Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? (12220 Views)

You Anoint My Head with Oil........Psalm 23:5. (THE TRUE MEANING!) / As A Christian, Is Court Wedding In Place Of Church Wedding Acceptable By God? / Benevolent Muslims In The House! A Christian Needs To Eat Sallah Ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Vince77(m): 10:11am On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 35.

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Modarun(m): 10:12am On Oct 14, 2018
Hakeem12:
The usual definition of a miracle is an event not explicable by natural or scientific laws. By that definition, no miracle has ever been proven to have happened, so we can say that miracles are not real.

The miracles attributed to Jesus in the New Testament were written down more than forty years after Jesus is said to have lived and were, at best, based on hearsay or, at worst were literary creations designed to foster belief in the newly emerging faith. Acts of the Apostles is now believed to have been written early in the second century, when the events it portrayed were already a whole lifetime in the past. Whereas Actscould portray Peter and Paul as having long ago performed miracles, this was a luxury Paul could not indulge in when writing his epistles because those to whom he wrote his epistles actually knew him and could challenge any claim to having performed a great miracle.

So it was throughout the early centuries of Christianity. Miracles were always reported as taking place in a more distant place or time, such that readers of the accounts were unlikely to be able to challenge the truth of the miracles.

When Catholicism began to become more involved with the veneration of the Virgin Mary, there was a lot of interest in whether she would appear and provide messages of support. She soon began to appear, but her appearances were generally to poor children in remote communities. Children who reported seeing a strange woman in the neighbourhood were encouraged to elaborate on their stories until they became clearer visions of the virgin Mary, but disinterested adults were never able to confirm the sightings.

The important Mexican Guadalupe tradition is of a poor Indian named Juan Diego who saw a vision of the Virgin Mary on 9th December 1531, barely ten years after the Spanish Conquest, asking him to have a chapel built in Tepeyac in her honour. 9th December is the day after the feast of the Immaculate Conception. This tradition is unknown until we find it written down a hundred years later by Father Miguel Sanchez.

Random events, such as remission of disease or survival of natural disasters are sometimes spoken of as miracles, but these can be excluded because atheists and people of every possible faith are equally likely to survive.

Perhaps we could redefine a miracle as the record of an amazing event that supposedly took place long ago or in some distant place, such that it is no longer possible to refute the evidence.

Bit your Quran stated it clearly that Jesus raosed the dead and gave life? did it not?

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Hakeem12(m): 10:13am On Oct 14, 2018
Modarun:

Bit your Quran stated it clearly that Jesus raosed the dead and gave life? did it not?
yeah the Quran stated it, but what other evidence exixts for it other than that it says so. And besides. I'm not a muslim
Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by pastorjesuseun1: 10:19am On Oct 14, 2018
Call the name Jah 7x and read Ps 147 7x quickly when snake bite someone then command the snake poison to come out in the name of the father,the son,the holy spirt, through the of Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen 100 percent used and work all is in Yoruba I have to use my little wisdom to translate it ni oo

2 Likes

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by fashionbabe: 10:33am On Oct 14, 2018
Hakeem12:
The usual definition of a miracle is an event not explicable by natural or scientific laws. By that definition, no miracle has ever been proven to have happened, so we can say that miracles are not real.

The miracles attributed to Jesus in the New Testament were written down more than forty years after Jesus is said to have lived and were, at best, based on hearsay or, at worst were literary creations designed to foster belief in the newly emerging faith. Acts of the Apostles is now believed to have been written early in the second century, when the events it portrayed were already a whole lifetime in the past. Whereas Actscould portray Peter and Paul as having long ago performed miracles, this was a luxury Paul could not indulge in when writing his epistles because those to whom he wrote his epistles actually knew him and could challenge any claim to having performed a great miracle.

So it was throughout the early centuries of Christianity. Miracles were always reported as taking place in a more distant place or time, such that readers of the accounts were unlikely to be able to challenge the truth of the miracles.

When Catholicism began to become more involved with the veneration of the Virgin Mary, there was a lot of interest in whether she would appear and provide messages of support. She soon began to appear, but her appearances were generally to poor children in remote communities. Children who reported seeing a strange woman in the neighbourhood were encouraged to elaborate on their stories until they became clearer visions of the virgin Mary, but disinterested adults were never able to confirm the sightings.

