Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway (13998 Views)

Tuition Hike: Nigerian Students To Embark On Mass Protest / One Shot Dead In Kaduna As Students Protest Tuition Hike / Akeredolu Hires Pro-govt Students To Counter Protests Over AAUA Tuition Hike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Prinq: 2:36am On Oct 04, 2018

The Federal Ministry of Education on Wednesday said there was no plan to increase the tuition to N350, 000 per session as claimed by the Academic Staff Union of Universities, noting that the establishment of an Education Bank was already in the pipeline.

The Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Mr Sonny Echono, stated this in Abuja while reacting to the allegations by the ASUU, noting that the re-establishment of the Education Bank was to provide students with loans and other resources through a public-private partnership.

Echono, who spoke at a World Teachers’ Day Symposium, said teachers that did not have the requisite qualifications would be flushed out of the system by 2020.

Recall that it was reported on Wednesday that the ASUU Ibadan Zonal Coordinator, Dr Ade Adejumo, raised the alarm on the Federal Government’s planned increment in fees, saying the planned increment led to the collapse of the 2017/2018 renegotiation of the 2009 Federal Government/ASUU agreement.

But the Permanent Secretary denied that the government had any such plan.

Echono said, “The Federal Government did not and has no intention of introducing tuition fees in our universities, not to even mention the figure of N350, 000. This can easily be verified. The students have just registered for school and their parents are aware of how much they paid.

“What is true is that because of the commitment of the present administration to guarantee the right of the Nigerian children not only to education, but to be positively engaged, the President directed that the ministry, along with the Ministry of Finance, should jointly organise a workshop that will come up with sustainable and very workable recommendation on funding education in Nigeria.”

In a related development, the Academic Staff Union of University, Kano zone, on Wednesday, rejected plans by the Babalakin-led Federal Government negotiating team, to introduce the payment of tuition fee in the Nigerian Universities of about N350,000, just as it also supported the call by the Nigerian Labour Congress for a new minimum wage.

Source:- http://www.lekkigists.com.ng/2018/10/fg-denies-tuition-hike-says-education.html

Cc; Richiez
fynestboi

3 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by mimimile93: 4:35am On Oct 04, 2018
I even want the fees to increase to 1m for science and engineering students and 800k for arts so as to minimized the number of unemployed graduates and to make students sit up.

6 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by nony43(m): 7:12am On Oct 04, 2018
Some Federal schools are paying are paying as much as 50k already

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Pabloosas(m): 7:13am On Oct 04, 2018
Education Bank? And u mean to tell us increment is not in your plans, eh? Continue o

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by cooldipo(m): 7:13am On Oct 04, 2018
They proposed it when AASU asked for increased finding to Uni

There is no denying that fact

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by shamack: 7:14am On Oct 04, 2018
H

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by IMASTEX: 7:14am On Oct 04, 2018
As expected
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Trendy247: 7:14am On Oct 04, 2018
Dem go change talk if dem win next year election..
Buhari is a fool at 100

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Duunnci: 7:14am On Oct 04, 2018
This two way GSM audio spy device calls you when it detects sounds around its vicinity. Trying to find out the truth about what's being said behind your back?. Now you can from a distance. .You can even place several of these spy audio devices and set them up at your desired locations like the bedroom, living room, conference room or office.." Price is #20.000... To buy pls call the phone number below. Pay on delivery is available to all States in Nigeria.

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by BedLam: 7:14am On Oct 04, 2018
Agricultural bank. Bank of industry. Then education bank.
.since i didnt read the post, I will assume this bank will lend money to students, somehow ? Lending money to students is not bad. But where are they going to be employed?

12 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
I even want the fees to increase to 1m for science and engineering students and 800k for arts so as to minimized the number of unemployed graduates and to make students sit up.
where is this one from?

11 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by September13: 7:15am On Oct 04, 2018
Education bank in the pipeline

I laugh

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by alabi484(m): 7:15am On Oct 04, 2018
Propaganda everywhere

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by IMASTEX: 7:15am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
Even with the poor quantity in education?

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by fratermathy(m): 7:16am On Oct 04, 2018
ASUU will definitely go on strike soon. The FG doesn't want to fund universities the same way it funds the legislative arm of government and yet they want guaranteed high quality service delivery. Unfortunately, its the students that suffer from the negligence of the government.

If the FG cannot fund universities, they should privatise them or operate a system where the universities can be self sustaining. One of the problems with the Nigerian federal system is that the government at the center wields too much power and control over public institutions. No government can work when it provides public services to 180+ million persons without proper funding structures in place.

12 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Cloud007: 7:16am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
with less than 18k minimum wage. Please be considerate and fear God

4 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by inoki247: 7:16am On Oct 04, 2018
if you like open Corruption Bank... we never see job with d education we Buy for 25k talkless of the one we buy for 500k or 350k.

