Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,884 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club (8175 Views)

Effective Reading And Writing Tips, For Students And Teachers. / Gidi Readers Club - Whatsapp Group / Best World Readers Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 12:41pm On Oct 17, 2018
IZIBLAZE4JESUS:
Nicely written. Just in time. Readers are Leaders. Do you think our Nigerian Leaders read?

We all know the answer. The truth is that a well-read mind is in a more advantageous position than a mind which doesn’t read or seek information for mental and personal growth.

Reading is key to gaining wisdom, but beyond raw knowledge and information, a good book can inspire us with the ideas it presents and empower us to come up with our own ideas and open our mind to a whole new world of possibilities.
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 12:45pm On Oct 17, 2018
saintruky:

Could u email it to me pls..
excelglobaltd@gmail.com thx

Sure.. Sent
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by musicwriter(m): 12:46pm On Oct 17, 2018
PS. You can still watch your favourite show but instead of watching two or four shows, limit it to one and exchange the other hour for reading time. This way you get the best of both worlds (Tv and books)

January this year, I had to remove my TV from the wall and later gave it to someone, then I discovered Television could be a problem. The decision has been very rewarding since I stopped watching it.

2 Likes

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2018
Osemond123:
I find it hard to read, seriously don't know why. Have been reading Rich dad and poor dad for almost a month now. cry

May be it's the nature of your job, you have little or no time for reading books or you find it boring.

Reading needs a lot of patience because it takes a while to find a clear point. You need to understand that books provide less inherent stimuli compared to games, sports or "tweeting" that give immediate reward. Books rely on the readers' imagination to fill in the blanks and generate the immersion required.

For effective reading, you have to concentrate on the book alone. Do away with any form of distraction like social media and pending work at that moment. The constant hopping from one task to another will exhaust you because it takes more energy to shift one's attention from task to task. (Neurochemical depletion).

know what is best for u
For now read good books that give rapid rewards
Take your time and read at your pace, it not a competition.
You are not doing bad. It took me weeks to finish Rich Dad Poor Dad after many failed attempt.

If you try all these and you still find it difficult to read due to concentration, consider audio books . I have the [i]Rich Dad Poor Dad[/I] audio and eBook should you care for it.
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 3:01pm On Oct 17, 2018
robby1:
At first glance, I thought I saw political tips for effective rigging. What's wrong with me cry

cool grin , Imagine if a writer wrote a book on that in this election period. #Bestselling cheesy
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2018
okwabayi:
The truth is, that CEOs thing is a myth. It is not wholly confirmed. Mark learned to read books not too long ago. He, just like me and a few other readers, started because he realized the most successful people in the world are readers.
Bill Gates also mentioned once he didn’t read as many books as people associate him with.

The tips here are really good but don’t forget in this country a lot of book vendors consume their products heavily and still do not make it out of their mundane existence.
Why did I even use that example, professors in universities, nko? Most of them are only a wealth of outdated knowledge and possess no physical accomplishments.

Books are overrated. They are an outdated form of information transfer.

I have had this argument before. Some said books are overrated while some said books are underrated. Overrated or underated, reading is certainly better than not reading. It's not just reading anything, finding quality content matters the most and it's often hard to find. Some contents can have a big impact to someone and nothing to others.

The tips here are really good but don’t forget in this country a lot of book vendors consume their products heavily and still do not make it out of their mundane existence.
Effective reading goes beyond just skimming or scanning which the vendors do mostly. It requires one to read deeply, understand and apply the ideas and lesson to the challenges of life.

Why did I even use that example, professors in universities, nko? Most of them are only a wealth of outdated knowledge and possess no physical accomplishments.
If I may ask, how do one earn professorship if not via reading, research and contribution to the society. Remember the "now outdated knowledge" was useful during their time.

Probably you are looking at the subject of the matter from one angle.

2 Likes

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 5:27pm On Oct 17, 2018
okwabayi:
I’m here wondering what the difference is between reading and studying. How do I get better at the latter?
I have the reading part down to a T but how does studying compare to it? Most Nigerian parents, teachers also, don’t know how to explain/differentiate both actions.
Most times when they can they refuse to pass the knowledge on — choosing to keep it so they can oppress the ignorant majority.

