Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) (31235 Views)

FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja / Man kills 4 schoolchildren In Anambra while using phone While Driving / Sahara Desert Is Covered In Snow For The Second Time(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by AutoReportNG: 10:45am On Oct 02, 2018
Mankosi:
how do u know they are looking for mappers? I do mapping too. That's one of my jobs bro. Connect me let get to them and do the mapping for them. I am a GIS man.

Hey bro, nice to know that you map too, I map as well but at my leisure time

Kindly search for Google Mappers Nigeria I hope I got that right

Regard
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Empiree: 11:21am On Oct 02, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

Today is the very first day I used Google Earth on my laptop and I can tell you it is the greatest feeling in the world. It’s just like catching a flight and flying to any city in the world in a matter of seconds. Jesus, if you’ve never used Google earth before in your life, you’re missing out big time. It feels like flying from one country to another anyhow you like. It was as if I was controlling my own private satellite with a very powerful camera attached to it and I have complete power to zoom in and out of every city I want. You don’t need to have visa to visit that city you’ve always wanted to visit.

While it is a very exciting experience, I must also warn you that if you don’t have enough data don’t bother because it is very data consuming. No body on this planet can visit every city on earth but with Google earth, you can teleport straight to that city and have a street view of what it looks like. One of the most fascinating things about Earth was simply scrolling around to see what the world looks like from above. Now, you can get a much more realistic look at things. The 3D mode renders the world so you can see things from any angle, based on data from satellites and Street View. The “I’m feeling lucky” button blasts you across the globe to a random location and brings up a knowledge card so you can learn more. The cards include a description from Wikipedia, really cool.

My experience exploring Nigeria

I was so disappointed that only about 5% of Nigeria is captured on Google Earth, the rest is just 2D satellite images from the sky. A far cry from what I saw in Ghana where almost every street on Ghana, Accra, Kumasi is fully captured. I dragged myself straight to Sambisa forest in Maiduguri hoping to see battlefield with serious action in pictures but was shocked to see lots structures with Aluminium roofs in SAMBISA FOREST. Hmmm, I fear o.
smh... Google Earth is what you are so excited about?. Really a new experience for you. The thing I dey use every day and I don't even see anything special about it. Na so Nigeria backwards?. O ga ooo

I thought there was a new experience you wanted to talk about. Smh
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 02, 2018
I used it some years back in Ogun state but the images were old images not new... To do the work of capturing image you'll need drone to view the city above
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by domido(m): 12:35pm On Oct 02, 2018
AutoReportNG:
I think thats why Google is looking for mappers to help map out some key areas and points..
How can I be a mapper? What does it take?
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by popsamblue(m): 12:42pm On Oct 02, 2018
My brother...you just consume and benefited from some people's labour...you can always give back...be a local guide...take pictures and post it on Google map...
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by hesilo(m): 1:37pm On Oct 02, 2018
Ajiswaggs:
na minute browsing u still dey do when Mtn 1gb cheat every24hrs dey
Bro put ur guy thru na wink
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by hesilo(m): 1:39pm On Oct 02, 2018
EddieCAD:

Send me ur whatsapp no. I want to create a whatsapp group for Google Local Guides, Nigeria
Please add me 07061232381

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by robinsonmfon(m): 1:57pm On Oct 02, 2018
BedLam:
Isn't this Google street view which is entirely different from Google earth ? If I recall Google earth uses satellite and not street views like the op has shown. Na wa o
Thats Google Earth bro. I have it on my PC. Google Earth pro
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2018
aalangel:

Okay...how do you send it Google...meanwhile, please send me a message...I want to you on my Show.
please send me a mail. Lofty9000@gmail.com. From there we can chart on whatsapp

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by aalangel(f): 7:59pm On Oct 02, 2018
TechCapon:
please send me a mail. Lofty9000@gmail.com. From there we can chart on whatsapp

Cool.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 8:03pm On Oct 02, 2018
aalangel:

Cool.
cheesy
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by rukoyah42(f): 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2018
JudasNaCarrot:
What does Buhari know?

The Dundee is taking Nigeria 500 years backward. Have you ever heard him talk or discuss anything about science and technology before....rather he talks much of what he knows best...cattle and archaic agricultural practices.

Mark Zuchaberg visited him in Abuja when he came to Nigeria,gave him an iPad only for this Dundee president to turn the gadget upside down and started laughing.....who didn't see it when it happened.

We can only get there when we boot out this lifeless uneducated man and elect someone who's Y2K and computer compliant.
wow
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by kindy51(m): 10:52pm On Oct 02, 2018
Ajiswaggs:
na minute browsing u still dey do when Mtn 1gb cheat every24hrs dey
abeg tell me about it
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by YhungPablo(m): 12:30am On Oct 03, 2018
TechCapon:
very true. Especially naija own.
most especially our house/street old pics
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by lebete3000: 3:34am On Oct 03, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

No street view was available in almost the whole North Eastern region, too bad. Lagos is the only city in Nigeria with at least 60% coverage on Google earth. I navigated my way through Lagos and was surprised to discover that Lagos is very overrated especially Ikoyi. I was thinking I will see something similar to Dubai. No street view of Banana Island was available, reason best known to Google. Abuja and Port Harcourt has very limited coverage on Google Earth, this guys should hire me let me do the coverage for them. Bored with Nigeria wahala I flew to California…

America

Arriving in California, I was jumping excitedly from street to street like spiderman, I’m sure in real life I would be arrested for loitering. I entered Silicon Valley, everywhere looks so neat, cars are well parked, beautiful flowers, trees, just like heaven. The roads are superb. Then I flew to New Jersey, pot holes on some of the streets, dirty electrical wires everywhere on electric poles like cobwebs. I was amazed that they have such things in USA. A whole America, probably their own NEPA will also be disconnecting wire too grin grin

Final thoughts.

