Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Thread For Mechanical Engineers... - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thread For Mechanical Engineers... (11238 Views)

Thread For May 2021 BCS Certificate Exam / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / OND Mechanical Engineers Needed Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by swaqqaboi(m): 5:50pm On Oct 17, 2018
I am a mechanical engineering student
University of ilorin
500L
I salute engineers in the house and my fellow engineering colleagues
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by SunFlow(m): 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2018
ariesbull:

In developed country they have decided emohasised on paper certification...it's hands on experience

I honestly like your analysis... For me, it does not matter what name you chose to ans... Engineer oo, technologist ooo, the end justifies the means.

I did my 1year IT in an AC and Refrigeration Workshop together with a 500L EE students and an MSc students in Mechanical Enginering in UNN. You won't believe me when I say i was the boss amongst them, applied thermodynmics and all

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by ariesbull: 5:46am On Oct 18, 2018
SunFlow:

I honestly like your analysis... For me, it does not matter what name you chose to ans... Engineer oo, technologist ooo, the end justifies the means.

I did my 1year IT in an AC and Refrigeration Workshop together with a 500L EE students and an MSc students in Mechanical Enginering in UNN. You won't believe me when I say i was the boss amongst them, applied thermodynmics and all

That's what I am talking ... practical experience is what matters but 90 percent of our so called engineers are just book knowledge
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by ariesbull: 5:50am On Oct 18, 2018
blackgold2018:
Reading through some comments I saw a whole mechanical graduate claiming engineering is theory and anybody can do the practical. I give up.
While I came here for my own enquiry though. Please what are the basic IT knowledge an engineer should know or learn after graduation/Nysc??

You see how we have given up on them when they aid engineering is theory thing
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by ariesbull: 5:51am On Oct 18, 2018
Blyzz:
OK, I'll play with my fellow technician. You claiming to be an engineer, yet you've not invented anything in your life, you don't even know the procedures to produce a bolt. Yes, i know robot can be program to couple & discouple engine, but can you design a robot? Bro in any perspective I'm not sure you're better to me. What course in your school days that you can lecture very well without worries?

I too you that he would call you technician or craftsman yet he hasn't gotten. A single prototype or patent

I told you
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by ariesbull: 5:53am On Oct 18, 2018
hargbajaylorla:
It hurts me whenever I come across something like this.
To me oo, I think the Polytechnic graduate have more practical experience than their university counterpart. The only thing a university graduate can use to do show off is his theoretical knowledge which is even outdated. The same theory that is been thought in 1945 is still the same thing they are teaching us in 2018. No new ideas, no new invention, no new innovation, all they know is theory X, Y, Z. e.t.c. All this things are not applicable in the real world.
We need to restructure our education sector in Nigeria.
To me o, the real engineers are the road side engineers, while the so-called university engineers who can't fix ordinary electrical switch are the QUACK ENGINEERS.

Proudly a technologist

Most firms prefer Polytechnic graduates ... University ones are busy dishing out ancient theories
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by ariesbull: 6:03am On Oct 18, 2018
blackgold2018:
Reading through some comments I saw a whole mechanical graduate claiming engineering is theory and anybody can do the practical. I give up.
While I came here for my own enquiry though. Please what are the basic IT knowledge an engineer should know or learn after graduation/Nysc??

Mechanical engineers in nigeria are write off
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 18, 2018
ariesbull:

I too you that he would call you technician or craftsman yet he hasn't gotten. A single prototype or patent

I told you
well I call that busybody, you may surprise he might not have been to the field of engineering. He probably an office engineer who just has little knowledge base on what he read.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by ariesbull: 5:05pm On Oct 18, 2018
Blyzz:
well I call that busybody, you may surprise he might not have been to the field of engineering. He probably an office engineer who just has little knowledge base on what he read.

