Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? (20414 Views)

Whale Appears At The Shores Of A Beach In Sierra Leone (Video) / Drama In Sierra Leone As Corpse Walks To The House Of Ritualist That Killed Her / Twenty Indian soldiers Die After Clash With China Along Disputed Border (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by gratiaeo(m): 9:32am On Oct 15, 2018
That is actually what i have been saying about 8 lane Lagos - Badagry express road, Why building a new expensive one when you know that the problem of the old one is maintainance.

2 Likes

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Krixnimbus(m): 9:33am On Oct 15, 2018
That is a government that has the interest of its people at heart, in the case of nigeria personal interest is the order of the fay

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Diso60090(m): 9:34am On Oct 15, 2018
pakingzzzz:
Who will build the airport then? cry

You never read you dey comment
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by dominique(f): 9:37am On Oct 15, 2018
Bossontop:

Ma, It jus seems as if ur comment is directed towards a certain lifeless president like dat ooo.......hmmmm i jus wonder who

Him and countless other African leaders past and present
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by techstack: 9:39am On Oct 15, 2018
vivaciousvivi:

"After serious consideration and diligence, it is the Government's view that (it) is uneconomical to proceed with the construction of the new airport when the existing one is grossly under utilized," said a letter from the country's Minister of Transport and Aviation

Culled from: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/11/africa/china-africa-sierra-leone-airport-intl/index.html

There you have it
Good reason

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by realmindz: 9:43am On Oct 15, 2018
Free lunch does not exist, China wants to colonise Africa but our leaders are so dumb as usual. History has a way of repeating itself.
The whites were once here and our lands down to our culture and religion were sold cheaply.
China is here and African leaders have started mortgaging their souls to them. Africa love dependence, which way Africa?

2 Likes

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:44am On Oct 15, 2018
Lazyreporta:
vivaciousvivi

Now you see why I mentioned a mod?

What have you been up to lately?
Nothing much. Life has been good, thank you smiley
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by amadiwati(m): 9:45am On Oct 15, 2018
vivaciousvivi:
Sierra Leone has nixed plans to build a controversial, $318 million airport outside the capital of Freetown with a Chinese company and funded by Chinese loans.The mega project, which was due to be completed in 2022, had been commissioned by the previous president Ernest Bai Koroma in March this year.

Its cancellation comes amid cooling enthusiasm in both Pakistan and Malaysia for Chinese loans backing large-scale infrastructure projects in recent months. But Sierra Leone's decision is the first time an African government has cancelled an already announced, major China-backed deal.

"After serious consideration and diligence, it is the Government's view that (it) is uneconomical to proceed with the construction of the new airport when the existing one is grossly under utilized," said a letter from the country's Minister of Transport and Aviation to the project's director, published in local media. Speaking to the BBC on Wednesday 10th October, Sierra Leone's Aviation Minister Kabineh Kallon said the current airport would be renovated instead.

The Mamamah International Airport deal had been controversial for years, partly due to the "lack of transparency" about its terms.

Sierra Leone will now upgrade its current airport in the town of Lungi, which has been criticised for its poor connectivity to the capital. Lungi is separated from Freetown by an estuary, which means a ferry ride is necessary to reach the city.The government is reportedly considering building a bridge to link the airport to Freetown.

Collectively, African countries owe China about $130 billion, according to the China-Africa Research Initiative, money which has mainly been used to fund transport, power and mining projects.

In August, 16 United States senators warned their government, in a letter to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, that "predatory Chinese infrastructure financing" was creating unsustainable levels of debt in the developing world, which the IMF was having to bail out.

Culled from: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/11/africa/china-africa-sierra-leone-airport-intl/index.html

This is beautiful. It would have been a penny wise pound foolish idea. Nice thinking

3 Likes

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by leisuretym: 9:46am On Oct 15, 2018
one day, I will be rich enough to pay off African nations debt, all of them.
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:47am On Oct 15, 2018
dominique:
Africa is not cursed to be dependent on developed countries forever. How I wish our leaders can get their acts right and start utilizing resources effectively rather than rushing to Western countries and Asia for grants, loans and aids.
Have you read the CNN editorial on the city of Addis Ababa? You will be shook!
CNN calls it the city that China built, in fact all the infrastructure including the construction companies and workers), are all Chinese
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by frankfrancis871: 9:49am On Oct 15, 2018
dominique:
Africa is not cursed to be dependent on developed countries forever. How I wish our leaders can get their acts right and start utilizing resources effectively rather than rushing to Western countries and Asia for grants, loans and aids.

There in Eastern part of this geographical location are people who can do better if given a chance by African people!

Whether African believe it or not, Biafra is the black nation that can stand Her ground and say NO! A nation that black round the world will be proud of them, a nation that will bring Africans together, Biafra is the saviour of Africa given to them by God yet they are condemned! I weep for Africa..

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/igbo-blessing-nigeria/
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by ndubueze92(m): 9:50am On Oct 15, 2018
dominique:
We have the line of thought..
Sometimes, I imagine that we in Africa are cursed with bad leadership.

