Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria (10682 Views)

Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures / Aviation Minister Paddles A Canoe To Her Flooded Anambra Hometown / Oshiomole In A Canoe Helping Flood Victims: Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 13, 2010
Are these children also rowing the boat themselves?  shocked shocked shocked

I'll have no problem with this if:

1. All the children aboard can swim
2. If an adult is available to guide/guard  them
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by hatch: 8:53pm On Jul 13, 2010
[size=28pt]Dear God

Please give us the grace to not allow the little things in life become our greatest worries undecided[/size]
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by shanktang(m): 10:32pm On Jul 13, 2010
I see the pic sort of like '' i'll get there even if i have to swim the river''  it shows a champion spirit, and the enormous courage we possess as nigerians, inspite of all the odds, we will survive. Tnx BBC for telling the world hw resolute we could be as a people.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by shotster50(m): 11:46pm On Jul 13, 2010
If there ever was a case of shoot the messenger , ,
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Outstrip(f): 12:58am On Jul 14, 2010
How can you show a picture of kids going to school by canoe and yet complain that they said that they are going to school by canoe. This is serious grin
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 2:52am On Jul 14, 2010
They live in a riverine area, hence the need for canoe, for the kids to been alone on the canoe means they have been using this means of transport for a long time and that their parents already trust them with the canoe.

I doubt it if none of them can swim and i must also confess to you that i learnt how to swim through going with friends to the river, not because we were too poor to visit the beach, but because i just wanted to have a story too, i always hear my friends talking about stuffs like this.

I also remember that i use to save my transport fare just to trek with some of my friends to school, i enjoyed every part of the trekking, i could trek a distance of 1hr without dropping a sweat and it was fun.

Don't be surprised that these kids might have taken this canoe without their parent's knowledge just to enjoy the sailing and river alone just like my friends and i use to keep our transport fare by trekking to school just to pluck every fruits we see on our way, stone, kill every bird we see on our way, chase every lizard that venture our way or even try to shadow our female class-mates just to get some attention from them.

This picture could be any of these.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:59am On Jul 14, 2010
[size=14pt] ROFLMAO!![/size]

chei !!! see denial ooo!!!
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by tpiah: 3:28am On Jul 14, 2010
is it because these children arent militants that nigerian illiterates want to disturb everybody?

i really dont see the point of this thread.

abeg can someone show photos of white people going to school by canoe so we can have some peace in here!
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by teekay8(m): 8:28am On Jul 14, 2010
Lets call it 'HISTORY'.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Tolulop001(f): 8:45am On Jul 14, 2010
is it not better that they are going to school?
only, life vests might not be a bad idea, tho i can bet that they can all swim.
nonetheless, im sure it was put up there in bad taste. Worrevaaa cheesy
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by trusted(m): 8:54am On Jul 14, 2010
What is the Prove that these are Nigerian Kids?
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by anitabest(f): 9:08am On Jul 14, 2010
oyb:

some of those kids fit be preisdo tomorrow - sort of like our omo canoe builder  cheesy cheesy

yes o, na true u talk my bros.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 14, 2010
I'm yet to see what's wrong with this picture.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by solo1ng1: 9:22am On Jul 14, 2010
What's the big deal in this? If you leave in the riverine area, how do you go to school? aren't you going to cross the river to the otherside in other to get to school.
The arguement should not be about going to school on canoe, but people living on water like we have at ebute metta, just watch dem from 3rd mainland,
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by ud4u: 9:46am On Jul 14, 2010
Does everything in Nigeria call for criticism. Some people lives across the river or ocean and before they go to school, work or trade, they have to enter canoe to cross over. So what is wrong with that?
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Litmus: 9:53am On Jul 14, 2010
It's about time we start questioning the West's obsession with safety. The human spirit needs a little bit of adventure, we don't ultimately thrive in  sterile environments such as that which is developing in Britain where everything is being monitored and Health and Safety makes it even difficult for parents to organize a simple outing to the seaside. The world needs the Autobans and Kids Traveling on canoes.

