Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. (1016 Views)

Rising Inflation Pushes More Nigerians Into Poverty Under Tinubu Govt / Abule Ado Pipeline Explosion: BBC Report Contradicts NNPC Claims / “Like. Share. Kill” – BBC Report On How Fake News Has Led To Deaths In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:17pm On Oct 02, 2018
Nigerians living in poverty rise to nearly 61%
13 February 2012

Poverty has risen in Nigeria, with almost 100 million people living on less than a $1 (£0.63) a day, despite economic growth, statistics have shown.

The National Bureau of Statistics said 60.9% of Nigerians in 2010 were living in "absolute poverty" - this figure had risen from 54.7% in 2004.

The bureau predicted this rising trend was likely to continue.
Nigeria is Africa's biggest oil producer but the sector has been tainted by accusations of corruption.

According to the report, absolute poverty is measured by the number of people who can afford only the bare essentials of shelter, food and clothing.

North-south divide
The NBS, a government agency, said there was a paradox at the heart of Nigeria as the economy was going from strength to strength, mainly because of oil production - yet Nigerians were getting poorer.

"Despite the fact that the Nigerian economy is growing, the proportion of Nigerians living in poverty is increasing every year, although it declined between 1985 and 1992, and between 1996 and 2004," head of the NBS bureau Yemi Kale said.

Oil accounts for some 80% of Nigeria's state revenues but it has hardly any capacity to refine crude oil into fuel, which has to be imported.
Last month, there was a nationwide strike when the government tried to remove the subsidy on fuel, angering many Nigerians who see it as the only benefit they received from the country's vast oil wealth.

The NBS said that relative poverty was most apparent in the north of the country, with Sokoto state's poverty rate the highest at 86.4%.
In the north-west and north-east of the country poverty rates were recorded at 77.7% and 76.3% respectively, compared to the south-west at 59.1%.

BBC Africa analyst Richard Hamilton says it is perhaps no surprise that extremist groups, such as Boko Haram, continue to have an appeal in northern parts of the country, where poverty and underdevelopment are at their most severe.
The report also revealed that Nigerians consider themselves to be getting poorer.

In 2010, 93.9% of respondents felt themselves to be poor compared to 75.5% six years earlier.
Mr Kale says releasing such statistics from time to time is crucial for effective government planning.

"This kind of data helps them to know what is really happening so they can track their policies and programmes," he told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme.

"It gives them the opportunity to look at what they are doing... and if there are areas they need to change, it makes it easier to modify strategies," he added

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-17015873?SThisFB

Mynd44, OAM4J

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2018
I remember many claiming that under GEJ, our economy was booming cheesy

Wow! How would an economy boom under GEJ yet there was a huge rise on the poverty index from 53.7% to 61%?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by GavelSlam: 8:23pm On Oct 02, 2018
They'll avoid the thread.

They know themselves.

grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:26pm On Oct 02, 2018
GavelSlam:
They'll avoid the thread.

They know themselves.

grin

And we also know them grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2018
Article wey Apc write send BBC..

Try another propaganda..

Nigerians knows better..

Abeg werin pounds the sell now..

Even if the Queen says so..na Nigerians dey vote.

And we know much better..

Come 2019..
APC ND it's chief Dullard will be retired..same BBC will carry the joyful news..

4 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2018
Zombies trying hard to propagate evil..

Make una try harder..

Nigerians ain't buying..

Maybe zombies will be interested

3 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by BankeSmalls(f): 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2018
BBC is now Nigeria masses wet don suffer pass suffer heads?

4 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2018
Herdsmen:

Try another propaganda..

Nigerians knows better..

Come 2019..
APC ND it's chief Dullard will be retired..same BBC will carry the joyful news..

The report is dated 2012 and you are busy talking about APC writing a report and sending to BBC?

So APC was in charge of the NATIONAL BUREAU OF STATISTICS Back in 2012?

Na wa o. Mumu get grade sha

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2018
Butterflyleo..

Keep it up..maybe promotion go soon reach you...
After all..funds no dey..

2 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:

The report is dated 2012 and you are busy talking about APC writing a report and sending to BBC?

So APC was in charge of the NATIONAL BUREAU OF STATISTICS Back in 2012?

Na wa o. Mumu get grade sha

0'12

What's the essence of your propaganda..

Olboy push ahead..

Latest na ambo fucking the god with hot iron

2 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2018
Herdsmen:
Butterflyleo..

Keep it up..maybe promotion go soon reach you...
After all..funds no dey..

