Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja (45415 Views)

Rivers State Completes Ikoku Flyover / Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago / My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Kayharry(m): 6:17pm On Dec 03, 2019
Wow! We still have a lot of surprises in this yulitide. Men of the Federal Road Safety Corps have just impounded my car. Asked what's my offence, they said, show me your phone and I turned my phone to him, and the guy said you are under arrest for driving with the aid of Google map on your mobile phones. Wawu!! I'm like seriously!! He said, madam it is a serious traffic offence. I asked to see the team lead, their team lead came and after hearing fro his collegue and me said, "the law forbids motorists from using mobile phones in any form while driving, as it can lead to accident". I can see you are using Google map on your phone. Madam it is distractive so follow us to our office.

This is unbelievable!! You see ba, I have an emergency and have requested for a ticket so I can deal with this later but they said No. I must drive to their office. Well ladies and gentlemen, I've been given a ticket of N4000 payable to Remita my offence is using GPS. They have my car and my keys and my drivers license. When I'm done paying to remita then I will be checked into national hospital for mental examination for using GPS while driving. The real mad folks are those who believe is an offence to drive with Google map. They called Google map a distraction. So if you are driving in Abuja, ditch the GPS and drive on, get to middle of the road stop and ask any road safety or traffic warder thus; oga where is the direction to Apo, Asokoro or just any where you are going. You don't need direction map. The worst kind of illiteracy is the illiteracy of a government.

Please if you have an opportunity to live in a saner place , now is the time to weigh your options and check out. A lot of things don't make sense here.

229 Likes 20 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by sagaxity(m): 6:37pm On Dec 03, 2019
Nothing we no go see..

Nothing at all is working in this corntree.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Promotions: 6:48pm On Dec 03, 2019
This is real madness, every day new rules and regulations.. most upsetting is the ban of tricycles Ridders in town without considering the masses, cost of living is at the increase yet salaries and wages is stagnant.. Madam next time you see them on the road ask them for direction to your village since Google map is a distraction...Everything about this country just weak me angry

140 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by NaijadrivaCars: 6:49pm On Dec 03, 2019
Wow! For Abuja shocked

Are you an Uber driver?
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by emeijeh(m): 6:59pm On Dec 03, 2019
Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Eric Schmidt come and chee chumtin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2019
When I'm done paying to remita then I will be checked into national hospital for mental examination for using GPS while driving

grin

122 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by izzou(m): 7:04pm On Dec 03, 2019
grin

Is everyone running mad in this country?

What is this?

160 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 03, 2019
i was at FRSC site today to check the status of my drivers license

i found this

https://frsc.gov.ng/use-of-phone-to-access-google-map-app-while-driving-frscs-true-position/

The attention of the Fede ral Road Safety Corps has been drawn
to an online  publication where the
Sector Commander, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Corps Commander Wobin Ayuba
Gora was quoted out of context on the use of google map app while driving, during
the 2019 ‘Ember Months’ flag off held in Lugbe, FCT on Wednesday.

According to the writer, the FCT Sector Commander while
delivering his ember months address stated that driving with the aid of Google
map using mobile phone is a serious traffic offence.

The Corps wishes to state that the Sector Commander must have
been misquoted and his statement outrightly misrepresented because the Federal
Road Safety Corps as a technology driven organisation is not and has never
stood against the use of google map by motorists.

To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on
the position of the law on use of phone while driving which the Sector
Commander tried to emphasize during the flag off.

The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the
position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use
of Google  map while driving must have it
set on the phone before embarking on the journey, not while the vehicle is
already in motion as this could be dangerous to the driver and other road
users, and can lead to road traffic crash.

We say this because, available records have shown that use of
phone for whatever purpose; be it text, voice calls, chats, browsing, setting
google map to find location etc while driving could be distractive and can
easily lead to loss of concentration. This has led to many road traffic crashes
with attendant loss of lives and properties.

On the strength of this, the Federal Road Safety Corps wishes
to reiterate its position on use of phone while driving as a dangerous and
hazardous road traffic behaviour which has led to unwanted and avoidable road
crashes.

We therefore call on all motorists who intend to deploy the
use of google map on their phone especially during the festive season when
traffic density is high, to activate such before setting the vehicle in motion
so as to ensure 100 percent concentration on the wheels.

