Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,439 members, 7,812,315 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Tales On the Grind fixing cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tales On the Grind fixing cars (1565 Views)

Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water / Issues With My Ride After Fixing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 2:29pm On Oct 03, 2018
Ehm. Kazeem, bring l an k angry

This kain cars wey oyinbo don give up on ehn. My spirit been wan pursue this customer with price o. Kazeem brings 9mm allen key. See, get me a chilled bottle of Heineken. I know after downing the bottle. Inspiration will come. lipsrsealed

My Name is Mufu, my people call me DMechanic, i was born with spanner hanging right out of the womb. You can call me Kazeem undecided no wahala. One of my boiz they bear the name.

I intend to do a daily post on Auto Care and an online expert advice on your auto repair needs.

This promises to be enlightening, interesting, educative and fun.

You can call me mufu. I am Mufu

At any point you wouldn't like to receive any of these messages. You can always send a notice to that effect.

I leave you with this tweet by village people about Nigerian Mechanic

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 4:00pm On Oct 03, 2018
Sir/Madam

You about driving out of your garage /compound /corner/street /villa. Have you checked all fluids?

This is petty and mundane. Don't come here and be forming aproko mechanic. You speak plenty grammar and know very little. I been driving and own a car since Awolowo. Which one is fluid.

Father Abraham sorry: I meant to say have you checked your radiator water, engine oil dipstick level, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and do you have any of this fluids in your car?.

Ehnm. Ehnm. Young man, See. Akinola abi DMechanic or what do you call yourself, I dont have time for all this banters. If my car get Wahalla. I will call you. Oshey ehn.

We will see later in the day. Shey you know your rent is about to expire. Hian. Have you checked all pockets. Check well o, I won't take that nonsense 1 and half months you paid the last time. Have a good day.

Ki ki ki. Vooom voom voom. One hand. Father Abraham zooms off.

And this is me thinking. Wetin concern fluid and house rent. I need to educate Father Abraham about his fluids. I will start with the Radiator.

Why do you need to check the water level in your radiator before starting your car everyday. Yes. You. if you don't have a car yet. Just keep the knowledge till when you get one.

Attached is a picture of the radiator for a 2004 Highlander. And a masterpiece from Mercedes the GL450.. Spot any Difference?

Tomorrow. We shall be Discussing radiators and coolants.

Argh, let me arrange my rent and give father Abraham o.

Akinola DMechanic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 4:52pm On Oct 03, 2018

1 Like

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 10:19am On Oct 04, 2018
Radiators and Coolants.

Oga Landlord. Are you about leaving? No o, I am not. And if I decide to, how is it your business. I have told you time and again. Our discussion should not stretch beyond you paying your bills.

Father Abraham. No b so o. I wanted to tell you about fluids. And would like to start with radiators. Father come and see. See this thing. It is called pressure cap. B speaking English. It is radiator cover. Yes radiator cover.

Opens Father Abraham's pressure cap. Water full to the brim.

(with an evil grin) Shey you think because you go school, you think I don't check the water in my radiator. Before them born you. I don dey drive motor. You want make my Gasket burn abi, abi u don't know that if there is no water for radiator e fit cause overheating and burn Gasket. Oga Mechanic. You no know.

Father I know. I know. Do you top water everyday?. Father Abraham is mute..
I like it that you check your radiator water level everyday. It is actually called coolant. Cooloo gini. Coolant. I have heard you

Father see. DMechanic, why you dey put hand inside my radiator. Comot your hand joor. See. Do you know why you have this brownish stuffs. It is not supposed to be so o.

I know you want to teach me something else. Like I have always listened to your talk talk, ehn. When I get back, we go discuss am. Hnm DMechanic. Make me self teach you something.

There is nothing wrong if you check the water level in your radiator. You bin dey say na coolant abi. And you bin dey ask say, shey I dey top am everyday. You know say, I didn't reply you. Me sef wan teach you something, I know you go say you know before.

If you dey top water everyday. E show say your water dey leak somewhere. Normal normal, ones you put water in radiator and the reservoir. You no need to dey top water everyday. It is because it is a closed system and water circulates within its confined boundaries. English English. You have started speaking english. You Sabi english pass spanner. So there are no valid reasons why your coolant level should be down except for abnormalities.