The important Mexican Guadalupe tradition is of a poor Indian named Juan Diego who saw a vision of the Virgin Mary on 9th December 1531, barely ten years after the Spanish Conquest, asking him to have a chapel built in Tepeyac in her honour. 9th December is the day after the feast of the Immaculate Conception. This tradition is unknown until we find it written down a hundred years later by Father Miguel Sanchez.

Random events, such as remission of disease or survival of natural disasters are sometimes spoken of as miracles, but these can be excluded because atheists and people of every possible faith are equally likely to survive.

Perhaps we could redefine a miracle as the record of an amazing event that supposedly took place long ago or in some distant place, such that it is no longer possible to refute the evidence.
Jehova witness member
Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Jaymarius(f): 10:35am On Oct 14, 2018
PSALM 20
20:1 In times of trouble, may the lord answer your cry. May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm.
20:2 May he send you help from his sanctuary and strengthen you from Jerusalem.
20:3 May he remember all your gifts and look favorably on your burnt offerings.Interlude
20:4 May he grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed.
20:5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory banner in the name of our God. May the lord answer all your prayers.
20:6 Now I know that the lord rescues his anointed king. He will answer him from his holy heaven and rescue him by his great power.
20:7 Some nations boast of their chariots and horses, but we boast in the name of the lord our God.
20:8 Those nations will fall down and collapse, but we will rise up and stand firm.
20:9 Give victory to our king, O lord! Answer our cry for help.

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by brian91(m): 10:37am On Oct 14, 2018
post=72069143:

Here comes the judge of the WORLD.
God bless you for your judgement, the man who commits no sin.

We @ love you , but JESUS LOVES YOU more! wink cheesy

Seriously, beginning to like you. Earlier perception fading. Those politicians u earlier crave can definitely taint ur cool personality smileyKeep it up. #brotherlyLove.

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Chinny024(f): 10:46am On Oct 14, 2018
Psalms 20...It's been victorious all the way... It's my daily prayer where I lay down my requests...
Am more than a conqueror!!!

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by k2039: 10:55am On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 109

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Abooh: 11:21am On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 91

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Wendycakes(f): 11:34am On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 91

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by nma4god(f): 11:53am On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 119.........always touching the deepest part of my soul
I love you Lord.

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by RhemaJet7(m): 12:01pm On Oct 14, 2018
dopemama:
Happy Sunday to you all! So I ll like to ask, which chapter of psalm is your favourite or works for you? And what situation prompts you to use them? Pls share so others can learn too, Happy Sunday once again.

Every word of God is POWERFUL Hebrews 4:12

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by JeogahII(m): 12:02pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 27
can't forget how God used that scripture to assured me that I will die when my place was under gun fire, I eventually lost my dad in that attack
Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Adesolomon2014(m): 12:12pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 24

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by dopemama(f): 12:50pm On Oct 14, 2018
Jaymarius:
PSALM 20
20:1 In times of trouble, may the lord answer your cry. May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm.
20:2 May he send you help from his sanctuary and strengthen you from Jerusalem.
20:3 May he remember all your gifts and look favorably on your burnt offerings.Interlude
20:4 May he grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed.
20:5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory banner in the name of our God. May the lord answer all your prayers.
20:6 Now I know that the lord rescues his anointed king. He will answer him from his holy heaven and rescue him by his great power.
20:7 Some nations boast of their chariots and horses, but we boast in the name of the lord our God.
20:8 Those nations will fall down and collapse, but we will rise up and stand firm.
20:9 Give victory to our king, O lord! Answer our cry for help.
God bless you plenty

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by DavidEsq(m): 12:51pm On Oct 14, 2018
post=72068541:

Some people can't simply stop talking out of point and over the bar sha!!

Dopemama, great thread by you jor!
Those who talk "into the point" Oya share ur understanding of Psalms. After all, Psalms 9:9 says: "Share with a wise person, and he will become wiser. Teach someone righteous, and he will add to his learning".
Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Truth801(m): 1:23pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 51 (KJV)

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.

For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.

Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

2 Likes

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by internetservice: 1:42pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 34
NIV:I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.
NIV:I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
NIV:Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together.
NIV:I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
NIV:Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.
NIV:This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.
NIV:The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
NIV:Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
NIV:Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing.
NIV:The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
NIV:Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
NIV:Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
NIV:keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.
NIV:Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
NIV:The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry;
NIV:but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to blot out their name from the earth.
NIV:The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
NIV:The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
NIV:The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all;
NIV:he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.
NIV:Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
NIV:The Lord will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

2 Likes

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Amora18: 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 24

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by internetservice: 1:44pm On Oct 14, 2018
and Psalm 44

NIV:We have heard it with our ears, O God; our ancestors have told us what you did in their days, in days long ago.

