Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,303 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (124293 Views)

Video Of Stranded Nigerians, Africans At Ukraine/Poland Border / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread / Toni Iwobi: I Will Deport Nigerians, Africans Without Papers In Italy" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 5:57am On Feb 12, 2019
Mintmoney:

I was actually reading about Lutheran Church yesterday and I I leanrt its the National Church there in Finland. The church history strong shaa

Yes you’re right...The history is mind blowing and it’s highly respected throughout Finland

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Vjsprinkle: 11:57pm On Feb 16, 2019
Bro Zlatan...How does the Finland method of school fees work?..is it through block account ? And do you have any idea of the amount for undergraduate?
Abeg Shay any information on Latvia �� Or Lithuania ��?..as per study levels
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Kingzy4pep(m): 4:54pm On Feb 17, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

Yes you’re right...The history is mind blowing and it’s highly respected throughout Finland
Sent you a pm. Wanna get some info from you.

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 2:44am On Feb 18, 2019
ibrahimovic303:
Sorry guys...had been blown away with school assignments + Work and side hustles matters, but I’m a little free now at least from school stuffs so I can attend to your queries as always smiley

Big boss...I hail oo
Been reading from the first page up until now

May God continually open doors for you jaree
I really appreciate your commitment And the vital information you put out here for the benefit of every reader....

I have a B.Sc in Political Science, I'm a skilled photographer but I want to do my masters in Marketing. Because I'm passionate about business. Hustle na the 411
I've not served yet
I plan to write PTE (PEARSON'S TEST OF ENGLISH) soon

I've considered a lot of options.... UK, US, Canada, Australia (the big places) but their tuition dey scare me
I also considered applying for scholarships and all too but i really don't know much about how to do that

I've checked out a couple of scholarship options... already reached out to some universities and they were offering 30-50% off but, omo...the remaining millions ��

I finally resorted to settle down for tuition free countries... Germany, Norway (learnt Finland stopped being tuition free).

I like Germany but I don't think they're sociable. I learnt that they're so reserved...their language and all. I think that maybe a problem
Free tuition
Yes...the German economy is the largest in Europe.
They use euros and the cost of living maybe lower than Norway. And of course, they're part of the Schengen agreement.
The opportunities there are more for engineers and serious career people which my career no fall in for (photography and Marketing/business)

Norway...they use Norwegian Krone which is way less in value than the Euro (they're not in the European union)
Free tuition
I learnt they're more friendly and have more fun stuff to do
You rightly acknowledged that *all work and no play can get you frustrated and depressed*
They're part of the Schengen agreement equally and their standard of education and living is quite high
A greater majority of them speak English though you'll still need a good knowledge of Norwegian and Swedish to get access to more job opps

They also Grant PR after 3 years....M.sc is 2 years (it's counted for you) and they can grant you a job-seeker permit for 1 year if you apply (as I learnt)....making it 3 years

All these things sound so juicy ���

No be just to school I dey go...I dey reason take up one or two jobs to make ends meet
And further my career

So boss... Abeg from your experience as you don dey Finland
You don get full-time experience...and you go fit give me some kain information way I no go fit see for Google

Factors:
Life after schooling....job opportunities and possibility of staying back
Little funds available
Efficiency of the cert
Then the strength of the currency

Based on every every
Where do you advise I go?

Thanks �

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 2:49am On Feb 18, 2019
Cookee:

Being expensive, does it mean guys studying dia won't be able to get job that could pay dia tuition and maintenance fee..
Is it dat u can't get normal unskilled job dag could pay heavily dia as a student? ??

A lot of people are saying studying and living in Norway is expensive ��

Is it that an international student (who has a block account) cannot manage the funds, get a menial and survive there while studying please?

Referring to M.Sc students
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 2:57am On Feb 18, 2019
ibrahimovic303:
Sorry guys...had been blown away with school assignments + Work and side hustles matters, but I’m a little free now at least from school stuffs so I can attend to your queries as always smiley

On another note...I really admire what you're doing
I plan to do this one a bigger scale with my photography skill

Get active here equally
Then create a blog to equip people with useful information

So....my intention of going out isn't for just personal reasons
I wan help people too

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Braket: 9:42am On Feb 18, 2019
Gerardmajella:

Big boss...I hail oo

I really appreciate your commitment And the vital information you put out here for the benefit of every reader....