Gbam....that's how they do

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Imoemi(m): 5:09pm On Oct 21, 2018
ngadaAwo:
I'm tired of explaining this to them

i have basic knowledge of internal combustion engine but expert in production both practically and theoretically

don't mind the Ignorant ones
Bro! I should be done in like a year or 2. How do I pursue a career in Mechanical Engineering? Like what's next after school?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by uuzba(m): 7:27am On Oct 22, 2018
Imoemi:

Bro! I should be done in like a year or 2. How do I pursue a career in Mechanical Engineering? Like what's next after school?

In this Nigeria, you apply for a job.
Get in touch with NSE. Nigerian society of Engineers. Try to the certification.
The certification process will let you know what type of job to do that is best for Mechanical engineering.
-
On the flip side, survival is key and you might find yourself diverging from Engineering completely to another field so you can survive, pay house rent and marry. It isn't by force. It's all your choice.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by uuzba(m): 7:46am On Oct 22, 2018
ariesbull:

Mechanical engineers in nigeria are write off

In developed countries, the government's intent is key.
You may notice that foreign countries (white people) take pride in being able to solve problems. There was the famous moon race of the 50's and 60's. First to send a rocket to the moon
The president of America stated to the people that he will make sure America is the first to do it before Russia
-
After making such a statement, he equipped all the schools, nursery, secondary, primary, university, and technical with all materials , equipments and funds required to bring out the best minds to create the rockets to go to space.
Importation of goods or services was totally banished. They set a national goal and they made sure they achieved the goal without technical assistance from foreign countries.

This is the type of setup that makes Engineering thrive .

In Nigeria, the government does not set any goal. Schools and laboratories are not equipped with anything. No light to even run computer.
And whenever they need anything, they never make it a national request. They just import it, bypassing ALL the engineering and technical support from the people.

Even a thing as CAR. One would think that the government would support INNOSON vehicles. That the entire presidential fleet will be innoson vehicle. That buhari would have visited the place and equipped it and made sure graduates get positions there. That we cab proudly call it made in Nigerian car by Nigerians.

Instead, Mr innisons life I made difficult. Recently taken to court. Unfair competitive advantage by others importing cars and vehicles from all over the world.

If you keep importing whatever you need how are Nigerian engineers encouraged to do anything? You already have what you want why will you buy their own?

If you didn't have what you want (ban in importation) then you will be forced to patronise locally made goods. And if you complain about the quality, it will be improved with time.

Engineering is a thing of National pride. The
President HAS TO WANT IT, before it will work.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by uuzba(m): 8:08am On Oct 22, 2018
hargbajaylorla:
It hurts me whenever I come across something like this.
To me oo, I think the Polytechnic graduate have more practical experience than their university counterpart. The only thing a university graduate can use to do show off is his theoretical knowledge which is even outdated. The same theory that is been thought in 1945 is still the same thing they are teaching us in 2018. No new ideas, no new invention, no new innovation, all they know is theory X, Y, Z. e.t.c. All this things are not applicable in the real world.
We need to restructure our education sector in Nigeria.
To me o, the real engineers are the road side engineers, while the so-called university engineers who can't fix ordinary electrical switch are the QUACK ENGINEERS.

Proudly a technologist

As you may realise, practically producing anything requires equipment and electricity.
IPhone was produced inside a factory in China. Some electronic machines are programmed to press this and bend that and fix the other.

The machine costs a lot of £££££.
One person cannot afford the machine
The machine cannot work without electricity
-
Nigerian university education is deprived of equipment and light. They just collect school fees money to pay salary.
The federal government university is the one where the federal government supports the university by buying and setting up this type of iPhone machine equipment and providing electricity and computers. Providing ALL the infrastructure required for the practical education. When this is done, the lecturers have practical updated knowledge that they can share with the students.
-
What happens in Nigeria is that when the Education budget is read, the president sees the figure of money and refuses to approve the sum for education. He rather approves the sum for importation of finished items like A4 sheet and photocopying machine. Funny right? I believe we all heard how much the national assembly spends on A4 sheet and photocopying machine some years back.
-
When you keep importing finished goods for your pleasure, you deprive Nigerian universities of equipment and light meant for progress. The lecturers have no choice but to lecture old notes, and collect their salary. They cannot personally purchase expensive equipment to be used to show the students practicals.