The fact that Nigeria has a very limited coverage on Google Earth, less than 5% is a big shame in this era where smartphones with camera is everywhere. I really commend Lagos, even Ikorodu and other Ghetto in Lagos has full street view coverage. It can be a source of employment to the youth to just go round major cities and take pictures of the streets and send to Google. I didn’t know Ghana is so beautiful until now, Capetown South Africa is like heaven, no wonder our Nigerian brothers there don’t like coming home, Lol. Google Earth has a search option where you’ll just enter the name of the street and voom, Google will fly you straight to that street anywhere in the world. I encourage everyone to use Google Earth, it’s a lovely experience. You don’t need to have visa to visit that city you’ve always wanted to visit.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/my-experience-after-using-google-earth-for-the-first-time/

WATCH VIDEO HERE

You're really good at writing, I'll love to learn your writing skill for my ielts academics exams grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by mtngloetiartel: 5:15am On Oct 03, 2018
EddieCAD:

It's our duty to make it recognizable by Google.

I am a Google Local Guide, are you?
Become a Google Local Guide today
hi
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 7:10am On Oct 03, 2018
lebete3000:

You're really good at writing, I'll love to learn your writing skill for my ielts academics exams grin
you'll even write better than me and excel in your exams. Amen
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Thane(m): 9:03am On Oct 03, 2018
EddieCAD:

Join my Google Local Guide whatsapp group

Pls add me 07032909592. Thank you
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Thane(m): 9:04am On Oct 03, 2018
DORS:
Pls add me too 07032909591
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Emmyk(m): 1:22pm On Oct 03, 2018
Rotji:

Yes, navigating Earth through Nigeria is very frustrating, I've been to Sambisa too and one would have thought the attention that area generated will make Google give it a good coverage but nada. I've been right inside Stanford Bridge, Anfield, Old Trafford etc.

OP have you entered inside White House? You should try it, it's another experience. I tried entering Aso Rock but for where....

Exploring Google Earth is something I love doing, you can tell someone staying abroad lots of things about his/her Street, lol. Fascinating
True. I was chatting with my brother in-law some years back via Facebook Messenger. His location was on, so I was able to see and explore his street view. I think I saw his car, parked outside too. grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Emmyk(m): 1:31pm On Oct 03, 2018
It feels great to be a Google Local Guide. Knowing that my pictures help people where Street view can't cover delights me smiley

The only issue is, some places are badly spelt or wrong location. You make adjustments and it takes forever, for Google to approve.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Emmyk(m): 1:38pm On Oct 03, 2018
I thought GPS on phone is always off when the phone is switched off and location can't be known, lol. Till recently.

My phone was OFF while onboard. I was amazed when I checked my Timeline on Google Maps and saw CORRECTLY, every detail of the flight.

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by ajaymina(m): 11:27pm On Oct 03, 2018
EddieCAD:

Join my Google Local Guide whatsapp group

Where'z za link to join sir?
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by EddieCAD(m): 8:26am On Oct 04, 2018
ajaymina:

Where'z za link to join sir?

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by EddieCAD(m): 8:32am On Oct 04, 2018

Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Newway2(m): 6:04am On Oct 07, 2018
meobizy:
I remember watching a tech documentary on BBC once which highlighted that most of the street views and maps of Ghana were carried out by a young startup run by youths like you and me. The participants realized their country was not represented on Google and decided to map out the areas by themselves, submit the results to Google via the internet and then wait for them to approve their findings.
True to form Google sent a team to physically cross-check the accuracy and the result is what you're seeing here.
In a country with a higher population and most people who claim they are educated it is funny we'll rather banter about the government than take such an initiative. This is not a case of government-anything because the white man has put the power in our hands. We should only reach out and grab the opportunity.
I forgot to add, Google hired the startup to cover the rest of Ghana in their absence. See how people chose to employ themselves.

Kudos to your thoughts & post. Common sense is not common. While some are wailing & ranting, smart guys are thinking how to pull themselves out of poverty using available tools at their disposal
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 15, 2018
durubennie:
I used Google Earth far back in 2012 when I bought my LG nexus 4 and it was already installed in it.
Even Nigeria tech bloggers are primitive if they aren't why are they always reviewing techno and infinix phones
You mean the Google Earth that became available in Nigeria last year??
Oga you don't know what you used in 2012.
Maybe Google Map.
Re: My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) by domido(m): 1:04am On Sep 03, 2021
EddieCAD:

It's our duty to make it recognizable by Google.

I am a Google Local Guide, are you?
Good morning man. How can I be one?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Ongoing Construction Of Bayelsa Cargo Airport (Photos And Video) / Eritrean Immigrant Emerges From A Suitcase In Switzerland (Photos) / Nigerian Man Dies In Malaysia After His Friend Got Arrested For Visiting Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.