You were talking about this brownish stuffs from my radiator water. Make I no lie, I no know, naxo i dey drive my car since Awolowo, and nothing do am. And I don't care. You fit lecture me sha. But not today. I beg I wan comot. Let me drop you off you at the junction.

Argh Father Abraham, don't worry. I will be fine. Na lie. No Wahalla na. We go talk tomorrow. And are you aware theyv brought NEPA bill? How much is it sir. 800. Dips hand in pocket, have it sir. Na only NEPA Bill you Sabi pay. House rent na Wahalla. Later na.

To be continued....................................

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 10:20am On Oct 04, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 7:17pm On Oct 04, 2018
Coolants. Episode 3

Sweet boy, fresh guy, sweet boy fresh guy
Oga Landlord, good evening o, how is work today. Which work you give me, and come, don't call me Landlord again, this house no be my own, your Landlord dey come tomorrow. I have told everyone in the compound. And all you people that have strong head, na one by one I go dey comot una.

Argh, what is argh. I no get anyother work, na this caretaking job I get and na because I dey perform. Or do you think it is easy to be in charge of over 20 houses for this Bata. Hnm. That my camry wey you dey use learn work dey talk grammar fix , na from worrying people like you I buy am.

Father Abraham, no be fight Na. And you know me I no dey owe o. My only problem be say I dey pay small small. And was I supposed to be your piggy bank ehn. For your information, all the money wey you don deposit, I don chop am o. So you better arrange yourself well till the main Landlord come.

That one no be my problem, na you be my Landlord, na you I know. Na you I give money. You Sabi how you go sort everything o. Ehn, I have heard you. What is inside this keg with you, na Kai Kai?. Father Abraham, you too like drink, Na Radiator Coolant I told you about this morning.

Ehn ehn. Bring it, let me see. I brought it from the shop to show you. Toyota Premixed Coolant. Can I open it? Yes you can. Father Abraham, I will be back in a jiffy. let me go inside and find something to eat.

Chidera good evening o. Akinola how far, omo Yoruba. My dear I am good o, wetin you bring come for me. Nothing, I beg make I enter my room. What is inside that black nylon, Chidera, you too like Aproko ehn. Na meat. Dry meat. If I dey come out go see Father Abraham, I will give you one make you chop. Argh, thank you, na why I like you. Like me, I beg like yourself. I dey come.

This girl rent fit don expire, could be the reason she's famzing o. Let me just stay clear before she use me pay rent. Chai. I don tire. I beg I will see Father Abraham in the morning. Body no be fire wood.

Good Morning Landlord, good Morning Akinola DMechanic, hope you slept well. I did o, you said you were going to come back yesterday, I wait tire. Father Abraham no mind me. I don tire. Ehn ehn. I wanted to ask you. Are you sure the coolant you gave me, is only meant for radiators, because he sweet o. What! Did you drink it, I tasted it, I just drink one cover. Argh, Father! Why are you shouting. No o, it is not drinkable o.

It is meant for your cooling system. Where is the remaining one. I will be back, let me get it. See. This thing don teach half na. No b only me drink am, we bin dey mix am with orijin yesternight. Yeh Mogbey. Though na small we mix, e bin pour away. This is the remaining one. Argh no o. It is not drinkable o.

Unlike you. The cooling system is not supposed to run on just water. Coolants are to be used instead. You pour into the radiator and the reservoir and you were to own one this German or American piece. You fill directly to the coolant tank.

Ehn ehn. As I dey use ordinary water, wetin come happen. Plenty things o, Landlord. I told you not to call me Landlord again. Sorry, see. The corrosion I showed you yesterday is as a result of not using coolant. See how you coolant reservoir just brown.

And you put your water pump, radiator fins, thermostat, water hoses, and your internal engine block with passages of water at the risk of corrosion. Na overheating you are using to play o. Common don't say that. Father I am serious.

