Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,187 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate (58314 Views)

Bayo Adelabu Enjoying A Bowl Of Amala After Elections / Bayo Adelabu Campaign Parade Cars Caused A Lockdown In Ibadan / Bayo Adelabu ‘Penkelemesi’ Emerges Oyo APC Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by nduchucks: 10:50pm On Sep 30, 2018
Like father like son, I suppose.

Read about the real Penkelemesi here ===> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adegoke_Adelabu
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Unik3030: 10:53pm On Sep 30, 2018
chloride6:

Would he have stood any chance if he didnt initially benefit from ladoja's downfall?

Ibadan people should let oke-ogun peeps have a fair chance at the seat too.

Ibadan by land mass is just one third of oyo state.
there's nothing like fair chance in politics bro,u fight for whatever u want cos some people will always have an upper hand.adenuga pikin n waterside pikin Na God create d two of them now but u know d difference.d ghetto boy will never b given a fair chance above others but he must struggle n fight to get whatever he wants
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Nobody: 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2018
gideon1971:
Penkelemesi is he a Chinese, pls can someone first throw more light on the meaning of the name

Peculiar. Mess

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by arisekola77: 11:03pm On Sep 30, 2018
gideon1971:
Penkelemesi is he a Chinese, pls can someone first throw more light on the meaning of the name
peculiar mess and my Ibadan people turn it to penkelemesi I guess it grand pa or father name tho

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 30, 2018
Jaymaxxy:

Lol. Bro, I'm from Oke-Odo and I know what I'm saying. Okay, just get a picture of his late grandfather and check the tribal marks on his face. You should know if he is an Ibadan man or not.

I've never heard of oke-odo in Ibadan. Are you referring to oke-ado?

Please ask around. He's originally from Fiditi. A lot of people are not indigenous to Ibadan. I even heard Adedibu was not originally from Ibadan. Ibadan is just another Lagos.
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Jaymaxxy(m): 11:09pm On Sep 30, 2018
schoolboij:

Please ask around. He's originally from Fiditi. A lot of people are not indigenous to Ibadan. I even heard Adedibu was not originally from Ibadan. Ibadan is just another Lagos.

You see, Oke-Odo is in between Ile tuntun and Ilupeju. Adegoke Adelabu was a true Ibadan man. He was even the chairman of the then Ibadan Municipal Local Government in Mapo. The Adelabus are real time Ibadan people!

1 Like

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by KingBaba1(m): 11:12pm On Sep 30, 2018
Mac2016:

Off shoot! Pls use Google
why not say what u know about this instead of directing me to google. google is been updated by people, and I have heard what I said from elderly people and even on radios. will be glad to hear your on shoot. Thanks
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by rhames(m): 11:27pm On Sep 30, 2018
gideon1971:

His grandfather, Adegoke Adelabu was a prominent and vocal member of the 1960's defunct Western Nigerian Parliament. Penkelemsi emanated from his grandfather's reaction to a fellow parliamenterian after a heated debate where he replied with the words " peculiar mess". Action Group Party stalwarts under Chief Obafemi Awolowo could not understand or pronounce the phrase well. What followed became a popular song in the south west till today "Adelabu,Penkelmesi".: the origin of penkelemesi..

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Nobody: 11:30pm On Sep 30, 2018
all on good on paper,but its unlikely he will stand the test of time and increased demands for good governance
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by tomsy2: 11:31pm On Sep 30, 2018
Well, it is a fact that every true Ibadan family has both home (ile) and oko (village). It is also well known that the people who founded Ibadan were warrior settlers who came together from places as diverse as Oyo (where Fiditi would come in), up to Egbaland and other places. However this does not mean that the resultant families who had long settled in can or would even want to go back to claim those places as home, when it is most likely that their only references remain in the family panegyric (oriki).
In essence even if his ancestors were settlers from wherever, Adelabu is a true son of Ibadan. Iran Ibadan ki se eru enikankan (The Ibadan have never been anybody's slave)

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 30, 2018
Jaymaxxy:

You see, Oke-Odo is in between Ile tuntun and Ilupeju. Adegoke Adelabu was a true Ibadan man. He was even the chairman of the then Ibadan Municipal Local Government in Mapo. The Adelabus are real time Ibadan people!

Wow! I never heard of those places. I'm not an indigene though. I've been living in Ibadan since 2005. Ibadan south west.
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by taiwofisa: 11:38pm On Sep 30, 2018
People are talking about Adelabu vs Making here. I want to tell you that both of them will be following whoever ADC candidate during the election. Like 70% of people forming Oyo State political structure is n ADC. I always say this that election in Nigeria is won majorly by strong political structure (65% of votes determined by the party) though very unfortunate. If not, APC in just concluded election in Osun was not supposed to near 4th position.

Looking at it holistically, people that their influence determine votes in Oyo State are in ADC today, both in Ibadan and Oke Ogun including Ibarapa.

For PDP, Making is almost alone though he is popular but that alone can't take him anywhere. People will just chop his money and not vote for him. Gbolarumi, Jumoke Akinjide and co are the PDP stalwart in Oyo State, I wonder how many votes they can canvas.