Herdsmen

Keep it up maybe promotion go soon reach you or even salary increase from 15k a month to 17k a month. After all PDP is broke.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2018
BankeSmalls:
BBC is now Nigeria masses wet don suffer pass suffer heads?

Op need pay rise..
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2018
Herdsmen:

0'12

What's the essence of your propaganda..

Olboy push ahead..

Latest na ambo fucking the god with hot iron

This shows our analysis of wailers is very true.

You wail first before you actually read
You wail first before you ever reason.

Quite pathetic

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:38pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:

Herdsmen

Keep it up maybe promotion go soon reach you or even salary increase from 15k a month to 17k a month. After all PDP is broke.

grin grin

Bacanister don join you guys..
We understand..

Work smart bro..no try keep your self..

We know say competition don dey
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:38pm On Oct 02, 2018
Herdsmen:

grin grin

Bacanister don join you guys..
We understand..

Work smart bro..no try keep your self..

We know say competition don dey

What is this one saying?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:

This shows our analysis of wailers is very true.

You wail first before you actually read
You wail first before you ever reason.

Quite pathetic

I nor dey bother read your trashy propaganda..

Guy..
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2018
FarahAideed its obvious your poverty levels began since way back 2012 grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Herdsmen: 8:40pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:

What is this one saying?

Saying ..

You need pay rise.. from BMC..
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by FarahAideed: 8:51pm On Oct 02, 2018
You cannot deny the fact that Buharis style of leadership will only plunge any country into poverty no matter how buoyant the country was..i remember I'm 2016 crying out here that Buharis style of leadership was capable of tanking even the prosperous Swedish economy within 2 years but many BMCs called me a wailing alarmist ...Its no coincidence that Buhari has plunged tho s country into poverty twice as a result of his poor leadership style that can only appeal to those with low IQ or lifelong sadist and bigots ... In 3 years over 15 million white collar jobs have been lost ans double blue and grey coat jobs , over 20 thousand lives lost to violence , over 300 percent inflation and a record 6 Nigerians being plunged into poverty every 6 minutes yet this character called Butterflyle0 would rather blame someone else ... Are you aware that by 2016 many international bodies already warned the Buhari govt that if something is not done by 2018 Nigeria will become the poverty capital of the world yet true to term the Buhari govt did nothing to slow poverty down and by Feb 2018 Nigeria became the poorest place on earth... it's not also a mistake that Nigeria is currently at the bottom of every major Human development index known today under the Buhari govt ...

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Afamed: 8:53pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:
TKO
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by FarahAideed: 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:

2014 I could walk into any car show room and pick up a brand new car today I can't even think of that .. that should tell you a lot... Today I got a a mail from Kia to buy a Small Kia rio at a promo price of 8 million Naira and on 2014 my company bought a Kia rio at a promo price of 1.8 million for marketing purposes... Oga face it we are all poorer now even Dangote is not excluded
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2018
FarahAideed:
You cannot deny the fact that Buharis style of leadership will only plunge any country into poverty no matter how buoyant the country was..i remember I'm 2016 crying out here that Buharis style of leadership was capable of tanking even the prosperous Swedish economy within 2 years but many BMCs called me a wailing alarmist ...Its no coincidence that Buhari has plunged tho s country into poverty twice as a result of his poor leadership style that can only appeal to those with low IQ or lifelong sadist and bigots ... In 3 years over 15 million white collar jobs have been lost ans double blue and grey coat jobs , over 20 thousand lives lost to violence , over 300 percent inflation and a record 6 Nigerians being plunged into poverty every 6 minutes yet this character called Butterflyle0 would rather blame someone else ... Are you aware that by 2016 many international bodies already warned the Buhari govt that if something is not done by 2018 Nigeria will become the poverty capital of the world yet true to term the Buhari govt did nothing to slow poverty down and by Feb 2018 Nigeria became the poorest place on earth... it's not also a mistake that Nigeria is currently at the bottom of every major Human development index known today under the Buhari govt ...

The report is dated 2012 and not 2016. Wailer read first before you start your usual brainless buhari rant which had nothing to do with the OP

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by FarahAideed: 8:56pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:

The report is dated 2012 and not 2016. Wailer read first before you start your usual brainless buhari rant which had nothing to do with the OP

I don't need to use the date from your report , I am speaking based on real life experience sir
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:59pm On Oct 02, 2018
FarahAideed:

2014 I could walk into any car show room and pick up a brand new car today I can't even think of that .. that should tell you a lot... Today I got a a mail from Kia to buy a Small Kia rio at a promo price of 8 million Naira and on 2014 my company bought a Kia rio at a promo price of 1.8 million for marketing purposes... Oga face it we are all poorer now even Dangote is not excluded

Wailing liar. You have upgraded your lies.