Father ehn, let me tell you, Coolant in your cooling system is as important tant as fuel in your tank, and engine oil in the engine. The optimum operating temperature of the engine is between 90-96 degree Celsius. Which is close to the boiling point of water in which bubbles are formed and high pressure are built . With coolant in the system, the boiling point is rather above 100 degree Celsius. Erm Erm, spare me the grammar. What you are saying is that without coolant, I am at the risk of overheating. Yes Father Abraham

And coolants have lubricating properties, which is good for your water pump. Provides ease of rotation and prevents corrosion. But my car no dey overheat now, even though I dey use water. Father, yes, and your air conditioning is not even working there is less pressure on your cooling system. And the effects is not immediate. Most times long-term. Corrosion is not immediate it takes time.

Another advantage is, it makes tracing leakage easier. You see the color. Pink. Those traces are left when you have leakage from any point. Though pressure test are more reliable in confirming leakage. I am sure when you first got this car, no b ordinary dey inside.

Yes, though then na green, not like this pink one you bring. Chinedu say make I comot am. Say our weather different from oyinbo o. And this was two years ago him come put just water. Na wa o. So Chinedu come get pass Oyinbo wey put am. No be mechanic like you. So what do advice now.

It is never too late to do the right thing. Bring your car come my shop. 5, Aba Owerri Road, Aba, Abia State. I will tell you all the options available to you. Akinola. I dey fear that your company, una too dey tear bill. This place na Aba o. Tomorrow Landlord.. Sorry Father. Or you fit come today. No tomorrow, I will come tomorrow.

How much is the coolant. It depends o. There are different types of coolant. Make he rish tomorrow na. I beg, tell me. Let me prepare myself. Father, you too like to they rush. Oya see. I have attached pictures of different coolants and their prices. Make we jam tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 9:17am On Oct 06, 2018
Coolants and types.

DMechanic, Wetin happen, you say you wan give me dry meat yesterday, I no later see you. Ha Chidera, I am sorry, I was very tired ni o. Let me get inside, I will bring it over. No o Akinola, I am coming over myself. Erm Erm, I don't think that will be a good idea o. Don't worry, I will bring it myself. Na you sabi, you go dey do like pastor. Wheras you they carry all this girl's wey no even fine reach me. Chidera, nawa for you o. OK next time, you can come around. Not today. I dey come, make I enter house

This my door ehn, I will put grease one of this days, maybe it will free the lock. DMechanic, how far, Oga Landlord, I dey o, thank God you are here sef, this door lock no good again o. E dey over strong, Sheybi you b engineer, work am now. I be Mechanic, Na Motor I dey fix, not doors. Leave there, let me Open it myself. You see am, e Don open. Na trick, you go drag am, push am, push am again den come drag, before you unlock. Naxo e be. I beg, I no want tricky locks, just change it for me.

You should be more worried about, your rent than the door. The main Landlord still dey come, though he told me, he might not be coming tomorrow again. Maybe next week. He wan carry Mopol come, come pursue all those wey dey owe rent. You know say me I no dey owe, Na small small you dey pay. At least I am not owing.

Father Abraham, good evening o. Vincent how you dey. I dey o. DMechanic, what's up Na.
I am good bro. Things hard o, e go better my brother. Make I enter house. No wahala, we go see tomorrow.

Father Abraham, thank you. Let me enter my room, we will see tomorrow, Sheybi you are still coming over to the shop tomorrow. Yes o, I still dey come. Open door make we enter inside together. OK. Nna ehn, this your room fine o. Thank you, You can have your seat Father.

Ehn ehn, before I forget, I was asking you the cost implication of using coolant in my car. The picture you showed me yesterday had 17,000 Naira for a gallon. That one even cost pass engine oil. Ehn Father, Unlike oil, that you change every 5000 miles, the coolant will do 120 to 150,000 miles before a change, like let's say 5 years. And before now, we had concentrate coolant in which you had to do a 50/50 mix with water. But now, most coolants come pre dilluted. That means you don't need to add water.

And that price you saw is the price for Toyota Factory coolant. Which they recommend for their cars. The last one I got, the one litre,was about 4500 Naira for a Litre. And you will need at least 5 litres for a complete flush... Hahahahah, so I will use 22.5k use buy coolant, money wey I suppose use pay school fees for my Son. No b all the time you go dey change am father Abraham.