I have a B.Sc in Political Science, I'm a skilled photographer but I want to do my masters in Marketing. Because I'm passionate about business. Hustle na the 411
I've not served yet

I've considered a lot of options.... UK, US, Canada, Australia (the big places) but their tuition dey scare me
I also considered applying for scholarships and all too but i really don't know much about how to do that

I've checked out a couple of scholarship options... already reached out to some universities and they were offering 30-50% off but, omo...the remaining millions ��

I finally resorted to settle down for tuition free countries... Germany, Norway (learnt Finland stopped being tuition free).

I like Germany but I don't think they're sociable. I learnt that they're so reserved...their language and all. I think that maybe a problem
Free tuition
They use euros and the cost of living maybe lower than Norway. And of course, they're part of the Schengen agreement.
The opportunities there are more for engineers and serious career people which my career no fall in for (photography and Marketing/business)

Norway...they use Norwegian Krone which is way less in value than the Euro (they're not in the European union)
Free tuition
You rightly acknowledged that *all work and no play can get you frustrated and depressed*
They're part of the Schengen agreement equally and their standard of education and living is quite high
A greater majority of them speak English though you'll still need a good knowledge of Norwegian and Swedish to get access to more job opps

They also Grant PR after 3 years....M.sc is 2 years (it's counted for you) and they can grant you a job-seeker permit for 1 year if you apply (as I learnt)....making it 3 years

No be just to school I dey go...I dey reason take up one or two jobs to make ends meet
And further my career

You don get full-time experience...and you go fit give me some kain information way I no go fit see for Google

Factors:
Little funds available
Efficiency of the cert

Based on every every

Thanks �
You can still make money with your Photography skills in Germany. Just find yourself in big cities and socialize well and make use of the social media platform. I believe something will come out of it from you.

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Hannahlyka: 10:45am On Feb 18, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

Of course you can...you will target summer jobs and with holidays from school, you can work your ass off and gather your money for your permit renewal
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2019
Gerardmajella:

Big boss...I hail oo

I've not served yet

Free tuition

Free tuition

And further my career

Factors:
Little funds available
Efficiency of the cert

Based on every every

Thanks �
Bro if you have a knack for German(High German), you can go to Germany. If you can speak and understand German, I think you will be fine. And Germans are not that reserved ooo, just start with "Guten Tag" all other things will follow. One thing I notice about Germans is that they want you to love their country + learn and love their language + love them for who they are + accept their culture + be productive in the country, once you can do all these, they will love you to pieces.
Regarding Norway, oboi I dey eye that country no be small. But that country is EXPENSIVE. Before you enter Norway, have at least $15000 for up keep for 5 month, whether you have scholarship or not, very important is to learn the language oo, yes 91% of Norwegians speaks English, but Norwegians are SHY to speak English, learn about how to deal with cold and depression. Norway is cold and depressing, Midnight sun and Darkness go just depress you. If you have SAD(seasonal affective disorder) stay away from Norway.
How do I know all of these, I have friends on social media who are in these countries.
But las las, Norway for the WIN.

5 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 6:13pm On Feb 18, 2019
Gerardmajella:

Is it that an international student (who has a block account) cannot manage the funds, get a menial and survive there while studying please?

Bros DONT MOVE TO NORWAY WITHOUT ENOUGH FUNDS.
About getting menial jobs:
You can only get a job, after you have learn Norsk(Norwegian).
Job Market in Norway:
Norway job market is highly educated. I am talking of a job market where 85% have at least Bsc and 35% have a Masters, so getting a job will be intense.
Be prepared before you fly to Norway.

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by error4040: 1:10am On Feb 19, 2019
the OP have been silent lately, Sha hope all is Well this one him no show face this Weekend

cc ibrahimovic303

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 1:14pm On Feb 19, 2019
Braket:

You can still make money with your Photography skills in Germany. Just find yourself in big cities and socialize well and make use of the social media platform. I believe something will come out of it from you.