3 Likes

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Lazyreporta(m): 9:52am On Oct 15, 2018
vivaciousvivi:

Nothing much. Life has been good, thank you smiley

Alright!!!
Have a nice week

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by BabaO2: 10:01am On Oct 15, 2018
Sierra Leone will live to regret it, is Sierra Leone now our role model? Same way we are regretting yaradua cancellation of refinery sold to Dangote/otedola. Present value now of same refinery is less than what Dangote/otedola was to pay. We shouldn't be having petrol/fuel challenges by now if the contract had not been cancelled. Good international airports aid countries developments.

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:09am On Oct 15, 2018
BabaO2:
Sierra Leone will live to regret it, is Sierra Leone now our role model? Same way we are regretting yaradua cancellation of refinery sold to Dangote/otedola. Present value now of same refinery is less than what Dangote/otedola was to pay. We shouldn't be having petrol/fuel challenges by now if the contract had not been cancelled. Good international airports aid countries developments.
Please read the editirial again.
The government of Sierra Leone isn't refuting what you stated.

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by pakingzzzz: 10:14am On Oct 15, 2018
Diso60090:

You never read you dey comment

You dey my mind? Abi you be artificial intelligence cry cry embarassed
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by pat077: 10:15am On Oct 15, 2018
Good decision
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by biosystech: 10:27am On Oct 15, 2018
vivaciousvivi:

Have you read the CNN editorial on the city of Addis Ababa? You will be shook!
CNN calls it the city that China built, in fact all the infrastructure including the construction companies and workers), are all Chinese

Can I get a link to that please?

Thank you.
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by toffyz(m): 10:38am On Oct 15, 2018
Bossontop:

Ma, It jus seems as if ur comment is directed towards a certain lifeless president like dat ooo.......hmmmm i jus wonder who

Ya FADA
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Johnadelaide00: 10:41am On Oct 15, 2018
The real story is not what the headline portrays.

Freetown the capital of Sierra Leone has it current International Airport outside of the capital due to lack of space for a airport ( Freetown is largely hills and valleys a reason while no airport can be cited there).

The current airport outside Freetown is connected to the city via Water or traveling by road for over two hours.

The new government cancelled the new airport project because it would rather invest in building bridges from Freetown to Lungi (current airport town).

The government is taking this decision in order to open up the capital that is congested. This will pave way for tourism and real estate as Freetown is so congested and the terrain (hills and valley) is a huge contributing factor.

The government will still rely on the Chinese in achieving the bridge project.

2 Likes

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by planetx: 10:44am On Oct 15, 2018
The Chinese are just colonizing Africa but in a more subtle way, they know most African countries will default on the loans and they take a collateral in return. They are doing that already in Zambia by taking their airport, broadcasting station etc, now the newspapers in Zambia are publishing in mandarin.
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by lonlytroy(m): 10:53am On Oct 15, 2018
dominique:

Funny enough they will still spend the loan and grants in the same western world.
Black mentality

2 Likes

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 15, 2018
dominique:

My sister the average black man is cursed & brainwashed to believe anything made by him is inferior while every rubbish from outside Africa is superior, I was even shocked when a classmate of mine believes that white man is a higher human being than him, this friend of mine was a 2.1 graduate woh, he even thinks am crazy for believing that white man is no better than us blacks.

That was when I noticed, blacks will be slaves to the whites for a looooong time

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 15, 2018
planetx:
The Chinese are just colonizing Africa but in a more subtle way, they know most African countries will default on the loans and they take a collateral in return. They are doing that already in Zambia by taking their airport, broadcasting station etc, now the newspapers in Zambia are publishing in mandarin.

You not serious jare grin , but still you are not far from the truth, in fact just watching CGTN scares the shyt out of him, chinco are freaking everywhere in Africa
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 15, 2018
They didn't build Hospitals, Schools, Affordable Houses, clean tap water, Good sewages and provide Enough food for their citizens. They are building A bloody Airport.
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Diso60090(m): 11:26am On Oct 15, 2018
pakingzzzz:

You dey my mind? Abi you be artificial intelligence cry cry embarassed

Yeah i can read your mind and i know What you thinking �
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by King44(m): 11:35am On Oct 15, 2018
for the first time I am hearing of an African leader using his sense... he almost forgot using his sense though, that by d side, how do u borrow loan from a country to finance construction project, then employ a construction company from that same country that will use 90% or 95% of it professional construction workers while probably the remaining 10% or 5% professional are sorted locally n most times they are forced to do so to complete such project, thereafter, u still pay ur debt which is compulsory to that same country and in most cases these debts are not paid or paid completed it spreads over years and they still borrow more, using debt to finance debt, why not source for local competent firms with vision and knows how to source for it materials that can have the job done quickly n probably use 10% of their professionals... unfortunately it does not work that way even those local construction firms that are even used must have bribed one politician u got the firm the contract so sad
Re: Sierra Leone Cancels $300 Million Airport Deal With China - Lessons For Nigeria? by Oblang(m): 11:51am On Oct 15, 2018
Wailers claim has bin that Gej already secured china's loan on airport investments in Nigeria b4 Buhari came so what's the problem now?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Coup: All ECOWAS Chiefs Of Defence Staff To Meet In Abuja Today / Trump: African, Asian Immigrants Poisoning US Blood / Hosni Mubarak Is Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.