For APC, Ajimobi has chased some of them away and people don't like his face and would not vote for whoever comes from APC because they believe he is Ajimobi anointed

1 Like

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by yakson123: 11:39pm On Sep 30, 2018
youngest85:
See maggot's food!
grin grin grin grin grin grin you no go kill me , seriously no be small maggot food oooo
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by godwon01(m): 11:50pm On Sep 30, 2018
gideon1971:
His ground dad used to say the language whenever he was angry with his opponents during the first republic in the 60s. The meaning is What a peculiar mess. U know yoruba people are so funny they now term to penkelemesi.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by subcbouy: 12:24am On Oct 01, 2018
not too bad! a CV.
but pekelemes and wet eh era, no go area
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by subcbouy: 12:25am On Oct 01, 2018
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Amdoyin(m): 12:28am On Oct 01, 2018
schoolboij:

who is this person sef nao.you don't argue on Wat you don't know 100percent. Oke odo exist in Ibadan. It between Kudeti, agbongbon and the road that leads to idi-arere. I know adelabu wella. Its a stone throw to my old man house.
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by globatop: 12:29am On Oct 01, 2018
gideon1971:
His father's appellation was "peculiar mess" which the natives corrupted to penkelemesi in the 60s

1 Like

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by subcbouy: 12:32am On Oct 01, 2018
tomsy2:
Well, it is a fact that every true Ibadan family has both home (ile) and oko (village). It is also well known that the people who founded Ibadan were warrior settlers who came together from places as diverse as Oyo (where Fiditi would come in), up to Egbaland and other places. However this does not mean that the resultant families who had long settled in can or would even want to go back to claim those places as home, when it is most likely that their only references remain in the family panegyric (oriki).
In essence even if his ancestors were settlers from wherever, Adelabu is a true son of Ibadan. Iran Ibadan ki se eru enikankan (The Ibadan have never been anybody's slave)
Permit me to ask this, are hunters different from warriors, in the case of Ibadan history?
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by LaExpert: 12:51am On Oct 01, 2018
I'm impressed.
I hope he wins.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Dotman2210(m): 12:54am On Oct 01, 2018
gideon1971:
Penkelemesi is peculiar mess... Guess you don't know the story of his grandfather in the old Oyo state, well that's for another day

1 Like

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by tomsingun4(m): 2:14am On Oct 01, 2018
Another E-diiot Fellow,See him Mouth Like Pig Leftover grin
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by bellotaofeek: 2:24am On Oct 01, 2018
This guy ain't bad
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by hargbolahan01: 2:30am On Oct 01, 2018
eitsei:
Penkelemesi is a nickname of his grandfather one of the foremost politicians of ibadan, it was actually "peculiar mess" which his illiterate followers mispronounced as Penkelemesi
his nickname was really penkelemesi it was the white man who didn't know how to call that gave him peculiar mess
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by shugabasbn: 3:09am On Oct 01, 2018
In Nigeria today, best C.V doesn't transform to best service. I just prayed he has a brain and mind to make Oyo state great again n hope is nysc certificate is intact
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Lionofdjungle: 4:12am On Oct 01, 2018
gideon1971:
It was his late father, Adegoke Adelabu, a political mate and antagonist of late Obafemi Awolowo that was nicknamed "Pẹnkẹlẹmẹ́ẹ̀sì" due to his use of English language. There was a time his father was addressing people and he he dropped the phrase : "peculiar mess". The phrase sounded strange to the listeners and they nicknamed him "peculiar mess" which was later "Yorubalised" to "pẹnkẹlẹmẹ́ẹ̀sì." I hope I've answered your question.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by africanusvu(m): 4:55am On Oct 01, 2018
Tokziby:
Adelabu is a household name in Ibadan, if u know u know. They are like the saraki family in Kwara. His grand father was the former minister of resources during the 50's. The name Penkelemesi was coined after he referred his opposition party as a Peculiar Mess. His listeners didnt understood what he meant as most of them were illiterates but heard the word as Penkelemesi. Hence, the called him mr Penkelemesi.
,penkelemessi=peculiar mess. Hope he may not become the real Peculiar Mess as a gov
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Mac2016(m): 4:56am On Oct 01, 2018
KingBaba1:
why not say what u know about this instead of directing me to google. google is been updated by people, and I have heard what I said from elderly people and even on radios. will be glad to hear your on shoot. Thanks
Alright
You actually try on the history and I appreciate your maturity in comment also I didn't mean any abuse either. He actually was in the "house" parliament (something like Senate of these days) when he referred to opposition party as "peculiar mess" which was misinterpreted as penkelemesi. It wasn't that he saw something scary when he was with his family or so as you accounted earlier.
Memory is good but fails in some regards that's why empirical transfer of knowledge is not a perfect one.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by Venerable612(m): 5:14am On Oct 01, 2018
Tokziby:
Adelabu is a household name in Ibadan, if u know u know. They are like the saraki family in Kwara. His grand father was the former minister of resources during the 50's. The name Penkelemesi was coined after he referred his opposition party as a Peculiar Mess. His listeners didnt understood what he meant as most of them were illiterates but heard the word as Penkelemesi. Hence, the called him mr Penkelemesi.

Nice history bro smiley
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by gwinaB(m): 6:28am On Oct 01, 2018
fergie001:
His CV is not bad and he is young...

Makinde v Adelabu....is cool....
But nah only Ibadan people fit contest gov for Oyo state?

Shukuokukobambi...come here

Don't be deceived , Bayo is a real bad guy.
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by gwinaB(m): 6:36am On Oct 01, 2018
adioolayi:
Bayo Adelabu, Seyi Makinde ...either ways, OYO will be govern by a good technocrats.
God bless OYO State

I hope you will say this again if Bayo wins.
Re: Who Is Bayo Adelabu Penkelemesi? Biography, Age, Oyo APC Governorship Candidate by wickyyolo: 6:53am On Oct 01, 2018
Ventura1:
Accountants in Nigeria have proven to be a wack when it comes to governance e.g. Tinubu, Ambode, Amosun

Rich dad poor Dad book, said NEVER to give an accountant a business to manage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sgt Torsobo Solomon Arrested In Connection With Attack On NDA, Kaduna - SR / Photo: Fayose Takes Full Page Advert To Slam Buhari’s 6-month Rule / Buhari: "My Wife, Aisha, Belongs To My Kitchen" (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.