American to get pregnant for a man and he rejects the pregnancy, then you come to internet for consultation. Tidy your pussy up and face front, you and your unborn child. This is Nigeria, dont bring that nonsense here. Id1ot!

So it's b.s. there's an unplanned pregnancy and I'm keeping it or b.s. that I'm mentioning it on the site. If insight can be given on a sad situation such as this one what's the issue? You mention nothing of his wrongdoing since he is actually Ibo and knows what his culture would think of it actions, but didn't have enough respect to be careful. By the way, he's told me once before that he had an abortion in his prior relationship, but only revealed that information after we had conceived. Maybe your bro should wrap up because my legs stayed closed before this snake entered my life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 5:18pm On Oct 02, 2018
allcomage:
Igbo have strong family bond of proper marriage. Babies born outside marriage are not cheery news in Igbo cultural and marriage setting. Better find your way on time because you are on your own.

It's not cheery news in my culture neither. Basically, the child pays for the sins of his parents even though Ibos are supposed to respect life and the word of God? It's not good news, but nowhere does it say the child is the problem and not a blessing.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by MayorofLagos(m): 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2018
Nyu424:

So it's b.s. there's an unplanned pregnancy and I'm keeping it or b.s. that I'm mentioning it on the site. If insight can be given on a sad situation such as this one what's the issue? You mention nothing of his wrongdoing since he is actually Ibo and knows what his culture would think of it actions, but didn't have enough respect to be careful. By the way, he's told me once before that he had an abortion in his prior relationship, but only revealed that information after we had conceived. Maybe your bro should wrap up because my legs stayed closed before this snake entered my life.

Mid-20s, pregnant...here are your needs in order of priority

1 - medical care for prenatal checks
2 - good and reliable income for food and nutrition
3 - a job with medicat, dental and maternity benefits
4 - family support (this is where Ibo culture comes in)

So the family here in Nairaland should not be your first stop. Before coming here you need local support amongst his Ibo circle of family or friends. There are Ibo communities in your area, find them on internet and then make a contact to go visit and get support for you and your baby. Get some sense and tidy up.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 02, 2018
Nyu424:

Don't quote that hate filled, bitter idiot again. He is not even igbo but a yoruba, pay him no mind.

1 Like

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by morpheus24: 8:09pm On Oct 03, 2018
Nyu424:

poster, you grammar and they way to write is very indicative of Nigerian grammar.

You are suspect my dear

2 Likes

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by HORRORIZON: 10:00pm On Oct 07, 2018
morpheus24:

poster, you grammar and they way to write is very indicative of Nigerian grammar.

You are suspect my dear

How so? I'm AA and she seems perfectly AA to me.

1 Like

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by morpheus24: 4:23pm On Oct 08, 2018
HORRORIZON:

How so? I'm AA and she seems perfectly AA to me.

"Yes, based on Igbo culture is he obligated to the child even though I'm not an Igbo woman (from my knowledge). He hasn't been part of the pregnancy so far and refuses to speak to me period. Does Igbo culture condone that behavior towards me? Is his behavior normal?"

Her is an example of Nigerian grammar. Look at the bolded. I don't normally hear AA use this particular word in sentence formations.

The rest of her responses are filled with Nigerian type indiosyncrasy.

The poster is suspect

1 Like

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 9:51pm On Oct 10, 2018
morpheus24:

"Yes, based on Igbo culture is he obligated to the child even though I'm not an Igbo woman (from my knowledge). He hasn't been part of the pregnancy so far and refuses to speak to me period. Does Igbo culture condone that behavior towards me? Is his behavior normal?"

Her is an example of Nigerian grammar. Look at the bolded. I don't normally hear AA use this particular word in sentence formations.

The poster is suspect

I'm AA. I don't believe you're a linguist, so I wouldn't stand too close to your own opinion. Unfortunately, I deviated from my character and am now having to manage the consequences on my own. Although the father is 33, he has chosen, as far as I am aware to evade responsibility. I hope our son doesn't adopt such qualities. I appreciate everyones answers. I'm only trying to do what's best for the child, my God and represent the boldness and character of my ancestors, no matter the shame I might bare for it in a particular community. God knows my heart and the right man for me and of my desire will admire my character.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 9:55pm On Oct 10, 2018
Tushkito:

Don't quote that hate filled, bitter idiot again. He is not even igbo but a yoruba, pay him no mind.

