Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,586 members, 7,823,528 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) (31241 Views)

FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja / Man kills 4 schoolchildren In Anambra while using phone While Driving / Sahara Desert Is Covered In Snow For The Second Time(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Elbizzcklinz(m): 6:38am On Oct 02, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

No street view was available in almost the whole North Eastern region, too bad. Lagos is the only city in Nigeria with at least 60% coverage on Google earth. I navigated my way through Lagos and was surprised to discover that Lagos is very overrated especially Ikoyi. I was thinking I will see something similar to Dubai. No street view of Banana Island was available, reason best known to Google. Abuja and Port Harcourt has very limited coverage on Google Earth, this guys should hire me let me do the coverage for them. Bored with Nigeria wahala I flew to California…

America

Arriving in California, I was jumping excitedly from street to street like spiderman, I’m sure in real life I would be arrested for loitering. I entered Silicon Valley, everywhere looks so neat, cars are well parked, beautiful flowers, trees, just like heaven. The roads are superb. Then I flew to New Jersey, pot holes on some of the streets, dirty electrical wires everywhere on electric poles like cobwebs. I was amazed that they have such things in USA. A whole America, probably their own NEPA will also be disconnecting wire too grin grin

Final thoughts.

The fact that Nigeria has a very limited coverage on Google Earth, less than 5% is a big shame in this era where smartphones with camera is everywhere. I really commend Lagos, even Ikorodu and other Ghetto in Lagos has full street view coverage. It can be a source of employment to the youth to just go round major cities and take pictures of the streets and send to Google. I didn’t know Ghana is so beautiful until now, Capetown South Africa is like heaven, no wonder our Nigerian brothers there don’t like coming home, Lol. Google Earth has a search option where you’ll just enter the name of the street and voom, Google will fly you straight to that street anywhere in the world. I encourage everyone to use Google Earth, it’s a lovely experience. You don’t need to have visa to visit that city you’ve always wanted to visit.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/my-experience-after-using-google-earth-for-the-first-time/

WATCH VIDEO HERE

I'm Google local street guide, we've been helping to get various pictures to Google as well make sure that location are actually correct on Google.

To become one is not difficult.
Hit me up and I will share with you.

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by emeka2847: 6:40am On Oct 02, 2018
No mind Buhari o. The only thing he knows is that some Nigerians are so dumb that in every matter they would mention Buhari and introduce useless blind arguments.

JudasNaCarrot:
What does Buhari know?

The Dundee is taking Nigeria 500 years backward. Have you ever heard him talk or discuss anything about science and technology before....rather he talks much of what he knows best...cattle and archaic agricultural practices.

Mark Zuchaberg visited him in Abuja when he came to Nigeria,gave him an iPad only for this Dundee president to turn the gadget upside down and started laughing.....who didn't see it when it happened.

We can only get there when we boot out this lifeless uneducated man and elect someone who's Y2K and computer compliant.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by shams040(m): 6:41am On Oct 02, 2018
No the upgrade is not from Nigeria but from Google. Back then in 2013 google stopped the normal manual modeling for a new technology which is yet to get to us. With time we will get our buildings modeled as well.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by JudasNaCarrot: 6:41am On Oct 02, 2018
Ganzagangan:

He knows far better than you, go figure! At least he is not on this thread to make an out of context and moronic post like you.

Olodo rabata!
Buhari and APC ass licker spotted.

Because of my comments and criticism of this evil government, I hope you will not.....

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 02, 2018
Mapping every street and location on Earth would be very challenging.
I disagree with the suggestion that smart phones can facilitate that. The street maps are done by the google earth map team with a special vehicle equipped with multiple cameras linked to the satellite.

It’s not a task to be done using smartphones otherwise, it’ll descend to the unreliability of the likes of Wikipedia where everyone can take unverified photos and upload.

This is a photo of one of the vehicles used to map the streets.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by KINGwax007(m): 6:42am On Oct 02, 2018
Good Earth is packed with old pictures.
Ikoykli itself is an old glory
Nigerians don't even pin their streets and important monuments on Google map talkless of snapping streets and sending to Google Earth.

Let someone start paying and u'll see tons of pictures

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Doerstech(m): 6:42am On Oct 02, 2018
Good one..
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 6:42am On Oct 02, 2018
Elbizzcklinz:

I'm Google local street guide, we've been helping to get various pictures to Google as well make sure that location are actually correct on Google.

To become one is not difficult.
Hit me up and I will share with you.
send me a mail, we'll chat on whatsapp
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by GRACEGLORY: 6:43am On Oct 02, 2018
Ganzagangan:

He knows far better than you, go figure! At least he is not on this thread to make an out of context and moronic post like you.