Thanks for your input
I appreciate it
I'll consider what you said about social media...
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 1:23pm On Feb 19, 2019
olioxx:

Bro if you have a knack for German(High German), you can go to Germany. If you can speak and understand German, I think you will be fine. And Germans are not that reserved ooo, just start with "Guten Tag" all other things will follow. One thing I notice about Germans is that they want you to love their country + learn and love their language + love them for who they are + accept their culture + be productive in the country, once you can do all these, they will love you to pieces.
Regarding Norway, oboi I dey eye that country no be small. But that country is EXPENSIVE. Before you enter Norway, have at least $15000 for up keep for 5 month, whether you have scholarship or not, very important is to learn the language oo, yes 91% of Norwegians speaks English, but Norwegians are SHY to speak English, learn about how to deal with cold and depression. Norway is cold and depressing, Midnight sun and Darkness go just depress you. If you have SAD(seasonal affective disorder) stay away from Norway.
How do I know all of these, I have friends on social media who are in these countries.
But las las, Norway for the WIN.

Good afternoon. I really appreciate your input

Concerning the abroad plan (choice between Norway and Germany)..
I'm going there primarily for study (M.Sc Marketing). Not necessarily relocation
Mind you....all universities there (Norway) are state-owned thus, tuition free for both EU/EEA and International students... irrespective of your nationality.

In Norway, everyone is required to have at least NOK 116 369 which when converted to NGN is #4.8m approximately #5m
I calculated the cost for Germany too...it's About #4m

Thats for the block account oo...it can take care of accommodation, feeding and transportation for a while

I don't know how long though
Which means....with this fund, I'll be able to survive as a student in Norway since all schools are tuition free

But of course, I'll have to look out for menial jobs... To add to what I have
I learnt there are some jobs you can take that doesn't require you to understand Norwegian fully (restaurant, hotel, etc).

Jobs that require a good knowledge of Norwegian are corporate jobs

Though I plan to start learning the language (the basics atleast) for now... referring to Norwegian

So....the cost is almost same (Norway and Germany) as per block account.
I'm not sure if all schools in Germany are tuition-free. I know some are.

But the information is not really clear

I'm really not comfortable with Germany.... because I don't have sufficient information (that's why I'm asking)
I learnt one has to go through Goethe Institute first...but it's not same for Norwegian
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 1:27pm On Feb 19, 2019
olioxx:

Bros DONT MOVE TO NORWAY WITHOUT ENOUGH FUNDS.
About getting menial jobs:
You can only get a job, after you have learn Norsk(Norwegian).
Job Market in Norway:
Norway job market is highly educated. I am talking of a job market where 85% have at least Bsc and 35% have a Masters, so getting a job will be intense.
Be prepared before you fly to Norway.

The basic funds I need as I learnt is NOK 116 369
I responded to the comment before yours stating that there are little jobs one can get without a full knowledge of Norwegian...

Though I plan to start learning Norwegian before leaving

I'm with the comments about Norway, I'm beginning to get worried....the emphasis on funds and expenses and the high cost of living cry
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 1:27pm On Feb 19, 2019
error4040:
the OP have been silent lately, Sha hope all is Well this one him no show face this Weekend

cc ibrahimovic303

I noticed that

I hope he's okay
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by DemigodZeus147(m): 4:39pm On Feb 19, 2019
Gerardmajella:

I noticed that

I hope he's okay

He should, Ibra Na Man-man

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by tobensin84: 12:30am On Feb 20, 2019
Zlant.... I just finished reading thru this thread from beginning to the end... Great job u r doing .... Am to collect my Schengen tourist visa tomorrow which am sure is positive... I plan to come in to potugaly before moving to Switzerland.... Ofcourse to work... What can u say of that place n what's r ur other advice where to easily get work permit. Thanks
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 10:06am On Feb 20, 2019
Chaii my people here oh make una nor vex...I go dedicate from this evening till weekend to address every mention here and comments plus I dey go boat cruise via viking Liner to Stockholm so photos go flood here this weekend ni...Thanks for your well wishes I’m fine, na just hustle and school as usual...I hail my people smiley

PS: I dey go with just my Tanzanian friend cos Naija boys for Vaasa & Seinäjoki still dey try recover from spending for Naija for Xmas, but na road trip from Vaasa to Turku then Stockholm for Sweden, so e go stew just now for here wink

7 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Hadampson(m): 10:25am On Feb 20, 2019
Gerardmajella:

Good afternoon. I really appreciate your input

Concerning the abroad plan (choice between Norway and Germany)..
I'm going there primarily for study (M.Sc Marketing). Not necessarily relocation
Mind you....all universities there (Norway) are state-owned thus, tuition free for both EU/EEA and International students... irrespective of your nationality.

