Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,465 members, 7,836,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway (14019 Views)

Tuition Hike: Nigerian Students To Embark On Mass Protest / One Shot Dead In Kaduna As Students Protest Tuition Hike / Akeredolu Hires Pro-govt Students To Counter Protests Over AAUA Tuition Hike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Flets: 7:37am On Oct 04, 2018
Nigerians ain’t see suffering yet. Wait Buhari wins 2019.

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by whitebeard(m): 7:37am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
I even want the fees to increase to 1m for science and engineering students and 800k for arts so as to minimized the number of unemployed graduates and to make students sit up.
have u ever tastesd anything really good in ur life..!
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Ekspensive(m): 7:38am On Oct 04, 2018
No hike in the tuition fees? then who needs education bank? You people can't take Nigerians for a fool all the time.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by respectralph: 7:42am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
I even want the fees to increase to 1m for science and engineering students and 800k for arts so as to minimized the number of unemployed graduates and to make students sit up.

ONLY d rich will be able to pay this fees and still have dere children employed in all organisations .
It will be a way of legalizing dere backward employment

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by picoba(m): 7:42am On Oct 04, 2018
Meaning there is a plan toward increment. They want to give out loan and at the same time increase school fee. Give and take back.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by adamsumale(m): 7:49am On Oct 04, 2018
Its more like Education Insurance..which will fail. This guys are just senseless. We haven't finished with pension scams, housing scams, Health Insurance Scam ..etc...now you want to add education into the scam so that the low class individual won't be able to school abi. Your kids are out there graduating from Leicester and others. SMH for Nigeria. Any one who come here and claims to see light in this is that person that @musicnmagic is talking about....nonsense poo

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by akoko11: 7:50am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:

What

#RestructureNigeriaNow
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by jbtobsyn(m): 8:00am On Oct 04, 2018
ajibolabd:
where is this one from?
That is one of Buhari's zombie. He licks Buhari's ass all the time. He has no meaningful contribution.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by 12345baba(m): 8:03am On Oct 04, 2018
this govt dey use our intelligence dey play ten ten
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by stasius: 8:03am On Oct 04, 2018
Education Bank is for granting loans to students abi? Why is it necessary when u don't wanna hike the price of tuition fee?

Continue.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 04, 2018
ajibolabd:
where is this one from?
d guy is worser than lucifer
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:13am On Oct 04, 2018
If you like increase it to 1billion na you sabi.

Ordinary education sector u cannot effectively manage.

When the colonialists were here, despite the meagre resources they gave the present leaders quality education.

Now this present leaders, since they got independence have been dishing out garbage education to generations.

The university I attended was a complete waste of time, most of the knowledge, I acquired myself, not from lecturers.

People should start taking their destiny into their hands. Moreover there is Google which has made learning easier.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by trillville(m): 8:20am On Oct 04, 2018
The Nigerian government always likes looking for simple solutions to complex issues.
Governments job is to create EQUAL opportunity to its citizens to ensure that whatever talent God has given to its citizens can be maximized.

Einstein was just one man. Newton was one man. Elon Musk is one man. If these people didn't have the opportunity at getting quality Education, the world would not be where it is today.

Nigeria has a problem with poor quality of education across all levels. People like Babalakin, Oshiomole and Tinubu with massive mansions should be paying ridiculous property taxes. Primary and secondary education in most western nations are funded this way. If we have chosen to copy their system of government (democracy), why didn't we copy their taxation system. In ancient England, every rich family owned a castle. Those castles are now used to raise horses and carryout events. What happened to the owners of those castles? Property taxes. Must Nigeria be stuck in ancient European times?

Nigeria already has the highest number of people living in extreme poverty. Education in Nigeria is the only way a person stands a chance at escaping from extreme poverty. When our Infrasture, security and laws create an enabling environment for business growth, university education will become less important.