From my perspective, the difference between reading and studying in one sentence is:
You read to know, you study to retain.

Studying is goal specific and it requires active participation like thinking, memorizing and acquiring knowledge.

Reading might be understanding, but not necessarily acquiring. For example, reading a newspaper.

The two words are interwoven and can used interchangeably depending on the context. For instance to learn a new skill from a book, you need to read and study. By studying, you read and re-read, practise and master it.

In this article "Reading" also means "Studying"
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 5:39pm On Oct 17, 2018
OgbeniSamm:
I love this thread. I need books on Financial Education. Any recommendation please? IV read the ones I have.
Thanks.

Have you read the books recommended by @shollish and @Samueloladapo ? They are great books. You can start with "The Richest Man in Babylon" I will gladly be of help in getting the books should you find it difficult.

2 Likes

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 17, 2018
shollish:
Yes oh

Readers are Leaders!
I had a negative vibe for reading earlier, i hated reading, i read because I had to. But now ny mentality changed I ventured into reading some books recently, I must confess its really good and helpful.

Some good books you can start with are
1) 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey
2) Richest Man in Babylon by George Classon
3) How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
4) Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
5) 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene.
6) How To Talk To Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere by Larry King
7) Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
cool Art Of War by Sun Tzu
9) Power Of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr Joseph Murphy
10) Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

It's better you buy them in bookstores (paperback) that's when you will value them most.
i read some of them in Pdf sha

please can u send them to me ? I would be highly grateful sir

.I find reading boring and stressful yet am still kinda brilliant but I want to make reading an easy thing to engage in
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by jiggar(m): 6:17pm On Oct 17, 2018
rammytt:

Thanks.

Have you read the books recommended by @shollish and @Samueloladapo ? They are great books. You can start with "The Richest Man in Babylon" I will gladly be of help in getting the books should you find it difficult.
"Taps mic and clears throat"

These are the kind of threads, I love to follow.

Please send me the ebook of "The Richest Man in Babylon". And other mind enhancing ebooks, you think, that can help me read more effectively.

God bless....... lastborn511@gmail.com

"Drops mic and leaves"

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by OgbeniSamm(m): 9:15pm On Oct 17, 2018
rammytt:

Thanks.

I live in Lagos. Where are you please? I only read some Robert Kiyosaki's book on financial education. I think I will get this richest man in Babylon book. You are the second person that recommended it to me in the last 24hrs

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by saintruky(m): 10:50am On Oct 19, 2018
rammytt:

Sure.. Sent

I receive thanks
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 4:53pm On Oct 19, 2018
jiggar:

"Taps mic and clears throat"

These are the kind of threads, I love to follow.

Please send me the ebook of "The Richest Man in Babylon". And other mind enhancing ebooks, you think, that can help me read more effectively.

God bless....... lastborn511@gmail.com

"Drops mic and leaves"

Thanks.

The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino

Sent.
Let's start with these.

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2018
saintruky:

I receive thanks

It's a pleasure. Anytime bro
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 5:07pm On Oct 19, 2018
OgbeniSamm:

I live in Lagos. Where are you please? I only read some Robert Kiyosaki's book on financial education. I think I will get this richest man in Babylon book. You are the second person that recommended it to me in the last 24hrs

I live in Lagos. My office is around Pen Cinema, Agege. It's a nice book. It talks about the essential truths of wealth creation. Most of the principles it teaches are constant and applicable.

Control thy expenditures: don't spend more than you need.

Make your gold multiply: invest wisely.

Your treasures from loss: avoid investments that sound too good to be true.

Pay yourself first and save at least 1/10th of what you earn.

And many more....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by OgbeniSamm(m): 11:28pm On Oct 19, 2018
rammytt:

I live in Lagos. My office is around Pen Cinema, Agege. It's a nice book. It talks about the essential truths of wealth creation. Most of the principles it teaches are constant and applicable.

Control thy expenditures: don't spend more than you need.

Make your gold multiply: invest wisely.