This is why engineering students end up with theoretical knowledge.

Anyone who is not disheartened then faces the challenge of furthering education overseas with practicals or purchasing tools and equipment by himself to make a small workshop where he can fabricate things which can give him a better grounding in practical knowhow. This will cost you some money. Most graduates at this time will be looking for jobs, salary, how to pay house rent and marry. They won't have anything to spend for equipment or personal workshop. They''ve already spent all their money on school fees.
The highest equipment they can afford at this time is laptop and phone.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by uuzba(m): 8:22am On Oct 22, 2018
ngadaAwo:
ok

outside the real world production aspect of engineering can be seen everywhere and everyday unlike plant

for example if you visit a foundry shop or a crankshaft industry you'll see things yourself

I choose production because it gives you room for self development and entrepreneurship in your field
for example if you really studied well like me (not boasting oo)
you can easily design construct and mass produce mechanical fasteners easily with your CNC cheesy
all you need is just a workshop and a CNC machine and boom you're now a production company cheesy

again in foundry field which is a multi million naira field
many people that knows what's up are taping into it
you wonder where those metal scrap picking guys deposit their scrap metals?
yes it's in foundry shops
they will melt it down cast it into billets and resell to steel producing companies
many opportunities in production aspects of mechanical engineering i can't write down
Just a clue

What you state here costs a lot of money
I worked in a place where the man was a fabricator.
As of the time I joined, he was running round Lagos state looking for contracts.
His equipment cost millions of Naira and he wasn't making it despite being in this business for so many years.
He used to borrow money to pay salaries.. Borrow to buy and produced whatever fabrication hoping that the client will pay back complete.
Plus NEPA bill, omonile and Agbero tamparing with his fabrications. He was just spending, spending, spending.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Greatken007(m): 12:56am On Oct 24, 2018
Please forgive him for he doesn't know what he is doing. For me i will say i forgive you, Go and sin no more.

He felt everything about mechanical is simply on engine repairs.
montumonami:
very unprofessional

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Greatken007(m): 1:02am On Oct 24, 2018
You are very backward... Stop using the reverse gear to move forward. You have ordinary ND and you are raising dust here, you better sit up.
Blyzz:
OK, I'll play with my fellow technician. You claiming to be an engineer, yet you've not invented anything in your life, you don't even know the procedures to produce a bolt. Yes, i know robot can be program to couple & discouple engine, but can you design a robot? Bro in any perspective I'm not sure you're better to me. What course in your school days that you can lecture very well without worries?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 25, 2018
Greatken007:
You are very backward... Stop using the reverse gear to move forward. You have ordinary ND and you are raising dust here, you better sit up.
You're the most backward one. Silly response and uncooked one indeed. Point of correction, National Diploma and not ordinary. I'm clever to you in all perspective. You lack manners
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by BarristerAlarig: 12:36pm On Oct 25, 2018
ariesbull:

Don't even call yourself an engineer as they would say! You just have a freaking HND

ask NSE ?

They would call you technician

What? shocked shocked shocked HND + PGD in same Engineering field is licensed as an Engineer...

You should be asking NSE.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by BarristerAlarig: 12:43pm On Oct 25, 2018
Blyzz:
You're the most backward one. Silly response and uncooked one indeed. Point of correction, National Diploma and not ordinary. I'm clever to you in all perspective. You lack manners

Bros, calm down.. Stop making Polytechnic students/graduates look dumb.

Try reading through your post before submitting.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by BarristerAlarig: 1:02pm On Oct 25, 2018

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 25, 2018
BarristerAlarig:

Bros, calm down.. Stop making Polytechnic students/graduates look dumb.