Finally, how does ASUU come up with the amount of money in requests from the FG and how did Babalakin come up with 350 thousand naira? Has any comparative research into the cost of producing one quality graduate from a public versus a private university being carried out? Is it possible that the public universities are being inefficiently managed like the majority of public institutions in Nigeria? We need these answers.

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Trendy247: 8:47am On Oct 04, 2018
Printerscanner:

What do we call the people that gave birth to an unfortunate child like you?
U mean ur parents? They are fools also!
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by thatigboman: 9:04am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
is this ur argument logical?
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Funkybabee(f): 9:06am On Oct 04, 2018
Better ooo but it no kuku concern me much whether u increase it or not just let fund available for loan and u won't even kill me if I graduates without paying back cuz of lack of job
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by ClintonNzedimma(m): 9:07am On Oct 04, 2018
respectralph:

ONLY d rich will be able to pay this fees and still have dere children employed in all organisations .
It will be a way of legalizing dere backward employment
In all honesty, that's how it is abroad, the model should be simple, if the increase will bring tremendous increase in quality of education, I highly welcome it but if not, no. Tertiary education is a privilege not a right, if you feel you are smart enough, get a scholarship or student loans. This will drastically reduce the number of graduates we churn out every year but incrase the quality of graduates which is depleting every year, the choice is a very difficult choice but it will reduce the number of Geologists working in GTBAnk. I stand to be corrected though if you have an opposite point of view
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by bablogee(m): 9:10am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
You mean only the children of the rich are entitled to education?
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by IbrahimDamola: 9:39am On Oct 04, 2018
Buhari don finish this country. Chei!
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by larryhills: 9:58am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
ur left nyash. Cant dey make it free edu?
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by zoedew: 10:53am On Oct 04, 2018
Do they think we are fools? Once the Education bank is in place the FG will increase the fees now denied and its answer will be that parents are free to access the bank for loans to pay the outrageous fees. The FG will claim it has done its duty to the citizenry by floating the Education Bank. If the FG had allocated to Education its due in the budget as as benchmarked by the UN it would be a different story.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by zoedew: 11:01am On Oct 04, 2018
Duunnci:
This two way GSM audio spy device calls you when it detects sounds around its vicinity. Trying to find out the truth about what's being said behind your back?. Now you can from a distance. .You can even place several of these spy audio devices and set them up at your desired locations like the bedroom, living room, conference room or office.." Price is #20.000... To buy pls call the phone number below. Pay on delivery is available to all States in Nigeria.

Major distributor of high blood pressure and hypertension! Those who patronise you except for security and business purposes are closer to their graves than they realise!! Kontinuuuu!!
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:25am On Oct 04, 2018
trillville:
The Nigerian government always likes looking for simple solutions to complex issues.
Governments job is to create EQUAL opportunity to its citizens to ensure that whatever talent God has given to its citizens can be maximized.

Einstein was just one man. Newton was one man. Elon Musk is one man. If these people didn't have the opportunity at getting quality Education, the world would not be where it is today.

Nigeria has a problem with poor quality of education across all levels. People like Babalakin, Oshiomole and Tinubu with massive mansions should be paying ridiculous property taxes. Primary and secondary education in most western nations are funded this way. If we have chosen to copy their system of government (democracy), why didn't we copy their taxation system. In ancient England, every rich family owned a castle. Those castles are now used to raise horses and carryout events. What happened to the owners of those castles? Property taxes. Must Nigeria be stuck in ancient European times?

Nigeria already has the highest number of people living in extreme poverty. Education in Nigeria is the only way a person stands a chance at escaping from extreme poverty. When our Infrasture, security and laws create an enabling environment for business growth, university education will become less important.