Your treasures from loss: avoid investments that sound too good to be true.

Pay yourself first and save at least 1/10th of what you earn.

And many more....

Let's get talking. My email is gboyega05@gmail.com. kindly send me your WhatsApp number. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 12:59am On Oct 20, 2018
OgbeniSamm:

Let's get talking. My email is gboyega05@gmail.com. kindly send me your WhatsApp number. Thanks

I don't really do more of WhatsApp. You can ask me anything here and with that we will all benefit. I'm also learning and I like constructive criticism.

I have emailed you my number.

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by OgbeniSamm(m): 8:30am On Oct 20, 2018
rammytt:

I don't really do more of WhatsApp. You can ask me anything here and with that we will all benefit. I'm also learning and I like constructive criticism.

I have emailed you my number.

Okay, thanks
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by saintruky(m): 11:58am On Oct 20, 2018
rammytt:

It's a pleasure. Anytime bro

Kindly send if u got more interesting ones.. Let my reading culture start through ur benevolence

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by wdcouture(f): 9:51am On Jan 06, 2020
I stumbled across this thread. One of the best I have seen a while. Sir/Ma, please we need you back. I need suggestions on good books. Reading your comments awoken the zeal in me and I want to start 2020 on a good note.
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by wdcouture(f): 9:52am On Jan 06, 2020
OgbeniSamm:

Please can you share the number? Is there a reader's club to this post?
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by wdcouture(f): 9:53am On Jan 06, 2020
Superb. Thumbs up

rammytt:

I have had this argument before. Some said books are overrated while some said books are underrated. Overrated or underated, reading is certainly better than not reading. It's not just reading anything, finding quality content matters the most and it's often hard to find. Some contents can have a big impact to someone and nothing to others.

Effective reading goes beyond just skimming or scanning which the vendors do mostly. It requires one to read deeply, understand and apply the ideas and lesson to the challenges of life.

If I may ask, how do one earn professorship if not via reading, research and contribution to the society. Remember the "now outdated knowledge" was useful during their time.

Probably you are looking at the subject of the matter from one angle.
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by cdyfoundation(m): 12:52pm On Jan 06, 2020
Are these books paperback or electronic? I would like to have some. Do you have the "Alchemist" ? I heard it's a nice book.
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by cdyfoundation(m): 12:53pm On Jan 06, 2020
Abeg make una share books with me o. Help my reading habit
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by damianchiemezie(m): 3:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
saintruky:

Could u email it to me pls..
excelglobaltd@gmail.com thx

Pls email also to me:

maintainmain900@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by OgbeniSamm(m): 2:49pm On Jan 07, 2020
wdcouture:

Please can you share the number? Is there a reader's club to this post?

Send me a mail. gboyega05@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by wdcouture(f): 1:15am On Jan 08, 2020
OgbeniSamm:

Send me a mail. gboyega05@gmail.com

OK. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by wdcouture(f): 1:18am On Jan 08, 2020
What are you reading presently? Anybody!
As for me "Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 8:55pm On Jan 08, 2020
saintruky:

Kindly send if u got more interesting ones.. Let my reading culture start through ur benevolence

Ok
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 8:58pm On Jan 08, 2020
wdcouture:
I stumbled across this thread. One of the best I have seen a while. Sir/Ma, please we need you back. I need suggestions on good books. Reading your comments awoken the zeal in me and I want to start 2020 on a good note.

It's "Sir" the name is Bala Michael. Thanks for the compliment. Bn very busy lately. I will be back soon. You can always make your request. I'm sure ppl will come your aid. Happy 2020
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 8:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
damianchiemezie:

Pls email also to me:

maintainmain900@gmail.com

Which book in particular?
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 9:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
wdcouture:
What are you reading presently? Anybody!
As for me "Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight

Shoe Dog "Phil Knight memoirs about creating Nike" is a nice read. A reminder of what the path to business success really looks like.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

From Nigeria With Love: Part 3 (A Romance Mystery Story By Kayode Odusanya) / Free Wallpaper Dwnlds: **new:chelsea, Barca, Manu, Arsenal** Updated 26/04/2008 / Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.