3 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by FELIX0M0R: 7:17am On Oct 04, 2018
IMASTEX:

Even with the poor quantity in education?
Dont mind him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by joey150(m): 7:17am On Oct 04, 2018
I'll prefer that the price of university tuition increases in line with the quality of education. Your degree is useless if most employers outside Nigeria refuses to acknowledge it and if every Tom, Dick and Harry has it.

Again, primary and secondary schools should be free or highly subsidized and we should focus on developing individuals right from their formative years.

We need to invest more in primary and secondary school education. Tertiary education should be more expensive if it means channeling extra funds to our government primary and secondary schools.

These are hard choices, Nigerians would revolt and most likely see it as evil. But we need a leader with vision to start making all the hard decisions for us in this country.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Angelicka(f): 7:18am On Oct 04, 2018
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by eneyoduke(m): 7:18am On Oct 04, 2018
Education bank in a school pipeline tongue
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Printerscanner: 7:24am On Oct 04, 2018
Trendy247:
Dem go change talk if dem win next year election..
Buhari is a fool at 100

What do we call the people that gave birth to an unfortunate child like you?
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Chisaedhor: 7:25am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:

Thunder kill you der

You are the most stupid being on earth

3 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 04, 2018
This is what happens when you make a mallam the minister of education and a professor the minister of state for education.

Most of these ministers are just useless. No new policies, nothing.

I wonder what's up with minister for health? Is he waiting for Ebola to break out before letting us know there's a ministry of health?

How about minister for interior, Danbazzau? Is it until his Fulani kinsmen wipe out the entire middle belt of Nigeria before he wakes up from slumber?

And to think that Buhari spent months scouring the earth and sky for his ministers.

It's almost 4 years and electricity is far far from being stable. Fashola, where art thou?

The only ministry that seems to be working is finance. Others collected the baton and went to sleep.

Ministry of Justice is as useless as they come. Despite the humongous corruption in Jonathan's era, there's yet to be a conviction of any of the star players despite having a list of corrupt officials. All they are good at is offering plea bargains, and the criminal walks off with a slap on the wrist.

I wonder what they discuss at the Federal Executive Council meetings sef.

13 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by lexy2014: 7:28am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
is it high fees that is used 2 reduce unemployment and make students serious in school?

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Samade7: 7:31am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:

u have taken Akpeteshi again?
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by presentley: 7:31am On Oct 04, 2018
Duunnci:
This two way GSM audio spy device calls you when it detects sounds around its vicinity. Trying to find out the truth about what's being said behind your back?. Now you can from a distance. .You can even place several of these spy audio devices and set them up at your desired locations like the bedroom, living room, conference room or office.." Price is #20.000... To buy pls call the phone number below. Pay on delivery is available to all States in Nigeria.
oga, if you are writing twenty thousand, write it clearly by using comma because me I'm not sure if the price I'm seeing above is what you actually mean to write or there's an error somewhere. Abi no be N9 be this?

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 04, 2018
Let's watch and see.

Until our government takes Education seriously, it will still be the same old song (strikes, poor educational standards, half-baked graduates, and so on).
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by musicnmagic(m): 7:31am On Oct 04, 2018
mimimile93:
What specie of animal are you?
So heartless, foolish, brainless n also a zombie
chai see the kind of thing i share country with.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by homebase(m): 7:32am On Oct 04, 2018
Establishment of an Education Bank?

So it is true Buhari administration want to jack up tuition fees to N350,000 as alleged by ASUU.

Because ASUU mentioned that the FG proposed to create Education Bank where students will be loaned
to pay the N350,000 fees and repay after graduation.

The idea which ASUU claimed to have rejected because employment opportunity is not guarantee after graduation.

So now for the Federal Ministry of Education to affirmed the idea of establishing Education Bank mean ASUU is right.

The Federal Ministry of Education on Wednesday said there was no plan to increase the tuition to N350, 000 per session as claimed by the Academic Staff Union of Universities, noting that the[b] establishment of an Education Bank [/b]was already in the pipeline.

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by arantess: 7:34am On Oct 04, 2018
[s]
mimimile93:
[/s]
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by jaxxy(m): 7:34am On Oct 04, 2018
Who do they want to drown with ridiculous loans? The government and economy needs to be fixed 1st. There are no jobs for most of the current graduates u now want to burden the new one with loans. Where will they get jobs to pay these loans.

We all know the graduates we dish out don’t even get the required or right jobs based on their level of study. This is total Nonsense because the education they are paying so much for is almost useless to many them.

Fix the economy, power and better jobs 1st. This is not America

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World Youth Day: 1000 Unilag Students Join Access Bank To Celebrate (photos) / My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA / Lasu Produce Six First Class , 6885 Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.