There are arguments  to be made for the real intention of the BBC but taking the pictures at face value if those kids are lucky enough to continue all the way with their education, i mean to reach and finish university etc, the sort of experience depicted in the picture will make them far brighter, alert, intelligent and go-getting people than will the boring and sterilized experience of  growing up in the West  make Western kids.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by legba1(m): 10:02am On Jul 14, 2010
@ all, i appriciate thie attitude depicted here.i see the can do spirit in this and am sure these kids will trive more if giving the half the opportunity that abound in th western world.lil wonder our pple thrive well wen they have the chance to step younder where opportunities abounds aplenty.i applaud the ATTITUDE but our society could offer much more cox we got all it takes.
@ BEEF AND OYB,YOU GUYS SHOULD BE YOUR AGE NAH.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by titominty: 10:08am On Jul 14, 2010
Not seeing anything bad in this picture cos this is known as Nigeria way of doing things all thanks to our leaders whose children are

schooling outside the country's border. NLder's should stop the use of flagrant words and should start reasoning together, the forum

is there to see different views and individual opinion the  next man has a right to his/her opinion

Peace 9ja,
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by kaybanwo: 10:17am On Jul 14, 2010
:d
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Okijajuju1(m): 10:26am On Jul 14, 2010
So what does BBC want those kids to do?

Their father cant afford a yatch!! Thats the only means of gettin to school.
The kids prolly have learners permit to operate that canoe.
If nothing, that picture shows and proves that Nigerians would go to any lenght to give their kids an education.

Abeg make these Britons free us. Which one be their own?
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Okijajuju1(m): 10:28am On Jul 14, 2010
the canoe sef na brand new tokunbo.
Wats the fuss about.
The kids look happy
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by KokoBeware: 10:44am On Jul 14, 2010
hey live in a riverine area, hence the need for canoe, for the kids to been alone on the canoe means they have been using this means of transport for a long time and that their parents already trust them with the canoe.

I doubt it if none of them can swim and i must also confess to you that i learnt how to swim through going with friends to the river, not because we were too poor to visit the beach, but because i just wanted to have a story too, i always hear my friends talking about stuffs like this.

This picture could be any of these.

Bless You, they live in the riverrine area:: they were virtually born on water,it s the sam as trecking some distance to go to school,

nigerians should stop being defensive. it is time to provide school bus for kids going to sch.
stop child and animal abuse
School busses dat ride on shallow waters, there are free scholl busses in so manystate, Rivers state for example, just that they don't move on water yet,

why cant Good Luck donate his 'Presidential Yatch' to take these kids to school?

crazy country.

Presidential Yatch cannot sail in dat water, if u notice they are not even using paddles, they are using long sticks which can reach the bottom of the water to produce the thrust they need, THE WATER IS SHALLLOOOOOWWWW, its a riverine area, building a bridge there is also senseless,

The kids cross the water everyday going to market, church and there is definitely no problem crossing it to go to schooollll
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by johnblaze1: 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2010
Does anyone else notice that these children have no safety gear on? I see an undertone of negligence on our part as a country to safeguard the lives of our citizens. If these young children must paddle their way to school, at least they should wear life jackets! If this canoe should capsize now, thats about 7 lives gone , just like that!

If they must paddle to school, at least this should be the minimum standard.[img]http://www.visit-germany.jp/images/content/pic_uw_kocher_rdax_331x248.jpg[/img]

Our people are dying daily on sea and the roads and its just business as usual.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by justdtruth: 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2010
a look at the pictures on the bbc website puts a smile on my face. i couldnt get many details but am trying to figure out that location in the lekki area. the journalist wants a selling point and thats the reason for the use of going to school by canoe. if it were going to be a report on the northern part of the country, then it will be gong to school by donkey.

hey, the water is like land to the people of this country who live in the river and lagoon areas and they take pleasure in the ways they relate with it. what would you expect of someone who practically lives on water. if you live on an island where there is no school, i wonder how you will get to one if not by canoe or oh a boat if in the uk, i beg make them leave us or na we no go mind them oyinbo.

i hear someone talk of safety and i laugh in pigin. safety! when the day you are born, you will be immersed in the water as a baptism and confirmation as a true son or daughter of the water. do you wonder why nobody remembers any accidents?
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by hbabe(f): 2:38pm On Jul 14, 2010
justdtruth:

a look at the pictures on the bbc website puts a smile on my face. i couldnt get many details but am trying to figure out that location in the lekki area. the journalist wants a selling point and thats the reason for the use of going to school by canoe. if it were going to be a report on the northern part of the country, then it will be gong to school by donkey.

hey, the water is like land to the people of this country who live in the river and lagoon areas and they take pleasure in the ways they relate with it. what would you expect of someone who practically lives on water. if you live on an island where there is no school, i wonder how you will get to one if not by canoe or oh a boat if in the uk, i beg make them leave us or na we no go mind them oyinbo.

i hear someone talk of safety and i laugh in pigin. safety! when the day you are born, you will be immersed in the water as a baptism and confirmation as a true son or daughter of the water. do you wonder why nobody remembers any accidents?

