Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Discernment - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Discernment (384 Views)

Discernment To Been A Catholic Priest / How To Develop Spiritual Sensitivity And Discernment Of Spirit – Apostle Joshua / Open Heaven 14 December 2018 Prayer Points On Today – The Need For Discernment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discernment by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 07, 2018
I just want to speak on the spirit of discernment.

1 Corinthians 12:10 (KJV)
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Now in secular terms, discernment has been given the name "intuition" and women have been gifted (as it's been said) with an extraordinary amount of it wink
You know that feeling that something, someone or a certain situation just isn't right?

However, I'll need to speak from the context of spirituality. I also am aware that the gifts of the spirit are to be used within the church to edify it.
However, I'll deal with the spiritual term "discernment" in practical everyday and personal lives, because it does have a role to play in each of our lives. The Holy Spirit's leading through the Bible usually (for a professed follower) should be the means of determining discernment.
I used to glance past that gift and not really see its importance. But as I've gotten older and lived life a little, I see how important it is. Christ tells us to always be prayerful.
1 Peter 5:8 (KJV)
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

I marvel at Christ' ability to continue lovingly work with people who clearly had an agenda to ultimately destroy Him. Now...yes I can't, nor will I, try to explain the fact that Jesus was also (man in the flesh and God the son), however He was tempted at all points yet without sin.
Hebrews 4:15 KJV
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Here's what gets me.
He KNEW that people didn't have His best interest at heart.
He KNEW that traps were being set for him in order to "trick Him and somehow embarrass Him, label Him a false teacher or try to make Him seem non-credible". Yet the Pharisees showed a façade of pretense, praised Him (a few times), and pretended to be interested in Him.
Matthew 22:15-18 (KJV)

15 Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk.
16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?
18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

He KNEW that He would be betrayed by one of His disciples.
John 13:21 (KJV)
21 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

He KNEW many people followed Him only to receive what they could get...but NOT because they were sincere in knowing who He really was or to learn from Him.
John 6:26-27 (KJV)

26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

He knew all of this yet He loved these people and continued trying to show them the way....
It reminds me to be very vigilant and careful on this Christian journey and to always pray for discernment about any situation......any place....(including all platforms of social media....if I can be practical and specific).
So I say to those who strive to follow Christ wholeheartedly: Do NOT be fooled by "words of enticement"....by fellow "Christians" or non-Christians...yet be loving.
Continue to pray for the spirit of discernment. Continue to show the love of Christ...but be very wise about it.

Isaiah 8:20 (KJV)
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

1 John 4:1 (KJV)
4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Likes

Re: Discernment by pressplay411(m): 2:44am On Dec 30, 2018
Discernment is so vital.
Thanks for this. Compliments of the season Mobilia.
More Grace, Wisdom and Discernment to you and us all.

1 Like

Re: Discernment by Nobody: 1:56am On Dec 31, 2018
pressplay411:
Discernment is so vital.
Thanks for this. Compliments of the season Mo/bilia.
More Grace, Wisdom and Discernment to you and us all.

Yes it absolutely is....
Truly humbled...thank you for your blessed threads also...
I've been reading them...
I'm so ready for 2019..
May God bless you, brother, even more in this new year...which, of course, He will...
Re: Discernment by pressplay411(m): 8:47am On Dec 31, 2018
Mobilia:

Yes it absolutely is....
Truly humbled...thank you for your blessed threads also...
I've been reading them...
I'm so ready for 2019..
May God bless you, brother, even more in this new year...which, of course, He will...

Amen
Thanks. I was richly blessed going through your threads too. More Grace to you.
I can't wait to see what He'll accomplish with us all in 2019.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Feminists Vs The Bible: What The Bible Says About Who Cooks. / Asia Bibi / 'we Have Been Schooled In Error’ - Daddy Freeze Comes Out For Patience Ozokwor O

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.