Who is Yoruba? Who are you referring to exactly? I don't understand your post because I'm AA.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 10:02pm On Oct 10, 2018
MayorofLagos:

Mid-20s, pregnant...here are your needs in order of priority

1 - medical care for prenatal checks
2 - good and reliable income for food and nutrition
3 - a job with medicat, dental and maternity benefits
4 - family support (this is where Ibo culture comes in)

So the family here in Nairaland should not be your first stop. Before coming here you need local support amongst his Ibo circle of family or friends. There are Ibo communities in your area, find them on internet and then make a contact to go visit and get support for you and your baby. Get some sense and tidy up.

I agree, it should not be my first stop and it wasn't, I'm just open to the opinion of others. Thanks for your list, I agree with your order of priorities. I do have sense, but thank you for your advice. I hope the father, a member of your community gains sense someday. I didn't know Nigerian men could be so immature when it came to responsibility and managing duties over preference. Sounds like he needs some tidying up, especially with a previous abortion under his belt. I am quite tidy as well, I just chose the one wrong man. Don't throw stones from a glass house love!
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 10:07pm On Oct 10, 2018
frankfrancis871:
No @bolded Biafrans (Igbo to be precise) have beautiful cultures, respect their women, face their marital and parental obligations, his behaviour is abnormal and contrary to every right thinking Igbo person beliefs, his behaviour is abnormal and childish. No tradition stop one from being a good person

Maybe there are factors making him behave like that:
1. His parents dictates for him (which is almost impossible)
2. He is not ready to be a man and a father (which is weird to me since he's in his mid thirties)

you've got to talk to him or possibly his parents or relatives.

Thank you for your advice. Would it not be inappropriate of me to contact somebody like his mom?
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 10:13pm On Oct 10, 2018
MayorofLagos:

Why so aggressive? Nonsense in what way? Nigeria in the shape of a man brought himself to the States to mess around with women and compromise their integrity. Your statement reveals a lot about your own character. Your image of African women from the States is lazy, read a book and learn your history.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 10:17pm On Oct 10, 2018
Triniti:
Igbos generally don’t like having babies outside wedlock,maybe your baby daddy is wayward and irresponsible at his age or he might have heard a sad story that comes with baby mama. That might be reasons for his change of heart after accepting to co-parent with you.

Maybe.
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by HORRORIZON: 12:32am On Oct 11, 2018
morpheus24:

The poster is suspect

LOL. That's ridiculous. If that's your experience, then it's pretty obvious that you haven't spent much time around us. We say that ish all the time, especially when we want to make our point clear or express the severity of our words, and usually done in a very stern or sassy way. smiley

1 Like

Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by Nyu424: 1:26am On Oct 11, 2018
HORRORIZON:

LOL. That's ridiculous. If that's your experience, then it's pretty obvious that you haven't spent much time around us. We say that ish all the time, especially when we want to make our point clear or express the severity of our words, and usually done in a very stern or sassy way. smiley
Re: AA Woman Pregnant By Igbo Man by frankfrancis871: 7:15am On Oct 11, 2018
Nyu424:

Thank you for your advice. Would it not be inappropriate of me to contact somebody like his mom? Should I wait until the child is born to pursue such an interaction? He changes his mind too much for me to make an accurate depiction of his character, but as of now I'm going through this pregnancy alone. He's giving me the silent treatment, won't answer any texts, emails or calls, which is different compared to our previous interactions.
The truth is he might not take it likely with if you talk to his parents or relative. But that's the only thing I can recommend if you need help because from the way he acts, the man is probably not ready for marriage or being a father. But be careful, such people could be bad-tempered..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Afon District Union. Afon Kwara State / I Cant Cook Soup Well: Need Help / Photos: Ooni Of Ife In Modakeke For Akoraye Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.