Very true. I see nothing wrong with going to school by paddling a canoe, its akin to riding in a molue in Lagos. These kids live on water and learnt to swim before they could walk so the case of drowing is very minimal; just as cases of dying through motor accidents on the way to school for kids going to school with the school bus or private vehicles.
Maybe if we were more developed the government will make boats available to take the kids in the riverine areas to school and back.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 14, 2010
You guys talking about resilient Nigeria Spirit should not annoy me abeg. Just watched on TV how some kids who cross a river by tying a rope from one tree to another (Tarzan Style) died on Monday, so abeg find something else to say. BBC thank you, please keep embarassing us sincve we no get shame
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by redsun(m): 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2010
Knowing how to swim is not enough reason to over look safety measures even among adults.The same mentality of overlooking safety is why some suppose adult nigerians will rather pilfer fuel from a crashed highly imflamable and explosive fuel tanker or damaged fuel pipes and end up roasting themselves alive  instead of evacuating the scene as people with common sense and safety in mind will do.

We can not get these things right unless we understand the basics.Common sense.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by hbabe(f): 3:05pm On Jul 14, 2010
A caring government would have to distribute life jackets to every family in the riverine area because these same kids go fishing in the canoe early in the morning before going to school.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Gentlebabs(m): 3:07pm On Jul 14, 2010
[b]@ Deep Soul: [/b]I love ur submissions. So much though put into black and white…Kip it up. Nigeria is closer to her glorious place than some of us think.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by occam(m): 3:50pm On Jul 14, 2010
@Beaf
The best option is to stay away from BBC website if you dislike their message.

The irony is that you are helping BBC drive more visitors to their site. BBC wants the audience to see this type of content and share the link amongst their friends through forums like this. Those friends then click the link to see the photograph and may view other content on BBC (online advertising 101). Like other media companies, BBC is also generating revenue from online. More visitors = more revenue

You can also create content (videos or photographs) that shows positive things about Nigeria, post it on this forum and we’ll help spread the word. Now I don’t mean pictures of houses in Abuja or Lekki.
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:15pm On Jul 14, 2010
aisha2:

You guys talking about resilient Nigeria Spirit should not annoy me abeg. Just watched on TV how some kids who cross a river by tying a rope from one tree to another (Tarzan Style) died on Monday, so abeg find something else to say. BBC thank you, please keep embarassing us sincve we no get shame

WOW!!! I mean what can one really do anymore? ALl we can do is cry on Facebook and keep looking for ways to contact those in charge . . e don tire person no be small
Re: Bbc Again! In Pictures: Going To School By Canoe In Nigeria by Beaf: 4:16pm On Jul 14, 2010
occam:

@Beaf
The best option is to stay away from BBC website if you dislike their message.

The irony is that you are helping BBC drive more visitors to their site. BBC wants the audience to see this type of content and share the link amongst their friends through forums like this. Those friends then click the link to see the photograph and may view other content on BBC (online advertising 101). Like other media companies, BBC is also generating revenue from online. More visitors = more revenue

You can also create content (videos or photographs) that shows positive things about Nigeria, post it on this forum and we’ll help spread the word. Now I don’t mean pictures of houses in Abuja or Lekki.

Roll over and give up?
No, the best option is to speak out against BBC's motives. We are not as powerless as you think.

The BBC is all about reinforcing a derogatory image of Africa, there are no excuses for not standing up to them. I gave an earlier example (linked) of them posting a picture a picture of the apartheid flag of South Africa on their African news homepage for weeks, despite several protests. Such things must stop and they will only stop if we gain the fibre to to say, "NO MORE!"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Governorship Election Tomorrow At 8am / Hope Uzodinma And The Illusion Of A Second Term By Dumebi Ifeanyichukwu / Nigeria In 2065 - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.