Your poverty began since 2012 and if indeed you could walk into a showroom and pick out a brand new car in 2014 and are deep in poverty now this means buhari had no hand in your poverty but it was brought about by your ineptitude.

If I could grow a biz from a capital of less than 50k to a level of almost 20m between 2015 and today (which is also in the buhari era) then it shows your ineptitude tanked you.

I should have also crashed and burned shouldn't I?

Your lies no get direction

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 8:59pm On Oct 02, 2018
FarahAideed:

I don't need to use the date from your report , I am speaking based on real life experience sir

You are speaking from a place of lies as you always do

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by FarahAideed: 9:09pm On Oct 02, 2018
Buterflyle0:

Wailing liar. You have upgraded your lies.

Your poverty began since 2012 and if indeed you could walk into a showroom and pick out a brand new car in 2014 and are deep in poverty now this means buhari had no hand in your poverty but it was brought about by your ineptitude.

If I could grow a biz from a capital of less than 50k to a level of almost 20m between 2015 and today (which is also in the buhari era) then it shows your ineptitude tanked you.

I should have also crashed and burned shouldn't I?

Your lies no get direction

How will you crash when it's clear you are making illegal govt money in your day job as an underling to particular minister.... Even Dangote has not recorded any growth in networth since this govt came while under PDP for years he was the fastest rising billionaire in the world , are you saying Dangote is incompetent? Are you saying Goodies supermarket chain that have been in Lagos for ages is also incompetent? Are you saying Swipha is incomptent? For you information I work in the advertising industry and know we were most hit by the poor policies of your Buhari and till date we are still managing to stay afloat ... Why dontbyiu mention the fake business you started with 50k and what made you to wait till Buharobwon election before you opened a business.. Keep chopping govt money there oo

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Arda1000(m): 9:15pm On Oct 02, 2018
Somebody should tell me what business he/she is doing that has generated more income after 2015,cout from 2016 till date just tell me that legit business

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 9:27pm On Oct 02, 2018
Arda1000:
Somebody should tell me what business he/she is doing that has generated more income after 2015,cout from 2016 till date just tell me that legit business

Agriculture and animal husbandry. You can never go wrong in food business
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Buterflyle0: 9:34pm On Oct 02, 2018
FarahAideed:

How will you crash when it's clear you are making illegal govt money in your day job as an underling to particular minister.... Even Dangote has not recorded any growth in networth since this govt came while under PDP for years he was the fastest rising billionaire in the world , are you saying Dangote is incompetent? Are you saying Goodies supermarket chain that have been in Lagos for ages is also incompetent? Are you saying Swipha is incomptent? For you information I work in the advertising industry and know we were most hit by the poor policies of your Buhari and till date we are still managing to stay afloat ... Why dontbyiu mention the fake business you started with 50k and what made you to wait till Buharobwon election before you opened a business.. Keep chopping govt money there oo

You are just a depressed frustrated lying soul.

Here I am with some of my workers. I am not a liar such as you are.

And when I went for a course abroad on animal husbandry and was awarded a certificate.

Your ineptitude does not flow in my veins

***Modified***

Pictures removed
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by seanfer(m): 9:34pm On Oct 02, 2018
Herdsmen:

Try another propaganda..

Nigerians knows better..

Come 2019..

Fear God... Was there anything like APC in 2012?

3 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by OBAGADAFFI: 9:35pm On Oct 02, 2018
Poverty has risen in Nigeria, with almost 100 million people living on less than a $1 (£0.63) a day, despite economic growth,

And what is happening now.

Rising poverty and economic shrinking.
Re: Did Buhari Plunge Nigeria Into Poverty? 2012 BBC Report Says No. by Great2017: 9:40pm On Oct 02, 2018
Are you not tired of your propaganda that does not hold water, Butterflyleo?

The report you are mischievously circulating never said 2012 was the year Nigerians were plunged into poverty. Rather, the report only emphasized the increase in poverty among Nigerians despite the economic growth. This is clearly stated in the first paragraph.

If really you want to be objective, you should have compared the poverty levels now to when this inept government came on board. But your partisanship will always becloud any balanced sense of judgment.

Nigerians are wiser now and they are aware of your mischief.

(1) (2) (Reply)

“if He Does Not Resign He Will Kill The Party.” — Ondo APC To Oshiomole / Enemies At Work! Igbos And Their Yoruba Friends Beware!! / Not Likely Buhari Will Be Defeated In 2019 Election, Says US Institute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.