Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,452 members, 7,836,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway (14018 Views)

Tuition Hike: Nigerian Students To Embark On Mass Protest / One Shot Dead In Kaduna As Students Protest Tuition Hike / Akeredolu Hires Pro-govt Students To Counter Protests Over AAUA Tuition Hike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by joey150(m): 7:26pm On Oct 04, 2018
omoelerin1:
Rubbish as usual.
Straight to the trash bin.

As usual. Nothing to say.

I quite understand. You know very little about the subject to make any meaningful contribution.

I appreciate your decision to keep quiet rather than unravel your gross ignorance on this matter.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by joey150(m): 7:36pm On Oct 04, 2018
trillville:

You are making some valid points but I do not fully agree with you.

First of all, in most developed countries, tertiary education is cheap. Only schools in the United States and the United Kingdom are very expensive. In other western developed countries, education is highly subsidized through progressive taxation.

Secondly, no one knows how much the federal government is spending on educating students at our public institutions. Is this a case of mismanagement of funds as it is in other government owned institutions? Research needs to be done to compare the cost of training a person in a private university versus a public school. An increase to 350 thousand would not yield an improvement in education if inefficiency is the issue.

Finally, talented people may not be given an opportunity at getting an education. It is the government's job to develop it's human capital. The better Nigerians are in life, the better the nation will be. I watch basketball a lot and it hurts me knowing the Giannis Antetokumnpo is referred to as the Greek freek, instead of the Nigerian nightmare. The young man is amongst the top 5 players in the NBA but he wants nothing to do with Nigeria because of Nigeria's lack of care for it's citizens. As a youth, giannis sold bootlegged clothes on the streets of Greece to survive because his country provided no opportunity for his parents to reach their goals. Please let Nigeria not lose other talented people.

As I said, I support a hike in tuition fee ONLY if it would translate in the provision of better education.

Which other European country is struggling to educate more than 20 million youths? I'll be glad if you can mention a few of them.

How many students does the government want to subsidize tertiary education for? And at what expense? The compromise is too many people going to few mismanaged universities.

I'm not necessarily pushing for 350k at once. The increment can be steady and slow. Whichever way you look at it, our education system is a big joke and it isn't even harnessing half the potential of the young brains we have.

Either the government allocates more money to education or increase the tuition fee. Either way, our education system needs urgent funding and sincere management.

If not we would just be awarding people Degree certificates for the fun of it.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by omoelerin1: 8:23pm On Oct 04, 2018
joey150:

As usual. Nothing to say.

I quite understand. You know very little about the subject to make any meaningful contribution.

I appreciate your decision to keep quiet rather than unravel your gross ignorance on this matter.
Sincerely speaking, I don't see anything sensible in what you put down there. So no need of arguing on what I consider as gibberish.

If university education is not meant for everybody, then same thing is applicable to you, because you're no better than the rest of the graduates out there whatsoever.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by joey150(m): 9:01pm On Oct 04, 2018
omoelerin1:
Sincerely speaking, I don't see anything sensible in what you put down there. So no need of arguing on what I consider as gibberish.

If university education is not meant for everybody, then same thing is applicable to you, because you're no better than the rest of the graduates out there whatsoever.

The fact that something isn't meant for everybody, dosent stop anybody from attempting it.

Not everyone can become an astronaut but of course anybody can try to become an astronaut. That's just a simple example.

And I'm not saying I'm greater or lesser than any graduate out there. I'm just saying, although the university shouldn't be for everybody, anybody that does want it, can attempt to go.

Unfortunately, You my friend, is still missing the point. Not that I'm surprised anyway, you've been missing the point since 11am today.

Have a good night.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by trillville(m): 9:21pm On Oct 04, 2018
As I said, I support a hike in tuition fee ONLY if it would translate in the provision of better education.

We can both agree that our educational system is very poor. Where we differ is in the solution. The last president earned the most money Nigeria has ever earned in a 4 year period, yet Nigeria did not gain any significant improvement. My point is that more money is not always the solution to better quality. Has any research been conducted to find out how much the ministry of education, tetfund, ETF and other bodies spend on our universities? Can we compare the cost of producing a public versus a private graduate in Nigeria. These are the first steps in understanding what is really needed and not discussions on increasing school fees.

Which other European country is struggling to educate more than 20 million youths? I'll be glad if you can mention a few of them.

You brought up two issues here, overpopulation and low cost of education. Your earlier post answered our problems with overpopulation in my opinion. Improvements to our primary and secondary schools would lead to better exposure and a reduction in our birth rates. As for educating 20 million people, Osinbajo's recent interview gave us a little incite on that matter.
Osinbajo mentioned that Nigerians were the most educated group in the United States even more than American citizens with 60 percent of Nigerians being graduates as compared to 30 percent of Americans. what I found in interesting is that only 30 percent of Americans feel the need to go to university most likely because earning a livable wage is not tied to having a degree. Whereas our Nigerians in diaspora still feel the need to earn degrees because in Nigeria a degree is basically the only means of escaping from extreme poverty. Government must reorganize how it earns and manages our resources putting emphasis on efficiency of the allocation of our resources. This is governments responsibility. They need to create an enabling environment.

As for countries with low tuition in Europe, you yourself know that there are subsidized universities across Europe and if you don't, google is your friend.

How many students does the government want to subsidize tertiary education for? And at what expense? The compromise is too many people going to few mismanaged universities.

the question you should ask is why are so many Nigerians trying to get a university degree. I answered this: to escape poverty.

I'm not necessarily pushing for 350k at once. The increment can be steady and slow. Whichever way you look at it, our education system is a big joke and it isn't even harnessing half the potential of the young brains we have.

We need a debate or at least research that shows us the problem is actually inadequate funding and not inefficiency by our public institutions.

Either the government allocates more money to education or increase the tuition fee. Either way, our education system needs urgent funding and sincere management.

Same as the last point

If not we would just be awarding people Degree certificates for the fun of it.

PS: I work in a public university, but was educated in a private one.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by trillville(m): 9:33pm On Oct 04, 2018
To add to my previous point, if research is carried out comparing the cost of producing a private Vs public university graduate, the government will know the optimum number of students it can train based on the amount it is currently spending. The government can then seek to provide funding for students based of their performance in Jamb. This will solve this whole problem using a merit based system without increasing the school fees.
Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Amhappy(f): 11:31pm On Oct 04, 2018
For those who are comparing education in developed countries to Nigeria please what is the minimum wage in those countries?I have an uncle that lives in the states,his 4 children are graduates yet him and his wife are just teachers. How much are teachers paid in Nigeria? With a tuition of 350k for Arts and 500k for sciences how many teachers in Nigeria can afford to send their kids to higher institution.

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway by Amhappy(f): 11:32pm On Oct 04, 2018
And even if there's scholarship,how transparent will the process be? Some states offers scholarship but still only the children of the high and mighty or political affilates who ordinarily could afford schooling get them. We are a very greedy people.Our problem is complex thus solution should be wholesome.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Veritas University Suspends Student For 3 Weeks Over Noise Making / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / 5 Basic Skills Every Student Should Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.