There's actually a cheaper option, the Afro Radiator Coolant. A gallon is around 2000 Naira or less. It is an option too. But remember, it is best to stick manufacturers recommendation. But it is not bad too, the only thing I am sur
I am not sure of is it's lubricating property. It is viable option too. It is safer than just using water. Total has their own coolant too, you can always get them at Total Petrol stations. It is the recommended coolant for Peugeots, and the price is friendly.

Ones you fill with coolant, don't do top ups with ordinary water. Top ups ones every month, not more than a cup shows you have no leakage in the system. One of this days, we will discuss about leakage.

Na wa o, Akinola, you know why I no fit pursue you commot for this house, you sabi. And I like people wey sabi around me. Everybody, Don dey respect me when it comes to cars, them dey say I dey talk like manufacturer . I will come to your Company tomorrow. At least I know how much I fit hold when I dey come. Naxo Landlord, you no dey hear word. I no be Landlord. Forget that thing. You be Landlord.

Let me start going, we will see tomorrow. Wait Father Abraham, I have dried meat for you. Let me give you some. Here is it, I fit chop am, yes na. The thing sweet o. Haha. It is seasoned, with pepper, and plenty orisirisi . Hmm, thank you. Give me more,. Here is more, help me give this to Chidera when you pass her room. OK. You should be planning to get married o, you don dey old. No problem Father Abraham, Na you go help me pay the bride price of the babe when the time reach. Sheybi Na me go still help you give am belle. Hahahahah. Good night father. We will see tomorrow . Yes Father. Good Night.

2 Likes

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 4:24pm On Oct 11, 2018
Tales of DMechanic

A move to Restoration (Episode 5)

Good Morning Sir, you are welcome to Motomedics, how may we help you Sir. Which help you fit give me. Na me go help you. Lady laughs, yes o, you are the one that can help us o. Though I meant to say, what are your vehicles concerns. So the way you look at this car ehn, it looks like it has problem ba.

Why you come carry this thick book and biro. Na there you wan write my problems abi. Not exactly sir, It will contain the details of your car, multi point check, and inventory of the valuables in your your car. Father Abraham starts his car, and engages the reverse gear.

Argh, hello Sir, where are you going to. I dey comot. No o, don't comot o. So na my car you wan do all those plenty work on. Puts car back in park. I beg, help me call DMechanic, Sir. I say call DMechanic for me. I am sorry Sir, you can't see the DMechanic. So Akinola na ghost wey I no fit see. Ho, sorry Sir. You want to see Akinola. Don't ask me nonsense questions. Call him for me.

Lady walks back to reception. Akinola some man is asking of you. Ehn ehn. Wait a moment, I am coming. I beg come and see him now.

Nna ehn, shey I for just kuku just go meet Chinedu my mechanic make e do this thing for me. This kind fine place, their money go much o. Too much protocol, multi point check, inventory, yen, yen, rubbish. Hen ehn, see am Akinola is here.

Father Abraham, good morning sir. So dem no know you as DMechanic for here, say na u be the Main man. Come, I no get money o. I know Father, even if you do, will you tell me? She is going to attend to you. And your vehicle will be taken inside. OK ok. I beg tell her I am your Landlord, ho. Na now you turn my Landlord, and if una no do well, I go pursue you comot for house. Naxo. You are in the right place sir.

Isoken, you can continue with him. OK Akin. What is your name sir. What is your own name , I am Isoken Sir.

Oyen Igbo?. No sir, I am from Edo state. Beautiful, do you know you are beautiful?

Thank you sir. What is your name sir. I beg remove the sir. Lady smiles.

Nna ehn, your smile is beautiful, you are beautiful. My name is Father Abraham Oluburugbuchi. Your phone number sir. Give me your own, make I call you. We are not allowed to give out our numbers to customers sir. You can call our official line 082 291 087

Come on, wetin I wan use that one do. Na your own I want. No problem sir, I will give you after fixing your car sir.

I still need your number sir. 07022222111. OK. Can you step over sir. I want to check your mileage sir. Lady writes down mileage.