Finally, how does ASUU come up with the amount of money in requests from the FG and how did Babalakin come up with 350 thousand naira? Has any comparative research into the cost of producing one quality graduate from a public versus a private university being carried out? Is it possible that the public universities are being inefficiently managed like the majority of public institutions in Nigeria? We need these answers.
bro thank you very much, I just had a rethink of current position on the issue

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Prettysophy: 11:49am On Oct 04, 2018
This is as a result of poor state of journalism across Nigeria.
Reporting anything you hear for traffic.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by klimkid: 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2018
The Federal Government did not and has no intention of introducing
tuition fees in our universities, not to even mention the figure of
N350, 000. What is true is that because of the commitment of the present
administration to guarantee the right of the Nigerian children not only
to education, but to be positively engaged, the President directed that
the ministry, along with the Ministry of Finance, should jointly organize a workshop that will come up with sustainable and very workable
recommendation on funding education in Nigeria.”
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by omoelerin1: 2:42pm On Oct 04, 2018
joey150:
I'll prefer that the price of university tuition increases in line with the quality of education. Your degree is useless if most employers outside Nigeria refuses to acknowledge it and if every Tom, Dick and Harry has it.

Again, primary and secondary schools should be free or highly subsidized and we should focus on developing individuals right from their formative years.

We need to invest more in primary and secondary school education. Tertiary education should be more expensive if it means channeling extra funds to our government primary and secondary schools.

These are hard choices, Nigerians would revolt and most likely see it as evil. But we need a leader with vision to start making all the hard decisions for us in this country.

Rubbish
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by joey150(m): 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2018
omoelerin1:
Rubbish

Exactly my point.

People like you probably never had good basic education.

It 10x harder to reform and adult than train a child.

Have a lovely day Mr.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by omoelerin1: 4:03pm On Oct 04, 2018
joey150:

Exactly my point.

People like you probably never had good basic education.

It 10x harder to reform and adult than train a child.

Have a lovely day Mr.
We know your type, 'selfish and wicked'! They would not wish others rising up, achieving that thing they have achieved, attaining the level they have attained. Because it is a threat to their ego.
University education is not meant for every Tom, Dick and Harry, but it is meant for you and your children? Why are primary and secondary education meant for everyone, but university education is not meant for everybody?
What you're saying in essence is that those who are poor should be denied the right to university education simply because they are poor? It is an offence to be poor? Anyone who does not have enough money to go to university automatically becomes a tom, dick and Harry whom university education is not meant for, but once you have money it is meant for you? In your opinion, it is financial capability that determines one's suitability for university?
Subsidizing education has been one of the primary duties of any responsible govt all over the world. Every citizen has a right to quality and AFFORDABLE education. Even Nigerian Constitution says so. In your wickedness, you believe an effective way of denying millions of Nigerians, access to university education is by increasing fees. Because you know majority of the populace are poor and will not be able to afford it. Poor you.

To improve standard of our education does not necessarily require increase in tuition fees. There are many countries where education is highly subsidized, does it bring down the standard of their education? University education is free in Germany, yet is there any fallen standard of their education?

I don't wish people like you find themselves in the position of policy decision making in this nation.

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by joey150(m): 5:02pm On Oct 04, 2018
omoelerin1:
We know your type, 'selfish and wicked'! They would not wish others rising up, achieving that thing they have achieved, attaining the level they have attained. Because it is a threat to their ego.
University education is not meant for every Tom, Dick and Harry, but it is meant for you and your children? Why are primary and secondary education meant for everyone, but university education is not meant for everybody?
What you're saying in essence is that those who are poor should be denied the right to university education simply because they are poor? It is an offence to be poor? Anyone who does not have enough money to go to university automatically becomes a tom, dick and Harry whom university education is not meant for, but once you have money it is meant for you? In your opinion, it is financial capability that determines one's suitability for university?
Subsidizing education has been one of the primary duties of any responsible govt all over the world. Every citizen has a right to quality and AFFORDABLE education. Even Nigerian Constitution says so. In your wickedness, you believe an effective way of denying millions of Nigerians, access to university education is by increasing fees. Because you know majority of the populace are poor and will not be able to afford it. Poor you.

To improve standard of our education does not necessarily require increase in tuition fees. There are many countries where education is highly subsidized, does it bring down the standard of their education? University education is free in Germany, yet is there any fallen standard of their education?

I don't wish people like you find themselves in the position of policy decision making in this nation.