Try reading through your post before submitting.
No Bros you calm down, stop quoting me like you know it all Mr dullard.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by BarristerAlarig: 1:18pm On Oct 25, 2018
Blyzz:
No Bros you calm down, stop quoting me like you know it all Mr dullard.

Child!!!

Take several sits!
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 25, 2018
BarristerAlarig:

Child!!!

Take several sits!
Uncle learn good manners and how to approach people, I never started this conversation with you, silly ass.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 25, 2018
BarristerAlarig:

Child!!!

Take several sits!
maybe I should be reticent to your quote or rather a deafen ears. Your quote are irritating. Don't quote me
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by BarristerAlarig: 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2018
Blyzz:
Uncle learn good manners and how to approach people, I never started this conversation with you, silly ass.

You are rude!... I understand your frustrations. But you should learn not to transfer your frustrations on an innocent party.

Grow up!!

Child!!!!
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by BarristerAlarig: 6:02pm On Oct 25, 2018
Blyzz:
maybe I should be reticent to your quote or rather a deafen ears. Your quote are irritating. Don't quote me

Or you could enrol for English classes.

Childish Illiterate!!!

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Sirwallace(m): 3:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
So when you are looking for friends you blurt out all your 3 names? Have you tried introducing yourself to a babe you met on the road like this?
-
Besides this is a public forum where anonymity is key. It's not like there is any FORM here that you are filling with all these details.

Na wa o.
Go and learn how to introduce yourself to strangers/potential business partners Or else you'd be seen as some ackward desperate guy and the stranger will just run away. [/quote]
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by UniversalDove: 12:41am On Oct 27, 2018
Blyzz:
this is not about the school. If you're face with mechanical engineering questions, can you handle?
ok now no problem
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 17, 2018
alatbaba1:

my brother don't .... don't start what u can't finish.
Hahaha
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers... by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 17, 2018
A thread that was created for mechanical/productive minds to share ideas and connect has been turned to a thread of ego, over-bloated at that. One problem Africans, particularly Nigerians, have is pride, they cannot do without personal glory. To think that a supposed OND graduate came into the thread, posted a message challenging BEng graduates to a "war of engines" is shameful and not praiseworthy. We are supposed to be happy to see like minds, tackle problems and not resort to shoulder tussle unnecessarily. If you're really good with whatever you are bragging about, you should know better. A man cannot make a forest, everyone works hand-in-hand in a civil society and, all Engineering cadres support one another in the daily ops. While you may detest the average Nigerian engineer for lack of practical skill you should also blame the government as with every other sector of the economy. It is foolish and out of place to compare Nigerian engineers to engineers in developed nations where the government and the society got everything all figured out for them before their birth. Believe it or not, if all engineers were to learn the nitty-gritty of engines and what you guys are arguing about, some of the OND and HND graduates will be unemployed or worst, employers will take you guys in because of cheap labour. Yes! The role of an Engineer is different from that of an Engineering Technician or technologist but that doesn't mean Engineers shouldn't get their hands dirty.

I am a fresh graduate of Production Engineering, some of us wants to get our hands dirty but there's nowhere to look at. We have the passion, the drive, resilience, intelligence and problem-solving skills yet, if we can't put these things to use, in no distant-time we will lose them. According to the President of NIIE (Industrial Engineers Association), Prof. Oluleye, in a conference in FUPRE, WARRI, he said and rightly so "the half-life of an Engineer used to be five years, today it is less".

As a closing remark, I want us to put our ego aside. You should come in and introduce yourself whilst we connect. I am hoping to meet smart and knowledge loving engineers. Any Production Engineer in here? Cheers!

PS: Ignore any typo, typing a long message on mobile is an arduous task for me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Female Bankers Truly Executive Prostitute? / Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment / Do You Work Well Under Pressure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.