Please sir, switch on your headlamp. OK, your hazard light, which one be hazard light. I meant your double Traficator. Sir, the left side isnt working o.

We could fix that for you Sir. No. Leave am, I will do that later. I want to put Cooloo! Cooloo!! for my motor. You mean coolant. Yes coolant. Akinola said I need a coolant flush.

I want to check your rear lights. Lady strolls to the back. Father Abraham eyes turns to watch her while she catwalks.

Isoki, you are blessed o. Thank you sir. Could you you please apply the brakes sir. OK. That is fine sir. Switch on the ignition and engage car in reverse gear.

Good. All your rear lights are OK.

Are you through?. No sir. What valuables do you have in your car sir. Nothing. Nothing.

Let's walk through your car to check scratches.

Come come young woman, I don't all have this time. You have used almost 20 minutes on just check check. Wetin

Sorry Sir. There are no obvious dents on your car. You can come to the reception sir.

You are going to pay 3000 naira for evaluation. Wetin you talk.

Lady opens door. Kai. See how una place fine. You sure say na mechanic una dey do here. Yes sir. We have a bar, some place you can relax while we work on your car. And a barbing saloon and a Dry cleaning outlet upstairs.

Nna ehn. I like this place.

You can have your sit sir.

Ehn ehn, you were saying I will pay 3000. Ogini. That one na for what.

Evaluation sir.

What are you evaluating.

To check your car sir.

No check anything. I just want a coolant flush.

OK sir.

Your car is a 2003 camry. The Toyota recommended factory coolant is 18500 sir. And preferably, you should buy two. You could use the left over from the second gallon for top ups

Hahahaha. So u are saying I will pay a 37 thason. For just coolant.

How much is your labor.

The service charge is 5000 naira sir.

Ho. Ho.

Akin said there is one you call Abro. He said that one is around 2000 naira for a gallon. Yes. But we don't have that in stock. The Toyota Premised coolant is the manufacturers recommendation sir.
We also have AISIN anti freeze coolant.

Erm Erm. How much be this my motor sef. E b like say I will b using my ordinary water like that o. That is ill-advised sir.

Na to collect my money dey sweet you. Let me go ahn arrange myself. I will come back later

OK sir.

Where is Akinola.

He is probably in the workshop. Let me call him.

Father Abraham. How far.

Nna ehn. To do this coolant flush no be small money o. I will come back later when I am ready.

Then I suppose fit do am myself.

Ehn Father. Well, I will teach how to. But I won't advise it, unless you are doing the job while being supervised by a technical person.

No Wahalla, I just want to know how to do it myself.

OK sir

Tommorow is Saturday. There is enough time to go through with everything.

Na still una go do am. I just wan sabi

That is not a problem sir.

Tomorrow we will discuss step by step process of coolant flush.

Isoki. Thank you

I am Isoken sir. Or you can call me ISK

Do have a great day. You people should take this 1000 to buy card

Thank you Father.

Thank you too. We go see for house na. Yes sir

Have a great day Sir.

To be continued

2 Likes

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 4:29pm On Oct 11, 2018
How to do a Coolant Flush (episode 6)

Good evening Father Abraham, Akinola, evening. I got back not long ago. Come I will like to know how to do a coolant flush o.

Father, that one na small thing. Let me get inside, will be back before you know it. Na lie. You wan go sleep. Abi we should do that tomorrow? No. OK let me just run through the process

I would not advise that you do this yourself o. Akinola , I want to know. Is there anything wrong there. You want to to keep the knowledge to yourself, so I would always run to you.

OK ok. I actually did not mean it that way. A coolant flush is pretty straight forward.

You are going to need a jack, stands, a basin( retainer), coolant, radiator cleaner, a tool set and your will to see through the process.

First, let car get cool. Engage your park brake. Jack the front hood up and place stands. Locate radiator drain plug and loosen it. Coolant(water) in the system drains out.

What I do most times, which rules out all of the above, is remove the inlet and outlet radiator hose , and romove the radiator itself for a flush at a car wash. This could be replaced with using radiator cleaner instead.