Because Germany has reached a stage where they can adequately fund their tertiary education, does not mean that we have.

Most Universities abroad are damn expensive. To the extent that students even have to take out expensive loans, or haven't you heard? I think you're the naive one here.

This isn't about me or my children, it's about reforming education the right way. It's about providing quality education that would truly make an impact on the lives of the people.

We have a bunch of substandard universities that have outdated curriculums and lack the basic facilities for even a college. If you've travelled abroad or know a thing or two, then you would know that most countries detest our BSC because they believe it's worthless (and that isn't very far from the truth).

Education has never been cheap. Our government has demonstrated that they cannot adequately run or offer cheap tertiary education. Why not take that money and revive all of our primary and secondary schools? Where education is most needed?

In case you don't know, as you rise up the education ladder, the importance of education diminishes. There would of course be loans and scholarships for the less privileged.

Unless we are going to actually spend a good amount of money upgrading our universities, 50k as tuition fees will never cut it and our University certificates will continue to be substandard and disregarded internationally.

I had to actually break it down for you. Because many Nigerians do not logically analyse things. It's all sentiments and petty emotions.

Raise tuition fees and you'll see only those that really want to go to Universities apply to enter. Revamp primary and secondary schools and you'll see the ripple effect on the whole country.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by trillville(m): 6:30pm On Oct 04, 2018
joey150:

Because Germany has reached a stage where they can adequately fund their tertiary education, does not mean that we have.

Most Universities abroad are damn expensive. To the extent that students even have to take out expensive loans, or haven't you heard? I think you're the naive one here.

This isn't about me or my children, it's about reforming education the right way. It's about providing quality education that would truly make an impact on the lives of the people.

We have a bunch of substandard universities that have outdated curriculums and lack the basic facilities for even a college. If you've travelled abroad or know a thing or two, then you would know that most countries detest our BSC because they believe it's worthless (and that isn't very far from the truth).

Education has never been cheap. Our government has demonstrated that they cannot adequately run or offer cheap tertiary education. Why not take that money and revive all of our primary and secondary schools? Where education is most needed?

In case you don't know, as you rise up the education ladder, the importance of education diminishes. There would of course be loans and scholarships for the less privileged.

Unless we are going to actually spend a good amount of money upgrading our universities, 50k as tuition fees will never cut it and our University certificates will continue to be substandard and disregarded internationally.

I had to actually break it down for you. Because many Nigerians do not logically analyse things. It's all sentiments and petty emotions.

Raise tuition fees and you'll see only those that really want to go to Universities apply to enter. Revamp primary and secondary schools and you'll see the ripple effect on the whole country.

You are making some valid points but I do not fully agree with you.

First of all, in most developed countries, tertiary education is cheap. Only schools in the United States and the United Kingdom are very expensive. In other western developed countries, education is highly subsidized through progressive taxation.

Secondly, no one knows how much the federal government is spending on educating students at our public institutions. Is this a case of mismanagement of funds as it is in other government owned institutions? Research needs to be done to compare the cost of training a person in a private university versus a public school. An increase to 350 thousand would not yield an improvement in education if inefficiency is the issue.

Finally, talented people may not be given an opportunity at getting an education. It is the government's job to develop it's human capital. The better Nigerians are in life, the better the nation will be. I watch basketball a lot and it hurts me knowing the Giannis Antetokumnpo is referred to as the Greek freek, instead of the Nigerian nightmare. The young man is amongst the top 5 players in the NBA but he wants nothing to do with Nigeria because of Nigeria's lack of care for it's citizens. As a youth, giannis sold bootlegged clothes on the streets of Greece to survive because his country provided no opportunity for his parents to reach their goals. Please let Nigeria not lose other talented people.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by omoelerin1: 6:45pm On Oct 04, 2018
joey150:

Rubbish as usual.
Straight to the trash bin.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Veritas University Suspends Student For 3 Weeks Over Noise Making / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / 5 Basic Skills Every Student Should Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.