NIV:With your hand you drove out the nations and planted our ancestors; you crushed the peoples and made our ancestors flourish.

NIV:It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.

NIV:You are my King and my God, who decrees victories for Jacob.

NIV:Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes.

NIV:I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory;

NIV:but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame.

NIV:In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever.

NIV:But now you have rejected and humbled us; you no longer go out with our armies.

NIV:You made us retreat before the enemy, and our adversaries have plundered us.

NIV:You gave us up to be devoured like sheep and have scattered us among the nations.

NIV:You sold your people for a pittance, gaining nothing from their sale.

NIV:You have made us a reproach to our neighbors, the scorn and derision of those around us.

NIV:You have made us a byword among the nations; the peoples shake their heads at us.

NIV:I live in disgrace all day long, and my face is covered with shame

NIV:at the taunts of those who reproach and revile me, because of the enemy, who is bent on revenge.

NIV:All this came upon us, though we had not forgotten you; we had not been false to your covenant.

NIV:Our hearts had not turned back; our feet had not strayed from your path.

NIV:But you crushed us and made us a haunt for jackals; you covered us over with deep darkness.

NIV:If we had forgotten the name of our God or spread out our hands to a foreign god,

NIV:would not God have discovered it, since he knows the secrets of the heart?

NIV:Yet for your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.

NIV:Awake, Lord! Why do you sleep? Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever.

NIV:Why do you hide your face and forget our misery and oppression?

NIV:We are brought down to the dust; our bodies cling to the ground.

NIV:Rise up and help us; rescue us because of your unfailing love.

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by DavidEsq(m): 1:47pm On Oct 14, 2018
fashionbabe:
Jehova witness member
Pls dats not a Jehovah's witness, abeg u.
Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Billygee2u: 1:50pm On Oct 14, 2018
post=72068434:
Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Uses: The powers of darkness are not to be feared, for the Lord, our light, destroys them; and the damnation of hell is not to be dreaded by us, for the Lord is our salvation.
Call upon The Lord when you are down and he will never disappoint you.
[b][/b] say so!
Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Krixnimbus(m): 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 91 v 7 √√√

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Krixnimbus(m): 1:57pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 91 v 7
Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by barristerzinny(f): 2:12pm On Oct 14, 2018
post=72068434:
Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Uses: The powers of darkness are not to be feared, for the Lord, our light, destroys them; and the damnation of hell is not to be dreaded by us, for the Lord is our salvation.
Call upon The Lord when you are down and he will never disappoint you.
[b][/b] say so!
so you are a Christian, I thought you are a Muslim?

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by DavidEsq(m): 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2018
Sleekfingers:

If u don't know...psalm na incantation...what's the meaning of incantation?.....

Spiritism has nothing to do with Christianity. Those taking the book of psalms as incantation are those whom Revelation 18:2 refer to.
See also Deuteronomy 18:10-11 also states: "There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, anyone practicing magic, anyone who looks for omens, a sorcerer, 11 anyone binding others with a spell, anyone who consults a spirit medium or a fortune-teller, or anyone who inquires of the dead".
Lastly see the definition of incantation:

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by mentorken05(m): 3:39pm On Oct 14, 2018
Psalm 121

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by Fyngal1(f): 4:16pm On Oct 14, 2018
psalm 91

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by bimgo: 4:18pm On Oct 14, 2018
psalm 91

1 Like

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:24pm On Oct 14, 2018
barristerzinny:
so you are a Christian, I thought you are a Muslim?
Yes, we are.
We have Muslims as friends and clients also.
We will never allow religious, tribal sentiment or political affinity stop us from loving each other as God commands.
Life is more than politics.
Do have a blessed and wonderful week ahead Barrister.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:38pm On Oct 14, 2018
brian91:

Seriously, beginning to like you. Earlier perception fading. Those politicians u earlier crave can definitely taint ur cool personality smileyKeep it up. #brotherlyLove.

Thank you for the compliments Ola.
We will never let political affinity stop us from loving others as God commands.
Life is more than politics.
A better Nigeria is what we all want.
Do have a blessed and wonderful week ahead OlaBrian.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

HINDUISM RELIGION!!! INDIA SPIRITUAL TEMPLE!!! SOLUTION TO PROBLEMS!! / What Can We Learn From The Life Of Samson? / Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.