Retighten radiator drain plug after complete drain. Pour the mixture of radiator cleaner and water into radiator, ensure radiator is full to brim, and fix the pressure cap. Start car and let it run for like 5 minutes.

Erm Akinola, e don do. The thing too much. Drain, Retighten, pressure cap. My ear don dey pain me. Father relax joor. Let me finish, na you say you wan know.

After that, what's next. Drain and fill with just water, drain and repeat the water refill for 2 more times.

You can now fill your radiator with the fresh coolant. Most coolants now come pre mixed, this is always written on container. Fill till radiator is full to brim. Start the car, and fill again, most of the coolant will be dragged into engine block.

Cover pressure cap. And switch engine of. After coolant flush, you will need to bleed the system. Bleeding process varies with brand.

Which one be bleeding, the car get blood? Haha. It means to remove air from the system, or else car will overheat

Like I said before, I do not advise you do this yourself. Let DMechanic chop your money.

Wow. At least I know what the process is like. No problem, I will come over to the shop when I am ready. No Wahalla. Hope I can go now father. Yes.

Ehn ehn. Come, you have not paid Security fee o. Which Security. Father, I beg, Jesus is my security. I know that you will do strong head. Whether Jesus or not. You must pay o.

Father Abraham goodnight.

2 Likes

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 6:45pm On Oct 12, 2018
Tales of DMechanic

Engine oils

Father Abraham, has many sons
Many sons has Father Abraham
I am one of them
And so are you.........

You should join your church choristers o. I wanted to o, they said my voice is not righteous, I don't know what that means. And I know, that.. Akinola, Akinola. Don't start another story.

You said you wanted to show me how to check my oil level.

Hnm, yes, Yes. Let's run through it

https:///DRVnscSpdCTLUmLRsUIJ8H

The best time to check your engine oil level is every morning, before you start the car. And that is supposed to be a ritual. Or, 30 minutes after parking the vehicle, to ensure that all oil has settled.

The color should be be goldish, and gets darker with use. A milky engine oil, like an over rich chocolate tea is evident of a burnt head Gasket.

Come go show me for my car. Oya make we go. Please open the bonnet.

Come o Father. First, you ensure you secure the bonnet using the stand. If your vehicle uses shocks, confirm they are OK. DMechanic, you too like story, check the oil, no be say I no know all this things.

Father Abraham, I beg let me talk. The engine oil dip stick is always written engine oil. The dip stick is located either in front or by the sides of the engine.

Do you know it is not all cars that have oil dip sticks? Na lie, no car wey no get. Well father, make I tell you, no b all cars get dipstick. The latest models of BMW's AUDIS, and Porsche do not have dipsticks.

See this marks. They are the minimum and maximum mark. It shouldn't go beyond the max. And anything below the minimum is danger zone. Fair a little below max. Preferably on the max mark.

Look at this your oil cap. Common with Toyotas, they write the recommended oil for your car. SAE 5w30. That is the oil viscosity.

I am going to tell you a story about why it is so important to use the right oil grade.

To be continued

1 Like

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 7:00pm On Oct 12, 2018
Tales of DMechanic

Engine Oils

All oils have grades and ratings. We have the API (American Petroleum Institute), or SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings. Common oil viscosities are 20w50, 10w40, 5w30, 5w20, 0w20.

Wetin be all this w, w, wey you dey mention and what's viscosity and wetin concern am with my car.

Father, cool down I will explain. The w there represents winter. Winter? We get winter for Nigeria. Winter is the coldest season, more like harmattan mornings.

For the 5w30. The 5 is the viscosity of the oil at 0 degree celsius, and 30 is the viscosity of the oil at 100 degree celsius. The lower the viscosity, the lighter the oil.

Wait wait. Na all those light oil?, wey be like groundnut oil be the oil you dey talk about. Ehn yes, they are lighter, compared to the 20w50 the Mobil xhp wey you dey use.

Argh. God forbid. I will never use that oil. My mechanic Chinedu said it is too lightweight and it will knock my engine. And say, shey I no know say our weather different from oyinbo own.

Chinedu your mechanic does not know that there are some places in Florida USA and California that are way hotter than Nigeria, and they still stick to manufacturers recommendation.