Olodo rabata!

No mind am, some of these guys that insults leadership, yet, they don’t become leaders. Mtchwee
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Ak26: 6:44am On Oct 02, 2018
You won't see most places in Abuja because it's an FCT (and Gmaps dont cover Government Building or institutions) just the same way you can't view White House and Fort Bragg station.

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Observer007(m): 6:44am On Oct 02, 2018
I first discovered and used it in October last year. I still do from time to time. It's one of the best edutainment any man or woman on earth can give himself or herself, irrespective of how inclined or financially able you are to travel. Afterall, you can't possibly physically explore every nook and cranny on earth.

I have been virtually to most countries, just out of curiosity, learning and entertainment. Also discovered, like you said, not every part of the world has 3D viewing, especially some parts of 3rd world countries.

Addition, it will interest you to know that places like the Pentagon and other security bases in the States aren't 3D viewable. These guys know what they're doing for sure.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by wristbangle: 6:45am On Oct 02, 2018
TechCapon:
very cool

Techcapon, when you're ready for the initiative to capture updated pictures of Lagos to be sent to Google, please count me in.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Ganzagangan: 6:45am On Oct 02, 2018
JudasNaCarrot:
Buhari and APC ass licker spotted.

Because of my comments and criticism of this evil government, I hope you will not.....

You na original N.F.A!

Shoo away!
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by edupedia: 6:46am On Oct 02, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

No street view was available in almost the whole North Eastern region, too bad. Lagos is the only city in Nigeria with at least 60% coverage on Google earth. I navigated my way through Lagos and was surprised to discover that Lagos is very overrated especially Ikoyi. I was thinking I will see something similar to Dubai. No street view of Banana Island was available, reason best known to Google. Abuja and Port Harcourt has very limited coverage on Google Earth, this guys should hire me let me do the coverage for them. Bored with Nigeria wahala I flew to California…

America

Arriving in California, I was jumping excitedly from street to street like spiderman, I’m sure in real life I would be arrested for loitering. I entered Silicon Valley, everywhere looks so neat, cars are well parked, beautiful flowers, trees, just like heaven. The roads are superb. Then I flew to New Jersey, pot holes on some of the streets, dirty electrical wires everywhere on electric poles like cobwebs. I was amazed that they have such things in USA. A whole America, probably their own NEPA will also be disconnecting wire too grin grin

Final thoughts.

The fact that Nigeria has a very limited coverage on Google Earth, less than 5% is a big shame in this era where smartphones with camera is everywhere. I really commend Lagos, even Ikorodu and other Ghetto in Lagos has full street view coverage. It can be a source of employment to the youth to just go round major cities and take pictures of the streets and send to Google. I didn’t know Ghana is so beautiful until now, Capetown South Africa is like heaven, no wonder our Nigerian brothers there don’t like coming home, Lol. Google Earth has a search option where you’ll just enter the name of the street and voom, Google will fly you straight to that street anywhere in the world. I encourage everyone to use Google Earth, it’s a lovely experience. You don’t need to have visa to visit that city you’ve always wanted to visit.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/my-experience-after-using-google-earth-for-the-first-time/

WATCH VIDEO HERE

Stop putting down your country...the economy of the whole of Ghana is not up to that of Lagos ..stop comparing inciomparables...stop insulting other Nigerians by comparing us to Ghana...

4 Likes

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by bonetalk(m): 6:46am On Oct 02, 2018
Greyworld:
.Ask Jon Snow
he knows nothing
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by BedLam: 6:48am On Oct 02, 2018
Isn't this Google street view which is entirely different from Google earth ? If I recall Google earth uses satellite and not street views like the op has shown. Na wa o

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by edupedia: 6:49am On Oct 02, 2018
JudasNaCarrot:
What does Buhari know?

The Dundee is taking Nigeria 500 years backward. Have you ever heard him talk or discuss anything about science and technology before....rather he talks much of what he knows best...cattle and archaic agricultural practices.

Mark Zuchaberg visited him in Abuja when he came to Nigeria,gave him an iPad only for this Dundee president to turn the gadget upside down and started laughing.....who didn't see it when it happened.

We can only get there when we boot out this lifeless uneducated man and elect someone who's Y2K and computer compliant.

....what kind of useless drug did u take so early this morning?....
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by BedLam: 6:49am On Oct 02, 2018
edupedia:

Stop putting down your country...the economy of the whole of Ghana is not up to that of Lagos ..stop comparing inciomparables...stop insulting other Nigerians by comparing us to Ghana...
Na craze de worry am. I sawit but I saw it but today is a new day. Ghana is fine from pictures for them.