Road Safety is State of Mind, Road Traffic Crash is Absence of
Mind. Stay Alert, Stay Alive! FRSC Cares for Your Safety.

lalasticlala, dominique mynd44 - please push to FP so we can see who is lying here FRSC HQ, or their drones

83 Likes 11 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 7:19pm On Dec 03, 2019
At the risk of sounding like one of them, I have to agree I consider the use of GPS a distraction (more about the way we use it). So many times I have entered cabs and the driver would stare at his phone for seconds to get the route. I get really uncomfortable in those few seconds. Few times they look up and make sharp swerves.

However, I do not think the problem should be the use of GPS in its entirety. The problem should be the use of handheld devices and its resultant inattentive driving. I would prefer a situation where it can be set before driving and on speaker too. This is a better option, since so many persons would rather not hang their phones.

They issued a statement to this effect recently. You can look it up, juxtapose it with your situation and know if your case can be appealed.

Seizing your car is going too far though, your DL is enough.

104 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 03, 2019
@ op

these are the relevant abuja frsc contacts

info@frsc.gov.ng

rs7.1.fct@frsc.gov.ng

https://frsc.gov.ng/zonal-commands/

RS7HQ, ABUJA UG IBRAHIM (ACM)

rs7hq.gwarinpa@frsc.gov.ng

you can consider taking it up - since the action of the officers contravenes what their superiors have said in the media
unfortunately, you do not have a video, so they will almost definitely lie

good luck

17 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Stormyweather(m): 7:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
pocohantas:

grin
what is funny?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by saintkola(m): 8:53pm On Dec 03, 2019
this can't be real life

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by calculator123(m): 4:09am On Dec 04, 2019
Which those pictorial evidences up there, Local man is tired.

Musa is tired of being a gateman.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by lonelydora: 6:14am On Dec 04, 2019
Just imagine the level of Anyhowness in this country.

Chai! God just know the kind of things he removes from my way.

I'm patiently waiting for the day any FRSC personnel will stop me because I'm using Google map.

That day, while on the road, i will prove to him that using his phone while carrying out his duty is also a distraction

5 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by AgreatMan: 6:15am On Dec 04, 2019
Sounds crazy, but the FRSC guys are 100% correct grin grin GPS is very distracting.

1. From her statement, she didn't deny when they asked whether she was using her GPS.
2. Next time, get a phone holder. Nobody can accuse u then.
3. They didn't ask for bribe, they told her to pay into a government account.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Aidejay(m): 6:15am On Dec 04, 2019
If not for the rate of unemployment and uncertainty wetin person dey find for FRSC?
All these organizations that are meant to be looking for workers are loaded with requests and no room for expansion in many years. In comparison with some of the developing countries even inside Africa these isn't enough man power to have an official on the road doing stop and query or what ever they do nowadays. That's why the integration of technology such as cameras and other devices is rampart and taking over. You F up camera snap you, you get ya bill with evidence.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Kendumazy(m): 6:15am On Dec 04, 2019
Mheen!
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:15am On Dec 04, 2019
Wow! We still have a lot of surprises in this yulitide. Men of the Federal Road Safety Corps have just impounded my car. Asked what's my offence, they said, show me your phone and I turned my phone to him, and the guy said you are under arrest for driving with the aid of Google map on your mobile phones.
Some of our FRSC official need some orientation/refresher course.
This is not funny at all!

Basher8583:

The lady might not be telling the exact story.
According to frsc using GPS on your mobile phone is not the problem it is the mode of usage that is actually the problem which distracts while driving.
https://frsc.gov.ng/use-of-phone-to-access-google-map-app-while-driving-frscs-true-position/

This also applies to the traffic laws in California USA.

The lady might have been clearly fumbling with her phone, probably activating her GPS or getting distracted with it while driving when the frsc officers spotted her. she should have being alot smarter while using it

At least for the frsc officers, they did not take advantage of her by collecting personal bribe but asked her to pay her offence dues to the right agency. That's professional enough for me.

However impounding her vehicle was professionalism taken to the extreme.

I wish her well
You have a very good point here Basher.
Thanks for the quote and enlighement.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by adekayo1234(m): 6:16am On Dec 04, 2019
The last time I was in Abuja, I realized most people in Abj no even Sabi road, thank God for Google map, I would have gone to NTA to declare myself missing

69 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Auxtin85(m): 6:17am On Dec 04, 2019
Nigeria is backward in all areas amongst Africa countries, why are we referred to as giant of Africa? I drove with google map in India it was never an offense, I drive with google map in South Africa it’s not an offense.