Akinola DMechanic, you don ever pass Nigerian boundary before? wey you take know say their place they hot. Father Abraham, forget, i no need to pass boundary before i know. Infact Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Thailand and Trinidad have way hotter temperatures. And they do not shelve their recommended engine oils

Oya, see the oil cap of your own. What is this? API SL SAE 5w30.

There is the API SJ for 2001 and older vehicles SL for 2004 down, SM for 2010 down and the latest API SN designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, fuel economy, turbocharger protection and reduce emission

Chai, this your kind of mechanic ehn. Oyinbo too much. So what do i do.

To be continued

1 Like

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 11:48am On Oct 19, 2018
Tales of DMechanic

Recommended oils

https:///DRVnscSpdCTLUmLRsUIJ8H

Chai, this your kind of mechanic ehn. Oyinbo too much. So what do i do.

First, I will like to get the view of a competent mechanic if I can do the switch back to the recommended oil.

Ho really, why do you say that? Father Abraham, the thing is, a car that has been abused with a wrong engine oil will be so sludged that switching back to recommended oil can lead to a mirage of problems, such as blockage of oil passage in the engine block, failure of camshaft sensors. An assessment of state of abuse is paramount when intending a switch.

Na wa o. Na true wa Father. You see, all this Asians will forgive you if you use the wrong oil. You don't try that with the European and American vehicles. The aftermath are almost instant.

But this my car is American spec now. Yes, your camry was made in Kentucky, but it is still a Japanese technology.

Knowing before hand on the need to use recommended oil, even before you own a car keeps you are armed and well informed.

I wish you don come this house tey tey. Hahaha. Father Abraham, I am already here. Let us make use of the now.

You know wetin Akinola. You have really not told me in clear points what the effect of using a wrong engine oil are. Really. Yes Really! Ok

1. Low gas mileage, cos your car go dey consume more fuel. May seem insignificant though. You give the oil pump more work to do
2. Formation of sludge in the engine
3. Less cooling of engine
4. Engine wear
5. The engine might not last as long.

Just like using a low viscosity oil for latest vehicle as recommended by manufacturer is advised, using them on older vehicles is calling for trouble. As the oil are to thin and will cause wear.

Clearer term. Do not use a 0w20 for a vehicle that recommends 5w30.

Hnm. I don Learn plenty things today DMechanic. My brain don they hot. You said you were going to tell me a story that reinforces sticking with recommended oil.

Ho yes. I almost forgot. OK let me tell you.

There was this QX56 owned by

To be continued.....

1 Like

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 11:50am On Oct 19, 2018
Tales of DMechanic

QX56 Brouhaha.

There was this QX56 20 owned by one of this big big men from South South. Vehicle came to shop with complaints that it suddenly looses power while in motion.

We did a scan, it brought a code with a description that oil pressure was low, camshaft malfunction, and whole lot of other codes. I swear, there was virtually nothing we didn't do in trying to fix this big Monster with room and parlor comfort.

If you remove the airflow meter while idling and plug it back on. It will steam fine for a while. Infact for two days before Wahalla will start again

We changed camshaft sensors, serviced nozzles, checked fuel pump pressure, check oil pump. Everything seem good.

Of course, the code was low oil pressure. We finally taught of fixing a new oil pump. But before we did, we thought of doing an oil change.

We used the 0w20 recommended for the vehicle. Father Abraham, Wahalla of over 2 weeks got solved. Vehicle steams fine. Does not loose power. Customer was happy.

The cause of the fault was that vehicle had been running on 20w50. Too weighty, the oil pump was not designed to carry that much weight of oil for lubrication.

If you are using some vehicle produced before year 2000. You could toy with using any oil. But if you have one of these latest piece well crafted with precision and little tolerance between moving parts. My brothers, don't try it.

Akinola Akinola. Akinola DMechanic. Na me be that Father. I have learnt much from this your story o. I will start using recommended oil.

I want to ask a question o, Akinola. You know this synthetic oils don full market. Can I just buy any?.

Good question. And good observation Father. Oil true true full market. Infact everybody is now making and selling engine oil. Companies that produce palm oil, have switched to making Synthetic engine oils. This begs for caution while buying oils.