In Norway, everyone is required to have at least NOK 116 369 which when converted to NGN is #4.8m approximately #5m
I calculated the cost for Germany too...it's About #4m

Thats for the block account oo...it can take care of accommodation, feeding and transportation for a while

I don't know how long though
Which means....with this fund, I'll be able to survive as a student in Norway since all schools are tuition free

But of course, I'll have to look out for menial jobs... To add to what I have
I learnt there are some jobs you can take that doesn't require you to understand Norwegian fully (restaurant, hotel, etc).

Jobs that require a good knowledge of Norwegian are corporate jobs

Though I plan to start learning the language (the basics atleast) for now... referring to Norwegian

So....the cost is almost same (Norway and Germany) as per block account.
I'm not sure if all schools in Germany are tuition-free. I know some are.

But the information is not really clear

I'm really not comfortable with Germany.... because I don't have sufficient information (that's why I'm asking)
I learnt one has to go through Goethe Institute first...but it's not same for Norwegian

Wrong. You don't need to go to Goethe institute before you can apply. Although there are some courses like medicine, aerospace engineering and law just to mention a few that requires a good knowledge of German before you can apply.

As for insufficient information, help yourself here

https://www.nairaland.com/4566903/general-german-student-visa-enquiries

#Shalom

3 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Hadampson(m): 10:55am On Feb 20, 2019
Gerardmajella:

The basic funds I need as I learnt is NOK 116 369
I responded to the comment before yours stating that there are little jobs one can get without a full knowledge of Norwegian...

Though I plan to start learning Norwegian before leaving

I'm with the comments about Norway, I'm beginning to get worried....the emphasis on funds and expenses and the high cost of living cry

If you ask me, i would advice you choose Germany. Norway and Germany are great countries but I would definitely pick Germany anytime anyday

Reason :

1) Easier to make friends, German are a little more sociable (not all of them) than Norwegians.Talking from my own perspective. I have met alot online and i can tell you germans are more sociable than Norwegians

2) You have access to more jobs and opportunities in Germany, the economic powerhouse of Europe wink

You have access to large market. Bigger country, bigger opportunities smiley

3) Germany is my dream country, hence my biased opinion cheesy

Having said that, Germany is a good country to study science/math/engineering courses but since your course is under humanities, i would suggest you choose Norway.

Just be prepared for their depressing dark winter.

Well, as a Nigerian that won't be a problem because the problems we face here is more than that.

Besten wünsche
#Shalom

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Hadampson(m): 11:02am On Feb 20, 2019
tobensin84:
Zlant.... I just finished reading thru this thread from beginning to the end... Great job u r doing .... Am to collect my Schengen tourist visa tomorrow which am sure is positive... I plan to come in to potugaly before moving to Switzerland.... Ofcourse to work... What can u say of that place n what's r ur other advice where to easily get work permit. Thanks

Working with a tourist visa is a crime boss.

You can't get work permit unless you follow the right path which is applying for work visa or better still, apply for permanent resident visa

#Shalom

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Hadampson(m): 11:07am On Feb 20, 2019
ibrahimovic303:
Chaii my people here oh make una nor vex...I go dedicate from this evening till weekend to address every mention here and comments plus I dey go boat cruise via viking Liner to Stockholm so photos go flood here this weekend ni...Thanks for your well wishes I’m fine, na just hustle and school as usual...I hail my people smiley

PS: I dey go with just my Tanzanian friend cos Naija boys for Vaasa & Seinäjoki still dey try recover from spending for Naija for Xmas, but na road trip from Vaasa to Turku then Stockholm for Sweden, so e go stew just now for here wink

Glad to know you are doing great boss
See, i don dey salivate already o... Better show us something now... Weekend still far o cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 8:09pm On Feb 20, 2019
Hadampson:

Glad to know you are doing great boss
See, i don dey salivate already o... Better show us something now... Weekend still far o cheesy

Lol na small small them take dey lick hot stew sha grin

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 8:12pm On Feb 20, 2019
Hadampson:

Working with a tourist visa is a crime boss.