Na wah oo, may God help Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by LegendHero(m): 6:18am On Dec 04, 2019
@OP I feel your plight and the punishment meted to you is too harsh.

Nevertheless the FRSC is right when they said drivers should desist from using google map especially when the said driver is holding the phone.

You can buy a car phone hanger and stick your phone to that to save yourself of the embarrassment from the Road Safety officials coz there are far too many accidents caused by people holding phones while driving.

Even in some states in USA, holding a phone either for google map or any other thing is an offense and the police will pull you up if they see you with that.

We Nigerians always want a better nation but we most times don’t obey simple rule of law.

Note: I assume you held the phone in your hand while using the google map

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by davodyguy: 6:19am On Dec 04, 2019
This is very not nice.

Does the FRSC not use same Google technology to track their vehicular operations?

It's a normal Standard for navigational equipment being used in automobiles.

The navigation helps you find your way to your destination and no crime in using it.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Allen102: 6:19am On Dec 04, 2019
Kayharry:
Wow! We still have a lot of surprises in this yulitide. Men of the Federal Road Safety Corps have just impounded my car. Asked what's my offence, they said, show me your phone and I turned my phone to him, and the guy said you are under arrest for driving with the aid of Google map on your mobile phones. Wawu!! I'm like seriously!! He said, madam it is a serious traffic offence. I asked to see the team lead, their team lead came and after hearing fro his collegue and me said, "the law forbids motorists from using mobile phones in any form while driving, as it can lead to accident". I can see you are using Google map on your phone. Madam it is distractive so follow us to our office.

This is unbelievable!! You see ba, I have an emergency and have requested for a ticket so I can deal with this later but they said No. I must drive to their office. Well ladies and gentlemen, I've been given a ticket of N4000 payable to Remita my offence is using GPS. They have my car and my keys and my drivers license. When I'm done paying to remita then I will be checked into national hospital for mental examination for using GPS while driving. The real mad folks are those who believe is an offoffenceo drive with Google map. They called Google map a distraction. So if you are driving in Abuja, ditch the GPS and drive on, get to middle of the road stop and ask any road safety or traffic warder thus; oga where is the direction to Apo, Asokoro or just any where you are going. You don't need direction map. The worst kind of illiteracy is the illiteracy of a government.

Please if you have an opportunity to live in a saner place , now is the time to weigh your options and check out. A lot of things don't make sense here.
oh boy. Nigeria don they improve ooo.

3 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by bayelsaowei(m): 6:19am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:
At the risk of sounding like one of them, I have to agree I consider the use of GPS a distraction (more about the way we use it). So many times I have entered cabs and the driver would stare at his phone for seconds to get the route. I get really uncomfortable in those few seconds. Few times they look up and make sharp swerves.

However, I do not think the problem should be the use of GPS in its entirety. The problem should be the use of handheld devices and its resultant inattentive driving. I would prefer a situation where it can be set before driving and on speaker too. This is a better option, since so many persons would rather not hang their phones.

They issued a statement to this effect recently. You can look it up, juxtapose it with your situation and know if your case can be appealed.

Seizing your car is going too far though, your DL is enough.

and the same frsc would turn a blind eye to crazy danfo drivers and taxi men who load their cars beyond the loading limit whilst driving on our roads...the same road safety would not bother if dangote trucks crush the hell out of all of us as a result of codeine drinking drivers..

I am tired of this country called nigeria under buhari..its almost like all the agencies have gone mad...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by boxypane(m): 6:21am On Dec 04, 2019
Na FRSC need medical check up pass. Bunch of funny bananas.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by LORDEST(m): 6:21am On Dec 04, 2019
ornicus:
i was at FRSC site today to check the status of my drivers license

i found this

lalasticlala, dominique mynd44 - please push to FP so we can see who is lying here FRSC HQ, or their drones

Please is there a direct link to check online license status ?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by WildChild00(m): 6:22am On Dec 04, 2019
It is stupidity on the side of the frsc officials she can attach it close to the dashboard and drive with it, to her destination.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by omoadeleye(m): 6:22am On Dec 04, 2019
Lol, when we elected old people on sit of powers, what did you expect? Most of them are archaic and resent development. They are just illiterates in short!

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sami Court: ₦115K Per Night Hotel At Abuja Airport / Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure / Man Drives With His Leg While Pressing His Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.