So I am going to reel out my advice routed from experience. This should not be taking as a rule of thumb.

What oil brands should you buy.

To be continued.....

1 Like

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by Youhesh(m): 9:32pm On Nov 13, 2018
Oga, you ni go finish your lecture?
Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 8:48am On Nov 14, 2018
Youhesh:
Oga, you ni go finish your lecture?

I will my oga. Na long lecture, e no dey finish cool. As long as theres always car on the road, and a Father Abraham angry to Bant with grin.

Trying to structure some things cry. Setting up dmechanic.com, from dia, better tory and car care tips.

Na small time i neeed.
Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by Almaiga: 8:27pm On Nov 14, 2018
OilsPartsCars:

I will my oga. Na long lecture, e no dey finish cool. As long as theres always car on the road, and a Father Abraham angry to Bant with grin.

Trying to structure some things cry. Setting up dmechanic.com, from dia, better tory and car care tips.

Na small time i neeed.

Ride on, I dey feel you from this side.

Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by princejones(m): 5:38am On Nov 15, 2018
OilsPartsCars:
Tales of DMechanic

QX56 Brouhaha.

There was this QX56 20 owned by one of this big big men from South South. Vehicle came to shop with complaints that it suddenly looses power while in motion.
Can l make a switch on a corolla that was bought 2010 and been using Mobil xhp before now.Will it affect anything or should continue using the xhp.Please advice accordingly

We did a scan, it brought a code with a description that oil pressure was low, camshaft malfunction, and whole lot of other codes. I swear, there was virtually nothing we didn't do in trying to fix this big Monster with room and parlor comfort.

If you remove the airflow meter while idling and plug it back on. It will steam fine for a while. Infact for two days before Wahalla will start again

We changed camshaft sensors, serviced nozzles, checked fuel pump pressure, check oil pump. Everything seem good.

Of course, the code was low oil pressure. We finally taught of fixing a new oil pump. But before we did, we thought of doing an oil change.

We used the 0w20 recommended for the vehicle. Father Abraham, Wahalla of over 2 weeks got solved. Vehicle steams fine. Does not loose power. Customer was happy.

The cause of the fault was that vehicle had been running on 20w50. Too weighty, the oil pump was not designed to carry that much weight of oil for lubrication.

If you are using some vehicle produced before year 2000. You could toy with using any oil. But if you have one of these latest piece well crafted with precision and little tolerance between moving parts. My brothers, don't try it.

Akinola Akinola. Akinola DMechanic. Na me be that Father. I have learnt much from this your story o. I will start using recommended oil.

I want to ask a question o, Akinola. You know this synthetic oils don full market. Can I just buy any?.

Good question. And good observation Father. Oil true true full market. Infact everybody is now making and selling engine oil. Companies that produce palm oil, have switched to making Synthetic engine oils. This begs for caution while buying oils.

So I am going to reel out my advice routed from experience. This should not be taking as a rule of thumb.

What oil brands should you buy.

To be continued.....
there is this Toyota corolla that has been using Mobil xhp for oil change from 2010 and we are thinking of switching to Mobil 1 synthetic oil,what is your view and opinion on it,please advice accordingly
Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by mustydeen(m): 5:51am On Nov 15, 2018
princejones:
there is this Toyota corolla that has been using Mobil xhp for oil change from 2010 and we are thinking of switching to Mobil 1 synthetic oil,what is your view and opinion on it,please advice accordingly

On the sidelines, waiting for Akinola DMechanic like this tongue
Re: Tales On the Grind fixing cars by OilsPartsCars: 5:54am On Nov 15, 2018
princejones:

Please dont switch.

If you really want to switch, do a 10w40.

My advice is that, you continue with the 20w50, and change every 3000 miles and be religious about it. That corolla has been abused for 8 years, switching to a synthetic oil will lead to mirage problems.

Wait on the lines till the engine dies, get a tuks and stick with recommended oil when you do.

This advice is from experience.

(1) (Reply)

How Would You Feel It This Were To Happen To Your Car? (PHOTOS) / Buy Cheap Cars From Canada / Pls Advice: Infinity QX4, Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.