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 6:50am On Oct 02, 2018
wristbangle:

Techcapon, when you're ready for the initiative to capture updated pictures of Lagos to be sent to Google, please count me in.
I'll keep that in mind cheesy
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by holuphisayor(m): 6:52am On Oct 02, 2018
3D streetview are mapped by moving vehicle's and not by aerial satellite or just snapping on mobile phones.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Gazzy88(m): 6:54am On Oct 02, 2018
Are you a skilled tailor in Nigeria in need of job? Do you have the necessary skills to be hired by top fashion houses across the country? Fill out the Google form below�with your details for job offers and also kindly share with your tailor friends in need of job.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRjty3Qu_f0h2D_rwvUKzInyBykyHBccJC-e8jFHcb44JFVw/viewform
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by snazzy5050(m): 6:55am On Oct 02, 2018
TechCapon:
I'll keep that in mind cheesy
It's called Google Street View not Google Earth my friend

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Olatara(f): 6:58am On Oct 02, 2018
EddieCAD:

It's our duty to make it recognizable by Google.
I am a Google Local Guide, are you? Become a Google Local Guide today
How do I become a local guide.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by AlphaStyles(m): 6:58am On Oct 02, 2018
Op will not kill me oo grin
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Acidosis(m): 7:00am On Oct 02, 2018
One of the best applications you will ever use on a mobile phone. Used it yesterday to locate an hotel in Ikeja GRA.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by OyinO: 7:00am On Oct 02, 2018
OP, for every advantage, there is a disadvantage and vice versa! This capturing can make anywhere bombable or easily tracked for covert military operations. As for Sambisa, Google just don't want you and i to see the picture of things because that region is classified restricted. Remember, it was sateliite that revealed how the first book harm leader was killed by some people. If someone can view you, the interior of your house and all your doings, ARE YOU SAFE? Globalisation is an NWO Agenda. Google is your friend, just as Google Earth is thrilling you so much. Go search what this global capturing truly means. Keep flying in vain.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by ITbomb(m): 7:00am On Oct 02, 2018
durubennie:
Op must be a very primitive man..
So this is your first time of using Google Earth
No wonder Nigerians are always technologically backward
A tech blogger for that matter
Shameful sad

4 Likes

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by OyinO: 7:01am On Oct 02, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

Today is the very first day I used Google Earth on my laptop and I can tell you it is the greatest feeling in the world. It’s just like catching a flight and flying to any city in the world in a matter of seconds. Jesus, if you’ve never used Google earth before in your life, you’re missing out big time. It feels like flying from one country to another anyhow you like. It was as if I was controlling my own private satellite with a very powerful camera attached to it and I have complete power to zoom in and out of every city I want. You don’t need to have visa to visit that city you’ve always wanted to visit.

While it is a very exciting experience, I must also warn you that if you don’t have enough data don’t bother because it is very data consuming. No body on this planet can visit every city on earth but with Google earth, you can teleport straight to that city and have a street view of what it looks like. One of the most fascinating things about Earth was simply scrolling around to see what the world looks like from above. Now, you can get a much more realistic look at things. The 3D mode renders the world so you can see things from any angle, based on data from satellites and Street View. The “I’m feeling lucky” button blasts you across the globe to a random location and brings up a knowledge card so you can learn more. The cards include a description from Wikipedia, really cool.

My experience exploring Nigeria

I was so disappointed that only about 5% of Nigeria is captured on Google Earth, the rest is just 2D satellite images from the sky. A far cry from what I saw in Ghana where almost every street on Ghana, Accra, Kumasi is fully captured. I dragged myself straight to Sambisa forest in Maiduguri hoping to see battlefield with serious action in pictures but was shocked to see lots structures with Aluminium roofs in SAMBISA FOREST. Hmmm, I fear o.

OP, for every advantage, there is a disadvantage and vice versa! This capturing can make anywhere bombable or easily tracked for covert military operations. As for Sambisa, Google just don't want you and i to see the picture of things because that region is classified restricted. Remember, it was sateliite that revealed how the first book harm leader was killed by some people. If someone can view you, the interior of your house and all your doings, ARE YOU SAFE? Globalisation is an NWO Agenda. Google is your friend, just as Google Earth is thrilling you so much. Go search what this global capturing truly means. Keep flying in vain.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by israelmao(m): 7:01am On Oct 02, 2018
Google Earth.Let's being yo capture our streets in pictures and send them to Google.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 02, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Travelling To The South For The First Time / Nigerian Man Dies In Malaysia After His Friend Got Arrested For Visiting Him / Which 3 Nigerian Cities Have The Happiest Residents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.