You can't get work permit unless you follow the right path which is applying for work visa or better still, apply for permanent resident visa

#Shalom

I sha won’t advise you to work on a tourist visa because that Swiss police are a tough bunch, however Italy is a better ground to runs your matter...

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 8:15pm On Feb 20, 2019
tobensin84:

Try connect with Nigerians in Italy, and ask them how they’re running their papers matter there, Switzerland and their Police thingy are a tough bunch oh, but trust me the Italians are used to migration issues
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 8:19pm On Feb 20, 2019
Gerardmajella:

You can survive anyway, but be prepared to spend a reasonable chunk of your funds before getting the menial jobs to suffix...Whatever happens, there are Nigerians there who have survived so why can’t you survive? At least you even have the initial funds (blocked)....so you should be good to go

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 8:34pm On Feb 20, 2019
Gerardmajella:

Big boss...I hail oo

I've not served yet

Free tuition

Free tuition

And further my career

Factors:
Little funds available
Efficiency of the cert

Based on every every

Thanks �

I will advise you settle in Germany, it’s a powerhouse like you rightly said..So, while studying you will always have Summer jobs to work your ass off to save funds for school, and with your contracts from jobs you can renew your stay, then you cannot drop your photography dream for anything, as a matter of fact, it is one’s side hustle that will make you wealthy here oh, you will understand better when you land...Germany Certificate of course is powerful and highly respected too, just like other EU member states...Germany is not UK that is out for your money, after your school, you will submit your contract of Work and get an extension permit...

PS: If you are a social media influencer, you will have an edge with your photography skills for your side hustle, taking breathtaking photos and putting on IG, Twitter etc...And you can always travel on cheap ryanair flights across EU states during free periods off work, chasing the dream and securing the bag

5 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2019
Hadampson:

Wrong. You don't need to go to Goethe institute before you can apply. Although there are some courses like medicine, aerospace engineering and law just to mention a few that requires a good knowledge of German before you can apply.

As for insufficient information, help yourself here

https://www.nairaland.com/4566903/general-german-student-visa-enquiries

#Shalom

Thanks boss

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 9:56pm On Feb 20, 2019
Hadampson:

If you ask me, i would advice you choose Germany. Norway and Germany are great countries but I would definitely pick Germany anytime anyday

Reason :

1) Easier to make friends, German are a little more sociable (not all of them) than Norwegians.Talking from my own perspective. I have met alot online and i can tell you germans are more sociable than Norwegians

2) You have access to more jobs and opportunities in Germany, the economic powerhouse of Europe wink

You have access to large market. Bigger country, bigger opportunities smiley

3) Germany is my dream country, hence my biased opinion cheesy

Having said that, Germany is a good country to study science/math/engineering courses but since your course is under humanities, i would suggest you choose Norway.

Just be prepared for their depressing dark winter.

Well, as a Nigerian that won't be a problem because the problems we face here is more than that.

Besten wünsche
#Shalom

You like Germany well well ooo.
I guess you're in the sciences too.
Thank you for your input and the time you spent to type .

Much appreciated wink

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 9:57pm On Feb 20, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

Welcome back.
Omo, you dey ball like this oo

Well done boss
Things go dey stew.
Look forward to seeing the pictures cheesy
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 10:01pm On Feb 20, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

You can survive anyway, but be prepared to spend a reasonable chunk of your funds before getting the menial jobs to suffix...Whatever happens, there are Nigerians there who have survived so why can’t you survive? At least you even have the initial funds (blocked)....so you should be good to go

The block account na basic requirement for admission...so as you've said, I believe it'll go a long way

As long as there are Nigerians that have survived, by God's grace, man will make it.

Thanks for your response and encouragement

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (70) (Reply)

Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims / 44 Countries You Can Travel To With No Visa From Nigeria. / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.